Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227834 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 184546 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 02:28:15 AM »

Yeah i definitely won't mind missing facing him several times a year.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2008, 02:28:50 AM »

I challenge all u guys to a fantasy baseball league

I finish top 3 in every league I've ever been in just about that I drafted the team.

So what do u guys say?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2008, 06:12:11 AM »

I challenge all u guys to a fantasy baseball league

I finish top 3 in every league I've ever been in just about that I drafted the team.

So what do u guys say?

BRING IT !    ok

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2008, 06:14:35 AM »

I'm actually glad he went to the fucking Mets. I'm a Yankee fan, but I didn't want to give up Hughes, I did'nt want him in Boston and I think the Twins are glad he's out of the league. Anyways, even though I hate the Mets, I think baseball is
better (especially here in NY) when they are good.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2008, 08:26:59 AM »

Looks like the Mets will be getting Johan Santana, pending an agreement on a contract extension.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2008/01/29/2008-01-29_mets_land_johan_santana_in_deal_for_four-1.html

I'm actually VERY happy about the deal.  First up, the Yanks won't really have to worry about facing him unless they're in the WS (and during a couple of interleague games, maybe).  Second, the Mets are my 2nd favorite team...obviously my favorite NL team.  Santana will probably eat the lighter hitting NL alive!  I wonder how bad he'll be with a bat, though.

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »

Looks like the Mets will be getting Johan Santana, pending an agreement on a contract extension.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2008/01/29/2008-01-29_mets_land_johan_santana_in_deal_for_four-1.html

I'm actually VERY happy about the deal.  First up, the Yanks won't really have to worry about facing him unless they're in the WS (and during a couple of interleague games, maybe).  Second, the Mets are my 2nd favorite team...obviously my favorite NL team.  Santana will probably eat the lighter hitting NL alive!  I wonder how bad he'll be with a bat, though.

Smiley

Huh?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »

Huh?

Yanks are my favorite baseball team.

Mets are next, and since they're in the NL, I basically route for them until I can't any more (in other words, when they're facing the Yanks).

I know...LOTS of animosity between Yanks and Mets fans.  Not me, though. 

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2008, 01:07:31 AM »

I'm glad he's out of the league and glad the yankees are sticking with home grown talent for once. Now lets see what these kids can do!
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »

I'm glad he's out of the league and glad the yankees are sticking with home grown talent for once. Now lets see what these kids can do!

Good chance that the kids can work out long-term for the Yanks, but as far as next season goes, you still feel good going into the playoffs with Wang as your #1?

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »

Good chance that the kids can work out long-term for the Yanks, but as far as next season goes, you still feel good going into the playoffs with Wang as your #1?

Don't count out the fact that Hughes or Chamberlain can dominate this year. Wang is a solid #2, but these kids have the makings of an ace and it may be quicker than some think.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2008, 11:58:30 AM »

Don't count out the fact that Hughes or Chamberlain can dominate this year. Wang is a solid #2, but these kids have the makings of an ace and it may be quicker than some think.

Anything's possible, but off the top of my head I can't remember the last time a 1st or 2nd year pitcher became a dominant ace for a playoff team.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »

Anything's possible, but off the top of my head I can't remember the last time a 1st or 2nd year pitcher became a dominant ace for a playoff team.

Yeah, I hear that.  It will be fun to watch, that's for sure.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »

I can't, for the life of me, think of the last rookie pitcher who went scoreless as long as Chamberlain did. I can't think of the last rookie who came out of the pen to dominate.  I guess Pappelbon, but even he didn't dominate...statistically speaking...like Chamberlain did.

It's not typical.  It doesn't happen often.  I'll grant you all that.  But I wouldn't discount it, as a very real possibility, for the upcoming season.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2008, 08:02:22 PM »

I can't, for the life of me, think of the last rookie pitcher who went scoreless as long as Chamberlain did. I can't think of the last rookie who came out of the pen to dominate.  I guess Pappelbon, but even he didn't dominate...statistically speaking...like Chamberlain did.

It's not typical.  It doesn't happen often.  I'll grant you all that.  But I wouldn't discount it, as a very real possibility, for the upcoming season.
Now Joba has his try as a starter though.  Little different then pitching out of the pen.  Not saying he's not gonna be effective, BUT Papelbon as a starter was good for about 4 innings or so.  After 2 times through the lineup, adjustments were made and he was a little less effective.  Working out of the pen in the late innings you typically only have to face guys once and you go right at them, only using 2 or 3 pitches tops.  You need a lot more in the arsenal as a starter.  Again, not to say Joba can't do it, but I certainly wouldn't expect him to have a sub 1.00 ERA as a starter.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2008, 09:25:10 PM »

Now Joba has his try as a starter though.  Little different then pitching out of the pen.  Not saying he's not gonna be effective, BUT Papelbon as a starter was good for about 4 innings or so.  After 2 times through the lineup, adjustments were made and he was a little less effective.  Working out of the pen in the late innings you typically only have to face guys once and you go right at them, only using 2 or 3 pitches tops.  You need a lot more in the arsenal as a starter.  Again, not to say Joba can't do it, but I certainly wouldn't expect him to have a sub 1.00 ERA as a starter.

Was Pappelbon a starter prior to getting to the majors? I think Joba will be fine he was always a starter until very late last year and has 4 very good pitches. Hopefully he readjusts just fine to starting and adjusts to starting in the majors ok.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »

I actually think Hughes is going to be the one who turns into the #1 starter, because Joba's 100mph fastball looks good
for an inning or so, but after 5 or 6 innings, then it may not be so unhittable.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2008, 11:01:11 PM »

Was Pappelbon a starter prior to getting to the majors? I think Joba will be fine he was always a starter until very late last year and has 4 very good pitches. Hopefully he readjusts just fine to starting and adjusts to starting in the majors ok.
Yeah Papelbon was being groomed to be a starter in the majors.  His first time up with the Sox they used him to spot start a few games.  He was good for about 4 innings then ran out of steam and/or the lineups made adjustments.  They used him as a setup man towards the end of 2005 and was impressive in that role.  Injuries to Keith Foulke, and ineffectiveness, led to him taking the role as closer in 2006.  Then he was supposed to become a starter last year but in spring training expressed his desire to remain closer. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »

I actually think Hughes is going to be the one who turns into the #1 starter, because Joba's 100mph fastball looks good
for an inning or so, but after 5 or 6 innings, then it may not be so unhittable.

Joba also has that great slider too though and a good curve. He won't have to rely solely on the fastball.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »

For MOST guys with 100 mph fast ball, I'd agree.

With Joba...not so much.

Because he has a VERY effective change, an excellent slider, and a good curveball (which he almost NEVER threw in relief).

You change speeds and locations like that, and suddenly that 100 mph fast ball is STILL nasty into the 6th and 7th inning.

We'll see.  My personal opinion is they should leave him in the pen, and groom him to be the next Mariano Rivera.  But it sounds like the organization has their mind made up about eventually working him into the rotation.

The news coming out of the Yanks clubhouse is he's at least going to START the season in the pen.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2008, 07:32:05 PM »

For MOST guys with 100 mph fast ball, I'd agree.

With Joba...not so much.

Because he has a VERY effective change, an excellent slider, and a good curveball (which he almost NEVER threw in relief).

You change speeds and locations like that, and suddenly that 100 mph fast ball is STILL nasty into the 6th and 7th inning.

We'll see.  My personal opinion is they should leave him in the pen, and groom him to be the next Mariano Rivera.  But it sounds like the organization has their mind made up about eventually working him into the rotation.

The news coming out of the Yanks clubhouse is he's at least going to START the season in the pen.
Yeah I'd have to agree about leaving him in the pen.  Although I must admit I was pushing for the Sox to use Papelbon as a starter going into last season.  I thought we could settle with Keith Foulke or get someone to slide into that role.  Boy was I wrong.  They signed Joel Piniero to be the closer last season, luckily that never happened and he wasn't on the team by years end.  Paplebon proved to me how important it is to have a dominant guy at the end of games.  It helps that the Sox had enough starters to go around.  But as dominant as Joba was last year setting up for Rivera and knowing that Mariano can't pitch forever, you'd have to think that he would be a perfect replacement for Rivera.  Trust me, having Chase Wright start and Joba close would be far better than Joba starting and Joel Piniero close.  You can piece together innings to get to the closer, but once it's in his hands, that's it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: