Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:58:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shackler's Revenge Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 105 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shackler's Revenge Discussion  (Read 466508 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1660 on: September 15, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »

take it easy. no rash eventually shackler will be your boy, your 21st century boy. Wink
DoctorNo
Headliner

... but at least there's a reaction.

« Reply #1661 on: September 15, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »

Does Rock Band 2 have a jukebox ?

And if so can some record it off there instead of trying to play it ?  Grin

It was SUPPOSED to.

I haven't found it yet, though.

Anyone else?

It is not in the retail build. According to Harmonix (via the ign review), it was in the early build we all saw at E3, but pulled from the final game because they wanted to make sure "was as good it can be." That implies that it could be added in a patch; but given their history with such things (online tour was slated for RB1 via a patch, but never made it), I think the jukebox is gone.

There is a "manual" way around it, though; found this on the RB forums. Sorry I don't have a link (for this or the ign quote above), but I'm too busy. The poster who suggested this on the RB forums was v0lum3.

Performance mode cheat: Enabled

No fail mode cheat: Enabled

Crowd volume: 0

Vocal quick play

Make a playlist and...

Enjoy the show

It sucks not hearing the crowd, but if you don't turn them down they boo

Anyone interested in a "Matchup" thread for putting together bands in RB2, for Schacklers?

Maybe in the Jungle?

We could post our ID's, "local" band members, what we might be looking for, when, and skill level?

Just a thought...

Good idea.

-------------

On the song: I dig it, but some of you people have to let up on those who don't, and maybe dial down the hyperbole a bit. There are a few trolls in here (there always are), and sure, let em have it; but I think some of the super-positive reactions to this song are built on our collective desperation to hear the album. Shotgun blues noted that there's a contingent among NIN fans who won't like anything under the GNR banner just because it's Axl. It goes both ways. You can love the song, certainly, but let's not rip honest people who simply aren't as drawn to it.

I love the musicianship, but honestly, I'm a little disappointed in the overall structure. The verses are very thin, and the chorus is repeated perhaps too often. This is particularly surprising, since the rest of the Chinese Democracy era catalog is so lyrically dense. I'm not asking for another seven minutes, or a lot of narrative exposition: I love the ambiguous and emotional nature of the lyrics. I just think it could use one more verse quartet (we're talking, what, fifteen seconds?) and maybe some alternative chorus lyrics during just one of the refrains.

But the layered vocals are fucking awesome (and relatively untouched, in terms of obvious effects, like we heard on OMG) and the guitar work (regardless of who's playing what) is all killer. And it definitely the hardest rocker we've heard from the new material. I hope this is a real indication of the musical direction the band is taking. I'd rather have more of these (mean, four minute rockers) than longer dramatic pieces like Madagascar, or ballads like The Blues. There's a place for all of it, of course, but I really love the vibe in Shackler's.

Sweet tune, and I look forward to playing to playing this a thousand times.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:38:25 PM by DoctorNo » Logged

I guess I'll keep it to myself.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #1662 on: September 15, 2008, 04:46:06 PM »

I love the musicianship, but honestly, I'm a little disappointed in the overall structure. The verses are very thin, and the chorus is repeated perhaps too often. This is particularly surprising, since the rest of the Chinese Democracy era catalog is so lyrically dense. I'm not asking for another seven minutes, or a lot of narrative exposition: I love the ambiguous and emotional nature of the lyrics. I just think it could use one more verse quartet (we're talking, what, fifteen seconds?) and maybe some alternative chorus lyrics during just one of the refrains.

Great post overall. I have to say though that Shackler's relative "lyrical simplicity" is one of the reasons I really like it as a "change of pace" compared to the other lyrically "denser" Chinese Democracy tracks we have heard thus far. In that sense it kind of fits in as a 2008 "Think About You" or "Yesterdays" IMHO. Not the greatest most intense songs GN'R has ever done by any stretch but definitely cool songs that I believe most of us love hearing as a "bridge" between the deeper songs on AFD and UYI respectively. Shackler's should fit in comfortably in that role on CD IMHO. Just more evidence that this will be a pretty diverse album with at least one song for everybody when all is said and done IMHO.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
DoctorNo
Headliner

... but at least there's a reaction.

« Reply #1663 on: September 15, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »

Great post overall. I have to say though that Shackler's relative "lyrical simplicity" is one of the reasons I really like it as a "change of pace" compared to the other lyrically "denser" Chinese Democracy tracks we have heard thus far. In that sense it kind of fits in as a 2008 "Think About You" or "Yesterdays" IMHO. Not the greatest most intense songs GN'R has ever done by any stretch but definitely cool songs that I believe most of us love hearing as a "bridge" between the deeper songs on AFD and UYI respectively. Shackler's should fit in comfortably in that role on CD IMHO. Just more evidence that this will be a pretty diverse album with at least one song for everybody when all is said and done IMHO.

Oh, good point - and to clarify (if it wasn't obvious) I love the song, and I'm certainly not suggesting everything axl writes should be as dense as Estranged or Coma. (In fact, I cringe when I see personal "best of" lists that contain only GNR songs over 8 minutes.) For me - and I speak only for me, obviously - it's *this close* to being a masterpiece. One more pass at the lyrics, maybe while Axl waited at a red light in his lambo, is all it would take.

(Assuming here that Axl stops at red lights. Smiley )

I guess I'll keep it to myself.
GeraldFord
« Reply #1664 on: September 15, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »

I?m trying not to overanalyze the song?I like it. Kinda simple. 
CVBTank
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1665 on: September 15, 2008, 06:38:51 PM »

My scattered thoughts on the song...

I didn't expect to hear Appetite or even Use Your Illusion when I pressed play.  If there is one thing Guns N Roses fans should know, its that the sound is progressive, and the leaks gave everyone a little taste of that.

That being said, the openning is too industrial for my taste.  The baritone, like much of the rest of the track, has grown on me but I think, at times, it overpowers Axl's vocals.

The hook is extraordinarily catchy, and  this is the rare rock song you can dance to (if you feel so inclined). 

The solo just doesn't do it for me.  I know thats some impressive shredding, but it feels totally out of place, as if it were cut and pasted from another track.  I'm not a musician, but as a fan I prefer for the solos to feel like they grew out of the song, rather then as though they were inserted because the song needed a solo.

The track is growing me, and while its not the anthem or mind-blowing song I was hoping for I'm certainly interested to see what sound we'll hear on CD.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1666 on: September 15, 2008, 06:54:11 PM »

My scattered thoughts on the song...

I didn't expect to hear Appetite or even Use Your Illusion when I pressed play.  If there is one thing Guns N Roses fans should know, its that the sound is progressive, and the leaks gave everyone a little taste of that.

That being said, the openning is too industrial for my taste.  The baritone, like much of the rest of the track, has grown on me but I think, at times, it overpowers Axl's vocals.

The hook is extraordinarily catchy, and  this is the rare rock song you can dance to (if you feel so inclined). 

The solo just doesn't do it for me.  I know thats some impressive shredding, but it feels totally out of place, as if it were cut and pasted from another track.  I'm not a musician, but as a fan I prefer for the solos to feel like they grew out of the song, rather then as though they were inserted because the song needed a solo.

The track is growing me, and while its not the anthem or mind-blowing song I was hoping for I'm certainly interested to see what sound we'll hear on CD.

I like this review. Very honest and nice and in depth.

I have had one gripe about the leaks and that is the guitar solos etc. I feel they dont always match Axl's intensity/emotion etc.

For me, Shackler's and Better are the only two where I feel they got it right. 

I think the shredding in SHackler's serves the song and fits in perfectly with what the song is and I actually get a charge out of it.

I always felt the solos are great in the fast songs but lack in the slower songs.

Shackler's, I hated it first listen. I remember saying "What the hell is this shit?"

But after a couple of listens I was hooked and as I've said, it is my favorite of the new batch.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #1667 on: September 15, 2008, 07:18:46 PM »

If I don't have the game, how can I go about listening to this song?? I tried to find it on Youtube, but the results that came up were only a minute long or extremely poor quality.

Here Today . . .
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #1668 on: September 15, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »

great song, great vocals, great guitars.  BUUUT will it be available on ITUNES?!
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1669 on: September 15, 2008, 07:29:34 PM »

Shackler's is definitely the simplest of the new songs and probably the catchiest which is why I think it would make a good single if they elected to release it.  The lyrics are simple, straight forward and easy to understand.  The pre-chorus/hook is incredibly catchy and so is the chorus.  I definitely understand why some people don't like the solo, but I think it fits the song.  It's a crazy solo that's not exactly the most melodic but it sounds mean and there's a lot of energy to it.  The rhythm section during the solo kicks a ton of ass

Also this is by far the best of the new songs for the video game so people shouldn't lose sight of that.  I'm sure that played a major role in why they used it in Rock Band
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #1670 on: September 15, 2008, 07:49:49 PM »

Just heard Shackler here:
http://www.htzfm.com/

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Vitor_Icewall
Headliner

Chinese Democracy!!

« Reply #1671 on: September 15, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »

great song, great vocals, great guitars.  BUUUT will it be available on ITUNES?!

it should be on Itunes! I dont think its fair when some people can hear an oficial GNR song and some others, who doesnt have a xbox, can't!

Also, I think its good for GNR to have an oficial song now... People will know that gnr is alive n they'll be ready to receive a single later!

GNR can't miss this chance!

Chinese Democracy

Cause it would take a lot more hate than you
To end the fascination
Even with your iron fist
More than you got to rule the nation
When I all I've got is precious time
Vitor_Icewall
Headliner

Chinese Democracy!!

« Reply #1672 on: September 15, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »

Is it a same version of rb2? i want hear it! lol

Chinese Democracy

Cause it would take a lot more hate than you
To end the fascination
Even with your iron fist
More than you got to rule the nation
When I all I've got is precious time
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #1673 on: September 15, 2008, 09:28:33 PM »

Shackler's is definitely the simplest of the new songs
Not the solo, though. Anyway, I think that CITR and Chinese Democracy are simpler. Smiley

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #1674 on: September 15, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »

Mysteron any info on a single for CD ? looks like Shacklers is just for Rockband 2.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1675 on: September 15, 2008, 11:14:28 PM »

After hearing a high quality version of the song  I have to say "Fucking good job"....    My first impressions of a dodgy recording were not good.   But hearing it loud and proud I'm loving it more than I thought I would.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #1676 on: September 15, 2008, 11:45:34 PM »

Probably been answered but who plays what on this song?

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1677 on: September 16, 2008, 12:38:02 AM »

Probably been answered but who plays what on this song?

peace
Nothing's been confirmed, but most believe Bumblefoot plays the solo at the end.  I think Buckethead plays most of the parts the first half of the song and while I don't hear much of Robin some people say he has some rhythm parts.  Brain plays drums, I would imagine since he co-wrote the song.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1678 on: September 16, 2008, 12:38:44 AM »

What'd they say about it?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #1679 on: September 16, 2008, 01:56:56 AM »

I am very excited and happy that guns n roses has a new song on rock band 2. But I am also very sad i can't hear it right now.  crying I'm now unable to get rb 2 for prolly a month or so because first it was money but than today my x-box did the 3 red lights of death. I have to send it in again. Thank god its still under warranty. Hopefully it is available for dl or something before a month or so from now. I don't want to wait that long.  crying smoking

edit: Yeah i've waited 9 years..but hell now its out and this is gonna be a long month till my 360 gets back to me.  crying smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 105 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: