Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dexter tonight at CD.com (December 13th)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dexter tonight at CD.com (December 13th)  (Read 39849 times)
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2008, 12:37:37 AM »

I question whether or not The General is actually Checkmate, just because Checkmate showed up the same time as Catcher, and from sound/recording quality sounded like it was from the same source.  The General is a song that was originally created by Brain, so it seems like it must be from later than that.  Who knows, could be wrong but Checkmate sounds like it predates the 2000 lineup.  For some reason I got the feeling that Checkmate is actually Atlas Shrugged, because the Classic Rock guys said that Atlas Shrugged had Brian May on it, and the vocals/recording quality on Checkmate sound like the original Catcher leak
atlas shrugged is a ballad
i dont think the general is checkmate

i remember in the 2002.. someone said that the general was played in the BH solo every show (the part with military drums.. and eerie guitars) and that person was trustable..
but then another person asked brain about it and he said that.. they didnt play any new song as a intro or instrumental in the tours (lying because now we know they played prostitute and if the world)

so now i think the part of the BH solo is a part of the general

link to said solo, por favor?

Quote from: Rex on Today at 12:24:14
Axl, do you think This I Love is still the heaviest thing you've written, or has another song popped up that now holds that title?

That's still it and ultimately a great healing experience to compose something you have no real idea you're capable of such as the bridge. It's a lot more intricate than I think most realize yet as the guitar and vocals are placed as they should be so dominant. The main string melody in that section I had originally written to a hip-hop loop as well.

My first thought on hearing the song was that it's lavish.  Then I come here and read remarks about how simplistic it is, and I was puzzled. It's nice to know it was conceived of as 'intricate'.

I agree completely. Today I just noticed the flutes playing behind the vocals in the second verse.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:39:20 AM by Robman? » Logged
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2008, 12:41:58 AM »

what about the kurt cobain question?

was his replay a way of just not answering anything?
its_so_easy
Rocker

axl rose is back!!!

« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2008, 12:48:50 AM »

cobain is dead, axl dont need no beef with a dead man, dave grohl on the other hand...

Good fuckin night
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2008, 12:50:23 AM »

cobain is dead, axl dont need no beef with a dead man, dave grohl on the other hand...

Yeah that would be a interesting response none the least on Grohl.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
AXL DEMOCRACY
Rocker

« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2008, 12:53:40 AM »

Especially since Grohl loves to run his mouth about Axl, and that condescending arrogant rant at Rock In Rio in Portugal still annoys me.

"The art comes first.  It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically." - W. Axl Rose
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2008, 12:57:07 AM »

what rant?? link??

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2008, 12:59:38 AM »

Ohh man these chats were such a cool thing to do from Axl.
I'm guessing what he did is pretty unique as well. Ofc tons and tons of artists communicate with their fans via net these days, and tons and tons of Q&A things and chats and such are arranged, but it's usually much more controlled environment, and not in the backyard of the fans right?

He remained amazingly zen through some of it, even though many people opted to ask their questions in asshole- mode.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:07:20 AM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2008, 01:56:20 AM »

yes i agree, its just that i didnt understood the answer really well, and i think he said something in RIR3 about cobain.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2008, 02:59:03 AM »

yes i agree, its just that i didnt understood the answer really well, and i think he said something in RIR3 about cobain.

Personally, I took the "I've been busy since then" thing thing to mean that unlike Cobain (who took the "easy way out" from rock stardom)- Axl persevered. Who knows though.

Anyway, didn't it come to light that Cobain wrote about Axl in his journals/diaries and considered him his long-lost "white trash brother" or something? I think Courtney Love has also said that Cobain actually enjoyed Appetite For Destruction too. Now- Axl's opinion on THOSE tidbits would be interesting. hihi
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 03:03:50 AM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
remcognr
Rocker

#remcognr

« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2008, 04:19:54 AM »

i remember in the 2002.. someone said that the general was played in the BH solo every show (the part with military drums.. and eerie guitars) and that person was trustable..
but then another person asked brain about it and he said that.. they didnt play any new song as a intro or instrumental in the tours (lying because now we know they played prostitute and if the world)

seriously? if the world?? do you base this on a bootleg? I've got quite a few from 02 an 06 but can't remember hearing any of those... do you have a date of a show where they played it?

"There's A Lot Goin'On"

Check out my GN'R collection on insta: www.instagram.com/remcognr
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2008, 05:16:03 AM »

Could the snippet we have heard of "Checkmate" actually be "The General?

well, duh. Tongue

He said we may have heard snippets of "The General" .

I think it's two, one high quality guitarsnippet, and one low quality snippet with all instruments+ vocals.

Furtheron Axl said:

And Checkmate is a bogus title.

The working title is Jackie Chan.  Cool   

"Jackie Chan"  is an anagram for "checkmate" (almost Lips Sealed )

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:23:11 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2008, 06:13:09 AM »

Personally, I took the "I've been busy since then" thing thing to mean that unlike Cobain (who took the "easy way out" from rock stardom)- Axl persevered. Who knows though.

Anyway, didn't it come to light that Cobain wrote about Axl in his journals/diaries and considered him his long-lost "white trash brother" or something? I think Courtney Love has also said that Cobain actually enjoyed Appetite For Destruction too. Now- Axl's opinion on THOSE tidbits would be interesting. hihi

I think the point of Axl's answer was he's been busy with important things, not worrying over Kurt Cobain the last 14 years. The whole "whatever" part of his answer was pretty funny, light jab at Cobain's attitude. Oh well whatever nevermind.
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2008, 06:18:21 AM »

Could the snippet we have heard of "Checkmate" actually be "The General?

well, duh. Tongue

He said we may have heard snippets of "The General" .

I think it's two, one high quality guitarsnippet, and one low quality snippet with all instruments+ vocals.

The "Jackie Chan" clips sound nothing like Bach's description of The General. Slow grinding guitars, piercing vocals, heaviest song Axl's done etc. More likely, to me anyhow, it's part of an instrumental or intro. Anyhow, no sense in worrying too much--that song has a few years before it surfaces, right?

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #173 on: December 14, 2008, 06:20:35 AM »

will he be at newgnr today?
someone said he logged in today, but then logged out.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2008, 06:59:42 AM »

I'd say with axl anything is possible.  hihi
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2008, 05:07:08 PM »

I question whether or not The General is actually Checkmate, just because Checkmate showed up the same time as Catcher, and from sound/recording quality sounded like it was from the same source.  The General is a song that was originally created by Brain, so it seems like it must be from later than that.  Who knows, could be wrong but Checkmate sounds like it predates the 2000 lineup.  For some reason I got the feeling that Checkmate is actually Atlas Shrugged, because the Classic Rock guys said that Atlas Shrugged had Brian May on it, and the vocals/recording quality on Checkmate sound like the original Catcher leak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPAxKf1LRzk
from 2:34 to 3:22

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »

I think the point of Axl's answer was he's been busy with important things, not worrying over Kurt Cobain the last 14 years. The whole "whatever" part of his answer was pretty funny, light jab at Cobain's attitude. Oh well whatever nevermind.

AHHAA... nice catch man! I think you're right. Axl's a fucking riot. rofl

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2008, 06:38:26 PM »

Really funny how some people are dissecting every single word of Ax's  hihi

Will be fun to play a lot of the songs from ChiDem on Rockband.

Hopefully they can settle the legal stuff soon though so we can get appetite on RB.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Mooch
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2008, 09:48:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPAxKf1LRzk
from 2:34 to 3:22

Nope, your wrong. That part that bucket is playing is his solo material off of "giant robot".  He plays it all the time at his solo shows
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: