Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Book says Souter mulled resignation after Bush v. Gore
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book says Souter mulled resignation after Bush v. Gore  (Read 1511 times)
GeraldFord
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »

One of the biggest injustices in my lifetime was Gore getting cheated out of the White House...

Book says Souter mulled resignation after Bush v. Gore
September 4, 1:18 AM

?The Nine?

According to Jeffrey Toobin?s new book on the Supreme Court, Justice David Souter nearly resigned in the 

wake of Bush v. Gore, so distraught was he over the decision that effectively ended the Florida recount and installed George W. Bush as president.

In ?The Nine,? which goes on sale Sept. 18, Toobin writes that while the other justices tried to put the case behind them, ?David Souter alone was shattered,? at times weeping when he thought of the case. ?For many months, it was not at all clear whether he would remain as a justice,? Toobin continues. ?That the Court met in a city he loathed made the decision even harder. At the urging of a handful of close friends, he decided to stay on, but his attitude toward the Court was never the same.?

Souter isn?t all despair in Toobin?s book, however. The author relates a story in which Souter played along with a stranger who mistook him for Justice Stephen Breyer. After the person asked him what the best thing about being on the court was, he replied: ?Well, I?d have to say it?s the privilege of serving with David Souter.?

A court spokeswoman could not be reached over the weekend.

http://www.examiner.com/blogs/Yeas_and_Nays/2007/9/4/Book-says-Souter-mulled-resignation-after-Bush-v-Gore
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »

I'm guessing that he realized that a resignation in protest, while symbolic, would have had the immediate effect of granting Bush a nominee, and when symbolic issues lead to real world consequences in the opposite direction, symbolism must suffer.

But if a Dem wins the Presidency, I'd not be surprised to see him go within the first 12-18 months.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: