Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:27:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The 2010/2011 NBA Season Thread
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 2010/2011 NBA Season Thread  (Read 103236 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #480 on: July 01, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »

What can you guys tell me about the player from Greec the Knicks picked?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #481 on: July 03, 2012, 12:42:20 AM »

What can you guys tell me about the player from Greec the Knicks picked?
I don't know much at all about the guy, but from the little I've read it sounds like he maybe ONE of the European players drafted this year that actually can play in the NBA and have somewhat of an impact.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kostas-papanikolaou

NBA Comparison: Bostjan Nachbar

Strengths: Competitive lefty small forward with nice three point shot ... What he lacks in agility/fluidity, he makes up for in determination ... Aggressive defender that will block shots ... Has really long arms, which helps him in rebounding and defending/deflecting ... Very good mechanics on his shot and can shoot with range and consistency ... Strong basketball IQ/feel for the game ... Player with a high level of intensity/motor ... Hard working kid. Confident. Very strong mentally, a true competitor ... Shows leadership ability, encouraging teammates and pushing them ... Will surprise with highlight reel dunks. A deceptive athlete that can explode on the rim if defenders get caught napping ... Despite lacking great foot speed, utilizes the dribble drive well with excellent handles and finishing ability ...

Weaknesses: Average athlete for the NBA. Lacks fluidity, start/stop... Slow footed, particularly laterally will make defending athletic NBA wings a challenge for him ... First step is average making it easier for defenders to crowd him ... Greek players have historically had a very difficult time adjusting to playing and living in the US, and for that matter the rest of Europe, so that is another factor that could diminish Papanikolaou's stock some ...

Overall: Thanks to his two years of experience playing at a high level in the Euroleague with Olympiacos, Papanikolaou has improved his intangibles a lot. Two years ago he was only known as a formidable shooter needing huge improvement, and now, even if it is not his main ability, he can defend against the best small forwards in Europe, can grab key rebounds and help his team in many ways ... A legitimate factor for a Final Four team (Olympiacos) at just 21 years of age ... Thanks to his shooting ability, he reminds some of Greek player Antonis Fotsis, who played for Memphis Grizzlies in 2001-2002 NBA season ... Greek players often get stereotyped for being too laid back, but that's not the case with Papanikolaou ... He may never be the star who scores lots of points as he was in junior competitions, but has become a good supporting player who can have a nice impact in the NBA.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #482 on: July 03, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »

Looks like he's got a good upside. Hopefully he can improve on some of his weaknesses.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #483 on: July 03, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »

MIAMI -- Free-agent guard Ray Allen will visit the NBA champion Miami Heat on Thursday, league sources confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Allen, one of Miami's top offseason targets, will also meet with the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday, the sources said.

NBA.com and The Associated Press had earlier reported Allen's planned visits.

Miami can offer Allen, who turns 37 this month and has spent the past five seasons with the Boston Celtics, only the mini mid-level exception, worth just over $3 million a year, while Boston is positioned to offer a two-year, $12 million contract, sources have told ESPN.com.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers talked to Allen on Sunday and called it a "stretch" that the NBA's all-time leading 3-point shooter will play elsewhere next season.

When asked about his status in a radio interview with "The Dan Patrick Show" on Tuesday, Rivers sounded much less confident.

"I don't know," Rivers said. "We're working hard. He has a lot of options and that's the bad news for us. It'll be interesting. I wish I had a feel on it. Usually I do. But I can tell you in this one I don't."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8125543/2012-nba-free-agency-ray-allen-reportedly-visit-miami-heat-thursday

The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly still trying to get Dwight Howard and are prepared to offer Metta World Peace and Andrew Bynum to the Orlando Magic, tweeted Jarrod Rudolph of IamaGm.com.

Rudolph also reported the Magic want to include Jason Richardson in any deal for Howard. Chris Broussard of ESPN also said via Twitter that the Magic and Lakers are in talks to bring Howard to Los Angeles, but wouldn?t confirm which players were specifically in play. Broussard said the Atlanta Hawks, who recently sent Joe Johnson to the Brooklyn Nets, are also trying to trade for Howard.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/03/dwight-howard-los-angeles-lakers-bynum-nba/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:34:21 PM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #484 on: July 10, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »

So this whole Ray Allen situation has been the talk of Boston sports radio recently.  Can I just say, sometimes I despise the Boston sports media and fan.  And this is one of those cases.  See pilferk recently came down on the Red Sox organization for their (mis)handling of the Youkilis situation.  Sometimes these things are amplified by the media market, which is sensationalistic and tabloid-like.  That's why I didn't think the organization was at fault, or at least, not as much as they were portrayed to be.

Back to the topic at hand.  The media, and LOTS of fans are vilifying Ray for bolting town and joining the Heat.  Now, I will openly admit that I am biased.  I've followed Ray Allen, as a UConn fan, since his college days.  It was a dream come true for me when he joined the Celtics and helped them win a championship.  Probably my favorite basketball player of all time, though he never could reach a final 4 while at UConn despite being on some loaded teams.  Anyhow, I completely side with Ray in this case and can't fathom fans, and media alike being so quick to turn on him.  It's a business.  How many times does stuff like this have to happen for people to realize that?  Ray Allen made a GREAT business decision for himself.  He just signed with the best team in the NBA.  Last season guys like Mike Miller, Shane Battier, and Mario Chalmers had the pleasure of knocking down open 3's with Lebron and D-Wade on the floor.  I can only imagine how much Ray will flourish in that scenario. 

Ray will probably even play more minutes with the Heat than he would have with the Celtics.  He had already lost his starting job to Avery Bradley, which I can understand not being to happy about.  I mean, what exactly has Avery Bradley proved?  He had one good month?  Not that I don't think he should be the starter, because I do.  But I can understand Ray believing he should not have lost his job.  And the Celtics went out and signed Jason Terry, who is a pretty comparable player to Ray.  So there's the chance Ray could've been the 3rd string SG, though they don't really stick to the traditional positions as much in today's "small ball" NBA. 

Fact is the Celtics figured they had Ray right where they wanted him and didn't need to do much of anything for him to come crawling back on his hands and knees.  After all, they could, and did, offer him twice the amount of money than the Heat.  Who's going to pass that up right?  I mean, who wants to take less money for a better chance at a championship?  Oh I know, just about every FA that signs with the Patriots.  When they sign on to play with Tom Brady it's unselfish, but when they do it to LEAVE Boston it's sacrilege.  Give me a break! 

It's no secret the Celtics have been trying to trade Ray the past 3 seasons and even had a deal in place this past season for OJ Mayo.  I can see how one would get fed up with all the trade rumors.  Especially someone who is a sure fire first ballot hall of famer who still has a lot to offer.  The Celtics toyed with Ray the entire process, taking for granted he had no other viable options.  Only thing is, we ALL saw this coming.  So I don't know why it's such a shock.  Even when the Celtics were playing the Heat in the playoffs people were speculating that it was pretty much a sure thing that Ray would be on the opposite side next season.  But NOW it's a shock?

Stop listening to the media telling us we should be mad at Ray and boo him when he returns to Boston.  He's done nothing wrong in this scenario and I honestly can't wait for him to return to the Garden and drain 9 three's and 40 points next season.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #485 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »

Don't forget Ray supposedly felt continuing to play with Rondo was absolutely unbearable.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #486 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:18 AM »

So this whole Ray Allen situation has been the talk of Boston sports radio recently.  Can I just say, sometimes I despise the Boston sports media and fan.  And this is one of those cases.  See pilferk recently came down on the Red Sox organization for their (mis)handling of the Youkilis situation.  Sometimes these things are amplified by the media market, which is sensationalistic and tabloid-like.  That's why I didn't think the organization was at fault, or at least, not as much as they were portrayed to be.

Back to the topic at hand.  The media, and LOTS of fans are vilifying Ray for bolting town and joining the Heat.  Now, I will openly admit that I am biased.  I've followed Ray Allen, as a UConn fan, since his college days.  It was a dream come true for me when he joined the Celtics and helped them win a championship.  Probably my favorite basketball player of all time, though he never could reach a final 4 while at UConn despite being on some loaded teams.  Anyhow, I completely side with Ray in this case and can't fathom fans, and media alike being so quick to turn on him.  It's a business.  How many times does stuff like this have to happen for people to realize that?  Ray Allen made a GREAT business decision for himself.  He just signed with the best team in the NBA.  Last season guys like Mike Miller, Shane Battier, and Mario Chalmers had the pleasure of knocking down open 3's with Lebron and D-Wade on the floor.  I can only imagine how much Ray will flourish in that scenario. 

Ray will probably even play more minutes with the Heat than he would have with the Celtics.  He had already lost his starting job to Avery Bradley, which I can understand not being to happy about.  I mean, what exactly has Avery Bradley proved?  He had one good month?  Not that I don't think he should be the starter, because I do.  But I can understand Ray believing he should not have lost his job.  And the Celtics went out and signed Jason Terry, who is a pretty comparable player to Ray.  So there's the chance Ray could've been the 3rd string SG, though they don't really stick to the traditional positions as much in today's "small ball" NBA. 

Fact is the Celtics figured they had Ray right where they wanted him and didn't need to do much of anything for him to come crawling back on his hands and knees.  After all, they could, and did, offer him twice the amount of money than the Heat.  Who's going to pass that up right?  I mean, who wants to take less money for a better chance at a championship?  Oh I know, just about every FA that signs with the Patriots.  When they sign on to play with Tom Brady it's unselfish, but when they do it to LEAVE Boston it's sacrilege.  Give me a break! 

It's no secret the Celtics have been trying to trade Ray the past 3 seasons and even had a deal in place this past season for OJ Mayo.  I can see how one would get fed up with all the trade rumors.  Especially someone who is a sure fire first ballot hall of famer who still has a lot to offer.  The Celtics toyed with Ray the entire process, taking for granted he had no other viable options.  Only thing is, we ALL saw this coming.  So I don't know why it's such a shock.  Even when the Celtics were playing the Heat in the playoffs people were speculating that it was pretty much a sure thing that Ray would be on the opposite side next season.  But NOW it's a shock?

Stop listening to the media telling us we should be mad at Ray and boo him when he returns to Boston.  He's done nothing wrong in this scenario and I honestly can't wait for him to return to the Garden and drain 9 three's and 40 points next season.

I think you're putting too much stock into what people calling into WEEI and such have to say. They are a minute percentage of the Boston fan base.
I always wondered about people who wait on hold for hours to talk to a total stranger and offer their expert sports opinion. Is there nothing else going on in their lives?
Do they not know anyone personally they could talk to about it? Posting on a forum is one thing, I could certainly find something more productive to be doing, but to wait on hold for hours, just to be able to have an argument with a total stranger and probably blown up is something I could never imagine having an interest in doing. Maybe they just like to hear themselves talk?

Anyways, Boston media hasn't crucified Ray at all from what I have read. Most of the articles on boston.com and EEI are about how much Ray meant to the Celtics.

Did I want Ray back? Yea, I did.
Do I think he has some basketball left? Yeah.
3 years worth? Not so sure.

Miami is a great opportunity for him over the long haul, but I don't see it as the slam dunk for the immediate future.
If Celtics were healthy last year, they are no question the better team, and that series is over in 5 games if Bradley is on the floor.
Will they ever be healthy again? Who knows. It's a crapshoot.

If Ray was really that upset about being involved in trade talks, he has the right, but he's delusional to think there's a team in the NBA that truly wouldn't explore that option for every player not named Durant or Lebron. It's Ainge's job to explore all possibilities, and it's a compliment that other teams feel he is worth giving something up to aquire him. Does he forget how he got here in the first place?

I have no problem with Ray leaving. Wish he hadn't gone to the Heat, but don't hold it against him.

It was a pleasure watching him while he was here, that's for sure, but it's not the end all be all that he's gone. For all the good he has done, he has really faded when it counts over the past few seasons. He has been anything but reliable in the postseason, and at his age, I don't expect a major turnaround. Maybe since he won't have to work as hard in Miami's offense his legs will hold up better.. Of the big 3 or 4, he is the one we may be able to get by w/o.
If KG doesn't come back? May as well blow it up. Same with Rondo, and even though PP's best days are far behind him, he's still the only Celtic on the floor who can create his own shot.
Not gonna find a pure shooter as good as Ray, but there are options available. Maybe someone younger whos legs will be under him come playoff time.

Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray.
Time to move on.

Hoping the C's can swing something for Lee.
I like the Terry signing for the immediate future, anyways. Not in love w/3 years.
Hopefully Bradley's recovery goes smoothly.
Not sure how I feel about the money they gave Green, but hopefully he lives up to it. Hasn't shown us anything that would suggest he will.
Need him to be effective and save PP's legs. Sullinger and Melo seem like solid picks so far.

If healthy, C's should be very competitive in the East, and a real pain in Miami's ass, w/Ray or not.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:07:17 PM by LongGoneDay » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #487 on: July 11, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »

I think you're putting too much stock into what people calling into WEEI and such have to say. They are a minute percentage of the Boston fan base.
I always wondered about people who wait on hold for hours to talk to a total stranger and offer their expert sports opinion. Is there nothing else going on in their lives?
Do they not know anyone personally they could talk to about it? Posting on a forum is one thing, I could certainly find something more productive to be doing, but to wait on hold for hours, just to be able to have an argument with a total stranger and probably blown up is something I could never imagine having an interest in doing. Maybe they just like to hear themselves talk?

Anyways, Boston media hasn't crucified Ray at all from what I have read. Most of the articles on boston.com and EEI are about how much Ray meant to the Celtics.

Did I want Ray back? Yea, I did.
Do I think he has some basketball left? Yeah.
3 years worth? Not so sure.

Miami is a great opportunity for him over the long haul, but I don't see it as the slam dunk for the immediate future.
If Celtics were healthy last year, they are no question the better team, and that series is over in 5 games if Bradley is on the floor.
Will they ever be healthy again? Who knows. It's a crapshoot.

If Ray was really that upset about being involved in trade talks, he has the right, but he's delusional to think there's a team in the NBA that truly wouldn't explore that option for every player not named Durant or Lebron. It's Ainge's job to explore all possibilities, and it's a compliment that other teams feel he is worth giving something up to aquire him. Does he forget how he got here in the first place?

I have no problem with Ray leaving. Wish he hadn't gone to the Heat, but don't hold it against him.

It was a pleasure watching him while he was here, that's for sure, but it's not the end all be all that he's gone. For all the good he has done, he has really faded when it counts over the past few seasons. He has been anything but reliable in the postseason, and at his age, I don't expect a major turnaround. Maybe since he won't have to work as hard in Miami's offense his legs will hold up better.. Of the big 3 or 4, he is the one we may be able to get by w/o.
If KG doesn't come back? May as well blow it up. Same with Rondo, and even though PP's best days are far behind him, he's still the only Celtic on the floor who can create his own shot.
Not gonna find a pure shooter as good as Ray, but there are options available. Maybe someone younger whos legs will be under him come playoff time.

Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray.
Time to move on.

Hoping the C's can swing something for Lee.
I like the Terry signing for the immediate future, anyways. Not in love w/3 years.
Hopefully Bradley's recovery goes smoothly.
Not sure how I feel about the money they gave Green, but hopefully he lives up to it. Hasn't shown us anything that would suggest he will.
Need him to be effective and save PP's legs. Sullinger and Melo seem like solid picks so far.

If healthy, C's should be very competitive in the East, and a real pain in Miami's ass, w/Ray or not.

I'm not solely talking about sports radio callers on WEEI or the Sports Hub.  The "personalities" on those stations seem to be against Ray's decision for the most part.  Same with the crew on CSNNE.  And I've read many a negative comment on twitter, Celitcs blogs, etc.  So I'm not limiting it to just EEI callers, though they are probably among the worst contributors.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #488 on: July 12, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »

Looks like Dwight Howard won't be headed to Brooklyn anytime soon.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #489 on: July 12, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »

Looks like Dwight Howard won't be headed to Brooklyn anytime soon.

Glad the baby didn't get his bottle. Not yet, anyways.

He's worse than Lebron.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #490 on: July 16, 2012, 07:26:35 AM »

The Knicks might lose Jeremy Lin: http://csnne.stats.com/nba/story.asp?i=20120715133213029302008&ref=hea&tm=&src=

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #491 on: July 23, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »

Strong offseason for Ainge and the C's!

Really liking the signing of Lee, and gotta give credit to Ainge and Doc for pulling it off.
As much as I loved watching Ray Ray(one of my all time favs before becoming a C), at this stage of his career, I'd trade him for Terry/Lee in a heartbeat.

The East hasn't done much to improve, and C's were a quarter away from the finals last year.
Ray will help the Heat. Lewis has been irrelevant for years, but not a bad gamble for the $.
Nets will be better, but haven't done enough to contend yet.
Knicks are still the Knicks, and maybe took a step back.

Seeing Nash in LA will be interesting. Totally different offense than he's used to, but he's probably too good of a player to not make it work.
Nash and Jamison certainly aren't going to help solve their problems on defense, though.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #492 on: July 23, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »

They should have at least matched Houston's offer and then worked on trading him if the 3rd year of the contract was such a problem.  Giving him up for nothing was ridiculous. 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #493 on: July 23, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »

They should have at least matched Houston's offer and then worked on trading him if the 3rd year of the contract was such a problem.  Giving him up for nothing was ridiculous. 

Definitely. Howard-Bynum swap rumors are still going strong, but I think LA is crazy to take that headcase on.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #494 on: July 27, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »

Since the Knicks declined to match the Rockets offer sheet, letting Lin go to Houston, Madison Square Garden stock has dropped $93 million, according to CNBC sports business reporter Darren Rovell.

The rise and fall of MSG's stock has closely followed the rise and fall of Linsanity.

When Lin made his first start for the Knicks Feb. 6, MSG shares traded at $29.49. On July 5, the stock had risen more than 30 percent up to $38.80. Since then, as reports that Lin might leave the Knicks increased, shares have dropped to $35.50, an 8.5 percent fall.

http://www.turnto23.com/sports/31292404/detail.html

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #495 on: August 16, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »

Well the baby got his bottle, crippled his former franchise, and solved LA's defensive issues.
Certainly puts LA in contention, but not crowing them yet. That's a lot of egos that will have to mesh to make it work.
Still give the nod to OKC. Helps too that my man, Perk plays Howard as well as anyone.

Can't wait to see the new look C's. If healthy, it's the first time they've had production from the bench in years.

On paper, Heat didn't get much better, C's did.

Bynum could be a real pain in the ass for years to come in the East, if motivated.
C's don't have an answer for him.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: