Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Anyone have any tips on recovering stolen merchandise?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone have any tips on recovering stolen merchandise?  (Read 3208 times)
Sterlingdog
« on: October 05, 2005, 11:10:48 PM »

My friend just had almost everything she owns stolen out of a storage unit.  Long story as to why it was there, but basically it was some valuable antique furniture that had been in her family for generations, also clothes, other personal stuff, yearbooks, china, linens, etc.

I know she doesn't have much hope in getting it back, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on finding stuff like this.  The only suggestion I've had so far was to start checking garage sales for the furniture.  Does anyone have any experience with theft like this?  I feel really bad for her and I just want to help if I can.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:17:40 AM »

Sorry about your friend. Sad

Pawn shops.....

They kind of person that would do this would run to the pawn shop I think. Or antique store ?

Did she have rental insurance on it? Or an umbrella policy to cover this loss? (crosses fingers)

Did she ID these items in anyway? Serial numbers or anything?

I have some things in storage out west and have them covered under my umbrella policy for this very reason. I also have two of those disc locks on it!

I've found the police are all but useless when things like this happen. I had an apartment broken into as a younger man, and they didn't even take finger prints. They just don't have the time or care.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 12:39:42 AM »

Check local pawn shops.

Your friend should file a police report, if she hasn't already.

I hope she gets her furniture back.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 12:43:29 AM »

I told her to make a list of the stolen stuff and I'd take her to the police to file the report tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I don't think the police go looking for stuff like that.  Its only if they are lucky enough to stumble on to it during a different bust.

I don't know about serial numbers or anything.  She did have insurance but we expect them to deny the claim, since the policy clearly states the unit must be locked, and the management is saying they found it unlocked.  Its possible she forgot to lock it, but she hadn't been there in 3 weeks, so who knows?

Do pawn shops have furniture?  I thought it was mostly jewelry and small appliances.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 12:46:03 AM »

They sell everything.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:38:07 AM »

I told her to make a list of the stolen stuff and I'd take her to the police to file the report tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I don't think the police go looking for stuff like that.  Its only if they are lucky enough to stumble on to it during a different bust.

I don't know about serial numbers or anything.  She did have insurance but we expect them to deny the claim, since the policy clearly states the unit must be locked, and the management is saying they found it unlocked.  Its possible she forgot to lock it, but she hadn't been there in 3 weeks, so who knows?

Do pawn shops have furniture?  I thought it was mostly jewelry and small appliances.

The mgt said it was unlocked? How do they know it wasn't broken by the person who stole it? I'd claim it was locked totally, 100 percent!!!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 02:43:59 PM »

I told her to make a list of the stolen stuff and I'd take her to the police to file the report tomorrow.? Unfortunately, I don't think the police go looking for stuff like that.? Its only if they are lucky enough to stumble on to it during a different bust.

I don't know about serial numbers or anything.? She did have insurance but we expect them to deny the claim, since the policy clearly states the unit must be locked, and the management is saying they found it unlocked.? Its possible she forgot to lock it, but she hadn't been there in 3 weeks, so who knows?

Do pawn shops have furniture?? I thought it was mostly jewelry and small appliances.
\

Ditto, I'd claim it was locked last time she left.? And she clearly remembers locking it.

Any sign of forced entry?? I mean, really....most people don't go poking through storage facilities to find unlocked units.? They just break 'em open or pick the locks.

OR...maybe it was an inside job.? She left it unlocked, the management or one of their employees (who DO sometimes do lock checks for a variety of reasons) found it unlocked...and decided to help themselves.? The thing is, they have 2 choices in this:

1) Accept her assertion it was locked

or

2) Say they found it unlocked prior to the robbery.? If they do that, they are, first of all, going to become suspects.? Second, they may make themselves liable for the loss if they didn't attempt to contact her and notify her the unit was unlocked.? Not sure on that one.

Keep us posted...

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Sterlingdog
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 04:23:53 PM »

I guess I misunderstood her before.  The management is saying that the lock was on the door, locked, but the door wasn't closed all the way, which of course makes the lock useless.  It sat like that for at least 2-3 weeks before they found it doing checks at the beginning of the month.  So if she tells the insurance people that, there's no way they will cover it.

I also told her to say it was locked and shut, and she doesn't know how it happened.  But she's reluctant to do that, she just accepts that she's the one who blew it and failed to shut the door. 

I was suspicious of the employees, but how could anyone be sure who did it?  They only have cameras on the front gate.  The odd thing is that some of the stuff was very very large and probably only could have been taken out in a moving van. 
Surfrider
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 05:23:05 PM »

A lot of time those storage units have disclaimers on liability that aren't valid.  I would probably try to challenge it though that avenue.  I am not sure what kind of contract she signed or the waiver provision therein, but there is often ways around these things.  Especially with intentional torts where there had been prior evidence of similar acts occuring.
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 09:20:19 AM »

Maybe your friend has someone in her private life who could have unlocked the door ?

Sorry, but paranoid today but i was just told my bank account was stolen from and by someone who probably has access to my personal details ( meaning very FEW people)

Nothing to say
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 09:39:28 AM »

I guess I misunderstood her before.? The management is saying that the lock was on the door, locked, but the door wasn't closed all the way, which of course makes the lock useless.? It sat like that for at least 2-3 weeks before they found it doing checks at the beginning of the month.? So if she tells the insurance people that, there's no way they will cover it.

I also told her to say it was locked and shut, and she doesn't know how it happened.? But she's reluctant to do that, she just accepts that she's the one who blew it and failed to shut the door.?

I was suspicious of the employees, but how could anyone be sure who did it?? They only have cameras on the front gate.? The odd thing is that some of the stuff was very very large and probably only could have been taken out in a moving van.?

\

I'd still say that I clearly remembered shutting and locking the door.

The insurance company is going to have a hard time proving otherwise, if what you say is true (ie: no real video security of the area). 

Then, the obvious conclusion is that, whoever took the stuff, left the door open on their way out.

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: