Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Religulous Trailer
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Religulous Trailer  (Read 39587 times)
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »

One of his points that he made near the end of the film was that all the normal, everyday people who are faithful to some sort of higher power only lend credibility to the religious nutcases and thereby empower them. I would totally agree with that sentiment.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2009, 02:45:41 PM »

One of his points that he made near the end of the film was that all the normal, everyday people who are faithful to some sort of higher power only lend credibility to the religious nutcases and thereby empower them. I would totally agree with that sentiment.

But doesn't that apply to almost any issue?  Think about all the people acting on your behalf, whether you want them to or not.  The anti-smoking crusaders, for example.  They're the most unwilling to compromise group of nuts (besides the religious right) I've ever seen, yet every person who would be perfectly happy to have a few non-smoking bars/restaurants lends credibility.  Most people can accept choice, but the wingnuts co-opt them into the cause because of one partially shared sentiment. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »

I like Bill - he reminds me of me  Grin Saw the movie recently, loved it.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »

You should congratulate yourself on your awesomeness. It feels great, trust me.

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2009, 05:44:50 PM »

You should congratulate yourself on your awesomeness. It feels great, trust me.

Don't worry, I'm way ahead of you.

Maybe the movie was biased and picked bad examples, but one person they interviewed was a US senator (Dem) who believes the rapture is imminent. When you scratch the surface and get them to say what they really think you either find religious people don't really believe any of it, and are just there for cultural/social reasons, or else they are nuts. There's not much of an in between.

kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2009, 11:14:21 PM »

I'm not gonna go too far with this because it will get me nowhere, and I'm smart enough to know that and see that I am outnumbered on this topic.  But, I do have to say that as a Christian, I think it is really hypocritical to so blindly judge Christians or religion if you are doing so because you don't think we have the right to try and tell people about our beliefs when you are doing exactly that.  I'm reading this, and feeling like I'm being attacked because of my beliefs, and that's just not okay.  I am a Christian, and I am proud of that, but the fact is I would never judge any group of people because of their beliefs because my God teaches me not to do that.  I know quite a few people that do not believe in God and have serious issues with organized religion, and I'll admit there are definite points of controversy to be found in the latter, but we have a mutual respect for one another because I don't judge them, and they seem to admire the fact that I do stand so strongly behind my faith.  I come from a family that has a colorful religious background, and I have learned acceptance through that along with my faith.  I don't like people banging on my door trying to preach to me either, so, before you decide that we are all idiots, think about what you are saying.  We really aren't all bad, and to think so is really the ultimate example of being close-minded.
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2009, 12:16:58 AM »

There is nothing hypocritical about my opinion on Christianity.

My big question to Christians is how can you account for the strikingly similar accounts of God like sons whose stories mirrored that of Jesus centuries before he even came on the scene?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:08:45 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »

Christianity is actually a rip-off from pagan religions.

Putting humans above nature and beliving in a supernatural god, right?
God derives from norse, meaning good.

The good sun. peace

Guess some people are into the biblical philospohy, meh...void of many things, like sexuality and agriculture f.x.

We really aren't all bad, and to think so is really the ultimate example of being close-minded.

But christianity is. Do this do that. No other religion. Kill the incircumsized. I think it's shallow and breeds shallow perspectives.

Not to the mention it's history...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:48:45 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »

Who gives a fuck about religion?

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »

We really aren't all bad, and to think so is really the ultimate example of being close-minded.

But christianity is. Do this do that. No other religion. Kill the incircumsized. I think it's shallow and breeds shallow perspectives.

Not to the mention it's history...

Wow... you really need to update your literature on what Christianity is about.  I am not shallow, nor am I uneducated, (as was stated in a different post).  I am not naive or deluded either.  I'm actually quite the opposite of all of those things, but you guys would never believe that because you have your view on what Christianity is, and nothing I say will change it.  I am obviously a lot more open-minded than a lot of people on here, as I have no problem accepting what you choose to believe, even though I may disagree.  My only real problem was with the generalizations and insults that have been splattered all over this thread, which in my opinion are totally ridiculous.

True Christianity is not bad.  The problem is that there are so many that claim the title of "Christian" and do not live it.  If all of those that call themselves Christian would actually live their lives the way that the Christian religion dictates, the world would be a much better place, and perhaps Christianity wouldn't have the reputation that it does.  I am not here to debate my beliefs, or to try and account for anything.  That's not why I responded.  Not that I can't; I just know that it's a waste of time.  Like I said before, it wouldn't matter what I said.  If you don't WANT to believe in God, even factual evidence couldn't make you, and I know that.  It's not something I will ever budge on; therefore, it would be an endless battle.  Besides, shoving my God down the throats of those that do not want to hear about it is not my idea of a good way to spread His message.  It's not what the scriptures say to do anyway.  I prefer to work at being an example of what Christianity is supposed to  be.  Hopefully, someone, somewhere will notice, and it may make a great change for their life.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »

I am not shallow, nor am I uneducated, (as was stated in a different post).  I am not naive or deluded either. 

I didn't claim you were, I was speaking about christianity, the religion. A lot of clever people are christians, I know ok

Hopefully, someone, somewhere will notice, and it may make a great change for their life.

Hopefully more christians makes a pact with the devil, the serpent.

Satan is resistance, satan is freedom and the only true god worthy of worship in the hebrew mythology imo.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »

I am not shallow, nor am I uneducated, (as was stated in a different post).  I am not naive or deluded either. 

I didn't claim you were, I was speaking about christianity, the religion. A lot of clever people are christians, I know ok

That's why I said it was stated in a different post.  Meaning, it wasn't said by you, but it was said.

Hopefully more christians makes a pact with the devil, the serpent.

Satan is resistance, satan is freedom and the only true god worthy of worship in the hebrew mythology imo.

I think that it's fair to say enough people have made this pact already when we look at the state of the world right now.  He doesn't need your help.  Satan is plenty powerful on his own, unfortunately. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:00:20 PM by kmorgan » Logged
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »

True Christianity is not bad.  The problem is that there are so many that claim the title of "Christian" and do not live it. 

Every Christian claims they are a 'true' Christian for obvious reasons. From an outside view there is clearly no such thing since your guidebook was so poorly written.

kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2009, 02:12:53 PM »

Well, since you really don't know me, you have no way to tell for sure.  You can think what you want.  Like I said, I'm not about trying to convince people I'm right.  I don't live my life trying to "talk" about what kind of a person I am, and I have no desire to try to make you believe I am anything.  I just try to let my actions speak for themselves, and defend myself when I feel  the need.

I'm sorry that you feel the Bible was poorly written.  I, on the other hand, as not only a Christian, but a literature major and teacher, feel that it is quite sound!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2009, 02:20:21 PM »

Well, since you really don't know me, you have no way to tell for sure.  You can think what you want.  Like I said, I'm not about trying to convince people I'm right.  I don't live my life trying to "talk" about what kind of a person I am, and I have no desire to try to make you believe I am anything.  I just try to let my actions speak for themselves, and defend myself when I feel  the need.

I'm sure you are a good person,  but there are non-religious people who are good, and there are Christians who are not. So you'll have to be more specific if you are claiming your actions define you as a Christian.

I'm sorry that you feel the Bible was poorly written.  I, on the other hand, as not only a Christian, but a literature major and teacher, feel that it is quite sound!

Are you serious? If it was well written we wouldn't be having this conversation. Why are there 38,000 different denominations?

kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »

I'm sure you are a good person,  but there are non-religious people who are good, and there are Christians who are not. So you'll have to be more specific if you are claiming your actions define you as a Christian.

I have already said as much.  Do you really think that because I'm a Christian, I think only other Christians are good people?  I just don't feel the need to shove my take on Christianity in the face of anyone that isn't going to believe it anyway.  But, since you asked, I do believe in a Christian God; I do not judge; I do not lie or steal... I practice the same basic, good, morals that a lot of people that aren't Christian practice as well.  I just also believe God, heaven and hell, and I have a faith that has been the only thing that gotten me through a lot of hard times.  I have someone that I can lay all of my problems on, and believe whole-heartedly, that they will be taken care of, and that gives me peace.  You can break all of that down and say that I am deluded, or that I am simple, and that's fine.  I know tht I am not.  I can see as many things wrong with placing all of your beliefs in other things, but again, I AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE.  It's something I believe in, and I don't feel that I should have to defend it any more than you should have to defend not believing in God.  I just don't know why I, as a Christian, am not treated with the same respect for my beliefs that everyone else wants for theirs.

Are you serious? If it was well written we wouldn't be having this conversation. Why are there 38,000 different denominations?

Because human beings are allowed to have their own interpretation.  I can believe mine is correct, and someone else can believe theirs is correct... that's what makes great literature.  (And yes, I do believe it is more than JUST another piece of literature, but that goes back to us humans making things what we want them to be, and I have a problem with that just like you do, which is why I said earlier that there are definite points of controversy to be found in organized religion.  We humans tend to mess everything up!)
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2009, 02:35:34 PM »

[/quote]

...and yes we would because people will always find something to disagree about! 
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »

I'm going to come to Norway and hug a pagan. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »

Because human beings are allowed to have their own interpretation.  I can believe mine is correct, and someone else can believe theirs is correct... that's what makes great literature. 

ok, but the starting point of this exchange was your claim that there is such a thing as a 'true' Christian suggesting that some interpretations are correct and some are not on an absolute scale.

kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »

Because human beings are allowed to have their own interpretation.  I can believe mine is correct, and someone else can believe theirs is correct... that's what makes great literature. 

ok, but the starting point of this exchange was your claim that there is such a thing as a 'true' Christian suggesting that some interpretations are correct and some are not on an absolute scale.

I do believe that there are such things as true Christians.  I guess my point is that I have the right to feel that way without being called names or having my intelligence called into question, and I don't feel I should have to defend that right.  I was defending the Bible as great literature by saying that it's great because we all get to have our own interpretation.  I didn't say that I don't think mine is right!! 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:42:55 PM by kmorgan » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: