Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Would you swim and feed stingrays in lieu of what happened to Steve Irwin?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you swim and feed stingrays in lieu of what happened to Steve Irwin?  (Read 3052 times)
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« on: November 25, 2006, 09:00:02 PM »

I am going on a 7 day caribbean cruise starting Dec. 2nd.

One of the stops is Grand Cayman.

Would anyone on this board swim and feed stingrays or would they not do it considering what happened to Steve Irwin?

I've been cruising since I was 7.? I am now 38.? And I've been to the Caribbean and Grand Cayman a zillion times.? I just never did this tour.

What would you all do??  peace

http://www.stingraycitytrips.com/info/about_stingraycity.shtml

http://www.stingraycitytrips.com/photo_album/index.shtml

« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 09:06:09 PM by dolphin » Logged
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:14:16 PM »

Yes, i would love too, What happend to Steve was a freak accident, something that is VERY rare. Stingrays are awesome animals. I would love to swim with giant Manta Rays Smiley

Axl is God.
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 09:19:06 PM »

Yes, i would love too, What happend to Steve was a freak accident, something that is VERY rare. Stingrays are awesome animals. I would love to swim with giant Manta Rays Smiley

My dad did it and he said with everything in life, it's a calculated risk but he said it was awesome and some friends of mine did it too.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 09:21:45 PM by dolphin » Logged
axlrosegnr
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 09:26:38 PM »

My dad did it and he said with everything in life, it's a calculated risk but he said it was awesome and some friends of mine did it too.

Exactly right.....everything in life is risky, but a person just can't stay at home for the rest of they're lives, you just gotta go out there and do it  ok

I recently got into sky diving, and already have witnessed a fatality, but you can't let things like that stop you, the very next day I was up in that plane again  peace

Axl is God.
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 09:27:43 PM »

wow they are cool.

bigger than the ones we have here in gulf of mexico!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 09:32:03 PM by dolphin » Logged
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 09:30:06 PM »

Exactly right.....everything in life is risky, but a person just can't stay at home for the rest of they're lives, you just gotta go out there and do it? ok

I recently got into sky diving, and already have witnessed a fatality, but you can't let things like that stop you, the very next day I was up in that plane again? peace

so the person died in the group you were jumping with? no
axlrosegnr
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 09:32:27 PM »

Exactly right.....everything in life is risky, but a person just can't stay at home for the rest of they're lives, you just gotta go out there and do it? ok

I recently got into sky diving, and already have witnessed a fatality, but you can't let things like that stop you, the very next day I was up in that plane again? peace

It was another group, but the same drop zone....His chute got tangled, so he cut away, but it took him too long, and he didnt have time for his reserve chute to fully inflate before he hit the ground. But all i can do is learn from things like this.

Axl is God.
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 09:34:13 PM »

It was another group, but the same drop zone....His chute got tangled, so he cut away, but it took him too long, and he didnt have time for his reserve chute to fully inflate before he hit the ground. But all i can do is learn from things like this.

And cruise ships only book with tours they trust and have a long working relationship with so I think safety is very important to them.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 09:35:09 PM »

Been to Cayman, and I've done several dives at Stingray City.  It's a great experience, and extremely safe.  I say go for it...just follow the directions of the divemaster.
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 09:37:32 PM »

Been to Cayman, and I've done several dives at Stingray City.? It's a great experience, and extremely safe.? I say go for it...just follow the directions of the divemaster.

Cool.  I am excited peace
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 09:52:47 PM »

No way!  I would never swim and feed stingrays!... I would tease and wrestle crocodiles though.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 07:30:23 AM »

No way!  I would never swim and feed stingrays!... I would tease and wrestle crocodiles though.

Cause you're tha type o' nigga that's built ta last

Psychophobia
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 11:01:53 AM »

Sure, I'd love to! Living on the north atlantic coast, the most I ever catch a glimpse of, swimming in the ocean, is a crab, or maybe a small fish or jellyfish. Stingrays would be awesome! And the water would actually be warm! What happened to Irwin was, as someone else said, a freak accident. Given his love for adventure and interacting with wildlife, I think Irwin would be disappointed if people were discouraged from swimming with stingrays over the whole incident.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 12:11:58 PM »

Been to Cayman, and I've done several dives at Stingray City.? It's a great experience, and extremely safe.? I say go for it...just follow the directions of the divemaster.

Cool.? I am excited peace

You should be...it's great!  If you're diving, you go to the ocean floor - only about 15 - 20 ft down at that spot, and they stingrays practically swarm you for food (you'll feed them small pieces of squid).  Since their eyes are on the top of their heads and the mouths on the bottom, they pretty much "target" where the food is and rely on smell as they move towards the food and begin to suck water in (just remember to let go of the squid and pull your hand away    Grin).  Again, it's a great experience...enjoy!
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »

You should be...it's great!? If you're diving, you go to the ocean floor - only about 15 - 20 ft down at that spot, and they stingrays practically swarm you for food (you'll feed them small pieces of squid).? Since their eyes are on the top of their heads and the mouths on the bottom, they pretty much "target" where the food is and rely on smell as they move towards the food and begin to suck water in (just remember to let go of the squid and pull your hand away? ? Grin).? Again, it's a great experience...enjoy!

I won't be scuba diving.  I have never done that but you can snorkle with them. Tongue

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 02:29:13 PM »

You should be...it's great!? If you're diving, you go to the ocean floor - only about 15 - 20 ft down at that spot, and they stingrays practically swarm you for food (you'll feed them small pieces of squid).? Since their eyes are on the top of their heads and the mouths on the bottom, they pretty much "target" where the food is and rely on smell as they move towards the food and begin to suck water in (just remember to let go of the squid and pull your hand away? ? Grin).? Again, it's a great experience...enjoy!

I won't be scuba diving.? I have never done that but you can snorkle with them. Tongue

Yep...they bring them up to the surface so you can pet them, feed them, etc.  It's a blast, and well worth it.  Have a great time!
Emilie
Rocker

No, we can't stop here! This is bat-country!

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 04:27:46 PM »

I have scuba dived with stingrays, and it's awesome! Snorkling should be just as great, so go for it! ok
GunsN'Gravy
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 08:42:13 PM »

Steve Irwin was probably pimp slapping the ray before it got him, so if you don't act like a crazy aussie it should be alright.

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: