Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:03:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227919 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Samick Greg Bennett LP Copy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Samick Greg Bennett LP Copy  (Read 6113 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: December 18, 2006, 08:36:06 AM »

I'm thinking of buying one of these:

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/av3.html

Anybody heard of these? Basically, they are made by Samick and designed by a guy named Greg Bennett. Since Samick used to make the Epi Korean LPs, I'm guessing these are quite good. The price is really cheap too, compared to Epi.

Any opinions?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 11:04:44 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 10:22:34 AM »

I have a samick acoustic guitar....one of the best sounding acousitic's i've ever heard...not a word of a lie...it's old though like 10-15 years at least. not sure what the quality of the new stuff is like.

I've owned a samick Bass too...also great quality beer

Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:09:11 AM »

I have the Bennett AV3 model.  And all I can say is YES!!!  GET ONE!!! They seriously are great for such a low price.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:43:18 AM »

They seriously are great for such a low price.

how much are they? comparable to epi lp's?

AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:05:24 PM »

it looks like shit, I have to admit that.

All i know is hat samick pianos are shit

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 08:47:32 AM »

Quit beating around the bush and buy a Gibson- it's worth it

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 01:49:35 PM »

My AV3 was $350, I believe.  I don't care how good anyone says Gibson is, I'm not spending twice the money for one when I can get a comparable replica in the Samick at a more affordable price.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 05:40:56 AM »

My AV3 was $350, I believe.  I don't care how good anyone says Gibson is, I'm not spending twice the money for one when I can get a comparable replica in the Samick at a more affordable price.

lets just say you get what you pay for. you buy a cheap guitar you get a cheap guitar.

you buy a gibson you get a great guitar, costs more but worth every penny.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 09:31:48 AM »

Actually, these are the only guitars available here. They are better in quality than Epi, so I think I'm goiing to go for one.

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 09:35:34 AM »

i dunno I've been told if you buy an epi LP you get 90% of the guitar for 1/4 of the price, i've played both gibson and epi LP standards and i didnt notice much of a difference Undecided

WIth Gibson you get a guitar made from 1 peice of wood, epi's are laminated together peices, and Gibson is made in USA while Epi's are made in korea....so i gues if you HAVE TO have a guitar made in the USA then go gibson, but if you cant afford to drop $3000-4000 then go with a copy Wink

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 09:43:11 AM »

Gibson is made in USA while Epi's are made in korea....

Actually, Epis are made in the US, Japan (Elitist models) and now China. The Korean Epis were made by Samick. That's why I think these guitars are better than the Epis available now. Korean guitars kick the crap out of any other make, including US models.

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 10:09:15 AM »

Gibson is made in USA while Epi's are made in korea....

Actually, Epis are made in the US, Japan (Elitist models) and now China. The Korean Epis were made by Samick. That's why I think these guitars are better than the Epis available now. Korean guitars kick the crap out of any other make, including US models.

oops my bad, but are you sure? Cuz the newer epi lp's are supposed to blow the older ones outta the water and i swear the dude said when i bought mine that Epi LP's are made in korea...and i know Wikipedia is not the greatest source but it says

In the early 1970s, Epiphones began to be manufactured in Japan. Epiphone's main manufacturing base is now in Korea. The brand is now primarily used to issue less expensive versions of classic Gibson models (much like the Squier brand is used by Fender), most of the time with different tonewoods, often resulting in the instruments bearing a visual and ergonomic similarity to the Gibson originals, with a slightly different tone. Epiphone's own models, however, such as the Emperor, Zephyr, Riviera and Sheraton, are instruments that are built to higher quality standards than the company's "Gibson copy" line. Epiphone also produces a range of higher quality instruments under the "Elitist Series" moniker.

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 10:49:16 AM »

Here's a more recent article: http://www.sinomedia.net/eurobiz/v200504/music0504.html

"America's legendary guitar maker, Gibson, has abandoned its strategy of outsourcing production of its mid-range Epiphone series to Asian factories. In October 2002, Gibson opened its own Epiphone plant outside Qingdao, in northeast China. "In order to produce a superior instrument, we needed to open our own factory,?? said a spokesperson for the President of Epiphone. In the past, most Epiphone guitars were assembled in Korea by Samick, but today Gibson is exporting better guitars more cheaply from its Qingdao factory."

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

but today Gibson is exporting better guitars

thats all i care about hihi

kidding...thanks for finding that...so we were both wrong they are made in china now..but then again isn't everything made in china these days...except gibsons of course rofl

Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 12:12:42 PM »

i dunno I've been told if you buy an epi LP you get 90% of the guitar for 1/4 of the price, i've played both gibson and epi LP standards and i didnt notice much of a difference Undecided

WIth Gibson you get a guitar made from 1 peice of wood, epi's are laminated together peices, and Gibson is made in USA while Epi's are made in korea....so i gues if you HAVE TO have a guitar made in the USA then go gibson, but if you cant afford to drop $3000-4000 then go with a copy Wink

You're right on the "90% for 1/4 the price" remark, and having tried out Gibsons, Epis, and my Samick, I think the Samick is slightly better than the Epi, and costs even less.  When I was looking for a LP-type guitar, I checked out every model I could find that was in my price range.  $3000 for a Gibson is far too much, even $750 for the Epi was above me.  $350 for the Samick, the only thing you aren't getting is the name "Gibson" or "Epiphone" on it.  And with my Samick, is has a set neck, as opposed to those bolted things used by some companies.

If I'm going to go out and spend $3000 on something, it won't be a guitar, I can guarantee you that much.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 12:19:24 PM »

If I'm going to go out and spend $3000 on something, it won't be a guitar, I can guarantee you that much.

yeah exactly....i got a sweet deal on my Epi LP standard...$450 CDN....cuz it has a speck of sawdust in the clear coat on the neck near the body...its a factory reject.... but i couldnt see anythign else wrong woth it besides that, and it sounds mint....but i never even knew samick made LP's or i woulda tried one out Undecided

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 10:59:39 AM »

I just bought the Samick Avion AV3, transparent black colour LP copy and wow oh wow, this guitar simply beats the shit out of the Epiphone. At just $290, it has Grover tuners (unlike the plastiky Epi) and Duncan "designed" pups which sound great (just needs to be potted to remove the microphonics). Great finish and action.

Highly recommended to anyone over the Epi at such a low price.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 11:03:48 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: