Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose Interview With Del James
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose Interview With Del James  (Read 121831 times)
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #660 on: March 03, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »

ever imagined Axl working and singing on "Suckertrain Blues", "Slither" or "Falling To Pieces"?

his interview -again- sounds bitter and harsh in many ways, exspecially the hatred regarding to Slash. this surely must have been something he finally needed to get out of his chest, hope he feels better now and can move on.

My first reaction was like that. That it was harsh and bitter. But after thinking about it, I think it's more like Axl is going; "Ok, it's time to KILL this subject once and for all..."'

It's like he's shooting down the subject in these first interviews. So that, down the line, people/journalists/fans will start to finally understand that; 'well, no need to go there....'    Wink

Hmmm, looking at the new main headline on gunsnroses.com, I gues that's the message he's trying to get across...

Hope some of you people get it.... you know who you are....   Wink

Stavanger-rock-city!!
dyd
Headliner

« Reply #661 on: March 03, 2009, 07:06:07 PM »

The rehearsals with [Dave] Abruzzesse and Pod as a duo were really cool

who is Pod  Huh
GNRFAN20
« Reply #662 on: March 03, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »

I think Axl will be doing more interviews this year to get out his thoughts.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #663 on: March 03, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »

The rehearsals with [Dave] Abruzzesse and Pod as a duo were really cool

who is Pod  Huh

who's pod?

My guess is Chris Vrenna....

Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #664 on: March 03, 2009, 07:48:48 PM »

when were they in gnr? i never heard of that before the interview... footage of those rehearsals or recordings should be priceless...

Chinese Democracy!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #665 on: March 03, 2009, 07:53:40 PM »

when were they in gnr? i never heard of that before the interview... footage of those rehearsals or recordings should be priceless...

After they got rid off that ham handed drummer.

1996-1997 I believe.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #666 on: March 03, 2009, 09:48:48 PM »

1996-1997 I believe.

/jarmo

You mean the Jack ass   A.K.A Matt Sorum ?! hihi

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #667 on: March 03, 2009, 11:27:06 PM »

1996-1997 I believe.

/jarmo

matt scrotum?
Annie
« Reply #668 on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »

1996-1997 I believe.

/jarmo

matt scrotum?
I never liked that guy.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #669 on: March 03, 2009, 11:36:03 PM »

Brain and Frank are both far superior.  That is for sure.
Annie
« Reply #670 on: March 03, 2009, 11:39:17 PM »

Brain and Frank are both far superior.  That is for sure.
I totally agree and they are not so sleazy.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #671 on: March 04, 2009, 12:39:09 AM »

ever imagined Axl working and singing on "Suckertrain Blues", "Slither" or "Falling To Pieces"?

his interview -again- sounds bitter and harsh in many ways, exspecially the hatred regarding to Slash. this surely must have been something he finally needed to get out of his chest, hope he feels better now and can move on.

My first reaction was like that. That it was harsh and bitter. But after thinking about it, I think it's more like Axl is going; "Ok, it's time to KILL this subject once and for all..."'

It's like he's shooting down the subject in these first interviews. So that, down the line, people/journalists/fans will start to finally understand that; 'well, no need to go there....'    Wink

Could be.  I think it's unlikely to happen, though.  People/journalists/fans will still go there.   It's a subject that will probably come up in interviews for a long time to come.  I think it will take a long time to kill the subject once and for all.   
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #672 on: March 04, 2009, 01:34:51 AM »

1996-1997 I believe.

/jarmo

matt scrotum?

One more, one more!  Grin

Matt Bore 'em Sorum!

beer
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #673 on: March 04, 2009, 01:53:13 AM »

1996-1997 I believe.

/jarmo

matt scrotum?

One more, one more!  Grin

Matt Bore 'em Sorum!

beer

He's a Dillweed.  Smiley

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #674 on: March 04, 2009, 03:21:24 AM »

don't waste your time, clustering up this topic about how you wish your top hat hero was still in the band.

Don't think anybody really wants this. Smiley

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #675 on: March 04, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »

Outside of the impossible bucket/bumble solos though, the rock riffs are pretty basic is what I am getting at.

I think this is an oversimplification and I'll challenge it from a musical standpoint.

Take a song like Better. Though the single chords and riffs are pretty basic, I dare you to analyze the rhythm and syncopation.  Riads is another prime example of this.  You could learn the chords and riffs if you single them out, but try and work out the timing of them within a band structure; it would take a long while.  This is what happens when you work with really great drummers.  When I first learned that Brain was on this album, I wanted it even more, because I had some knowledge of his playing with Primus and other projects with Bucket.  He is not only studied, but has the flair and attitude needed to be a Gunner.

Axl's genius moves on this album were finding a level headed, solid bassist, drummers with full knowledge of syncopation and that could also hit hard, and of course recruiting some of the most inventive guitarists in the biz today.  Pitman is the icing on the cake sonically.  Reed is just flat out a good keyboard player and the use of piano is the real difference maker between AFD leading up to CD.

This is why the touring end is going to be a huge challenge, because these musicians have and had a lot going for them outside of Gn'R.  You just have to hope the stars align where the majority of the players on the album can commit 100%.  You really want these guys because they had stake in writing the material, and that in itself raises your performance level.  There is no feeling like getting a crowd off on something you create.

Chicago 11/15/11
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #676 on: March 04, 2009, 09:21:56 AM »

^ I agree with you, but there's some just small tidbits..

Take a song like Better. Though the single chords and riffs are pretty basic, I dare you to analyze the rhythm and syncopation. 
True but, again, I don't think the riff and chords are pretty basic. A lot of people misheard it as simple, but in fact they are some cool and intricated stuff which uses a lot of the dynamics of dissonation (sp?) and the harmonics of the distortion. Not quite simple as many put it on almost all the TABs and YouTube recordings.

Riads is another prime example of this.  You could learn the chords and riffs if you single them out, but try and work out the timing of them within a band structure; it would take a long while. 
Very true. Also, Riad's riffs in the first part are kinda different from the second part (which has wicked funky wha guitar in the background). And the chorus has some really nice chords along with Robin's riffs (and also some licks by Bumblefoot).

This is what happens when you work with really great drummers.  When I first learned that Brain was on this album, I wanted it even more, because I had some knowledge of his playing with Primus and other projects with Bucket.  He is not only studied, but has the flair and attitude needed to be a Gunner.
True too, but let's not forget Josh Freese - who arranged the best drumming on the album in Riad and TWAT.

Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #677 on: March 04, 2009, 09:46:49 AM »

in fact they are some cool and intricated stuff which uses a lot of the dynamics of dissonation (sp?) and the harmonics of the distortion.
True too, but let's not forget Josh Freese - who arranged the best drumming on the album in Riad and TWAT.

Hell Yeah!  Nice to know someone on the board thinks about this type of stuff.  I really appreciate your take on this.

Josh Freese is in the same boat as Ron Thal for me prior to picking up the album, someone I knew nothing about.  I'll take some time to check out his history.  The stuff I'm learning about Ron has up'd my respect for his playing immensely.

Thanks Voodoo!

*** BTW, just did my Freese homework and *gulp*.  The Vandals, A Perfect Circle, NIN, fucking DEVO!!!  This guy is off the chain!  He reminds me of Steven Perkins from Jane's Addiction.  SLAMMIN!***
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:03:56 AM by Layflats » Logged

Chicago 11/15/11
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #678 on: March 04, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »

He is not only studied, but has the flair and attitude needed to be a Gunner.

In addition, brain's got a sick sense of humour and fun.  Kiss

about those who try to put down the album, don't waste your words on them.  

like axl says if you don't like cd, then you probably won't like the succeeding ones.

Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #679 on: March 05, 2009, 02:34:59 AM »

Layflats and Voodoo -- great posts!

I always thought the songwriting and musicianship on CD walks a brilliantly fine line. There's so much talent on display and yet there's a seeminly conscious effort to channel that into a straight rock record, pop sensibility and all. The songs are so unique, and there's so much in them, and yet there also tight as hell. Almost every song suits a passive listener just as well as an active listener, and i think that comes from the incredible talent of the band coupled with the effort we all know went into making it right. CD is a statement in so many ways.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: