Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:14:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Ring Question
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ring Question  (Read 4364 times)
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« on: September 10, 2008, 08:14:41 PM »

Hi all,

I plan on asking my girlfriend to marry me in the near future. However, I don't know the first thing about buying a ring.

What kind to get, where to get it, how much to spend. Any of you who have done this before, or any who have been asked before, I would really appreciate some guidance in this area.

Thanks!

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:39:41 PM »

one ring to rule them all.....

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »

Rings are over-rated...just pull a Tommy and Pam and get ring tattoos  ok

Axl is God.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »

If you've got a good woman (in my eyes) the cost of the ring is not important.  It's what goes into the ring that's important.  I worked the graveyard shift at a factory in addition to my various day-time jobs for 3 or 4 months to earn the money to get a nice ring.  Sacrifice.  Hard work.  That ring means a lot to both of us.  My suggestion is to make it mean something.  That's what I did.

Cost?  Don't break the bank.  Ten years ago I was making about $6/hour.  What's the solution when money's tight?  Work more hours.  Smiley  Don't buy anything on credit.  In the long-run you'll both appreciate that!

Good luck and congrats man!   beer   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 11:10:22 PM »

Hi all,

I plan on asking my girlfriend to marry me in the near future. However, I don't know the first thing about buying a ring.

What kind to get, where to get it, how much to spend. Any of you who have done this before, or any who have been asked before, I would really appreciate some guidance in this area.

Thanks!

Good luck!

Emerald cut diamonds look larger (by weight) than some other shapes.  Something about most of the diamond's mass being concentrated up top, where visible.  So, if she's open to something other than the usual shape (round), there's a thought to maximize your perceived size/$$$. 

Does she know this is (eventually) coming?  If so, then it's ok to talk with her about it.  If not, I can understand wanting to surprise.  But you still want to get her something she'll like, and the shape will be key.  Try to find ways to slip it into the conversation.  "I've always really liked my mother's ring....blah blah blah"  Try to get something out of her so you're not shooting blind.  The general shape she appreciates is important, but also the presentation.  Solitaires are those rings with a plain gold band, featuring the diamond alone.  But some rings have extra, smaller stones around the main one.  Just depends on her style, but I'd say the solitaire is the "classic" style, so if she has tastes that appreciate something beautiful but not over the top, that's the way to go.  But it depends entirely on her tastes.  If she has other rings (particularly a favorite), you might use them as a guide.

As for money...don't be cheap, but don't put yourself in financial trouble. 

And avoid internet purchases, unless you're VERY sure about the place you're getting it from!

But the net is good for info, so you know what to look for, since diamonds are classified in a number of ways (color, weight, cut, clarity...).  Know the lingo, and you can't get screwed over. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:33:13 AM »

They (for the record, people with more money than me) say that it's supposed to be 2 months worth of salary.

So, if you work at McDonlad's....hello $500 ring!!!! I kid, I kid.

Anyway, yeah, tradition or whatever says 2 months....apparently.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 01:28:45 AM »

They (for the record, people with more money than me) say that it's supposed to be 2 months worth of salary.

So, if you work at McDonlad's....hello $500 ring!!!! I kid, I kid.

Anyway, yeah, tradition or whatever says 2 months....apparently.

I think "they" say its THREE months.   Undecided

i say put the money to use instead of into a rock.... use the money you'd blow on a ring towards a down payment on a house or something. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 02:10:11 AM »

How are you going to ask her?

And leave it to Axl4Prez to have a romantic story.

love

If I believed in marriage and having kids, I would want to be just like you!

(Gunner One 84, I can't believe you're gonna ask a girl to marry you!  It was not too long ago you came to us with female troubles!)

Good luck!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »

I' m sorry to hear that.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 03:34:43 AM »

If you've got a good woman (in my eyes) the cost of the ring is not important.  It's what goes into the ring that's important.  I worked the graveyard shift at a factory in addition to my various day-time jobs for 3 or 4 months to earn the money to get a nice ring.  Sacrifice.  Hard work.  That ring means a lot to both of us.  My suggestion is to make it mean something.  That's what I did.

Cost?  Don't break the bank.  Ten years ago I was making about $6/hour.  What's the solution when money's tight?  Work more hours.  Smiley  Don't buy anything on credit.  In the long-run you'll both appreciate that!

so, did you ever thought about stealing one?

u know

from the dead.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Nightfall
The Evil Dutchess
VIP

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 05:32:48 AM »

Why are ppl only talking about diamonds? you could have alot of other great gems in a ring for an engagement ring..anyway just my opinion..

Try to get some pictures of rings you like (of like certain parts of) and go to a goldsmith for some designs, usually they are cheaper then the jewellers and can work with your budget to get the best value for money and still have a great and unique ring.

Nightfall On Tour 2012:
NY: Februari 10 & 12
France: June 5, 11, 14 & 19
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 05:57:16 AM »

A platinum solitaire is a good choice if you can afford it. Gold is now passe.

Fuck 'Em All.
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 07:30:53 AM »

A platinum solitaire is a good choice if you can afford it. Gold is now passe.

a card game?

$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:32:07 AM »

u know

from the dead.

hihi then you would really have a story to tell.

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 09:36:52 AM »

u know

from the dead.

hihi then you would really have a story to tell.

girl: wow, is that your grandmother ring?

Axl4Prez: well, it was somebody's grandmother....

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 10:04:23 AM »

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 01:18:55 AM »

love

(Gunner One 84, I can't believe you're gonna ask a girl to marry you!  It was not too long ago you came to us with female troubles!)

Good luck!

I haven't quite decided on how I will ask her yet. It won't happen until sometime around the New Year, I'm just trying to figure this process out a little. I've never been to a wedding, had a friend get engaged, etc, so I don't even know where to begin, where to go, etc.

She's an amazing girl, but there is no way I'm getting away without a diamond, and quite frankly, for her, I don't want anything less.

But this is all new and intimidating, to be sure.

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 05:17:19 AM »

love

Good luck!

I haven't quite decided on how I will ask her yet. It won't happen until sometime around the New Year, I'm just trying to figure this process out a little. I've never been to a wedding, had a friend get engaged, etc, so I don't even know where to begin, where to go, etc.

She's an amazing girl, but there is no way I'm getting away without a diamond, and quite frankly, for her, I don't want anything less.

But this is all new and intimidating, to be sure.

just get her a replica Cheesy

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 09:28:10 AM »

Go to a pawn shop, your dollar will stretch a lot farther. My wife actually encouraged me to do this since I'd get "more bang for my buck" ( pun intended)  rofl

You can't tell the difference between a new and used diamond!  ok

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 09:37:38 AM »

First avoid mall jewlery stores... you will be ripped off. (higher price, lower quality)

Depending on your area, you should have a "Jewlers Building"... you don't need to buy it there, but I would do your research there.

Another great place to get a good education on diamonds is bluenile.com... again you don't have to buy there, but you will learn alot and get a good idea of what to expect price wise.

Start to ask around locally for reputable jewlers, they are your best bet for good price and quality... also depending on your living situation get this thing insured (would have to go on home owners or renters insurance)... which means getting a good appraisal (which you won't get at the mall)

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 10:18:16 AM »

First avoid mall jewlery stores... you will be ripped off. (higher price, lower quality)

Absolutely correct! Those guys are like vultures.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »

Go to a pawn shop, your dollar will stretch a lot farther. My wife actually encouraged me to do this since I'd get "more bang for my buck" ( pun intended)  rofl

The regular person may not but a diamond seller or reputable Jewler can.  They can tell by the way the diamond is cut.  Obviously with the technology a diamond is cut differently then in the past.  I agree that you can get a diamond at a pawn shop cheaper but just make sure you get it appraised and insured. 

Good Luck with everything to Gunner...

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 12:10:24 PM »

Absolutely correct! Those guys are like vultures.

Thirded.  Don't know about price, but quality goes down the shitter.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »

What would a good way to tell a reputable jeweler be? Go to a local independently owned store?

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 01:29:03 PM »

The regular person may not but a diamond seller or reputable Jewler can.  They can tell by the way the diamond is cut.  Obviously with the technology a diamond is cut differently then in the past.  I agree that you can get a diamond at a pawn shop cheaper but just make sure you get it appraised and insured. 

My wife cant tell, and that is what counts!

No, seriously, my brother-in -law is the manager there and he has some type of jewler license or certification so I did pretty good - he was not going to let me get his sister a shitty diamond!

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 01:47:51 PM »

What would a good way to tell a reputable jeweler be? Go to a local independently owned store?

Independently owned stores tend to be your best bet, but I would ask people all over your area for recomendations.

The independent stores tend to get much less exposure than the mall stores, so to stay in business (for what tends to be generations) they have to survive off of their reputations. Unfortunatly the mall stores just live off of their name and basic foot traffic.

One more thing to stress... I know I already mentioned it, but I saw someone else bring it up. After you pick something out and buy it, go get it appraised and insured.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 10:48:58 PM »

My wife cant tell, and that is what counts!

No, seriously, my brother-in -law is the manager there and he has some type of jewler license or certification so I did pretty good - he was not going to let me get his sister a shitty diamond!

I'm so paranoid I would get a new one anyway.

I would figure that my fiance/wife would go get it checked out just to ruin the marriage.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: