Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:38:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  10 Greatest American Heavy Metal Albums (for the new year)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10 Greatest American Heavy Metal Albums (for the new year)  (Read 4099 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: December 31, 2005, 12:28:31 PM »

For my 1000th post, I'm recommending the finest metal America offers. No thrash, glam, death, black, or NWOBHM rip-offs here! This is all American good old heavy metal that is just as good as Maiden, Priest, Saxon, Helloween, and the other big bands across the pond. They're not as recognized, but they're musically just as good, if not better, than their European coutnerparts. Many of them aren't known well, even in the "kvlt" crowds who think they know metal. Make a resolution to check these guys out!  ok

#1- Jag Panzer- Ample Destruction. This blows away all of the other albums by an order of magnitude. This is simply the most amazing album of 1984. Yes, I am also considering Priest's Defenders Of The Faith and Maiden's Powerslave. This one's still better. If you don't love this album, you don't love America.

#2- Manowar- Battle Hymns. Forget the cheesy albums Manowar would later release. This one's pure American metal than even Orson Welles approved of! Eric Adam's voice is rivaled by very few others, and the music is simple without being primitive. It's their first, and best, album.

#3- Riot- Thundersteel. Ever heard of Painkiller? This is Painkiller 2 years early, and made in the USA. When it came out, it was one of, if not the most, aggressive piece of speed metal ever. Judas Priest were taking notes on this! Of course, the cover is ugly, but that's a Riot tradition!  Wink

#4- Brocas Helm- Into Battle. This fantasy inspired piece of steel is epic, wildly chaotic, and just fun to listen to! The band's later offerings are decent, but this one was the best, especially for its time!

#5- Cirith Ungol- One Foot In Hell. After you get over the weird vocals, the music behind it is solid, hard as iron. The band broke up in the early 90's, but are now remembered as of the best bands no one knew about.

#6- Manilla Road- Crystal Logic. This band is getting a lot of attention lately, but actually goes back all the way to 1976, just like Riot! Their vocalist, Mark Shelton, had one of the most unique voices in metal. They were, of course, very ahead of their time, yet ignored. I love all of their albums, but this is a favorite.

#7- Blacksmith- Fire From Within. This band actually had a female vocalist on their first EP (self-titled)! Their next one, Fire From Within, was a great follow-up. I recommend both, if you're lucky enough to find them!

#8- Virgin Steele- Guardians Of The Flame. This is epic power metal in sound, even if the songs aren't 10 minute snore-fets! Get the CD version if you can, since it has a lot of nice bonus tracks.

#9- Savatage- Hall Of The Mountain King. Ever heard of Trans-Siberian Orchestra? This is the metal band that eventually brought about the famous Christmas group. They're even better! Very technically skilled.

#10- Helstar- A Distant Thunder. Though hardcore critics love this band, and they had an extremely loyal fanbase, they never got mass recognition. I think you've picked up on that pattern by now, though. Wink

Honorable Mention: Fireaxe- A Dream Of Death. Released in 1998, this is the most recent of the albums here. In time, I think it will be recognized as a classic as much as the others are! Don't let the vocals bother you, since the music is wonderful!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 01:14:12 PM »

Wow, there's a list of bands I'll never listen to.  Wink

Fuck 'Em All.
RichardNixon
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 01:29:14 PM »

I'll stick with the Sarah Mclaughlin CD in my computer as we speak.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 03:46:09 PM »

I've only heard about two of those bands on your list. I'll check the rest out. thanx

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 06:28:59 PM »

manowar make me laugh with there very funny lyrics. "horses of steel"  rofl

html sucks
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 06:53:21 PM »

I never heard of 8 of those bands.  Undecided

Why don't you just....
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 07:42:31 PM »

Wow, there's a list of bands I'll never listen to.? Wink

Indeed - i can think of 10 better American heavy metal albums just by one American band

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 10:28:38 AM »

Indeed - i can think of 10 better American heavy metal albums just by one American band

I don't know of many American metal bands that have released 10 albums, much less 10 albums better than the ones I mentioned. Mine are all renowned classics.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 12:16:51 PM »

Can I post Megadeth and Queensyrche

No man can be my equal
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 10:51:55 PM »

Megadeth is thrash metal, not just plain heavy metal. Queensryche is too progressive. They're both good, but they're not good old heavy metal.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 12:39:47 PM »

Then Im out, only heard Manowar and im not big fan

No man can be my equal
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »

Ever heard of Painkiller? This is Painkiller 2 years early,

id need a few painkillers if i had to listen to these bands confused

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 09:03:56 PM »

Ever heard of Painkiller? This is Painkiller 2 years early,

id need a few painkillers if i had to listen to these bands confused

How can u not like a band's vocalist to scream for 10 tracks? hihi

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 09:29:51 PM »

10 tracks? is that a 5 CD box set? hihi

remember its the devils work when played backwards...maybe he's never heard of kajagoogoo Grin

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 03:40:26 AM »

Track 9, Battle Hymn, is an instrumental. Halford only screams on 9/10 tracks on Painkiller.  Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: