Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Democracies in Latin America
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Democracies in Latin America  (Read 2975 times)
Carlos_f_Rose
« on: June 08, 2005, 04:45:04 PM »

Hi guys...  how are you doing?

I would like to know what are your points of view about the fragile democracy in Latin America, specially in Countries, such as Bolivia, Ecuador, and specially Venezuela, among some other countries in the region... Remember the moment that Bolivia is living these days... with the resignation of the President Carlos Mesa, and the forthcoming Civil War between occident and orient,  the moment Ecuador lived months ago with congressional decission to oust President "Lucio Gutierrez"and the most remarkable Democracy in Latin America (if you wish to call it like that) Hugo Chavez, the president who is always countering USA, with Cuba....

It would be interesting to know the opinion of the guys, who can certainly discuss about it with madurity...

SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 05:01:53 PM »

Probably one of the worst things I read was the war for water in Bolivia. Betchel saw a chance to exploit a group of people who were amoung the poorest in the world. They privitized the water supply down there literally sending already poor families into a tailspin. The people (in true democratic form) fought back. But the government fought back injuring hundreds and killing a 17 yr old boy. Evenutally Betchel was forced out by the people. Amazing really.

In a final act of disgusting corporate greed and spite, Betchel filed a legal demand against the Bolivian people for 20 million for the "future profits lost".

Betchel could have helped raise that country up, but instead found a group of people they could exploit. The power did boil down to the people, and although tragic, it was great to see them fight that bullshit.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 06:27:33 PM »

I'm sure Democracy will happen in South America somewhere during the 21st century. I mean solid Democracy. I feel it. It will come with the Economic Growth.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 07:08:56 PM »

I'd like to see it happen. But there is too much money to be made off the backs of these poor people. Global corporate interests are in control now; true democracy is a thing of the past.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 03:25:20 PM »

Global corporate interests are in control now; true democracy is a thing of the past.

Well that is right... even in USA the Corporates have more power that the government itself...

SLCPUNK
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 01:27:50 AM »

Global corporate interests are in control now; true democracy is a thing of the past.

Well that is right... even in USA the Corporates have more power that the government itself...

Yup.

Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 10:03:58 AM »

I remember april the 15 cause was ta my friend's mother birthday and we were having dinner at a restaurant all of the sudden The Presiden of Ecuador (at that time) Lucio Gutierrez, claims he will desolve the congress, I panic cause I heard a lot of rumors that Lucio wanted to be a dictator, thank God nothing like that happened but we still kick him out of the power Im not very proud of that but the democracy is very fragile nowadays around here, so I think this kinda events In latin america, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela, makes the whole region very unestable.
This is all fault of the same people that wants to govern the Country, thinking they are better than anyone else.

No man can be my equal
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 09:28:45 PM »

I remember april the 15 cause was ta my friend's mother birthday and we were having dinner at a restaurant all of the sudden The Presiden of Ecuador (at that time) Lucio Gutierrez, claims he will desolve the congress, I panic cause I heard a lot of rumors that Lucio wanted to be a dictator, thank God nothing like that happened but we still kick him out of the power Im not very proud of that but the democracy is very fragile nowadays around here, so I think this kinda events In latin america, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela, makes the whole region very unestable.
This is all fault of the same people that wants to govern the Country, thinking they are better than anyone else.

well that is right man... but sadly... the governors... are always rats... that only want to get richer and richer... so they dont have to get away with it....
we need a change
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: