Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:22:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  How do YOU write a song (and what do you write about)?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do YOU write a song (and what do you write about)?  (Read 4814 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« on: July 21, 2003, 02:18:32 AM »

I write songs occasionally, but I often find myself getting a bit of writer's block.  I was wondering what all you other musicians out there like to write songs about - what subjects do you tend to base your lyrics on?  Do you tend to write long complicated songs, short catchy songs, ballads, some combination, or something else entirely?

Finally, how do you usually go about the process of writing a song?  Do you write it alone, or do you jam with a band?  Do you write the lyrics first, the music first, or at the same time?  And how do you get a melody AND chords or riffs behind it?  I can't seem to do both.

Any wisdom you more experienced songwriters could offer me would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 02:20:27 AM »

Btw, it's not like I believe there's some "magic formula" for writing a perfect song (and even if there was, you don't want your songs to get formulaic  Wink).  I was just wondering how other people write songs and thinking maybe I could some ideas.

Thanks.  [ok]
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 08:21:58 AM »

I'm not very good at writing them..... the only whole song i've ever written was about a toaster called bill Undecided

But, I do have a chuckload of riffs
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 11:57:04 AM »

Btw, it's not like I believe there's some "magic formula" for writing a perfect song (and even if there was, you don't want your songs to get formulaic  Wink).  I was just wondering how other people write songs and thinking maybe I could some ideas.

Thanks.  [ok]

you should get axlgreece?s attention, he?s the next best thing after axl! read his "Alone" and you?ll see what i mean! [ok] [drooling]

whish i had writing skills like that... all that comes out of me when i try to write lyrics is fuck this and fuck that... no future in rock n?roll for me...  Cry

but oh well, at least i can relate to gn?r?s lyrics, so i take as axl just wrote them for me...

[peace]

good luck

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 11:59:40 AM »

I used to write quite often a couple of years ago, then I had to quit because it was taking up too much of my time.

I tended to start on acoustic, and just strum through some random chords... not common chords, but coming up with cool original ones and trying to put them together to sound cool, without the need for any vocals. I get bored just playing standard chord sequences. Unless you come up with a killer melody, it just gets dull doing that for every song.

After that I would just play it over and over and over until I got a cool melody happening, at which point the lyrics started. My lyrics generally blow though, so I can't really help you out there! Just sing from the heart I s'pose.

I would always come up with a bridge or middle 8 section last. I always found those parts easier to write for some reason.

Probably no help, but bleh...  [smoking] [beer] [peace]

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 07:42:16 PM »

Another thing you might keep in mind:  When you write the music first, sometimes there's a tendency to write lyrics that directly follow the rhythm of the guitar part.  But if you write the words first, it can result in an interesting interaction between the number of syllables sung and the number of beats on the guitar.  This helps break up the sameness of vocal sound that often otherwise results.

That's quite an interesting point... I noticed some bands having lyrics like this, most notably Matchbox 20, and more recently the Darkness, but to a lesser extent.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 03:28:22 PM »

It appears on my head all together. I start with few chourds and make the basic structure of the song, and then I modelate it into a more complex thing.

For example, yesterday i've got few cool chourds for a ballad, and before sleeep at the night, All the song became to my mind, drum parts, solo parts, etc etc etc.

Too bad I'm dislexic and I'm too lazy to write it or record it

[peace]

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 03:30:04 PM »

everything starts in your mind, an idea, or practicing and getting a cool riff by mistake or without intention (sweet child ! ! !  [hihi] )

Dizzy
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 06:00:28 PM »

I write them like Ozzy does, very metaphorically, very emotionally, very appealingly.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 06:45:49 PM »

I don't write songs really. But when I do write, I write completely out of emotion, being feelings of happy(i.e. LOVE) or sadness.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2003, 04:53:03 AM »

inspiration, sometimes ill just write lyrics pages and pages full and ill cut and paste and use some from this and that, music ill just jam till i get on something cool and ill record whatever music im playing, then ill hum over top of it, after a little bit my humming turns into a kick ass melody, then i replace the melody with lyrics

after i do this, i add the drums to the music and i edit the music and add something here take somethin out there,

then im at the drums with the guitar part, ill get my bass, and ill play with that a bunch of times till im doing something cool on bass, and then i record it, then i usually break out my keyboard and add some texture and depth with something simple using a cool effect

then ill add my rough vocal, then i will get my guitar and start jammin leads with what i got recorded, and i make up killer guitar melodies slash style, when i get what i want i record it, then i go back and do the vocals right, ill add a little something else here and there, then pow the song is done.

i write what i know, i dont tackle shit i dont have experience with, u have to sound authentic in your song, for instance i  couldnt write about france cause ive never been there etc.]\

write from the heart, make sure u have a good chorus, make sure your lyrics fit together, for instance u wanna tell a story that makes sense and goes in order, make sure u stay on topic of what u are tryin to say.

most importantly write to please yourself, i could let everyone in here hear one of my songs, and half may love it, half may hate it, so u cant really get to discouraged if someone doesnt like it, u cant get to happy if someone likes it, cause opinions vary, so please yourself and your song is good.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 04:55:17 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
A.L.R.
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2003, 12:23:22 AM »

Well when I write down the lyrics, I need to be in a weird state of mind.  Like, if im reely sad and shit theres no way im gonna get a pen n paper and confront it right away, maybe a day or two later.  And when, I'm reely happy I dont wanna try to write a song, get writers block and get all pissed off.  I need to be happy but not extremely happy and sad but not really sad.  Weird.  Also, sometimes I'll think of like a metaphor about life or something and when I do this, usually I can finish that song whenever I feel inspired too becuase its not relying on raw emotions.  Most of the time, something will happen though, and itll get me emotional and the words just flow in my head and race to paper(sometimes papers).

ehhh elllll errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2003, 03:02:42 AM »

Since I have no musical ability what-so-ever, I have to be inspried by a different song. get a basic idea of a flow of words.......and then just put the pen to the paper and see what happens. You write about what you know.....That's about all I can say to you........

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2003, 10:37:24 AM »

i dont write at all.

i talk.
i dont write down emotions or anything.
i just talk, talk, talk. thats all i do.

Hellmo
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 07:54:15 AM »

I write lyrics n music seperatly then blend the two.I can sit down at my guitar an write riffs, chords for the Vox n Solos but i find it hard to put them together in a structure, so I put them on PC n then jam with iit to get the fills/alternate lines. The best thing to do to write musically is to get some kind of recording, jam for ages when your in the mood then listen bakc and keep what you like-write it down etc.
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2003, 01:29:27 PM »

I just have things i want to talk about. I sit down and talk on paper.
When i have a block, it means i have no subject i want to share with people.

Got to be a kind of exhibtionist to share our deepest emotions. It's this combined to others things, wanting to pass messages along, wanting to share our hopes and fears, our secrets without ever having to really tell them..So many things. Wanting to be accepted and loved for who we are.

In one's life, there are many things we don't share. But so many things to say, so many opinions on life, on almost everything.

That's how it all comes out for me. Opinions, hurts, pleasures, demons, anything, even waking up on a beautiful morning and feeling like i can be part of the universe ( which is fucking rare actually)..

I just sit down, without concentration and pour my heart out, because i know my paper won't judge me. I usually write a song or poem in about 5 to 15 mn.

Fast because once i know what i want to talk about, it all come out in one jet.

Nothing to say
Toast960
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2003, 01:28:39 AM »

Well I either write about person things in my life or I take a really cool line that might come in my mind and just play off that line. Don't force yourself to write. Just wait for an insperation to come to you. Everyone goes through dry spells. Even The Beatles had dry spells, despite how hard that may seem, lol. In time, an idea or lyric will come to you that'll just set you off writing again.

I love this job more than I love taffy. And I'm a man who loves his taffy

-Mayor Adam West
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 12:50:29 PM »

wot i do is that it depends whcih mood im in.  if im depressed then i could pehaps write about depressing things in life in a poetic fashion and figure a rhythm for it. if i'm in a immature mood, normally after parties or pissing around then i will write some of the most clownlike songs (if ya get me). or if you're normal, the best songs to write tend to have emotions. all my songs so far a clownlike only 1 serious 1.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2004, 03:21:04 PM »

I write the music first, most of the time it starts with chord changes and sometimes riffs. I can only come up with ideas when I play on an acoustic guitar or just strum my Les Paul acousticly.

Then I go make the drum track and play along with it untill I've got one complete rhythm guitar. Then I'll go record that rhythm guitar track with the drums, then I'll listen to it and the other rhyhtm guitar, bass and solos just follow easily on the spot. Then a few weeks later when I've got about 20 songs I'll pick out the best 10 and re-record them and maybe change a few things and I'll come up with a vocal melody and fill in the words and then put them on a cd
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: