Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  writing fast, kick ass songs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: writing fast, kick ass songs  (Read 2962 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: November 28, 2004, 09:13:01 PM »

if any of u have heard my stuff, im more of a mid temp to ballad type songwriter but i have a rockin, fast edge that im tryin to get out.

i played in rock,metal bands in high school and always enjoyed that style but somewhere along the way i got caught up in tryin to write "the perfect" love song and got away from the faster, rockin side of my personality.

i have wrote some quality riffs but i am struggling lyrically and soloing wise.

any pointers on fast lyrics and what a solo should be in a fast song?

on my slower songs i take pride in my slash inspired melodic,emotional solo's but ive never really tried soloin all that much to fast songs, so any advice from you great rock guitarist on the board???

also what do u think makes up a good fast song?

like the basic formula for a good rock song? how many riffs, which riffs u sing over? i sound like a total amateur here i know that but i feel i have some very kick ass slow and midtempo songs, and if i just write 3 or 4 rockin songs my cd could really be something special.

so any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 01:06:32 AM »

hmmmmm fast songs.

typical would be some sorta slow lead intro, or a drum intro or hell just break right into the riff. slow feedback buildup is always good.

then main riff, loop for however long with drum bass second guitar entering to make massive sound each time through.

once played like twice with full band either:

a) play the same riff with more palm muting or only certain parts of it. leaving tonnes of room for vocals. leaving out the middle of the riff with pm's then ending it at full volume is always good so you sorta get a call and response from vocals and guitar.

b)think of a completely different riff for the verse, again keep it so theres room for vocals.

then either

a)go to a chorus with a different riff

b) if you used a different riff for the verse revert back to the intro riff for the chorus. balls to the wall.

then do that a couple of times, then have a slow part, the chorus chords arpeggio'd with some delay at half time is always good.

then break back into normal speed with a blistering run up the neck. i recommend running up e minor pentatonic. start it at 3rd fret 6th string then hammer/pull off super happy combo your way all the way up to a 1st string 17th fret bend to B. do this for whatever key the song is in. after that just do some unison bends of the chorus chords, with little fills end with a nice bending vibrato.

next part of the solo is important, you wanna look at the chords of the chorus or whatever ur soling over and think.......hmmmmmmm how can i make some super happy super fast solo combo mania. you need to find somewhere (usually 1st 2nd 3rd string anywhere from 5th fretor whereever u want to start the run of craziness) all the notes that reside in the chords at certain points in time for the rhythm. try and find some super happy crazy solo boxes for each chord resulting in simply hammering and pulling off 3 notes (of the chord or the major scale of that chord). 1 string is fine or 2 strings. once you've found some boxes for each chord figure it out til you have ascending patterns til about oh i dunno the 22nd fret for a super orgasmic bend (even more orgasmic if you can break the string at this point for effect).

So as the chords are changing (just say theres 3 rhythm chords total) your ascending in a pattern that is still in key with each one but it is also getting higher with each chord change to the eruption of the rock n roll gods for that final bend. who cares about intonation just bend that til it breaks. ok

after the solo have a final verse with lead fills.

then have a final chorus

then an outro solo remember those boxes of notes you made, well don't ascend them just keep doing the same 3. then find next shit hot guitar player who can harmonize what your playing in 3rds. it'll sound brilliant.

and that sir, is a fast rock song to a tee.

ok

oh yeah and lyrics wise. for the verse lyrics don't have to be too important. hell they don't even have to make sense. they have to be rhythmic. try and use 1 syllable words in combination to get some frantic lyrics.

i'm a runnin  i'm a gunnin i'm a takin what's uh given what's uh given to meeeee (end of main riff for response)
i'm a lootin i'm a shootin i'm a shakin it up yeah shakin rock n roll machine " "

look at those lyrics, they all roll real fast, all real rhythmic. the audience doesn't care what the hell you're saying til they get your lyrics booklet anyway. look the example i made makes absolutley no sense........at all.....their cliche....its everything fast rock n roll song lyrics are meant to be. i didnt bother matching up the number of syllables but thats real important too. its all about the rhythm.

for the chorus everything changes, you want long vocal notes for example "woaaaaaaaaaaaah" okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" "yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

thats enough for today.

im all worn out ok rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 02:36:12 PM »

hmmmmm fast songs.

typical would be some sorta slow lead intro, or a drum intro or hell just break right into the riff. slow feedback buildup is always good.

then main riff, loop for however long with drum bass second guitar entering to make massive sound each time through.

once played like twice with full band either:

a) play the same riff with more palm muting or only certain parts of it. leaving tonnes of room for vocals. leaving out the middle of the riff with pm's then ending it at full volume is always good so you sorta get a call and response from vocals and guitar.

b)think of a completely different riff for the verse, again keep it so theres room for vocals.

then either

a)go to a chorus with a different riff

b) if you used a different riff for the verse revert back to the intro riff for the chorus. balls to the wall.

then do that a couple of times, then have a slow part, the chorus chords arpeggio'd with some delay at half time is always good.

then break back into normal speed with a blistering run up the neck. i recommend running up e minor pentatonic. start it at 3rd fret 6th string then hammer/pull off super happy combo your way all the way up to a 1st string 17th fret bend to B. do this for whatever key the song is in. after that just do some unison bends of the chorus chords, with little fills end with a nice bending vibrato.

next part of the solo is important, you wanna look at the chords of the chorus or whatever ur soling over and think.......hmmmmmmm how can i make some super happy super fast solo combo mania. you need to find somewhere (usually 1st 2nd 3rd string anywhere from 5th fretor whereever u want to start the run of craziness) all the notes that reside in the chords at certain points in time for the rhythm. try and find some super happy crazy solo boxes for each chord resulting in simply hammering and pulling off 3 notes (of the chord or the major scale of that chord). 1 string is fine or 2 strings. once you've found some boxes for each chord figure it out til you have ascending patterns til about oh i dunno the 22nd fret for a super orgasmic bend (even more orgasmic if you can break the string at this point for effect).

So as the chords are changing (just say theres 3 rhythm chords total) your ascending in a pattern that is still in key with each one but it is also getting higher with each chord change to the eruption of the rock n roll gods for that final bend. who cares about intonation just bend that til it breaks. ok

after the solo have a final verse with lead fills.

then have a final chorus

then an outro solo remember those boxes of notes you made, well don't ascend them just keep doing the same 3. then find next shit hot guitar player who can harmonize what your playing in 3rds. it'll sound brilliant.

and that sir, is a fast rock song to a tee.

ok

oh yeah and lyrics wise. for the verse lyrics don't have to be too important. hell they don't even have to make sense. they have to be rhythmic. try and use 1 syllable words in combination to get some frantic lyrics.

i'm a runnin? i'm a gunnin i'm a takin what's uh given what's uh given to meeeee (end of main riff for response)
i'm a lootin i'm a shootin i'm a shakin it up yeah shakin rock n roll machine " "

look at those lyrics, they all roll real fast, all real rhythmic. the audience doesn't care what the hell you're saying til they get your lyrics booklet anyway. look the example i made makes absolutley no sense........at all.....their cliche....its everything fast rock n roll song lyrics are meant to be. i didnt bother matching up the number of syllables but thats real important too. its all about the rhythm.

for the chorus everything changes, you want long vocal notes for example "woaaaaaaaaaaaah" okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" "yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

thats enough for today.

im all worn out ok rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

To make it myself easy, I agree with Oddy!? Grin

btw D,

Welcome to Reality, is a really interesting song. Very interesting style of guitar solo's you've got.

Death Of Me, I dunno what's that sound on the background? the 'snow'?? But it's not my personal favorite.

I Wish You Knew is a decent song.

GREAT vibe on 'One Foot In The Grave' (very good lyrics and strong emotion)

Scarlett, I like the beginning of the song. The thing with the drums and the warm sounding guitar.

Welcome To Reality and especially One Foot In The Grave are the best in my opinion. Nice emotional thing going on there.
At some points in the songs I get the impression that your vocals aren't quite there yet. But if you keep singing you will get it perfect for sure
 Smiley

« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 02:47:53 PM by Dont Try Me » Logged

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 07:03:52 PM »

yeah the vocals are one take demo place holder types, im still workin hard on em.

what i did was throw a vocal down to keep the place so i could do the bass and guitar fills/solos   for me its easier to do a solo by feeding off the vocal and i wanted people to hear them so i just put the demoed/rough version up for listening but once the final product is finished everything will be cleaned up! ok

thanks for listening and thanks for the critiques!

death of me is just a weird song one of those experiemental type things

what did u think about the scarlett fills and solo's around the chorus?

all i can say is wait till u all hear "altaration"  i shall share it eventually!!!!!

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 12:20:31 AM »

yes my post was all tongue in cheek if you could tell.

i've heard you mention alteration for ages now when are we gonna get to listen to it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 12:25:58 AM »

in time i promise! gotta do the bass and sing it real nice and i shall let u all hear it! it doesnt sound like anything ive really ever heard before but i dont wanna build it up too much

Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 11:27:53 AM »

what did u think about the scarlett fills and solo's around the chorus?

The basic idea of it is good, some parts kinda reminds me of that Velvet Revolver song. Forget the name.
However, the guitar is pretty much out of tune throughout the song.  Cry

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 04:07:18 PM »

yeah im careless with demos im redoin it as we speak with everything right.

i am 75 percent finished with my fast song and i think it kicks ass.

1 problem is i keep throwing my throat out, holy fuck i have even a new respect now for axl and singers who can do that style for 3 hours at a time.

havin gone the acoustic route for years im just now getting some of my chops back on the faster stuff

the demos were just basically to give people an idea of kind of what i do and sound like, so im gonna tune my guitar and do the solo's/fills on scarlett and clean em up a bit, yeah it was inspired by "loving the alien" a tad subconciously, slash is my hero what can i say

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: