Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:57:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227905 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The "Slither" thread (post your opinions here)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Slither" thread (post your opinions here)  (Read 45888 times)
AC
Rocker

« on: April 07, 2004, 03:46:26 PM »

Not that great of a song at all. The music (in my opinion) is terrible. The lyrics and singing are not too bad at all.  Scott should step away from these guys and start his own project. I have his solo album at home and it's pretty good, lots better than this has-been-rock.

Sorry VR, but it's just not cutting it for me for the lead single. Unless I hear otherwise I'm not buying this CD.

AA.

Edit: Changed subject line /jarmo
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 07:45:39 AM by jarmo » Logged

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 03:52:20 PM »

Awesome...this certainly deserved its own thread  ok
AC
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 06:54:23 PM »

At least you thought it deserved a reply.

AA

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
K-Rock
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 11:06:52 AM »

I'm disappointed with this song.

It sounds like STP playing over the top of GN'R.

Song had potential had Axl been on vocals.

Matt's drums are so basic & boring it's scary that he gets to be the drummer of rock band.

THANK GOD for Slash's pic........he still proves he is the greatest axeman in current times.
s22714
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 01:51:34 PM »

Just finished listening to Slither and I think it was alright, at best.  Far from spectacular, that's for sure.  I agree that it sounds very STP, but I think it sounds more like Alice in Chains.
I'd say that most of us expected something that sounded like GNR, without Axl.  For those who thought that, this song definitely proves us wrong.    
madagas
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 01:59:50 PM »

I still love Slash's solos but the rest is mediocre at best. As compared to another supergroup, Audioslave and their first single Cochise, Cornell and the boys blow this away. However, all final judgments will come when hearing the entire record. Tongue
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 04:51:55 PM »

As compared to another supergroup, Audioslave and their first single Cochise, Cornell and the boys blow this away. However, all final judgments will come when hearing the entire record. Tongue

That's what I think too.

I remember when I first heard "Cochise" when it first leaked, I was really excited about it. It had a great intro, the right energy, a catchy chorus etc. Basically it made me want to buy their album and hear more.

Now with "Slither", I'm kinda thinking "is this it?". To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd buy the album based on that one song. Maybe after I heard more tracks. I'll buy it, just because of the GN'R connection.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 05:04:02 PM »

As compared to another supergroup, Audioslave and their first single Cochise, Cornell and the boys blow this away. However, all final judgments will come when hearing the entire record. Tongue

That's what I think too.

I remember when I first heard "Cochise" when it first leaked, I was really excited about it. It had a great intro, the right energy, a catchy chorus etc. Basically it made me want to buy their album and hear more.

Now with "Slither", I'm kinda thinking "is this it?". To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd buy the album based on that one song. Maybe after I heard more tracks. I'll buy it, just because of the GN'R connection.....

/jarmo

Exactly but for the GN'R connection i would not touch it after hearing that it was ok but that's all, i got 'It's Five O'Clock Somewhere' because of the GN'R connection.......big mistake i hope it ain't gonna be another mistake, could be a case of even when a football team spends millions on players and has the ingredients for the best team when mixed it don't work, maybe Scott and the Ex-Gunners don't sound that good together.  I know they rejected Sebastian Bach because they sounded too much like Skid Row but hell, id of loved that it would be like Skid Row with better members, no matter how good Snake is he's no Slash
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 08:11:40 PM »

I heard somewhere that this song sounds the most like STP out of all the others so i hope there is better ahead. Also it might appeal to today's audience a little more than a GNR influenced song.

But still....its rather dissapointing, it lacks that spark, it just seems as though Scott is going through the motions rather than stamping his authority on the song. I think the weakest parts of this song are the chorus and Matt's drumming, nothing original there.

Slash is the only saving grace here.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 08:24:53 PM »

It grew on me. At first i thought it was just a glorified stp song but after 37 listens I think its really good, especially the solo and scotts screming of the lyrics right after it.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 08:30:10 PM »

I think its best we judge a song with an open mind and not let our alliegances get in the way of our judgemenet. There are many VR fans who badly want the band to do well (me included) after all the shit they went through with Axl and GNR.

But we shouldn't just be positive for the sake of it, that's what diehard Axl fans do and we don't need to be like them where any criticism of the band is immediately met with an extremely defensive response.

Another thing, i've just realised how important Steven really was to GNR after listening to Matt on Slither, Set me Free and YGNR. Matt just doesn't have that rythym and groove that Steven had, someone in these forums hit the nail on the head when he said that Matt overplays too much. He's all noise, not much substance.
K-Rock
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 11:46:43 PM »

It grew on me. At first i thought it was just a glorified stp song but after 37 listens I think its really good, especially the solo and scotts screming of the lyrics right after it.

It is also growing on me the more I listen to it yet I hope that the album offers more "big guns" than Slither.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2004, 12:04:28 AM »

this is gonna get moved to the vr section but alot of my friends ive let listen to velvet revolver say slash still sounds to 80ish that he hasnt evolved any and thats true, thats why i think axl was right slash didnt wanna evolve so he quit

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
noizzynofuture
Rocker

Spread the Virus

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2004, 02:02:37 AM »

I agree with you it does sound like an STP song.  It's not a bad song but I think the average listener is going to think this song is an old STP song.  Weiland's voice and style is very unique, IMO, and it screams STP.

I think VR would have been better getting a new voice and not one from an old band. The comparisions will never go away.    It would be like starting a band with David Lee Roth and trying to sell it as new.  

On the plus side STP fans will probably love this record.
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 03:24:48 AM »

D.... How the hell does Slash sound 80s? Part of the whole fuckin point GNR became popular is that they strayed from the 80s sound...

Slash was all about pentatonics and hard blues... NOT harmonic minor shredding that was common in the 80s... his solo is pretty fresh in today's music scene... there is absolutely NOTHING 80s about that playing....

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 04:21:56 AM »

D.... How the hell does Slash sound 80s? Part of the whole fuckin point GNR became popular is that they strayed from the 80s sound...

Slash was all about pentatonics and hard blues... NOT harmonic minor shredding that was common in the 80s... his solo is pretty fresh in today's music scene... there is absolutely NOTHING 80s about that playing....

Right on!

I ain't a massive, no, thats not right...i ain't a STP fan at all, therefore 'STP with solo's' fills me with terror

I haven't heard Slither, i'll wait till June.....but i grew more anxious by the hour.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mattgnr
Rocker

I'm a llama and very proud

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 09:41:58 AM »

I agree with most of the comments

I didn't like it after the 1st listen

But 20 times later - i really like it - its quite catchy.

I just hope people keep listening to it; However the average listener probaby won't.

Slash is fantastic as ever
Rupean
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 10:52:36 AM »

It's a great song with lot's of attitude on it! I love the intro, the chorus and the solo. Plus Weiland sounds good and I'm not a Weiland fan at all. Slither's a rocker for sure!
If you're an Axler you won't like this, it's just too good!
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 12:12:57 PM »

I'll repost this over here since it fits for those who expect more GN'R sounding songs.

It problably comes from a fan who attended the meet and greet with Slash & Duff in Europe.

posted by: Sweden's conscience
4/7/2004 7:04:18 PM
I've heard the whole album and I'm actually surprised that people are so psyched about "Slither". Just didn't expect people to jump all over it. It's a good, solid song. But to tell you the truth, it's one of the weakest ones on the album! Wait until you hear the likes of "Big Machine" and "Suckertrain Blues" - great, full-on rockers. Most of the album's in the same vein, but the stand-out track is definitely "Fall To Pieces". It's a huge, dramatic hard rock ballad with a classic Slash solo (think "November Rain") that will give Velvet Revolver a crossover appeal and make girls cry and get guys horny.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 12:47:24 PM »

I like Slither, it's a good hard rock song, and it grows on you.  Scott's vocals aren't my favorite, but they definitely work for the song.   Slash's guitar work is the best part of the song.  I like the solo, though I wish it was a little bit more dissident with the main rhythm (as was common with AFD songs).  I was disappointed with Kushner's rhythym work (adequate, but far from being a "secret weapon"), and Matt's drumming is no better than it was back in the UYI days.   Duff sounds good too.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: