Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 09:22:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rumour from Blabbermouth.net
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rumour from Blabbermouth.net  (Read 30830 times)
kockstar99
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2004, 10:43:39 AM »

The Rumored song   OKLAHOMA

It was supposed to be about the bombing of the Oklahoma city building.

That could be something that is political that nobody cares about anymore...

and if he has written anything about 9/11 id say people dont want to hear about that on Chinese Democracy as well...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2004, 10:53:04 AM »

You already have three decent singles in the Blues, Maddy, and Chinese. All three could be radio songs. I believe the Blues and Maddy are better ballads than Like a Stone and I am the Highway by Audioslave, both of which get tons of airplay. Let's just face it, Axl is too fucked up and unstable to let go of the album....quality of material will not be an issue in my opinion.

I dont see any of those songs being singles.  Well, successful singles at least.  "The Blues" would be the closest, but theres no way it would work as a single, especially in todays musical climate.
DazRose85
Rocker

Devon, England, UK

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2004, 10:58:48 AM »

Is it possible that the record company is pushing this album to be "bigger" than Axl has been? Perhaps Axl just wants to make a good solid album while Geffen are looking for him to make the album - history makin' stuff?

"You've gotta choice in life... rock n' roll or classical" - Axl

11/06/06 - Download Festival, Donington
30/07/06 - Wembley Arena, London
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2004, 11:05:46 AM »

Is it possible that the record company is pushing this album to be "bigger" than Axl has been? Perhaps Axl just wants to make a good solid album while Geffen are looking for him to make the album - history makin' stuff?

No.

If Axl just wanted to make a good solid album, it would have been done a long time ago.  And from all accounts, Axl is not about just making a good, solid album.
kockstar99
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2004, 11:10:11 AM »

There should be a story on this rumor in Spin mag in 2 weeks...  Guess that will prove how far the mag is willing to go with this story....
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2004, 11:18:50 AM »

2. Where the hell does Geffen fit into "approving" anything with this album?!? This should be strictly Sanctuary/Interscope/Universal (correct?). Geffen, of course, had the Greatest Hits, but I don't see how Geffen has anything to do with Chinese Democracy.

Ummm.... Geffen is their record label?  As a parallel, that would be like saying, "What the hell does Shady Records have to do with Obie Trice's album?"

I believe the Blues and Maddy are better ballads than Like a Stone and I am the Highway by Audioslave, both of which get tons of airplay.

Suprisingly, I like both of those Audioslave songs BETTER than The Blues and Madagscar.  I never really thought about it until you mentioned them though.

As far as "Oklahoma" goes, I thought that song had something to do with Erin?  Something along the lines of them being in court, and Axl thought it was insignificant compared to what had just happened.  Maybe I'm just making that up though.  
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2004, 11:31:26 AM »

I doubt it.  The title track isnt political and none of the other songs have been political.

Chinese Democracy is a political song, for the most part.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2004, 11:34:13 AM »

I doubt it.  The title track isnt political and none of the other songs have been political.

Chinese Democracy is a political song, for the most part.

Really?  Maybe you can explain the politics behind it?
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »

LMAO! Nowhere in a recording contract does it state "You must present a 'good' record.", otherwise half the shit that's released today wouldn't be available.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
madagas
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2004, 12:21:37 PM »

Booker, the Blues is a perfect VH1 type of song...possible crossover hit with pop stations. Certainly not a modern rock radio song for the younger generation, but a song for old fuckers like me in their mid 30's. The other two COULD be singles but they are obviously not ideal for radio. I assume that is why Axl says the songs they have played live WON'T be singles. I still think they are easily as good as 99% of the crap on radio-any format-today. I regards to Chinese Democracy being a political song, give me a break. If someone can give me an INTELLIGENT explanation of the meaning of the song I will listen. But, I have heard the song a zillion times and still can't figure out what the hell he is talking about. Quite frankly, I don't think the lyrics are that good-certainly not on the level of Civil War. Nice riff, very average lyrics. Grin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 12:23:06 PM by madagas » Logged
alwaysoutparading
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2004, 12:31:35 PM »

Even if the songs are about specific news events, since when have Axl's lyrics been so overtly obvious about one thing? I don't believe it simply because from what I know about his song writing style, he's usually very vague and sticks to mostly emotions, not events.

On the other hand, since he probably hasn't been partying and doing drugs in the last 10 years, I think a lot of the songs probably will be political or influenced by world events.  I still think he'll write about how it makes him feel and it'll be hard to tell exactly what event he's talking about (except for Oklahoma).

Either way, do you really think Geffen would refuse CD??? no way

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2004, 12:55:31 PM »

Booker, the Blues is a perfect VH1 type of song...possible crossover hit with pop stations. Certainly not a modern rock radio song for the younger generation, but a song for old fuckers like me in their mid 30's. The other two COULD be singles but they are obviously not ideal for radio. I assume that is why Axl says the songs they have played live WON'T be singles. I still think they are easily as good as 99% of the crap on radio-any format-today. I regards to Chinese Democracy being a political song, give me a break. If someone can give me an INTELLIGENT explanation of the meaning of the song I will listen. But, I have heard the song a zillion times and still can't figure out what the hell he is talking about. Quite frankly, I don't think the lyrics are that good-certainly not on the level of Civil War. Nice riff, very average lyrics. Grin

CD is, I think,  about his relationship with the old band members and the bands breakup.   I think the song's title is very much a reference to the fact that the old bandmates saw GnR as a "Chinese Democracy", as in, it wasn't REALLY a democracy at all, but a dictatorship....and CD is Axl's response to that charge.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 12:56:24 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2004, 01:10:39 PM »

this is actually very possible, watch the making of pump by aerosmith they explain the whole deal, they have to make a cd that is approved by the label, a cd that has so many certain songs the company thinks the public will buy or they have to redo shit

it took them forever to release nine lives cause the record label thought it was shit so sorry guys but this is very very possible

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
madagas
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2004, 01:11:28 PM »

Pilferk, possibly, sounds plausible, and I do agree that Chinese Democracy is a perfect name and description of Axl's new "project". Grin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 01:12:40 PM by madagas » Logged
kockstar99
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2004, 01:58:45 PM »

this is actually very possible, watch the making of pump by aerosmith they explain the whole deal, they have to make a cd that is approved by the label, a cd that has so many certain songs the company thinks the public will buy or they have to redo shit

it took them forever to release nine lives cause the record label thought it was shit so sorry guys but this is very very possible

I have seen that same documentary... The Band was all fucking nervous coz the Label Rep was coming to "judge the marketablity of the songs"

I very much remember seeing Steven Tyler and Joe Perry sitting there while some suit was played thier hard work and gave it i yes or no.. He said things like, "add guitar here" or "do you need to repeat the chorus 3 times" ... Things like that.... If it can happen to Aerosmith....hmmmm
GnrAxl4life
Headliner

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2004, 02:13:27 PM »

since when do record companies have any editorial control over the subject of songs, unless is perverted or paedophilia etc.

Record companies have full editorial control over songs. If they dont like it then its back to the drawing board.
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2004, 02:30:18 PM »

CD is, I think,  about his relationship with the old band members and the bands breakup.   I think the song's title is very much a reference to the fact that the old bandmates saw GnR as a "Chinese Democracy", as in, it wasn't REALLY a democracy at all, but a dictatorship....and CD is Axl's response to that charge.

Axl spoke about the song at Vegas, House of Blues where he explained it a little bit. If I remember correctly it was politically. I had the song and speech on my computer but don't have it anymore. But I'm sure someone has the transcript somewhere  Smiley

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
holidayidol
Rocker

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2004, 02:37:34 PM »

1. I think it's obvious that an album called Chinese Democracy is going to be a political album

... Roll Eyes  No, not at all  rofl
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 02:38:08 PM by holidayidol » Logged
Chief
Legend

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2004, 03:35:24 PM »

sounds like a bunch of crap to me!

and by the way, audioslave definitely doesnt compare to Guns!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2004, 04:25:06 PM »

sounds like a bunch of crap to me!

and by the way, audioslave definitely doesnt compare to Guns!
You're absolutly right, Audioslave put out a CD in the last ten years......how can you expect Guns N' Roses to compare to that.... hihi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: