Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:21:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Why do guitarists mostly prefer set necks?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do guitarists mostly prefer set necks?  (Read 6279 times)
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« on: June 18, 2004, 08:46:34 AM »

My guitar is a mixture of everything. It's so old its practically irreplacable if i were to ever lose it.

It's a les paul, but it's light, has a bolt on neck like a strat, but a humbucker in the neck, but then what looks like like a humbucker in the bridge which is actually a gibson single coil. Overall it sounds very very similar to an SG.

People when getting a lp style guitar always want a set neck. Why is that, for the sustain? I've heard some strats with plenty of sustain. Yeah people say that they can pluck a note on their gibson lp's go eat a sandwich and come back and it'll still be ringing......well i doubt you'd ever need that in a solo. My guitar has plenty of sustain from a bolt on, the quality of the pickups sorta overide the bolt on neck.

So why is set neck so preferred then?, and they make it cost so much more too confused
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 02:59:10 PM »

Any good guitar regardless of neck construction should have a decent amount of sustain. I prefer Les Pauls and they happen to have set necks. Play whatever you like and don't worry about other players opinions too much. People like to think they have "the best" and maybe it's the best for them but not for everyone. Set neck guitars cost more because of the labor involved. If you don't feel like paying for that or saving up the extra cash there are plenty of bolt-on neck guitars available. Bottom line: if the guitar sounds, feels and looks good to you, then it is.
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 08:19:36 PM »

I can?t speakby every one, but as far as myself I like set necks mostly because of sustain and because yyou can reach higher frets easier.And I also prefer them quiete fat, like Les Paul?s neck yes

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 08:31:02 PM »

...I like set necks mostly because ... yyou can reach higher frets easier...
Baby Slash//

What??

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Slash Fan 2004
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 12:42:52 AM »

Baby Slash//

what is baby slash
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 12:44:18 AM by Slash Fan 2004 » Logged
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 01:54:41 PM »

Baby Slash//

what is baby slash

That?s my second name after Slashly

What??

That with a set-nek you can reach higher notes or higher frets with less dificulty.

Baby Slash//
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 01:56:21 PM by Slashly » Logged

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Slash Fan 2004
Opening Act

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 03:57:04 PM »

Baby?
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 05:47:19 PM »

That with a set-nek you can reach higher notes or higher frets with less dificulty.

That really depends on the guitar. Les Pauls do not have the best upper fret access and they are set neck.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 05:51:14 PM »

Baby Slash//

what is baby slash

That?s my second name after Slashly

What??

Baby Slash//
Are you talking about Les Paul's specifically...because it is far, far easier to reach the high frets on a strat or similar bolt-on style guitar than it is on a LP.  Les Paul's have massive heels...

The reason most people like set necks is because people don't like change and only ever judge Gibson or Fender.  And since Fender's neck joint basically sucks more than a russian hooker, people think Gibson's designs are wonderful and set necks are better.

It's a pity really, because as Taylor have proved, bolt rather than glued necks are more efficient, and more useful (especially on acoustics) and as Paul Reed Smith has quite deftly demonstrated, bolt-in neck's are superior to set necks.  No glue in your neck pocket means a mechanically sound joint.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 10:17:54 PM »

Baby?

Belive it or not, I?m quiet younger than Slash (I?m 13, he is 39).The Baby Slash nickname was given to me by Rebecca Duff Rose after seeing what I looked like.I?ll give you the proof:

Yeah that?s right
Baby Fucking Slash!!

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 07:18:00 PM »

Baby?

Belive it or not, I?m quiet younger than Slash (I?m 13, he is 39).The Baby Slash nickname was given to me by Rebecca Duff Rose after seeing what I looked like.I?ll give you the proof:

Yeah that?s right
Baby Fucking Slash!!
Ok...you're 13...you're post makes more sense now...

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 08:37:56 PM »

Baby?

Yeah that?s right
Baby Fucking Slash!!

Ha ha, Miz, you?re funny, you?re very funny!!!!!Just for you to know I know quite much for my age.And another thing, you?re the first person on this board to make fun og me because of my age, thing that I found terribly stupid, but, well, there you go.....

Baby Slash//

Slash Fan 2004
Opening Act

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 10:26:50 AM »

the pic didn't even work

Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 10:14:48 PM »

the pic didn't even work

Jesus Christ!! Will you complain about everything??!!
I?ll give you the god damn link:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/boardgallery/
There go to my archive (were it says Slashly) and clic on the pic that says "just like Slash"

After seeing that picture, Rebecca said : Oh, now you?re Baby Slash and there for I singed my posts with that name,OK?

Baby Slash//
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 10:21:28 PM by Baby Slash » Logged

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 08:15:33 PM »

Baby?

Yeah that?s right
Baby Fucking Slash!!

Ha ha, Miz, you?re funny, you?re very funny!!!!!Just for you to know I know quite much for my age.And another thing, you?re the first person on this board to make fun og me because of my age, thing that I found terribly stupid, but, well, there you go.....

Baby Slash//
Well...I originally was questioning your rather ridiculous comments on set necks being inherently easier to play the high frets on.
When I saw your age, I was merely commenting on the fact that it made sense to me that you'd have an opinion like that.  If you look at the average age of a person who thinks Gibson or Fender is the best guitar maker, you might forgive me for thinking that young=naive.

Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004, 08:57:11 PM »

Well, but I?ve been in the guitar thing since I was 7, so I might be a little young but honey I aint naive!Here I am I?m your Rocke....ups sorry!
Oh and BTW I never said Gibson or Fender were the best, the only thing I said was that the Gibson were the ones I like the most, IMO, not the best but the one I like d most.

Baby Slash//
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 09:00:22 PM by Baby Slash » Logged

Slash Fan 2004
Opening Act

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 12:34:36 AM »

How long did it take you to grow your hair like that?
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 05:53:30 PM »

about 5 months and now it?s even longer (7months)!!
Isn?t my hair awsome??

Baby Slash//

Slash Fan 2004
Opening Act

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 01:36:50 AM »

about 5 months and now it?s even longer (7months)!!
Isn?t my hair awsome??

Baby Slash//

yup
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: