Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:14:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227919 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Religulous Trailer
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Religulous Trailer  (Read 39700 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2008, 12:30:38 AM »

This is so weird how many people had religion and Jesus is Bullshit, but their leader, Axl, believes in God and Jesus and collects crucifixes.........  Wow.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:36 AM »

This is so weird how many people had religion and Jesus is Bullshit, but their leader, Axl, believes in God and Jesus and collects crucifixes.........  Wow.

Who is Axl the leader of?

Admiring a musicians music or an athletes performance doesn't mean you HAVE to prescribe to all of their political and religious beliefs.  I have PLENTY of friends whos political and religious beliefs differ greatly from mine...  go figure.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2008, 12:36:18 AM »

Here is my problem with the ten commandments- why exactly are there 10?

You simply do not need ten. The list of ten commandments was artificially and deliberately inflated to get it up to ten. Here's what happened:

While I don't disagree at all with your conclusions about the commandments, I think you are mistaken here. Ten is arbitrarily important, and has only been universally so in more recent times than the Old Testament. We could have chosen any number to be the important 'base', and older civilizations did - for example the Mayans chose 20, the Romans arguably used 5, though the ancient Egyptians admittedly used 10. Ten is only written as 10 because at some point we (actually the Hindus) decided to do it that way - most likely because we have ten fingers but no one knows for sure.

If you read that/those parts of the bible, it's not even clear that there are ten commandments or which ones are the important ten. Different Christian denominations, and Judaism, divide them up differently. And there are actually 100s of commandments in all. In my opinion, what most likely happened is that later bible translators arbitrarily chose ten because by that time ten was an 'important' or 'official' sounding number.

But I think the meaning of how they can reduced is, they all kind of fall into the same category. Honesty.

Now to the movie and the original argument. I do happen to think all religion is a big ball of bullshit. Some people might call me agnostic, but even ANY label is bullshit. Now, don't get me wrong, if someone is religious, fine, cool, I'm not going to dislike or disrespect that person for their beleifs. Just lay of the BS when your around me. Chrisianity is the worst, especialy the Catholic version. I feel sorry for any child born into a Catholic family, hopefully when they get older they'll see the truth. All that religion does is teach you to be afraid. Don't do this, don't do that, don't listen to this, don't eat this food on this day and a million other things that are "sins"...........all pure fucking bullshit. Now I'm not talking about everyone who goes to church or anything like that. I'm talking about the brainwashed twats that actually, truly beleive the words in the bible.

Ok, lets say they're was a Jesus. His mom was Mary. She ain't no virgin, bitch got her cherry popped and had a kid out of wedlock, which, I remind you, is a sin of Catholics.

I could go on and on.

Look into your heart, find yourself, and you'll do just fine.

Axl Rose GNR, I suggest you spend a little more time worrying about yourself and your "beliefs" or lack there of and a little less time worrying about what other people do that make THEM feel good about themselves.  Most Arabs, Jews, Catholics, Baptists, are happy with what they are.  Are you happy with what you are?  I have no answers, but I know there is freedom of religion and freedom from religion.  Its all personal choice and we really shouldn't call any of "it" bullshit.  To many its the most important thing in their life.  I respect anyone that is devoted to something they beleive in.  I just don't like to see so much anti religion stuff when that was a big part on how this country was founded.  
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2008, 12:38:40 AM »

Who is Axl the leader of?

Admiring a musicians music or an athletes performance doesn't mean you HAVE to prescribe to all of their political and religious beliefs.  I have PLENTY of friends whos political and religious beliefs differ greatly from mine...  go figure.

All his nutswingers.  Hill, I was being sarcastic, but it is weird how Axl's personal religious faith gets blasted here.  In November Rain, I didn't see Axl getting married at a Court house.  He was married in his video in the "House of God."  Just saying, thought it was funny.  You are right, you don't have to be into what Axl is into, just thought it was funny.
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »

Axl Rose GNR, I suggest you spend a little more time worrying about yourself and your "beliefs" or lack there of and a little less time worrying about what other people do that make THEM feel good about themselves.  Most Arabs, Jews, Catholics, Baptists, are happy with what they are.  Are you happy with what you are?  I have no answers, but I know there is freedom of religion and freedom from religion.  Its all personal choice and we really shouldn't call any of "it" bullshit.  To many its the most important thing in their life.  I respect anyone that is devoted to something they beleive in.  I just don't like to see so much anti religion stuff when that was a big part on how this country was founded.  

No, it wasn't. And that's really the point, religion has never been able to keep itself to itself - it's not in its nature. Also Arab isn't a religion.

Quote from:  George Bush
One of the delegates, Nabil Shaath, who was Palestinian foreign minister at the time, said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2008, 08:57:01 AM »

Why do American Christians get so oversensitive about criticism of their religion when

1. You are politically, financially and numerically dominant in the most powerful nation in history. It's not like you're being thrown to the lions these days.
2. You have an all powerful and all knowing deity on your side.
3. You have an eternity in heaven to look forward to.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2008, 09:47:43 AM »

Haha, Arab, okay, Muslim.  Anyway, Freedom of Religion was a big part on why this country was formed.  Better?  Tap, I don't like the bashing of any religion weather Jewish, Hindu, Budist or Christian.  What is the point?  Its just a belief. 

Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2008, 02:14:22 PM »

Irrelevant.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2008, 02:22:39 PM »

Haha, Arab, okay, Muslim.  Anyway, Freedom of Religion was a big part on why this country was formed.  Better?  Tap, I don't like the bashing of any religion weather Jewish, Hindu, Budist or Christian.  What is the point?  Its just a belief.

If religion was just a belief, neither the movie nor this thread would exist. I suspect you have to go further out of your way to find religion bashing, than I do to find religion infringing on my life. When was the last time you had atheists knocking on your door wanting to talk about evolution for example?

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »

If religion was just a belief, neither the movie nor this thread would exist. I suspect you have to go further out of your way to find religion bashing, than I do to find religion infringing on my life. When was the last time you had atheists knocking on your door wanting to talk about evolution for example?

What a cop out Tap.  Its much easier to take your route of a non believer than actually choose from many of the religions and find one you like.  Its much easier to dismiss everything and call it all Bullshit.  That is your right and your freedom.  There is nothing wrong with your lack of faith or beliefs.  But when 95% of the world believes in a higher power, you are going to be on the outside looking in.  Its okay.  You could be gay and have straightness shoved down your throat. 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

"My particular church was filled with self-righteous hypocrites who were child abusers and child molesters. These were people who'd been damaged in their own childhoods and in their lives. These were people who were finding God but still living with their damage and inflicting it upon their children. I had to go to church anywhere from three to eight times a week. l even taught Bible school while l was being beaten and my sister was being molested"

- Axl Rose

http://hem.passagen.se/snoqalf/art-1992-RIP-1.html

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2008, 05:16:14 PM »

"My particular church was filled with self-righteous hypocrites who were child abusers and child molesters. These were people who'd been damaged in their own childhoods and in their lives. These were people who were finding God but still living with their damage and inflicting it upon their children. I had to go to church anywhere from three to eight times a week. l even taught Bible school while l was being beaten and my sister was being molested"

- Axl Rose

Axl Rose being molested doesn't mean he stopped believing in God.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »

- Axl Rose

And how do you know what the man does, or doesn't believe in?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »

- Axl Rose

Well, at least into his early 30's he was still a collector of Crucifixes.  Also would he protray himself in a tradational church wedding and risk his image if he didn't feel comfortable doing it? 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »

- Axl Rose

Well, at least into his early 30's he was still a collector of Crucifixes.  Also would he protray himself in a tradational church wedding and risk his image if he didn't feel comfortable doing it? 

I wouldn't interpret someone as deeply religious just because they collect crucifixes.

I wear a cross, but I'm not religious.

How was he risking his image by participating in a traditional wedding?

Lots of people get married in a church, and aren't religious.

Hell, I'll probably get married in a church, and I'm not religious.

There is a difference between being spiritual and religious, Smoking Guns.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »

- Axl Rose

I wouldn't interpret someone as deeply religious just because they collect crucifixes.

Oh, I agree with all that, I am not saying he goes to church, but like you said, is spiritual.  I think he beleives in a higher power and would assume a Christain faith.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2008, 05:59:13 PM »

- Axl Rose

Oh, I agree with all that, I am not saying he goes to church, but like you said, is spiritual. 

Yeah, Axl is definately a spiritual dude Smiley

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2008, 06:10:16 PM »

What a cop out Tap.  Its much easier to take your route of a non believer than actually choose from many of the religions and find one you like.  Its much easier to dismiss everything and call it all Bullshit.  That is your right and your freedom.  There is nothing wrong with your lack of faith or beliefs.  But when 95% of the world believes in a higher power, you are going to be on the outside looking in.  Its okay.  You could be gay and have straightness shoved down your throat. 

Well that makes a whole load of sense. It's much easier to be religious....and seriously, do you really think that people choose their own religions, and it's not generally determined by their family and community? You're in the southern US right, and you 'chose' Christianity over Hinduism after a careful consideration of both religions I'm sure.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »

Well that makes a whole load of sense. It's much easier to be religious....and seriously, do you really think that people choose their own religions, and it's not generally determined by their family and community? You're in the southern US right, and you 'chose' Christianity over Hinduism after a careful consideration of both religions I'm sure.

You are damn right about that Tap.  It is huge on what your parents do.  You have an advantage, you don't believe in anything.  So you can be more objective.  I am tainted because I was brought up a certain way.  I could have converted to anything though.  My parents were cool that way. I wasn't forced to do anything.  I attended functions of many faiths.  I find the new friends you meet out weighs being annoyed to join another church.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2008, 07:18:37 PM »

Do you know how fucking awkward this is?  I'm looking down at my hand-held e-mail device as I'm standing on Smoking Guns' doorstep all prepared to lecture him on the benefits of an existence free of religion...and BAM!  TAP makes this post!   hihi

Seriously, November Rain was a stretch Smoking Guns.  In videos, Axl's been laughing it up driving with Satan himself, I don't think that means he condones Satanic worship.

Also, I bet Marilyn Manson collects crucifixes too...as it was pointed out, a crucifix fetish doesn't mean you are religious.

TAP makes excellent points.  I can't find one I disagree with.  beer

Obviously, Axl's a spiritual guy...the cool part about him is that he's never forced his personal beliefs on anybody else.  "Most organized religions make a mockery of humanity..."  Couple that with his upbringing mentioned earlier in this thread.  Couple that with his chronicled spiritual dalliances in the late '90's...we're all kinda searching....it's the a-holes who think their way is the best that we're talkin' 'bout S. Guns.  The a-holes who will tell others who don't believe the way they do, they're goin' to hell.

Now, imagine a world where we didn't indoctrinate children with religion up to the age of 18.....can you imagine how many would still choose to join a religion?  Trust me, it would fade like the setting sun.  People would learn that real peace and real spirituality isn't found in public gatherings...it's found within themselves.  

Smoking Guns said, "Axl Rose being molested doesn't mean he stopped believing in God."  I'll agree with that.  It probably strengthened his faith.  People whose lives are hell need something good to look forward to.  That's the allure of heaven.  It's one of the main reasons you find those on the bottom of the socio-economic totem pole so disproportionally drawn to religion.
 peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: