Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:32:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The ULTIMATE GNR 2007
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The ULTIMATE GNR 2007  (Read 12156 times)
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 11:44:56 PM »

Yeh, doing something with Geldof would be good - the point of 'Civil War' would be very apt, considering the state of the world today.......

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
judaskennedy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 12:33:21 AM »

play some shows with slash as a guest

play at my birthday party
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 01:06:47 AM »

Now that is a bloody good idea!! Had to be said..... ok

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 02:17:39 AM »

Act like they care about their careers...

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
deep pocketz
Headliner

Lagada

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »

They should do American Idol Finale.
odd1
Banned
Rocker

The storm is getting CLOSER !!!

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 09:28:20 AM »

Other than the injury to Tommy............they could.........STOP DICKIN' AROUND

Agreed, get off your ass Axl peace
overmatik
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »

You now what would be perfect, on the day of Chinese Democracy release, they could perform the full CD live at MTV studios, being broadcasted to all MTV's around the world. Now, this would be huge!!! Smiley
Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2007, 03:32:58 PM »

Ad's and Vids on Fuse.

(usa music TV channel.. seems on par with MTV2 but a little bit cooler)
^faeryeV
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 05:55:47 AM »

Axl should rant harder on the shows he doesn't cancel.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 06:22:54 AM »

I'm not too demanding, an album will do just fine

Here today...ready to rock
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 07:14:48 AM »

I'm not too demanding, an album will do just fine

so you are pretty demanding smoking

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 09:04:28 AM »

I'd like to think the best thing they could do would be to release a fantastic album, but the state of modern music clearly illustrates that the quality of an artist's musicianship matters little when compared to image and the stupidity of teenagers (excluding, obviously, any upstanding young rock n' rollers who happen to like GNR, of course? Grin).

As someone who is on the wrong side of 45 and who views the output from many of the currently popular artists as a triumph of style over substance, and marketing skills over musicianship, I would have instinctively agreed with your comment about the apparent lack of musical taste amongst many youngsters, were it not for a conversation I had with a colleague this morning that restored a little of my faith in their judgment.? The chap in question is around my age and has a 17-year-old Goth daughter, presently studying at boarding school.? The other day he went to play AFD and found it missing, the Illusion albums too were gone.? It turns out that said daugher had returned to school after the Easter break taking his collection of GNR and Queen albums with her because, she later revealed, within the current Goth scene GNR are considered the epitome of cool (with Queen too seeing something of a resurgence).

I was surprised to say the least as I never had GNR down as being popular with Goths - they certainly weren't admired by the Goths I knew back in the 1980s - but presumably musical and style lines have blurred with time.? I can't say that I like GNR being pigeonholed, anymore than I'm sure anyone else on here does, but I do find it interesting to find that they've attracted such a following amongst this particular crowd and wonder how much of this popularity can be attributed to their very successful UK tour last year.

If this is the case, then I think it reaffirms Axl's decision of getting GNR back on the road in order to showcase the abilities of the new band members as a worthwhile one (if anyone still had any doubts!), and one which will ultimately provide Guns with a solid base of 'grass root' support from newer/younger fans from which to launch CD.? If Axl can maintain the momentum, get the album out within the year, and then tour worldwide in support of it, I believe that when 2008 draws to a close, GNR will be once again be scaling those same dizzying heights they hit back in the 1990s.

So in answer to the initial question, I'd hope for a blend of old and new-style promotion; utilising the techniques of today with the technology of tomorrow, but still staying true to the values that made GNR such an explosive force in the 1980s and 1990s.

OK, I'll get down off my soapbox now..? Grin

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 09:17:58 AM »

Yes, I too have noticed that 'the kids' are really liking our music. Just as I had a thing for music of the 60s and 70s when I was a teen in the 80's.....only 5 years ago, music of the 80s was considered daggy by the younger generation........and so, the wheel turns..... Wink

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

http://www.myspace.com/pellostone

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 09:59:44 AM »

Yes, I too have noticed that 'the kids' are really liking our music. Just as I had a thing for music of the 60s and 70s when I was a teen in the 80's.....only 5 years ago, music of the 80s was considered daggy by the younger generation........and so, the wheel turns..... Wink

the GNR sound is considered "has been" by the 2007 generation.

really.

stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »

Little do they know that there are 7 basic guitar riffs in the world (theme and variation), 7 basic movie plots etc.

Its so important to look to past in order to understand what is happening today.........

Lots of the new music that is around today is very 1980s in its essence........

Finally, answer me this, why is "generation 07" reviving all the daggy fashions of the 80's?
Is it because the cycle is being repeated?

Stay around long enough and you begin to notice these things....... yes
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:43:30 AM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
markpeterhughes73
Headliner

Waiting, waiting, waiting some more... Chin Dem?

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »

Little do they know that there are 7 basic guitar riffs in the world (theme and variation), 7 basic movie plots etc.

Its so important to look to past in order to understand what is happening today.........

Lots of the new music that is around today is very 1980s in its essence........

Finally, answer me this, why is "generation 07" reviving all the daggy fashions of the 80's?
Is it because the cycle is being repeated?

Stay around long enough and you begin to notice these things....... yes

You probably have a point but whether GNR are rotating styles is NOT something I can accept.  GNR influences are nothing like GNR music.  How does RS sound like GNR or Nazereth??? GNR were unique but if you liked Skid Row in the 80s 90s then I am sure you'd agree that they were similar yet miles apart.

Ask yourself WHY?
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 09:00:18 PM »

I'm talking generally - the big picture. Suddenly the 80s are cool again. Time is circular......
Why? A reason may be it's because the people who were 'young' in the 80s are now old enough to talk about that time with some insight.....as you just did!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
markpeterhughes73
Headliner

Waiting, waiting, waiting some more... Chin Dem?

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2007, 11:37:08 AM »

OK fair enough but GNR really need to update its fans on the progress of the band because they're fading again.  Axl was a recluse for so long that he really needs to push the people behind the scenes to let us know how far things are progressing.
I just get sick of the wait for more news that hits me in rumours rather than fact. Why don't GNR? directly keep us up to date with progress, they seem amature right now with their public relations.
dungbeetle
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »

I think you need regular promotion for any other big band.  Press junkets, talk shows, documentary, christ a radio single will do wonders.  Its amazing how many 14-20 year olds like GnR.  A strong first single and everything will be cool.  Just remember play 70 strong shows and cancel 2 or 3 shows.  What do you think gets more media coverage.  The negative story.  The American press loves to bring people up and just as quick as that bring you down.  Ask Lindsay Lohan or Howard Dean.  However the press also loves a great triumph over struggle story too.

Dont eat cheese after midnight
MotherGooseLuvR
More synthesizer (and Pitman) please
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 12:01:33 PM »

GNR shouldn't (and won't) waste a penny of their resources or an ounce of their energies on publicity until the album's actually coming out.

Tours don't mean the album's coming out.  If anything, it's the opposite.  Tours mean the band's still got some work to do on the album, but need to raise some funds to do so.  The label cut the band off years ago.  When re-recording and re-mixing needs to be done, Axl's gotta pay for it himself.

How exactly does anyone expect Axl to manage the publicity and pre-release for his album when he's doing shows all night?  And even if you don't believe me, can't you just believe history?  This isn't the first time the band's toured without CD coming out.  What have we learned about that process?

? Mother Goose sez: GET YO SYNTH ON, BITCHES!? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: