Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  baseball
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: baseball  (Read 29521 times)
axlrose_7
Headliner

I Rock

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2005, 01:54:11 PM »

And Ozzie Guillen gotta be the coolest manager ever.

Nuff said.

My words may disturb but at least there's a reaction
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2005, 08:31:12 PM »

Braves-- they're always there.  They deserve it.  Then they get KO'ed quickly.  They deserve that too.

What's the old saying?: "When the leaves turn gold, the Braves will fold."  Undecided

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2005, 12:44:21 AM »

Without the Indians choking in the last week, it's highly doubtful the White Sox are here.  Once again, for about the fifth time in the last 20 years, you're welcome Chicago.

And don't get me started on every single lucky call in the book going their way.  The phantom dropped strike.  Botched calls in ALCS game 3.  The "hit by pitch" that hit the bat.  Berkman's strike zone magically gaining about 3 inches each way.  The roof.

This is just one more reason why I find myself watching less and less baseball every year.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2005, 11:03:09 PM »

Did the Astros really bother to show up?

Hats off to the sox for winning though I prefer mine red.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2005, 11:27:28 PM »

Without the Indians choking?  The White Sox won their last 5 regular season games.  Whether they choked or not the Sox still would've gotten in.  They won 16 of their last 17 games including the playoffs.  They were the best team in baseball, and now they're the world champs.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2005, 12:01:49 PM »

Without the Indians choking?  The White Sox won their last 5 regular season games.

And 3 of them were against the Indians.  All the Indians had to do was sweep TB, and take KC in their last game there, and take maybe 1 out of 3 from the White Sox and the Sox are gone.

4 games against last place teams, 3 vs. the Sox.  One win.  If that's not a choke job, I don't know what is.

19-8 in August.  18-4 in September going into the final week, including taking 2 out of 3 from the White Sox IN CHICAGO.

Then 1-6 the final week, dropping 2 out of 3 to TAMPA BAY and getting swept by Chicago IN CLEVELAND.  Home Field for the last 6 games, and what do they get?  They go out and shit the bed against Scott Kazmir, Seth McClung, and a half-assed Sox lineup.

The White Sox were 28-28 from August 1 going into the series against the Tribe.  They tried to hand the division to them on a silver platter, but the Indians walked past it, stepped in the dogshit, and slid face first into the fence.

Congrats Chicago.  You've fucked up this Cleveland fan's psyche for yet another year.

More choke evidence?  Read this one...

Hard to deny choke job by Indians
by Ron Musselman
Toledo Blade

CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Indians issued a self-imposed gag order after choking away their season yesterday.

Not even the Heimlich maneuver could have saved this team, and kept it from suffocating in its own 11th-hour futility.

Despite the Tribe's sizzling second half, the Wigwamers went out with barely a whimper.

The Indians were 1-6 over their final seven games, including yesterday's 3-1 setback to the Chicago White Sox at Jacobs Field.

Call it a collapse.

Call it a choke job.

Call it whatever you want.

Very few will remember that the Indians won 93 games in the regular season, or that they experienced a 13-game improvement over a year ago.

All the fans will remember is the team's free-fall at the end.

Don't forget, Cleveland had a 1 1/2-game lead in the American League wild-card race and trailed the stumbling White Sox by 1 1/2 games in the Central Division chase.

The Indians seemed like a virtual lock to make the playoffs.

But over the final week, they got thrown under the bus and served as road kill.

"I don't think there was too much pressure, we just didn't play well at the end," manager Eric Wedge said. "A lot of it had to do with the opposition."

Ah, really?

Let's see, the Indians went 0-1 against the last-place Kansas City Royals after Grady Sizemore lost a ninth-inning fly ball in the Missouri sun on a Sunday afternoon, 1-2 against the last-place Tampa Bay Devil Rays at home, and 0-3 against a watered-down White Sox team that already had wrapped up the division title before coming to town and had absolutely nothing at stake.

That qualifies as a major meltdown any way you look at it.

The Indians spit the bit.

They looked more like a church league softball team than a major league team chasing a playoff spot.

They delivered very few clutch hits in the final seven games, as evidenced by their .125 batting average (7-for-56) with runners in scoring position.

The only clutching the Indians did was to their own throats.

"We don't want to feel like this again at the end of next year," pitcher C.C. Sabathia said. "It's not a good feeling."

It might not be the collapse of the century, but it's not very far off, and this is a young century.

It ranks right up there with some of the greatest choke jobs ever.

The 1964 Philadelphia Phillies led the National League by 6 1/2 games with 12 to play, and buckled down the stretch.

So did Jean Van de Velde at the 1999 British Open, and Greg Norman at the 1996 Masters.

The only ones who had a worse week than the Indians were the fans in this cursed city, who haven't celebrated a major championship of any kind since 1964, or a World Series title since 1948.

"We played so well for so long, you knew we were bound to hit a tough stretch," Sabathia said. "Unfortunately, for us, it happened the last week. I know a lot of people around here are sad, but we've still got a lot to be happy about this season."

Even so, it's going to take months, or perhaps years, before the Indians are fully resuscitated from their latest thrust to the throat.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 12:09:55 PM by Duffman23235 » Logged

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2005, 01:56:14 AM »

Duffman, you're being way too hard on your team.  Nobody thought they'd even be contenders this year.  The consensus was they were still a couple years away.  They're an excellent young team that looks like they're going to be good for a long time.  They did stumble badly to close out the season, but this is the first time they've been anywhere close to the playoffs in a few years.  And don't forget they were one of the best teams in baseball for a couple months there.  If I was a Cleveland fan I'd definitely look at the 2005 season as a big step in the right direction.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2005, 07:34:40 AM »

I got my tickets for the finals in San Diego. Its a good thing I was planning on going to all 3 games there because thats what they force you to buy. You cant buy tickets for just one game. Have to purchase the 3 pack. It doesnt faze me but it sucks for someone who might not want to plop down 90 bucks or so for a halfway decent seat.

Petco Field is actually a nice park, so it should be a good setting, plus there is alot to do around the stadium before and after.

Anybody else going to any of the rounds?

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2005, 11:50:40 AM »

I find Johnny Damon going to the Yankees quite funny!  hihi

Why don't you just....
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2005, 01:44:01 PM »

Im a hardcore Blue Jays fan and im excited cause for the first time since 93 we have stepped up to get the players we need to compete and I believe next year we can do one better then compete.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2005, 02:32:37 PM »

Toronto is looking pretty good right now. If Boston isnt careful, they can be looking at a 3rd place finish in that division. I've been watching A.J. Burnett down here for the past 4 seasons or so and if he can stay healthy he will be a huge plus in what is already a strong starting staff.

The A.L. East is going to be fun to watch this year.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2005, 05:57:20 PM »

The Red Sox might be the biggest losers this offseason.  They lost Damon to the Yankees of all teams, Manny wants out, and Epstein left.  They better hope Curt Schilling comes back strong this year, or they probably will finish 3rd.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2005, 06:02:07 PM »

The Red Sox might be the biggest losers this offseason.?

Actually that is the only title the Marlins will win this year

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2005, 06:05:24 PM »

Yeah, how could I forget.  They went from contender to possibly worse than the Royals.  Of course they did this after the '97 championship too, so they should be back near the top in a few years.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2006, 12:53:55 AM »

Dodgers all the way!!!  Hometown team, of course.  But all you GN'R fans gotta have a place for the Blue Crew, thr whole WTTJ thing when Gagne comes in.  The whole team is close to receiving social security, but at least Depo's gone.
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2006, 10:48:11 AM »

The Dodgers have made alot of nice moves this off-season. Picking up Baez from Tampa was a great move. I'm pissed the Mets didnt move on him.

San Diego has made alot of moves but I dont know if its helped them any. S.F just got a year older. Looks like the Dodgers division to lose this year.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2006, 09:47:13 PM »

The only weak spot in the Dodgers is their starting rotation.  they have NOBODY, and i mean, NOBODY!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2006, 04:10:12 AM »

The only weak spot in the Dodgers is their starting rotation.? they have NOBODY, and i mean, NOBODY!

Yeah, but in that ballpark you don't need to be an excellent pitcher to have a good year.  Guys who've sucked in other places have gone there and all of a sudden their career goes back on the upswing (Jeff Weaver).

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2006, 02:38:09 PM »

Our owner Frank McBankrupt changed things in the stadium.  Remember all that foul territory that was in play? GONE.  he out in high priced seats to crawl out of debt.  That's why pitching doesn't matter anymore because foul balls go into the stands where someone payed 80 bucks for those crappy seats.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2006, 11:06:06 PM »

What are people's views on Barry Bonds around here?  I personally think he's one of the all-time greats.  However, I can't stand him as a person.  His numbers are definitely inflated by steroids and whatnot, but so are many of his contemporaries'.  I do hope he retires before he breaks Aaron's record.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: