Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:30:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227926 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Joe Buck Show
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Joe Buck Show  (Read 8663 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« on: June 16, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »

I don't expect this thread to last long, just like I don't expect the Joe Buck Show to last long.  BUT, apparently the first episode was newsworthy for all the wrong reasons.  From all accounts it was AWFUL!  And Artie Lange from the Howard Stern Show was a guest on the panel and he laced into Buck and the overall awfulness of the show.  Joe Buck was non too entertained and looked extremely taken aback and uncomfortable. 

Apparently it was all over the news, as USA Today covered it.  From all accounts the show was awful, why they gave Joe Buck a show is beyond me.  I know he likes to crack jokes in the booth, but he seems like kind of a serious guy especially when he's faced with guys who are actually funny instead of Tim McCarver, Troy Aikman, and the like. 

Artie explained on the show today that the producer of the Joe Buck Show told him to let loose if things weren't going well.  So he completely took advantage of that advice.

Here's the article from USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2009-06-16-artie-lange-joe-buck_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Here's the clip of the appearance (hopefully they leave it up)
http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/5309607

And here's Mike Francesa talking about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj_WRL7vTTI

All in all, if it weren't for Artie the show wouldn't have gotten any exposure whatsoever.  It just would've gotten bad reviews, at least now it's got people talking.

Edit:  Looks like the video of the appearance has been taken down.  Here's Chris "Mad Dog" Russo talking to Joe about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEDIU4HFa20
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:14:01 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:15 AM »

Joe Buck stinks.  Not only should his show get canceled, he needs to stay away from broadcast booths for the rest of his life.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:54 AM »

I hate joe Buck

with a passion

get this conservative bitch off TV.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:26:38 AM »

I actually don't mind him too much for baseball.  I'll never get over his insane overreaction on that Randy Moss fake mooning the Lambeau crowd.  "What a disgusting display."  He described it as if Randy anally raped one of the cheesehead fans in the crowd. 

Although I kind of feel bad for the guy in this situation.  He was completely overmatched.  It was his first show and it was bombing, it was lame, and enter comedian Artie Lange.  Artie tried his best to spice up the show but once he started with the vulgarities Buck was completely out of his element.  You could see how uncomfortable he was the second Artie delivered his first jab.  It didn't help that Joe and other producers told Artie to "let him have it" before the show.  Artie doesn't have much of a filtering process and works on satellite radio where he can say pretty much anything he wants.  You put him on a network where the rules are pretty much the same and you should know what you're gonna get.  Joe was obviously not ready for it.  All in all though, could be another case of any publicity is good publicity.  Otherwise his shitty show wouldn't be getting any coverage whatsoever.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:08 AM »

I DO mind his baseball coverage, actually.

You would think he picked up a thing or two from his dad, but sadly, he is a below average broadcaster.

Pair him up with McCarver and you have the worst broadcast booth in all of baseball.  Well, Krukow and Kuiper are pretty bad, with the Jom Miller and Joe Morgan combo down there too.

You're liable to burn through more brain cells listening to Buck and McCarver than by smoking weed.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »

Agree, they are horrible.

He is lucky he has Troy Aikman to save his ass on NFL broadcast.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:49:30 PM »

Here's the segment from the online portion that didn't appear on HBO.  It hasn't been pulled YET.  I watched the replay of the show on HBO and they bleeped all the swears out from Artie, plus he's now banned from HBO Sports.  Adding to his list of programs he's not welcomed back on, as he's no longer welcomed on the Tonight Show with Conan.  Not sure that's the kind of progression you want to see in your career.

http://deadspin.com/5292467/watch-artie-lange-crap-all-over-joe-bucks-first-show

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:27:41 PM »

No Artie during boxing?

I'm crushed.  They need to replace the old guy that takes forever to construct a sentence.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 08:51:31 PM »

Faldor, great call on that Randy Moss celebration.  Buck's reaction was ridiculous...as was James Brown's when they went back to the studio (Brown was with Fox at the time).  I can forgive Brown now because he's the consummate pre-game host on the early CBS/Fox games on Sunday.  Buck is terrible.  D is right, Aikman's improvement since his first season calling games has saved Buck's sorry ass.

A lot of folks give my man Collinsworth shit, but at least he's not an uptight prick...and the man is a hell of an analyst.
Madden's right, he's the best analyst out there.

Back on topic... rofl Joe Buck got his own show!  rofl  I laughed out loud when I saw the commercial for it.  Who in their right mind would watch that?

btw, I just hope Artie doesn't pull a Chris Farley or Belushi deal...he seems to be pretty self-destructive.  Sad

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »

Artie seems to be doing better.  He's off drugs and has been sober for a few months now, he's lost a lot of weight so he looks a lot healthier.  He just seems to be letting loose now that he's clean.  Maybe a bit of an adjustment period.  He's working on a reality show with A&E, they start filming soon.  Unfortunately they weren't filming during the Joe Buck Show, they missed some good stuff there.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »

You would think he picked up a thing or two from his dad, but sadly, he is a below average broadcaster.

Pair him up with McCarver and you have the worst broadcast booth in all of baseball.  Well, Krukow and Kuiper are pretty bad, with the Jom Miller and Joe Morgan combo down there too.

You're liable to burn through more brain cells listening to Buck and McCarver than by smoking weed.

OMG!

We agree on something sports related!!  I wasn't sure it would EVER happen. Smiley

Buck and McCarver are the worst baseball broadcasting teams since my dog and cat decided to try to provide commentary on the '86 Yanks.   I agree with your "runners up"....but while they might be bad, Buck and McCarver win the prize because a) they're so prolific and b) they actually THINK they're good.

I can't COUNT the number of boneheaded, flat out WRONG, stuff McCarver says during a Fox afternoon game.  It's deplorable.....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »

OK, the internet portion was priceless!

LUCKY PIERRE'?  C'mon....

Joe looked like he was going to spontaneously combust....

Buck should be sending Artie fruit baskets every freaking day for the rest of his life.

The show...the sports part...SUCKED.  He had Brett Favre on and he can't make him interesting.  Let me elaborate:  CAN'T make the guy who's playing the "will he or won't he" game for the umpteenth time, EVEN THOUGH FAVRE WAS WILLING TO TALK for the first time, interesting.  SO many directions to go with that one, and Buck just sits on his hands with his thumb up his ass.

The show had 300k viewers for it's initial Live showing....BECAUSE of Artie's comments, and the news it generated, that number has shot up HUGE (tripled, in most cases) for most of it's repeat showings.

Without Artie, the show is a fart in the wind.....it would have smelled bad, but would've been gone quick.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:03:11 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 12:43:17 AM »

OMG!

We agree on something sports related!!  I wasn't sure it would EVER happen. Smiley

Buck and McCarver are the worst baseball broadcasting teams since my dog and cat decided to try to provide commentary on the '86 Yanks.   I agree with your "runners up"....but while they might be bad, Buck and McCarver win the prize because a) they're so prolific and b) they actually THINK they're good.

I can't COUNT the number of boneheaded, flat out WRONG, stuff McCarver says during a Fox afternoon game.  It's deplorable.....

I consider myself blessed that those guys stay out east, and I get Thom Brennamen and Psycho Lyons.   Smiley

Would you rather take a brick to the face, or listen to Buck and McCarver for three hours?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:18:13 AM by Bank of America's Bankruptcy Papers » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 12:57:16 AM »

I hate Buck does the Fox game of the week for the NFL........ thank god for NFL Sunday Ticket.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 09:05:01 AM »

I consider myself blessed that those guys stay out east, and I get Thom Brennamen and Psycho Lyons.   Smiley

Would you rather take a brick to the face, or listen to Buck and McCarver for three hours?

Tough call.  The brick to the face is over quick...the Buck/McCarver torture (and even the Bush administration would agree with me on that, I'm sure) lasts for HOURS.

I think I might be tempted to take the brick....

Together again,
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »

So is this piece of crap still on?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 11:42:41 AM »

So is this piece of crap still on?
It's on but the next episode isn't scheduled for another couple months.  That's the way it was originally structured.  Not sure how the Costas show was run, but I thought the episodes were a lot more frequent than a couple monts apart.

Recently Artie went on The Michael Irvin show to discuss the appearance.  Here's the clips that were played on the Stern Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX_uDUYIMCU
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:46:13 AM by faldor » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: