Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:23:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227900 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'  (Read 39271 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »

Who the hell is Jim Root and Mick Thomson. I've never heard their names before this thread.

Millions of Slipknot fans have though. 0_o

And that's fine, but both of them together haven't had .1% impact on the music industry than Ace himself. But of course this band is taken so serious unlike Kiss.

Dude what fucking planet are you on with Ace Frehley over here?  You are acting like he was  Eddie Van Halen or Jimi Hendrix!!  The dude was an ok player, but if you think that Kiss's success wasn't mostly due to their image and merchandising I dont know what to tell you .  I love how you are ripping on Slipknot for their image but defending a band that dresses up like clowns.  Unreal.  I am a Kiss fan, probably a bigger one than you actually, which is the ironic thing here.  But I know their role, I wont be confusing their MUSICAL influence with that of Led Zeppelin or the Stones anytime soon.

I did get a kick out of you rationalizing Kiss whoring themselves out by comparing what they do to how other bands sell merchandise.  Get real.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:15:20 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »

Someone said Slipknot have been around 13 years or so? 13 years into Kiss' career Ace was one of the most influential/well known guitarists. Who the hell is Jim Root and Mick Thomson. I've never heard their names before this thread. Never read of them once on any website or anything. Slipknot are a bunch of nobodies... (with a fast drummer of course!).

hahaha im there with u ace.

saying cause somebody plays guitar fast or drums fast makes the greatest would be like saying cause someone runs fast they are the greatest football player or just cause someone jumps the highest they are the greatest basketball player. NO there are all sorts of intangible qualities.

exactly, One of my favorite guitar players is Slash.  If I felt that way I would not be a fan of Slash, I would be a fan of Malmsteen, Petrucci etc...so D I understand there are intangibles.  I think Kurt Cobain blows Ace Frehley out of the water, and I don't think it is even debatable who the better guitar player is of the two.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »

Plus as previously stated, their music is fucking absolute garbage

In your opinion. Wink

You yourself have - quite rightly - used the 'music is subjective' argument before in relation to other bands, so using the 'quality' of any band's music in an argument is pointless. I like Slipknot's music. That's my counter-argument to that one. Grin

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »

Who the hell is Jim Root and Mick Thomson. I've never heard their names before this thread.

Millions of Slipknot fans have though. 0_o

And that's fine, but both of them together haven't had .1% impact on the music industry than Ace himself. But of course this band is taken so serious unlike Kiss.

Dude what fucking planet are you on with Ace Frehley over here?  You are acting like he was  Eddie Van Halen or Jimi Hendrix!!  The dude was an ok player, but if you think that Kiss's success wasn't mostly due to their image and merchandising I dont know what to tell you .  I love how you are ripping on Slipknot for their image but defending a band that dresses up like clowns.  Unreal.  I am a Kiss fan, probably a bigger one than you actually, which is the ironic thing here.  But I know their role, I wont be confusing their MUSICAL influence with that of Led Zeppelin or the Stones anytime soon.

I did get a kick out of you rationalizing Kiss whoring themselves out by comparing what they do to how other bands sell merchandise.  Get real.

As I Guitar Player I've been reading this thread pretty often and laughing. I don't understand how someone can say that KISS has influenced SO MANY bands, and then turn around and say one of those bands is just RIPPING them off haha.  beer
serp616
Rocker

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »

wtf is all this talk about Corey joining VR?
i don't see how he can seriously even consider this horrendous idea :S
from my point of view it will be a serious downgrade for Corey, and Corey deserves a helluva lot better than joining ranks with these has beens....
slash can just continue his solo stuff for all i care, and duff can keep up loaded(wich actualyl seems to do good). but for the love of god leave Corey out of this.....he is so much better than friggin VR
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »

from my point of view it will be a serious downgrade for Corey, and Corey deserves a helluva lot better than joining ranks with these has beens....
slash can just continue his solo stuff for all i care, and duff can keep up loaded(wich actualyl seems to do good). but for the love of god leave Corey out of this.....he is so much better than friggin VR

While I don't agree with everything you said, I kind of get your point.  Corey brings a lot more to VR right now than they bring to him.  I think the idea of playing with his friends who he has looked up to his whole life is quite appealing to him.  But the dude sells out arenas with Slipknot and Stone sour, so he is not hurting for work.  He is certainly much more relevant in today's hard rock scene.  That doesnt mean he is better, but he is more relevant.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »

Plus as previously stated, their music is fucking absolute garbage

In your opinion. Wink

You yourself have - quite rightly - used the 'music is subjective' argument before in relation to other bands, so using the 'quality' of any band's music in an argument is pointless. I like Slipknot's music. That's my counter-argument to that one. Grin

yeah but that argument only works when it helps my point. hihi hihi Tongue

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »

While I don't agree with everything you said, I kind of get your point.  Corey brings a lot more to VR right now than they bring to him.  I think the idea of playing with his friends who he has looked up to his whole life is quite appealing to him.  But the dude sells out arenas with Slipknot and Stone sour, so he is not hurting for work.  He is certainly much more relevant in today's hard rock scene.  That doesnt mean he is better, but he is more relevant.

So now Corey  Taylor is more relevant than Slash?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2011, 09:31:20 PM »

Nice to see this thread has degenerated into a KISS vs. Slipknot debate. I haven't followed the whole thread, what am I missing? Has grandpa Simmons auditioned for VR as well?

I don't really care for Slipknot either, but it certainly will be interesting to see what Corey Taylor (if that's whom they finally select) as an individual can contribute to VR.

IMO, I have never had much respect for bands that have to resort to pyrotechnics or make up or masks or anything else to sell their music.

Fuck 'Em All.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2011, 10:37:01 PM »

Corey is timely (current) where Slash is timeless (classic) which may indeed equate to relevent on today's musical landscape.  Who knows..

Hell, the same model worked with Weiland and the fellas and VR Mach 1 - they caught lighning in a bottle with that combination.

Not so sure that scenario could play out again with Taylor or anyone else for that matter..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:47:06 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »

Corey is timely (current) where Slash is timeless (classic) which may indeed equate to relevent on today's musical landscape.

Hell, the same model worked with Weiland and the fellas and VR Mach 1..

exactly.  He is younger, and sells more records, thus he is more relevant.  Doesn't mean he is BETTER than Slash,  but more relevant in todays hard rock world.  Every Slipknot record goes platinum, Slash's records don't.  Slipknot is a headlining act at festivals around the world, Slash is on in the middle of the day.  Corey singing for VR would bring a whole bunch of new fans to the band, I don't really see Corey's career benefiting from joining the band, he already has 2 highly successful bands.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:49:38 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Doofey
Headliner

« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »

Corey is timely (current) where Slash is timeless (classic) which may indeed equate to relevent on today's musical landscape.

Hell, the same model worked with Weiland and the fellas and VR Mach 1..

exactly.  He is younger, and sells more records, thus he is more relevant.  Doesn't mean he is BETTER than Slash,  but more relevant in todays hard rock world.  Every Slipknot record goes platinum, Slash's records don't.  Slipknot is a headlining act at festivals around the world, Slash is on in the middle of the day.  Corey singing for VR would bring a whole bunch of new fans to the band, I don't really see Corey's career benefiting from joining the band, he already has 2 highly successful bands.

I know I'll get shit for saying this, but I wonder how much of a problem that is? Or will be? Does Slash really want to be #2 in the band?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: