Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:59:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227922 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Avril Lavinge-crap or not?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avril Lavinge-crap or not?  (Read 15386 times)
RichardNixon
« on: August 26, 2004, 06:47:00 AM »

Is she really an "artist" or is she just Britney Spears with a pseudo punk persona?
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 07:00:35 AM »

The latter.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 09:40:37 AM »

no shes pretty cool...got some good tunes...and i loved it when she showed her ass crack at the mmvas

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 10:24:50 AM »

no shes pretty cool...got some good tunes...and i loved it when she showed her ass crack at the mmvas

It's understandable you dig her, considering you're exactly her target audience.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 10:46:11 AM »

She is like a lot of other artists that if she just came out and was what she was I could dig her.? I hate posers and to me she is a huge poser! If she just came out as a Pop type this is what I am type performer it would be cool cause she has some ok songs.

Punk though? are u kiddin me? There is nothing at all punk about her and it really gets on my nerves seeing her pose it up in videos and on tv.? In my opinion, to be punk u have to do some outrageous and anarchy type shit, what has she ever done? She isn't even remotely controversial so that makes it kinda cheesy watchin her.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 03:00:21 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 10:52:33 AM »

Hey D, you used capital letters and everything! What's up with this? That was actually a lot easier to read than your normal stuff, thanks Smiley

KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 11:29:25 AM »

I missed her ass crack - but by not listening to her - I doubt I am missing much.......

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 02:46:17 PM »

I think she's pretty good - okay its not world changing stuff but for pop music its a step in the right direction - she's got some good tunes and writes atleast some of it herself.

Plus she is soooooooooooo hot peace

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 02:58:59 PM »

I think she's pretty good - okay its not world changing stuff but for pop music its a step in the right direction - she's got some good tunes and writes atleast some of it herself.

Plus she is soooooooooooo hot peace

YES!  You hit the nail on the head there, Izzy.  I like Avril, personally.  Her songs are sort of halfway between rock and pop...call it rock for teenyboppers.  Her lyrics are pretty typical teenage stuff, but the songs are catchy and fun to listen to, so that's okay with me.  My favourite song from her is "Losing Grip"...it's more of her harder side.  They used to play that on my local rock station and I had no idea it was Avril, I thought it was like Alanis Morrissette or somebody.  Her other songs are alright - "My Happy Ending", "Complicated", "Anything But Ordinary" are all guilty pleasures of mine.  So I think she's okay...nothing mind-blowing, but pleasant enough pop-rock.

Plus - and this is a big plus - I'm totally in love with her.  She's about my age, she's got a bit more substance than people like Britney Spears, her music is closer to rock, she's from my town, and she's hot, Hot, HOT.  drool

...okay, I'm done now.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 03:03:08 PM »

Whoa Whoa Whoa wait a minute Mattman!!!!!!!!!

Avril's name belongs nowhere beside Alanis'.  Alanis is a lyrical genius, her lyrics are deeper than just about anyone in music today.  Alanis also produces herself and writes most of the music whereas avril may write some lyrics but has a production team to help out with hooks etc.

Alanis also seems authentic whereas Avril seems created.

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 03:33:29 PM »

I have to admit I like her. I don't listen to her every day, but every now and then. I don't like complicated or Sk8er boy, but some songs from her first cd are pretty good. The second one I think is even better, and I've read that she's been more part of the writing process with the latter.

All the punk thing really hasn't bothered me since I haven't been able to take seriously any of the "fight the power" bullshit by any artist that has performed at VMAs. I mean it's one thing to have a cause you believe in, but all this let's be rebels just for the sake of it. But it sort of suits her...

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 03:37:47 PM »

HOT function ------------------------------>     Avril > Alanis = Avril is hotter than Alanis

Music function ---------------------------->      Avril < Alanis = Avril's music is crab whereas Alanis's music is likeable
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 03:49:42 PM »

Somehow I feel that the people who find her hot are setting their standards a bit low.. If I met her walking down the street, I honestly wouldn't look twice. She's a dime a dozen.

Jaded
Rocker

Going 'straight' will get you nowhere

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 04:21:09 PM »

i really like her music- i think she knows that she is pop though!

It's evolution, baby!
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 05:07:24 PM »

Crap.  She's a dumb little girl, trying to act tough. 
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 06:08:37 PM »

Anyone see that south park where they ragged on the nonconformists who are really conforming? Thats what she reminds me of. Nothing authentic about her in my eyes. And I am not a fan of her music either.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 06:47:32 PM »

Yeah, I agree with Dizzy, she isn't like Britney by any means.  I just classify her like Good Charlotte,Blink 182,Sum 41 etc etc. She is more talented than any of the other newer female artists but callin her punk is still pretty laughable when you really think of the true definition of punk.

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 07:32:22 PM »

Anybody who thinks she's just like Britney Spears has never seen or listened to her.  Unlike Britney, Avril write her own songs, plays an instrument, and sings with her voice instead of her nose.

Having said that, I don't think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I like a few of her songs here and there.  She writes fairly good lyrics.

As far as her looks go, she's cute but definitely not "hot".

When did she start writting her own songs?

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2004, 08:50:14 PM »

First she comes out as ALL PUNK, against the "system" dressed like a punk wannabee. Now when you see her she's dressed in designer clothes. She went from hanging out with Kelly Osbourne to hanging out with Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton. Suuuuuure she's real punk alright

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 01:38:48 AM »

Ahhh....no big deal. The term punk is used pretty loose, and has been for some time.

She's a kid that is talented. She has a cool voice and decent lyrics. She is automatically has a huge teenage girl fanbase from that.

Is she earth shatteringly great? No.

It is what it is.

I think she is a fuckin' little hot chick, but I feel like a child molester when I look at her.  hihi

I think it was lame of her to say that the young girls who dressed like her were stupid for doing so. I mean, how many young kids dress like their idols? I see people on this board who dress like their idols. So to call you fanbase stupid, is well...stupid!

She should enjoy it while she can, it'll all be over soon. Just like Allanis....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: