Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:25:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227905 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  LIBERTAD HAS LEAKED - (NO LINKS INSIDE)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LIBERTAD HAS LEAKED - (NO LINKS INSIDE)  (Read 40314 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »

I missed Slash on this record, especially the blistering Slither caliber solo. Disappointing.

Heres something "funny."

What am i saying is that slither sounds like a snakepit song to me with a better singer. Same boring lyrics, same signature, safe but decidedly undangerous slash guitarwork. I'm not impressed. most bands have one or two songs to hook you; neither SMF or Slither has proved to me that they are better than Be the Ball or Beggars. I would rather listen to the Pearl Jam, old STP, or Audioslave than bland, rancid rock.

The impression that I get is that your sudden appreciation for "Slither" is ultimately a means to do what youve always done in this section: put down VR. 
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2007, 02:06:16 PM »

Contraband was so boring, i listened to the whole album two times
i think (then i had the biggest nap of my life). 

Libertad is much better (except the lyrics of course  hihi)

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2007, 02:09:07 PM »

I missed Slash on this record, especially the blistering Slither caliber solo. Disappointing.

Heres something "funny."

What am i saying is that slither sounds like a snakepit song to me with a better singer. Same boring lyrics, same signature, safe but decidedly undangerous slash guitarwork. I'm not impressed. most bands have one or two songs to hook you; neither SMF or Slither has proved to me that they are better than Be the Ball or Beggars. I would rather listen to the Pearl Jam, old STP, or Audioslave than bland, rancid rock.

The impression that I get is that your sudden appreciation for "Slither" is ultimately a means to do what youve always done in this section: put down VR. 

While I applaud your tenacity in defending VR, and that you went and looked up one of this guy's posts from probably at least 2 years ago, it's possible to think a song has a bland or average riff but a "blistering" solo

I didn't notice anything in his post where he claimed to "appreciate" or love Slither or even claimed to think it's a good song, the only thing he praised was the solo
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »

what youve always done in this section: put down VR. 

But that's ok since he's a GN'R fan expressing his opinion on a band  that has some former GN'R members in it.

I don't know if some of you still have a problem grasping the concept that this is a site for Guns N' Roses fans.

We only have a VR section so those of you who are interested in the above mentioned ex-members' current band has a place to discuss it. It doesn't mean all the posts in this section has to be supportive of VR.

In my opinion, it would be ridiculous to assume that.

Not all GN'R fans like VR.

But I do assume that all the people who post here support Guns N' Roses.

If you don't, you really are on the wrong site.

And yes Booker, you can quote me on this in a few years while taking it completely out of context in the process.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2007, 02:29:23 PM »

VELVET REVOLVER: Entire 'Libertad' Album Available For Streaming - June 26, 2007

VELVET REVOLVER's entire new album, "Libertad", is available for streaming on the ClearChannelMusic.com web site.

http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/cc-common/mfeatures/velvetrevolverSP/

Thanks a lot! ok
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2007, 02:33:27 PM »

Heres something "funny."

And this was my first impression of a song which over the past few years, i have gained a new appreciation for.

This is the weakness with your diligence; opinions constantly evolve. At some point in the future, I may even appreciate Libertad, but I am not at that point.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

And this was my first impression of a song which over the past few years, i have gained a new appreciation for.

Glad to hear it.  Its unfortunate, though convenient, that the first time youve ever expressed this appreciation is to put down VR.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2007, 02:53:09 PM »

Glad to hear it.  Its unfortunate, though convenient, that the first time youve ever expressed this appreciation is to put down VR.

Such ego. Perhaps you are simply not looking in the right places. I have said positive things about VR many times at many different boards. Just because you were not there to see it, does not mean it did not happen.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »

Glad to hear it.? Its unfortunate, though convenient, that the first time youve ever expressed this appreciation is to put down VR.

The only reason you find it unfortunate and convenient is because it differs from your opinion of VR.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »

Well in Bookers defense, if your opinion changed that much, listen a few times so that you get a more solid basis on which to judge the songs.  Silkworms for example sucked 5 years ago, just like it does now.  Big Machine Blows 3 years ago, as it does now.  Libertad?  Fucking rocks.  Let it soak in a bit, then, if you think it still sucks, at least you gave it a fair shot.  I have had BLS Mafia for two years, it has finally sunk in and I love it.  So to agree with Killing Vector, I agree, you opinion can change.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2007, 03:08:17 PM »

Well in Bookers defense, if your opinion changed that much, listen a few times so that you get a more solid basis on which to judge the songs.  Silkworms for example sucked 5 years ago, just like it does now.  Big Machine Blows 3 years ago, as it does now.  Libertad?  Fucking rocks.  Let it soak in a bit, then, if you think it still sucks, at least you gave it a fair shot.  I have had BLS Mafia for two years, it has finally sunk in and I love it.  So to agree with Killing Vector, I agree, you opinion can change.

It very well may, but that is a personal journey which takes it own time. Many posters here have written their initial reactions, D for instance. I predict he will hail this as the record of the year within a week. My appreciation may take longer.....

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2007, 03:09:26 PM »

The only reason you find it unfortunate and convenient is because it differs from your opinion of VR.

Ali

hihi

Booker can call other people biased against VR but on the other hand, did anyone believe he was going to give anything less than a glowing review of Libertad?  His and certain others' positive, praise filled reviews were no less predictable than the people he's accusing of having anti-VR bias giving less than stellar reviews of the album.  It's a two way street, in the end it all balances out.  Everyone is biased to one degree or another
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2007, 05:30:19 PM »

If Axl ever released this garbage he would be crucified

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2007, 05:37:26 PM »

crying

Axl gets crucified no matter what he does.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2007, 07:47:10 PM »

Wow you both sound like axl  bitches? Axl doesnt get crucified for anything he does , he hasn't released any material in over a decade and has on various occasions promised an album? Thats the difference between Rose and the rest of the bunch. All Slash wanted to do was created Rock N Roll , nothing more nothing less just good , dirty rock n roll. Axl has some grand master plan  , some giant vision which we've yet to see? He is still out there playing 20 year old songs night after night.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2007, 08:24:16 PM »

What happened to the 3 solo songs, 2 minute solos?

(Sadly no) 80's cock rock died out years ago. If they started putting stuff like that out (and I would love more Slash) they might as well have grabbed Sebastian Bach as a lead singer because they would be playing in front of about 4 people a night after being brandished as dated 80's burnouts stuck playing the exact same stlye stuff they did 20 years ago.

While the solos may be a little shorter, Slash & the entire band for that matter sound fresher and more relevant than they have in years. We should be applauding them for diversifying their sound and style from one album to the next, as Slash has been repeatedly accused of only wanting to be like AC/DC and play the same style rock song for 20 years. Libertad pretty clearly debunks the notion that Slash is not adaptable to new sounds and is stuck in the 80's.

Longer solos couldn't hurt mainstream music. He is VERY adaptable to new styles but he wants to dish out good rock n roll is that bad? Is it really slash's fault music sucks now a days? why should he have to adapt hahah?
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2007, 10:16:46 PM »

Listening to this now via the "sneak peek"

First two tracks were good.

the third, "get out the door".....  not so good.

here comes the first single............good tune.  I could see it growing on me.

into Mary Mary right now (the songs before that were kinda lame).  Ok song, I don't know, I just don't think Scott and Slash can ever mix.  It seems like either the vocals are being forced on the guitar or vice versa in most of the songs.  Like they can't decide if they want to be GNR in your face rock or more Cheap Trick/Weiland-ish

nice solo by slash here on Mary Mary, kinda short though.

so far it seems very average to me.  nothing that made me so "WHOA, i need to hear that again RIGHT NOW!".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:34:28 PM by Lil' Butters » Logged

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2007, 02:41:12 AM »

what youve always done in this section: put down VR.?

But that's ok since he's a GN'R fan expressing his opinion on a band? that has some former GN'R members in it.

I don't know if some of you still have a problem grasping the concept that this is a site for Guns N' Roses fans.

We only have a VR section so those of you who are interested in the above mentioned ex-members' current band has a place to discuss it. It doesn't mean all the posts in this section has to be supportive of VR.

In my opinion, it would be ridiculous to assume that.

Not all GN'R fans like VR.

But I do assume that all the people who post here support Guns N' Roses.

If you don't, you really are on the wrong site.

And yes Booker, you can quote me on this in a few years while taking it completely out of context in the process.

/jarmo

That's bullshit man. Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver are two different band for fuck sakes. One may be so sick of Guns right now, and post in the VR section. But all you show is hate.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2007, 02:57:26 AM »

to all the little boys who insulted me >> i say what i want, how i want.
if U disagree, i really don't care. clear enough ?

the thing i can't understand here is we are allowed to talk about the
whole leaked VR album and we just can't do that for Guns. too bad.

GN'R have specifically asked not to discuss the album.

VR are yet to issue such a? statement.

Wrong, The band and their managment did request that.

They just didn't send Jarmo the message...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »

The problem with Libertad (and also a problem on Contraband) is these songs all have potential to be really good to great songs.   A textbook example would be Suckertrain Blues.  It starts off great and has a great Slash solo, but the chorus is just.. cheese.  and then the lyrics top that off.   So its frustrating when I hear some of these songs, because they could be so much better but something ruins most of them.   What could have been two excellent albums is instead two mediocre efforts of barely listenable filler mixed in with a couple solid tracks.

Let It Roll - Best song on the album.  I quite like it.  8/10.

Shes Mine - I like the intro, but after that I'm lost for words. What a disappointment. can't quite pinpoint it but it doesn't work. 4/10

Get Out The Door - Hated it on my first listen.  After a second its listenable and has a nice groove.     6/10

She Builds Quick Machines -  A song that has some catchy parts and some potential, but it just doesn't cut it.  Why was this the single? I HATE the chorus and Scott sounds lame.   4/10

The Last Fight - YGNR II but not as good and it almost sounds like they are trying tooo hard.  but again, it could have turned out amazing, so maybe they shoulda tried harder.  Nonetheless one of the better songs.  6/10.

Pills, Demons, Whatever - I couldn't listen to this one more than once.  Crap.   1/10

American Man - Catchy chorus, but the verses leave me scratching my head.  Some nice guitar at the end saves it from being a total disaster. 4/10

Mary Mary - Guitar sounds great.  Some very catchy redeeming parts, but a poor intro and the lyrics are terrible.  5/10

Just 16 - Another catchy chorus (at least melody wise), but the vocals don't fit the song at all.   The riff is nice, as is the solo.  This one could have been a great song with better vocals and lyrics.  6/10

Can't Get It Out Of My Head - I can get this one out of my head, no problem because its not the least bit memorable.  3/10

For A Brother - one word. filler.  3/10

Spay - well its better than the last 2.  This one has some redeeming qualities but doesn't reach the level it should have. 5/10

Gravedancer - Boring.  I was looking forward to this one for some reason, I don't know why.  I thought Loving The Alien sucked.  This is like its retarded little brother. 4/10

what is that honky tonk shit after gravedancer Huh  Its kinda catchy.  At least they are doing some different shit.

In conclusion, another mediocre album from Velvet Revolver. Scott VOICE does sound good, best he's sounded in years.  But his lyrics are stale and uninspiried and he mumbles way too much.  Slash sounds great too, he got a great tone on this album, probably the best he's gotten since UYI.  Even Matt is sounding pretty good, some great drumming on this album and I tend to think his style is too tight, so thats cool.  but all together, it just doesn't work. Although the production is better than Contraband, the material is not.  And Contraband wasn't anything special.  But the best 3 songs on Contraband are better than the best 3 songs on this album.  The rest is all filler as far as I'm concerned The end result is confusing. 

Overall 4.5/10.  Mediocre as fuck.

Let them release a couple more albums, and after that a best of VR album.  THAT might be an album worth buying.  This one is not and I won't be buying it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: