Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:31:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227906 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  (Inside) Out: The Rise of Velvet Revolver Premiere on December 1
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: (Inside) Out: The Rise of Velvet Revolver Premiere on December 1  (Read 37449 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2004, 06:09:56 AM »

first off let me say that just because he kicked the habit doesn't mean he will just gain weight and haev this altering apperance within about a years time.. The man seems to be into what duff is doing and he is very energetic as a frontman, so just maybe if you look at it like that you would understand why he is still very skinny..

As for being strung out I bet it is hard as hell to stay clean and part of him hates it.. Most addicts that stopped aren't walking around very pleasant, it's a very hard, and new life to live.. ALl your outlets are now gone, getting high is a simple way out and without it for an addict you will have problems dealing with certain things..

Did you really need ideas from others to see why he might still look like a junkie, or whatever looking like a junkie means..
He also has abused drugs for years ,you don't just do a 180 in every way in such a short period iof time, maybe he likes being thin and with the new interest in kickboxing, martial arts it's keeping him lean..

likewise, do you really need to spend ALL your freetime on these boards discussing the same subjects, ad naseum, with others here?

did you actually read my post (you know, before you quoted it)? where did i mention anything about Scott's thin frame?

so now, a question for the big kids: wouldn't you think that now that he is sober, he would feel invigorated (especially since he has, it seems, adopted Duff's spiritual/physical release in meditation and martial arts? given what he went through with that detox (as well as, it seems, what he continues to do with his exercise regimen), i can't imagine him wandering around without an outlet.

actually I didn't because I was reading freya's post and just quoted that part because it said question, I didn't even check who it was from....

I think he should feel excited n happy doing what duff does because he seems to like it.. Yes he needs an outlet and this seems to be something he could make a lifestyle out of.. I go to the gym allt eh tiome instead of drinking, keeps you healthy and gives you a goal.

I don't spend ALL my free time on message boards or here, the pc is just sitting here when I have a free minute besides work and the gym I likem to shoot the shit and post..

Next time I will read the entire thing you wrote, I only answered it because it had QUESTION written in front of it..
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2004, 09:39:20 AM »

in terms of showmanship as a front man Cornell can't touch Scott in concert. If you could combine Cornell's voice with Scott's charisma and Showmanship you would have an all-time classic front man.

lol, that's one of the funniest things I've read in a few days! Grin "Showmanship"? "Charisma"? You're kidding right? I've seen VR live and I could care less about Weiland...to me Slash and Duff stole the show. Weiland made me think of a weasel who haven't eaten in a week. He may not be a junkie anymore but he sure as hell looks like one. I don't think he has any charisma at all. I just think he's pretty boring, but that's just my opinion. Bono, Freddie Mercury, Axl Rose, Robert Plant, Roger Waters. Now we're talking charisma. I don't think Weiland has any. I guess in the end it's to each his own but saying Weiland has more charisma and showmanship than Chris Cornell, that's kinda funny to me.
Don't even get me started on his lyrics... Grin

But hey, from the comments on the board, I'm guessing I'm in the minority so I just wanted to say my piece, but if you like him, that's cool! peace

Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2004, 10:26:27 AM »

Had no idea he was ever any Axl fan either, I knew he holds AFD in high regard but that's about it..

I remember him once saying that he used to go see GnR when he was a youngster and they played in LA, so he could have been a fan back then, who knows?

As for the addiction, I can see a recovering addict being in a foul mood, it's like they have no release, I call them "dry drunks".  But he just seems so serious about everything, sensitive to comparisons with GnR past, high expectations "to conquer the world"?, I mean come on, a newly repaired marriage and two kids, and being in the public eye.  I'm just saying, it wouldn't be surprising if he did crack, he's not Duff, he doesn't have a sense of humour and easy attitude about things. 

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2004, 10:40:36 AM »

I just haven't naively convinced myself this is anything more than an Axl solo project that is using the Guns name strictly for its built in brand value and recognition.

you still didnt answer the question....You said the members in gnr have no musical integrity. And with that being said, Axl really cant ever start a new band because they would always be hired guys, etc

Gnr sells out MSG, the "Axl Rose Solo Project" has the same trouble getting its name out there and building an identity that VR does.
So, GNR will do well because of the name and not maybe because of the music, but VR will not do well because people dont know them or maybe they just dont liek the music?

Dizzy, Richard or Tommy are basically being paid to work on their solo projects and whatever else they feel like doing, if you were them, would you have any incentive to ever leave the free paycheck? Bucket did the same thing they were doing and used the free paychecks to do other stuff and get his name out there and left when he achieved what he wanted from the process.
Again, so your saying the guys have no musical integrity???

but I think you are just a little naive as to the realities of this bands situation. It doesn't take away from how much I like the new music, but I am just being realistic about it, and there is nothing I have said that isn't in the general thought process of about 90% of the fan base. The fact that no one has any power in the band(other than Axl) to push this project along should tell you the other members relative standing in regards to the Business that is GNR. This is a collaborative project in name only. At the end of the day the only stuff that ends up on this album is stuff Axl wants, because he's signing the checks.
Or maybe I realize that this is a band. Maybe I see that they truly are legit people and muscians. Maybe Im not ignorant enough to denounce them as a band because they didnt form the conventional way or because they dont have sunday dinner together. Im sorry I just dont write them off.....
How the hell do you know who has what power in the band? Were you in the studio day and night? Do you think Axl showed up every dam night? You dont think Axl has had perfect attendance in that studio do you? DId Tommy get his nickname because he applied for the part/it was part of his contract? Or do you think maybe he earned it? You think Robin wasnt frustrated with the whole situation or did he leave because he wanted to go watch some birds fly around? You dont think RObin,Axl, And bucket have had some heated arguments? Or do you think maybe he earned it? ...Just because they are waiting on Axl doesnt mean they arent  a band.
How do we even know when they are issued the contracts?

VR was going to have a hired gun. They were going to hire a lead singer. If the person came out of a whole or fell from the sky and could sing he was in. Would you be saying the same thing? Once your done with your original band I guess people should stop making music or godforbid they call it a abnd. Think as you may.....Cant wait till the Mailbu Mafia unleashes its ferosity

From the business side, your right...its a business. And Axl is the guy. But why is that news to you? He did the same thing with olkd gnr....on the music side...its nothing but band.....in my eyes a band with unlimited potential that can deliver a memorable and meanigful album.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 10:45:57 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2004, 10:49:48 AM »

As for the addiction, I can see a recovering addict being in a foul mood, it's like they have no release, I call them "dry drunks".? But he just seems so serious about everything, sensitive to comparisons with GnR past, high expectations "to conquer the world"?, I mean come on, a newly repaired marriage and two kids, and being in the public eye.? I'm just saying, it wouldn't be surprising if he did crack, he's not Duff, he doesn't have a sense of humour and easy attitude about things.?

He also has bi-polar disorder...maybe that explains some of it?

As for not having a sense of humor, how would you know?  Because you assume he hasnt shown one in the press (although he actually has)?
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2004, 11:06:03 AM »

on the music side...its nothing but band.....in my eyes a band with unlimited potential that can deliver a memorable and meanigful album.

The fact that we are on band member 15 or so right now(literally) tells you all you should need to know about how much Axl values his band members. They are nothing but interchangable parts to him that are going to bring HIS vision of Chinese Democracy to the world. There is nothing wrong with that, but to imply they are all on equal footing is a bit naive given that he is going to release a record with only music he ultimately approves of regardless of how any of the other band members may feel as its his baby.

In terms of musical integrity, I would think that essentially joining a glorified cover band(for all intents and purposes) says a thing or to about one's musical integrity. I mean the equivalent would be like Slash joining Motely Crue or something because Nicki Six or Mick Mars wouldn't come back or something, and playing all of his old songs. I just don't think there would ever be a day we would see anything like that out of him or anyone with true musical integrity that they would subject themselves to taking another guys spot in a band and playing all of his material like it was his own regardless of whether he would be making new music under the band name or not all for the sake of a good paycheck. Especially not in a band that is iconic with timeless classics like GNR. It is one thing to be covering a few songs here or there in concert, every band does it. It's an entirely different beast to be covering an entire catalog of songs though(and look at it any way you want in terms of the name thing, but about 18 of the 22 songs in concert on that tour (which I enjoyed immensely) were covers...as none of those guys wrote a lick of any of it).

I guess we just have a difference of opinion on the realities of the situation which is totally fine, as we will in the end both enjoy the album.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 11:43:40 AM by Naupis » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2004, 04:05:52 PM »

The fact that we are on band member 15 or so right now(literally) tells you all you should need to know about how much Axl values his band members
How did you arrive at that number is beyond me....the only peopel that ould have been part of the band but left were Freese, and the APC guy. And that happened so early in th ebands development. They left because they knew Axl was going to take hsi sweet ass time with the whole thing. Tobias was never even part of the band.

In terms of musical integrity, I would think that essentially joining a glorified cover band(for all intents and purposes) says a thing or to about one's musical integrity
When they release CD and tour on that material alone are they still a cover band? Nevermind if/when they release the 2 other albums....

It's an entirely different beast to be covering an entire catalog of songs though(and look at it any way you want in terms of the name thing, but about 18 of the 22 songs in concert on that tour (which I enjoyed immensely) were covers...as none of those guys wrote a lick of any of it).

read the above

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2004, 04:33:05 PM »

lol, that's one of the funniest things I've read in a few days! Grin "Showmanship"? "Charisma"? You're kidding right? I've seen VR live and I could care less about Weiland...to me Slash and Duff stole the show. Weiland made me think of a weasel who haven't eaten in a week. He may not be a junkie anymore but he sure as hell looks like one. I don't think he has any charisma at all. I just think he's pretty boring, but that's just my opinion. Bono, Freddie Mercury, Axl Rose, Robert Plant, Roger Waters. Now we're talking charisma. I don't think Weiland has any. I guess in the end it's to each his own but saying Weiland has more charisma and showmanship than Chris Cornell, that's kinda funny to me.
Don't even get me started on his lyrics... Grin

But hey, from the comments on the board, I'm guessing I'm in the minority so I just wanted to say my piece, but if you like him, that's cool! peace

Your comparing Scott Weiland's charisma to Bono...Live? Maybe Bono was a good frontman in the 80's, but hes out of touch with the modern rock scene. Bono is like the rockstar of the Gap 40+ crowd. The others you mentioned were good, but they seem less corporate than Bono.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2004, 05:02:32 PM »

How did you arrive at that number is beyond me

From the beginning: Adler, Sorum, Gilby, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Buckethead, Tommy, Robin, Fortus, Pittman, Dizzy, Brain, Freese(although you discount his contributions), Huge.

That makes 15 members who have at some point or another been in GNR (old and new band since it is still operating under the brand name of Guns N' Roses) and played a show or helped record. As they have come and gone Axl has been the one constant. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I would hardly say he views any of his counterparts as anything more than helpers in achieving his grand plan. Believe it or not the revolving door affect is noticed by casual fans as it really does make everyone in that band seem like a hired gun that so many have come and gone.?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 05:04:43 PM by Naupis » Logged
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2004, 06:26:41 PM »

He also has bi-polar disorder...maybe that explains some of it?

Yeah, that seems to be one of the most overdiagnosed disorders to me.  You go to the VR Forum board and there are about 20 people saying "yeah, I've got bi-polar too", not to make light of the problem, but it just seems like something people may use it as an excuse for bad behavior.  JMO. 

As for not having a sense of humor, how would you know?  Because you assume he hasnt shown one in the press (although he actually has)?

It's just the feeling I get from what I've read/seen about him.  I mean Duff is funny.  Slash is funny.  Weiland?  Not so funny.  He seems ultra-sensitive and touchy and serious about what he does, like he's got something to prove. 
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2004, 06:51:44 PM »

It's just the feeling I get from what I've read/seen about him.? I mean Duff is funny.? Slash is funny.? Weiland?? Not so funny.? He seems ultra-sensitive and touchy and serious about what he does, like he's got something to prove.?

you totally hit the nail on the head... he has no sense of humor. people who take themselves too seriously/can't laugh at themselves are insufferable. i totally get that feeling about scott. axl is that way too, but for some reason, it doesn't bother me as much. i could give explanations but not like any of you care that much.  hihi
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2004, 07:43:51 PM »

It's just the feeling I get from what I've read/seen about him.? I mean Duff is funny.? Slash is funny.? Weiland?? Not so funny.? He seems ultra-sensitive and touchy and serious about what he does, like he's got something to prove.?

Ive seen Weilands sense of humor.? It might not match yours, but Ive seen it plenty of times.? Hell, hes shown it plenty of times in concert with STP, whether its having Dean rip his pants off or performing in Kiss attire.? And dressing like Axl in light of the constant comparisons doesnt exactly do much to prove your point, either.? But really, your point is rather meaningless to begin with because you obviously know very little about the guy.? I know hes got a sense of humor, just like I know Axl has a sense of humor.  All we have to go on is their public personas - their interviews, public appearences and even music.  Thats not to say that theyre not generally moody or serious people, they probably are.  However, saying Weiland (or Axl) has no sense of humor, thats just false.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 07:48:18 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2004, 08:01:53 PM »

you know, you're so funny Booker. you troll this site looking for people whose opinions vary ever so slightly from yours. really, who the fuck cares?

you know as much about Weiland or Axl as i do. neither of us have, to my knowledge, ever met either of them. we have different opinions on it. people have different opinions on lots of things. get over it.

ETA: dude, you quoted something i didn't even say.  hihi although the sentiment was the same. you should get it straight who you are, senselessly, arguing with.  ok
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 08:04:08 PM by badgirl » Logged
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2004, 09:39:10 PM »

And dressing like Axl in light of the constant comparisons doesnt exactly do much to prove your point, either.  But really, your point is rather meaningless to begin with because you obviously know very little about the guy.

Don't be so touchy Booker.  Am I big fan of Weiland's?  Can I name the STP catalogue?  No.  But I know about as much as his average fan regarding his personality through footage and interviews I've read over the years.  The Halloween example doesn't really fly, I mean if he was irked by the Axl comparisons (which it seems he was), then the stunt just seems more like a dig.  Fun to watch, I'm sure, but a dig nonetheless.  It wasn't coming from a secure place, imo.  And really a guy who deadpans about "conquering the world", and comparing his concerts to "performance art" and Cirque de Soliel, really needs to lighten up.  Again, it's all in one's perspective, and that's mine. 
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2004, 10:00:42 PM »

you know as much about Weiland or Axl as i do. neither of us have, to my knowledge, ever met either of them. we have different opinions on it. people have different opinions on lots of things. get over it.

Youre right, I dont know them.  But Ive seen their sense of humor many times in their interviews, music, etc.  Therefore I know enough to know that claiming they have no sense of humor is not only presumptuous, its false.

ETA: dude, you quoted something i didn't even say.? hihi although the sentiment was the same. you should get it straight who you are, senselessly, arguing with.? ok

I addresed both yours and Freyas quotes in the same post, since youre both saying the same thing. 

Don't be so touchy Booker.

Huh

Dont misunderstand, when I say your point is meaningless, Im not being touchy or sensitive.  I simply mean the point that you made was meaningless.  Dont take it personal, Im just being blunt.

But I know about as much as his average fan regarding his personality through footage and interviews I've read over the years.

Which I doubt is enough on which to base a statement such as yours.

The Halloween example doesn't really fly, I mean if he was irked by the Axl comparisons (which it seems he was), then the stunt just seems more like a dig.  Fun to watch, I'm sure, but a dig nonetheless.  It wasn't coming from a secure place, imo

Dig or not, its humorous.  Its an example of his sense of humor, thus, contradicting your point.

And really a guy who deadpans about "conquering the world", and comparing his concerts to "performance art" and Cirque de Soliel, really needs to lighten up.

A few examples of a guy speaking seriously about his art (which you can find with almost any musician) does not prove that hes humorless. 
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2004, 10:10:36 PM »

I dont get critizing Weiland because he doesnt try to be funny. Hes in a rock band, not a comedian. His style isnt to hang out on VH1, or act like Sum 41 and Outcast or countless other bands that make videos that are supposed to be funny. Scott might take hisself too seriously sometimes but thats what makes him unique. It is possible he was considering suicide when he joined VR, and is still depressed or disturbed over things. Like being forced to stay clean for the first time.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2004, 09:09:10 AM »

I dont get critizing Weiland because he doesnt try to be funny. Hes in a rock band, not a comedian. His style isnt to hang out on VH1, or act like Sum 41 and Outcast or countless other bands that make videos that are supposed to be funny. Scott might take hisself too seriously sometimes but thats what makes him unique. It is possible he was considering suicide when he joined VR, and is still depressed or disturbed over things. Like being forced to stay clean for the first time.

As long as the guys like him and he rocks out at the shows and does everything involving the band it's all good to me.. It might just be he is a type of guy that is quit or keeps to himself, but as long as he does what I mentioned above all is good.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2004, 09:36:02 AM »

Dont misunderstand, when I say your point is meaningless, Im not being touchy or sensitive.  I simply mean the point that you made was meaningless.  Dont take it personal, Im just being blunt.

Uh huh.  I don't take anything personal on a message board.  I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this, I said "no he doesn't",  you said "yes, he does".  And apparently, only you can talk with authority about Weiland.  You're beginning to sound like a Crazy Axl Fan.  Take it down a notch. 

Which I doubt is enough on which to base a statement such as yours.

And you would know this how?  I said he comes across as serious and humourless, what a wild and crazy notion!

A few examples of a guy speaking seriously about his art (which you can find with almost any musician) does not prove that hes humorless.   

I don't have a problem with someone speaking passionately about what they love to do.  But Weiland comparing his body movements on stage to Cirque de Soleil is laughable.  You can't get any more pretentious than that. 

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2004, 10:13:16 AM »

Its really simple...you say he has no sense of humor and youre wrong.  Its that cut-and-dry.
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2004, 11:20:35 AM »

You're beginning to sound like a Crazy Axl Fan.? Take it down a notch.?

isn't he?? he's sounding eerily similar to Duh Duh Dave. pity.

i think its as simple as certain people aren't mentally sophiscated and emotionally stable enough to be able to understand nuance. so while the freaks on the board like to dissect the one example you give, the point is that its not about ONE example. its the totality of images/soundbites and your gut reaction to someone that forms your opinion.

too bad the best bands have some of the biggest blockheads as fans.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: