Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:34:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Spectacle - VR on tour
| | | | |-+  Velvet Revolver Mullins Center Amherst Mass
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Velvet Revolver Mullins Center Amherst Mass  (Read 3681 times)
tomass74
Legend

« on: May 04, 2005, 01:28:10 PM »

What fucking show last night.? This has been the fourth one now and they keep getting better every time. That is the honest truth too. I was in section F if anyone was there... The place was only half full which I think was about 7,000 fans. The place didn't sell beer which kinda sucked but was also good at the same time..The crowd could have been better at times too but every one seemed to enjoy it and there were times when everyone went nuts. I had a couple beers and we brought in a little Captain Morgans but for the most part I was sober and actually remember the whole show... The started off with that Evil Kenevil thing which I really didn't get. The band was fucking tight last night though and were all over the fucking place.? Slash ran around like a maniac all night, the most I had seen him ever do.. Duff was also all over the place constanly jumping up on the drum risers.. They played 3 songs that I hadn't seen them play in the previous shows which was really cool too. Scott was AWESOME last night, he was hitting all these haronies and throwing in these cool octaves all night.

I am pretty sure this was the order of the setlist

Sucker Train Blues

Do it For The Kids

Headspace

Superhuman

Crackerman

Illegal I This is always one of the highlights for me, I love the song anyway but live they really do it up. The jam out for awhile during the middle breakdown and Slash does a long ass Voice Box solo which was awesome....

Fall To Pieces

Dirty Little Thing This song fucking rocked, it was the first time I got to see them play it live and I was pumped bacuse it's one of my favorites. I noticed Slash pl;ayed most of the solo down by the 12th fret. The tabs I had seen were alot different...

Big Machine

It's So Easy

Sex Type Thing I think the crowd went the most nuts for this one, STP is pretty big around here. There was a breakdown in the middle and Scott went through the crowd up into the lowell level seats and did a song along which was pretty cool.

Set Me Free They jammed out pretty damn hard in this song and Slash and Dave had some cool ass dueling guitar solos at the end. Props to Kushner, he had some stuff.

Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd Cover) This was fucking awesome. Slash was using a double neck and started it off with a little solo which was sweet. I hadn't ever seen them play this so it was another treat. They seem to have replaced this for Used To Love Her and to be honest, it was alot cooler.

You Got No Right Never saw them play this either and it was fucking intense and fit perfectly after WYWH.

Mr. Brownstone Cool intro

Slither Slither ruled. They jammed it out with some added parts and which was really cool. I know they always stretch it out, but this time I think was a tad longer...

Well, it was a great show and I assume it will be the last time I see them until they are touring for their next album..? Like I said they seem to have gotten tighter each show and really have gelled as a band. I can't wait to see what it's gonna be like next time around...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 02:36:56 PM by tomass74 » Logged

mike_giuliana
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 12:21:21 PM »

sounds great, can't wait for jone's beach... More people should just see them they are so amazing live..
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:00:51 PM »

This review is pretty dead on..

http://www.dailycollegian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/05/08/427eb38a55833

VR Hits UMass:

Early into Velvet Revolver's nearly two hour set at the Mullins Center on Tuesday night, a black curtain dropped down from behind the drums to reveal a huge sign that read "Rock & F---in' Roll". Just prior to that, frontman and former Stone Temple Pilots singer, Scott Weiland, announced that the night was all about, well, "Motherf---ing rock'n'roll." And as the band ripped through a blistering set that contained nearly all of their debut album, "Contraband," as well as a few choice covers, it was perfectly clear that Velvet Revolver had hit the mark. Of course, few in the audience expected less; along with Weiland, the band is comprised of Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, better known as the backing band of Guns 'n' Roses, and second guitarist Dave Kushner, who has bounced around between many bands during his career.

Though unlikely, the pairing of Weiland - who comes from one of the bands that defined the grunge revolution that was the antithesis of decadent stadium rock - and the band that backed Axl Rose - the man most representative of the pre-grunge rock scene - works surprisingly well. From the first notes of the opening song, "Sucker Train Blues," the band was full of unrelenting energy and an obvious joy to be on stage. Though Velvet Revolver may be a big-name stadium rock act, they seem to care much more about the music itself than most bands that make it to that level. This may be bombastic radio rock but it's certainly not one-dimensional "corporate rock."

While the musicianship, especially Slash's fiery solos and huge riffs, is not to be overlooked, on closer inspection it is Weiland's energy and lyrical depth that really makes Velvet Revolver something special. However, it is odd that Weiland himself seems to be the first to downplay the seriousness of his subject matter. An infamous recovering drug addict who has also struggled with alcohol and has nearly seen his marriage crumble, Weiland dedicated "Superhuman" to "Sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll and you nasty ladies. " Sound like a fist-pumping anthem? Well, musically it is, but the chorus is a simple, blunt statement about the pain of the generic rock lifestyle: "Cocaine, alcohol, lady-lay, withdrawal." Doesn't sound as much fun as Weiland's description.

While the ballad "Fall To Pieces," which is dominated by a very Guns 'n' Roses-sounding guitar line, was the requisite "sensitive" moment of the set, which was otherwise dominated by hard rockers, most of Weiland's lyrics are set in a similar tone. Whereas Stone Temple Pilots wrapped Weiland's struggles in either dirty grunge or delicately psychedelic pop, Velvet Revolver has determined that scuzzy arena-rock provides the best balance. While there is no use comparing the bands, Velvet Revolver is on to something; meatheads can mosh and throw up devil signs to the deafeningly loud music and people looking for something more can find it in Weiland's often cryptic lyrics.

While the band's combination of styles and moods seemed to please the crowd, a lot of the biggest cheers came when Velvet Revolver dipped into their respective back catalogues. Early into the set, the STP classic "Crackerman" was played to great delight. Later on, the Guns 'n' Roses rocker "It's So Easy" was met with an even higher level of elation. And though an encore performance of the Guns 'n' Roses song "Mr. Brownstone" was met with cheers and applause, it was the STP song "Sex Type Thing" that seemed to get the greatest reaction. The particularly epic rendition found Weiland making his way up to the stands, surrounded by security, of course, and leading the stadium in a chant of the narrator's predatory mantra: "Here I come, I come, I come, I come."

Covers aside, the band proved to be well-loved, as the crowd sang along to all the songs, including standouts like "Big Machine," "Do It For The Kids," and "Dirty Lil' Thing." It was in these songs especially that the juxtaposition of Weiland's vulnerable, confessional lyrics and the madcap energy of the music and the performers created a very unique and special atmosphere. Following "Set Me Free," the song that introduced the world to Velvet Revolver, the band left the stage before returning for an acoustic performance of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and their own song "You Got No Right," which, with its subtle instrumentation, sounds like it would be more at home alongside Weiland's solo work (he released the trippy, underrated "12 Bar Blues" in 1998.) Following another encore break, the band took the stage once again to perform "Mr. Brownstone" and their hit single "Slither," and the band indeed went out with a bang.

There was one weak spot in the night, however, aside from the aforementioned instance of Weiland seemingly disavowing his own lyrics, which came shortly before Velvet Revolver took the stage. While rock shows have long been tied to corporate sponsorship and other blatantly un-rock-'n'-roll activity, the organizers of the tour have very possibly hit a new low in advertising. Right before Velvet Revolver took the stage the hanging video screens began to flash images that shortly materialized into a 5-minute advertisement for Robbie Knievel's new show. The fact that the booming music behind it was Velvet Revolver, and the fact that the song was "Sucker Train Blues," which the band would start playing just a few minutes later, was more Spinal Tap funny then irritating.

While concertgoers have had to suck down subtler - and even not-so-subtle - advertisements, the practice of airing an actual commercial before a show is deplorable and very anti-rock. Velvet Revolver may not be indie-art-punks starting a revolution but nonetheless, they should be far above this type of corporate shilling. While the band's claim to be real rock music was backed up by great songs and a great performance, this sort of lame tie-in definitely put a dent in their bid for authenticity.

marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »

I had a couple beers and we brought in a little Captain Morgans but for the most part I was sober and actually remember the whole show... The started off with that Evil Kenevil thing which I really didn't get. The band was fucking tight last night though and were all over the fucking place.? Slash ran around like a maniac all night, the most I had seen him ever do.. Duff was also all over the place constanly jumping up on the drum risers.. They played 3 songs that I hadn't seen them play in the previous shows which was really cool too. Scott was AWESOME last night, he was hitting all these haronies and throwing in these cool octaves all night.

Well, it was a great show and I assume it will be the last time I see them until they are touring for their next album..? Like I said they seem to have gotten tighter each show and really have gelled as a band. I can't wait to see what it's gonna be like next time around...

Thanks for the reviews.
Im getting pumped, can't to see them next week.
You and I were both at that nu-GNR show in Boston back in 2002. Im expecting this show to be a whole lot better, starting with the appearance of the band (at the very very very least)

Mark N' Roses

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 12:42:25 AM »

Yeah, I have seen VR 4 times now and they were all better than the Boston Nu-GnR show.  The Nu-GnR show wasn't terrible but it just didn't do much for me although I thought Axl sounded great.  My buddy went with me to this show that was also at the Nu-GnR show and he liked this one better.  Just wish there were more people there for teh atmosphere..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 12:45:26 AM by tomass74 » Logged

ryba
Opening Act

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 05:34:25 AM »

Thanks for the review!!

Dirty Little Thing This song fucking rocked, it was the first time I got to see them play it live and I was pumped bacuse it's one of my favorites. I noticed Slash pl;ayed most of the solo down by the 12th fret. The tabs I had seen were alot different...

Have you seen this tab, Tomass? The solo here is well transcribed and goes like on the album (I've watched the official video to see the fingerings).

peace powertabs.net: G'N'R, Snakepit, Duff, Gilby and VR power tabs. Check'em out (and contribute) Smiley!
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 07:43:51 AM »

^^^^^^

Thanks,

I'll check it out   ok

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: