Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 03:40:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  World's Largest General Store Burns Down
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: World's Largest General Store Burns Down  (Read 1844 times)
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« on: October 03, 2006, 05:44:47 PM »

"Country Junction Fire

Tuesday, October 3, UPDATED: 4:42 p.m.
By Bob Reynolds

Hours after fire gutted a store in Carbon County, crews were still putting out hot spots.

Firefighters were called to the Country Junction General Store on Route 209 in Lehighton around 5:30 a.m. Tuesday. Flames could be seen from miles away. The place, billed as the world's largest general store, is destroyed.

Firefighters from three counties were called in to battle the blaze. The store was so far gone when they arrived, there was not much to save.

Tons of merchandise inside the store acted as fuel. There were no fire hydrants in the area to douse the flames.

"As far as saving this building, I don't think hydrants would have made a difference. Everything has to come out of a pond, everything has to be trucked," said Towamensing Township Fire Chief Wayne Knirnschild.

As dawn broke, store owner James Everett surveyed the millions of dollars in damage.

"We have a few tents that we can work out of for the month of October until the weather gets bad. We were able to save some computers," he said.

"I am so upset about this because there are so many employees here. I don't have to work. I retired four times and I love working here," said Les Lehman.

"I can't believe that it actually caught fire and burned down as fast as it did. I got a call from a friend who said it was on fire. I couldn't believe it. I could see the flames and everything from my house down the road," said employee Zayne Green.

Everett said he's doing what he can to make sure his workers don't have to be laid off. "It's only a building. It was set up quite well. People loved it but it's only a building. I'm still focusing on the employees," Everett added.

Some animals were in the building and were lost, including some reptiles and a llama that was so scared it couldn't be led to safety. Those that survived are being cared for at a nearby home.

More than seven hours after the first call came in, flames could still be seen coming from the rubble.

As firefighters pulled out, a steady stream of people showed up to see the devastation. One couple drove 100 miles hoping for a day filled with shopping, but instead found the store in ruins.

"I wanted to come up here for so long, a couple of years anyway, and it's unbelievable," said Barb Bistline of York.

"It's like coming around the corner and seeing your house gone. It's been here forever. I'm glad no one was hurt," said Brenda Davis from Effort.

Country Junction has four other locations.

Everett said even though the store was destroyed, the Great Pocono Pumpkin Festival is open."
Source: WNEP.com

I was there the night it burned down, too. All the animals they sold also died inside, as well. That's what bugs me the most...

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »

I went to that general store once, they wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:51:22 PM »

I went to that general store once, they wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

They wouldn't let you buy the llama if you wanted to?

Coulda ended up saving it's life, poor guy.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 10:20:53 PM »

That sucks. I think I seen this store on the travel ch once. The store had everything in it.

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:06:04 AM »

That's such ashame about the animals..  Sad  I've actually been there, my parents have a place nearby up in the Poconos. That's ashame, it's not as BIG as you might think, but they have a ton of cool, old stuff.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: