Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  where to start a band?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: where to start a band?  (Read 3730 times)
Jmmbo
Opening Act

« on: January 11, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »

So ? I?m new in here and I have a question that?s been bugging me for some time now, and I would like to hear you guys? opinion about it. I think this is the right place to ask this question: If I were to start a kick-ass rock n? roll band (inspired by, but not copying bands like G n? R, Aerosmith, the Who, Motley Crue etc.) where should I go? Meaning, where is the greatest possibility of finding other musicians who share the goal of kicking ass on-stage with original material? I currently live in Denmark and even though there are a lot of great bands here, none of them seem to be playing classic rock. It?s either indie music or hip-hop/rn?b and those bands that ARE playing rock-music are either tribute-bands or bands playing part-time. I thought about going to US but where should I go? New York? LA? Maybe another country such as Canada or England? I also heard someone about a ?new wave of rock? coming out of Sweden (which is a lot closer to Denmark than the US). So? what do you think? Where are all the musicians who want to play ROCK? Just wondering? 
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:36:44 AM »

what do you play?

i play in a rock n roll band in Norway... and we need an additional guitarist! Wink
There are many cool rock bands in norway actually. But its so damn hard to get a breakthough.

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Jmmbo
Opening Act

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »

Oh yea right. I forgot: I play bass  Cool
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:19:41 AM »

Well in the UK its similar.

We have the same shit in the mainstream currently. If i were you, id advertise yourself in as many places as possible. check as many adverts as you can.

Look at main towns/cities in your country.

And most importently dont give up. Its taken me 3 years of let downs and bullshit to find a proper band that plays proper music. And even this is a challenge in itself.

html sucks
Jmmbo
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »

I thought about that to. I realise its all about visibillity - nothing happens if I do nothing. I have to 'get out there' and make sure that any upcoming band looking for a bass-player knows I'm available and so on. I was just wondering whether my chances would be better if I relocated to another country.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »

hmm.

Well you see. Its hard all over the world to form bands into the hard rock. glam metal sound. As its not popular anymore.

But your best chances are. Sweden where its at its biggest. And of course, that huge slab of rock known as the USA. Theres so many people there im sure youd be able to find the right guys.

But remember. Make sure you have a at least decent image to go. If you turn up half baulding looking like a slob...its gonna make your chances of getting in a band VERY hard.

html sucks
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 03:42:20 AM »

I'm trying to find a band to sing in, and have no clue as to how to go about doing so.

I live close to DC, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Jmmbo
Opening Act

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 06:00:26 PM »

Out of curiosity - one of my friends is planning to go to Australia. Does anyone in here know how the possibilities for joining a band are in Sydney?
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 06:52:03 PM »

come to the UK, i'm having the same problems trying to find/make a good rock band.  Everyone just wants to play indie and shit, which is dying.  Rock N Roll is due a renaissance.

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Jmmbo
Opening Act

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 07:52:50 PM »

True. The renaissance of true rock n roll is long overdue. Something needs to happen - and soon!!!! Let's get some bands together Wink
Padmasana
Headliner

King of Beers

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »

Where to start a band? Well, I started in a garage showing a mate some chords, and by playing wherever and whenever I could, I made progress. I played churches, town centres, schools, pubs, clubs... anywhere.

And my last album was mastered by David Gilmour's engineer, so I must be doing something right! The advantage of the modern world is that there are a bazillion places to find people. Upload videos to YouTube, make a Facebook group, set up a MySpace, post on fan forums of the above bands... brilliant ways to meet like minded people!

Good luck  Smiley

Funny how everything was Roses when we held onto the Guns...
Jmmbo
Opening Act

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 05:47:22 PM »

Thanks for the advice - never thought about making a facebook group before. Maybe that was an idea? Well... thing is, I've been playing bass for about ten years now (on and off) and the  couple of bands  I've  have been in have always consisted of friends. Now they have moved on and started pursuing 'real' careers which is why I have no experience in how to start a band with people who are not already a part of my social-circle. Anyone else who has some pieces of advice they would like to share? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated Or if there are any Danes reading this, who would be interested in starting something (inspired by the abovementioned bands), let me know. BTW I'm from near Aarhus. Thanks again for those who took the time to reply. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: