Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 01:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Religulous Trailer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Religulous Trailer  (Read 39611 times)
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »

Statistical studies of religious belief vs education/intelligence from 1927 to recent times.

http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intelligence%20&%20religion.htm
Yeah, but then again, since then politicial and similar groups have grown and adopted (and with that, replaced) those parts of religion and just rejected the spritiual parts.
I still think there is place of sensible religious practise in a modern world. peace

That maybe so, but i'm not sure what it has to do with anything in this thread. The two points in this thread you seem to be responding to are

1. Religious people are deluded. This is clearly in regard to the spiritual/supernatural belief part of religion. I don't think anyone would argue that many people perform good deeds because they are religious, or that some religions incorporate worthy philosophy. But neither of those things have anything to do with what makes something a religion in the first place.

2. Education levels are negatively correlated with religious belief There's consistent, strong evidence for this in the link I posted and in many other studies. Throwing the supernatural out of religion doesn't change this.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »

Carlin on religion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

"You know who I pray to, Joe Pesci" ...too funny, what a loss  Cry

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »

The Pope is helping....

(*removed quotes for length's sake*)

Like I said before the problem with religion is when people intermix their opinion and take religion 'into their own hands' and out of God's and what their scriptures say.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure why I should take mrbucketfoot from the HTGTH forum's version of what religion really is over the pope's. You haven't presented any compelling arguments.

Dude, you're joking right? BucketHead IS god!! 

hihi

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2008, 09:04:53 PM »

The Pope is helping....

(*removed quotes for length's sake*)

Like I said before the problem with religion is when people intermix their opinion and take religion 'into their own hands' and out of God's and what their scriptures say.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure why I should take mrbucketfoot from the HTGTH forum's version of what religion really is over the pope's. You haven't presented any compelling arguments.

Dude, you're joking right? BucketHead IS god!! 

hihi

I didn't realize he was the real Buckethead, was assuming a false idol  Smiley

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »

kind of off topic, but how come everytime i see those commericals for christian music cds, everyone in the crowd has their eyes closed and their hands raised up to the air?   

i want to listen to some arm raisin, eye closin jesus rock.

I wondered that too.

A better question might be one of why each of those CDs has the same songs as the one before.  And are people are dumb enough to buy more than one?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »

Something has to change.
Un-deniable dilemma.
Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear.

Constant over stimu-lation numbs me
but I would not want you
any other way.

It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Finger deep within the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Relax, turn around and take my hand.

I can help you change
Tired moments into pleasure.
Say the word and we'll be
Well upon our way.

Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not want me any other way.

It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Knuckle deep inside the borderline.
This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to.
Relax. Slip away.

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?

How can this mean anything to me
If I really don't feel anything at all?

I'll keep digging till
I feel something.

Elbow deep inside the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Shoulder deep within the borderline.
Relax. Turn around and take my hand.

- MJK

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 05:37:30 PM »

Organized religion is nothing more than a glorified popularity contest.  And people pay to participate in it.   Crazy.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »

Organized religion is nothing more than a glorified popularity contest.  And people pay to participate in it.   Crazy.

Listen here Heathen2k!..................nice post.  Smiley

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »

In this trailer he addresses the wackiness of Christianity and Islam (ok, by me)...but why not include Judaism too who got the same wack things as the others?

Oh, right...Maher is a Jew....and he is very pro-Israel, so a no-go area  peace

*waits for the "yew ar am antey seemait"-drones*  ok

This signature is very funny.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2008, 06:57:19 PM »

In this trailer he addresses the wackiness of Christianity and Islam (ok, by me)...but why not include Judaism too who got the same wack things as the others?

Boy Atilla, a little defensive, eh?  What makes you think Maher is going to attack just a few major religions?  Get a clue.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »

Boy Atilla, a little defensive, eh?  What makes you think Maher is going to attack just a few major religions?  Get a clue.

The trailer never showed him attacking Judaism....he also never did it in his shows....ever....

I am for equality...attack all religions then, not just the ones your masters don't like. If he doesn't attack Judaism as much as Christianity and islam, he is a hired puppet, end of  peace

And "boy axl4"...me defensive? No it's called, offensive Wink

I would be defensive if I was religious, christian or moslem, which I am not. I am showing the hypocrisy involved here  ok
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:23:25 PM by Atillla » Logged

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »

http://www.disbeliefnet.com/

Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2008, 07:27:22 PM »

The trailer never showed him attacking Judaism....he also never did it in his shows....ever....

I am for equality...attack all religions then, not just the ones your masters don't like. If he doesn't attack Judaism as much as Christianity and islam, he is a hired puppet, end of  peace

And "boy axl4"...me defensive? No it's called, offensive Wink

I would be defensive if I was religious, christian or moslem, which I am not. I am showing the hypocrisy involved here  ok

False.   I have no education in Judaism.   That doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to express an opinion about Christianity. 

What leaks??
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2008, 08:09:14 AM »

False.   I have no education in Judaism.   That doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to express an opinion about Christianity. 

The movie is about all religion being wack (which I agree with)....so why exclude Judaism...? Maher is jewish, he supports Israel aggressively...and anyone who doesn't see the connections is sleeping ok
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 08:14:42 AM by Atillla » Logged

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »

The movie is about all religion being wack (which I agree with)....so why exclude Judaism...?

He doesn't, you're wrong. I doubt he edited the trailer himself.

Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2008, 10:43:22 AM »

The movie is about all religion being wack (which I agree with)....so why exclude Judaism...? Maher is jewish, he supports Israel aggressively...and anyone who doesn't see the connections is sleeping ok

There are countless religions out there.  Should he devote half an hour to Summum too?  Let's wait till the movie is released and see.

What leaks??
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 03:35:27 PM »

There are countless religions out there.  Should he devote half an hour to Summum too?  Let's wait till the movie is released and see.

You don't have to wait. Click on the link I posted above - it's Maher's new site to tie in with the movie, it's quite clear that Judaism is included.

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »

Something has to change.
Un-deniable (... and so on)

- MJK

I was always under the impression that Stinkfist was about anal sex. Now tell me, what exactly does anal sex have to do with religi...

... Oh. My bad.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »

I'm not sure if this post belongs in this thread, so if it doesn't apply, I'm sorry. The following is a transcript of George Carlins thougths on the 10 comandments. While it's funny, it's also VERY true. Here goes:

Here is my problem with the ten commandments- why exactly are there 10?

You simply do not need ten. The list of ten commandments was artificially and deliberately inflated to get it up to ten. Here's what happened:

About 5,000 years ago a bunch of religious and political hustlers got together to try to figure out how to control people and keep them in line. They knew people were basically stupid and would believe anything they were told, so they announced that God had given them some commandments, up on a mountain, when no one was around.

Well let me ask you this- when they were making this shit up, why did they pick 10? Why not 9 or 11? I'll tell you why- because 10 sound official. Ten sounds important! Ten is the basis for the decimal system, it's a decade, it's a psychologically satisfying number (the top ten, the ten most wanted, the ten best dressed). So having ten commandments was really a marketing decision! It is clearly a bullshit list. It's a political document artificially inflated to sell better. I will now show you how you can reduce the number of commandments and come up with a list that's a little more workable and logical. I am going to use the Roman Catholic version because those were the ones I was taught as a little boy.

Let's start with the first three:

I AM THE LORD THY GOD THOU SHALT NOT HAVE STRANGE GODS BEFORE ME

THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN

THOU SHALT KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH

Right off the bat the first three are pure bullshit. Sabbath day? Lord's name? strange gods? Spooky language! Designed to scare and control primitive people. In no way does superstitious nonsense like this apply to the lives of intelligent civilized humans in the 21st century. So now we're down to 7. Next:

HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER

Obedience, respect for authority. Just another name for controlling people. The truth is that obedience and respect shouldn't be automatic. They should be earned and based on the parent's performance. Some parents deserve respect, but most of them don't, period. You're down to six.

Now in the interest of logic, something religion is very uncomfortable with, we're going to jump around the list a little bit.

THOU SHALT NOT STEAL

THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS

Stealing and lying. Well actually, these two both prohibit the same kind of behavior- dishonesty. So you don't really need two you combine them and call the commandment "thou shalt not be dishonest". And suddenly you're down to 5.

And as long as we're combining I have two others that belong together:

THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTRY

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE

Once again, these two prohibit the same type of behavior. In this case it is marital infidelity. The difference is- coveting takes place in the mind. But I don't think you should outlaw fantasizing about someone else's wife because what is a guy gonna think about when he's waxing his carrot? But, marital infidelity is a good idea so we're gonna keep this one and call it "thou shalt not be unfaithful". And suddenly we're down to four.

But when you think about it, honesty and infidelity are really part of the same overall value so, in truth, you could combine the two honesty commandments with the two fidelity commandments and give them simpler language, positive language instead of negative language and call the whole thing "thou shalt always be honest and faithful" and we're down to 3.

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR"S GOODS

This one is just plain fuckin' stupid. Coveting your neighbor's goods is what keeps the economy going! Your neighbor gets a vibrator that plays "o come o ye faithful", and you want one too! Coveting creates jobs, so leave it alone. You throw out coveting and you're down to 2 now- the big honesty and fidelity commandment and the one we haven't talked about yet:

THOU SHALT NOT KILL

Murder. But when you think about it, religion has never really had a big problem with murder. More people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason. All you have to do is look at Northern Ireland, Cashmire, the Inquisition, the Crusades, and the World Trade Center to see how seriously the religious folks take thou shalt not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable. It depends on who's doin the killin' and who's gettin' killed. So, with all of this in mind, I give you my revised list of the two commandments:

Thou shalt always be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie.

&

Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course they pray to a different invisible man than you.

Two is all you need; Moses could have carried them down the hill in his fuckin' pocket. I wouldn't mind those folks in Alabama posting them on the courthouse wall, as long as they provided one additional commandment:

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

Axl is God.
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 07:25:18 PM »

Here is my problem with the ten commandments- why exactly are there 10?

You simply do not need ten. The list of ten commandments was artificially and deliberately inflated to get it up to ten. Here's what happened:

While I don't disagree at all with your conclusions about the commandments, I think you are mistaken here. Ten is arbitrarily important, and has only been universally so in more recent times than the Old Testament. We could have chosen any number to be the important 'base', and older civilizations did - for example the Mayans chose 20, the Romans arguably used 5, though the ancient Egyptians admittedly used 10. Ten is only written as 10 because at some point we (actually the Hindus) decided to do it that way - most likely because we have ten fingers but no one knows for sure.

If you read that/those parts of the bible, it's not even clear that there are ten commandments or which ones are the important ten. Different Christian denominations, and Judaism, divide them up differently. And there are actually 100s of commandments in all. In my opinion, what most likely happened is that later bible translators arbitrarily chose ten because by that time ten was an 'important' or 'official' sounding number.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: