Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 08:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Life since 9/11/01
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life since 9/11/01  (Read 55715 times)
RichardNixon
« on: December 06, 2005, 08:17:40 PM »

I was reflecting the other day on what life and the world were like before September, 11, 2001. Something most definitely has changed since 9/11. It's more than just debates on TV or something you read about in the paper. I'm talking about perception, life for the ordinary civilians, otherwise completely removed from violence they see on TV. In small towns and cities, where most people live a life completely free of violence. Ever since 9/11, something has changed, in the air, it's kind of hard to explain. But things are not as they were. It's rather hard to articulate.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 08:30:34 PM »

I know what you mean.  Though some people don't seem affected by it.  But for me, like many people, it still plays into some of my thoughts and decisions.  Like when I went to Disneyland for Thanksgiving, there was a part of me questioning if it was smart to go at such a busy time, would it be more of a target etc.  I never would have thought of that 5 years ago. 

When 9/11 happened, I remember watching the news coverage and holding my daughter, who was about 1 at the time.  I just remember being so sad that the world she would grow up in would be forever changed by this tragedy. 
RichardNixon
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 08:36:50 PM »

Sometime in 02, a group of middle-eastern men got on the subway and were in my car. At the next stop I got off and got on another car. I feel ashamed for doing that, especially since I would like to think of myself as being so enlightened and forward thinking. But at that moment, this paranoia got hold of me. I never would have done that before 9/11. But with those pointless stupid code yellow, code orange homeland security levels, and out of fear, I was acting irrational and racist. 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 09:22:19 PM »

Well living in Canada I cant comment really but since 9/11 as a guy with long hair and a beard goin' on, I get alot of second glances like, is that guy a druggie/hippie/terrorist or what? People's prejudices, and misconceptions have definately gone through the roof since 9/11, some warranted, some not so much.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 02:19:19 AM »

I think before 9/11 most of America had a perception of being invincible.  That the horrible stuff we see on TV would never happen on American soil.  9/11 brought us back to earth and made us realize that bad shit can happen here too.  Kinda like when a drunk driver finally gets busted.  He thinks it'll never happen to him, then when it does he realizes it can happen to anyone.  It'll always be there in the back of your mind in certain situations.  I had a situation similar to yours, RichardNixon.  I was on an airplane and a couple mid-eastern guys were sitting in the seats in front of me.  I'll admit it made me kinda uneasy.  I know there's no excuse for thinking that way, since these dudes were just regular guys minding their own business.  But I don't know if those kinda thoughts will ever go away.  It sucks for all the mideastern people in this country who are just as American as the next person.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 08:27:59 AM »

One of the first things I wished that never happened was the 9/11/01 tragedy. I remember it happened like the week before we moved out of our home we had for like 14 years, it was the best memory of my childhood. Yeah the world has changed so much since then , it was a very depressing time for everyone.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 08:50:52 AM »

I don't see any difference - terrorists still blow chunks out of our capital as they always have, America still rampages around the world and pollution just gets worse

Same as ever

Quick! To the bandwagon!
shades
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 11:09:26 AM »

Theres a big difference.
It was a wake up call.
And some of us woke up.
Others choose to think it wont happen again and being on the offensive is wrong.

If there is another attack, Im thinking if it hit the Democratic National Convention how poetic that would be.
But life doesnt work that way.
Would probably be another random group of people including those for trying to prevent it.

Bustin Flat in Baton Rouge
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »

same as ever.

the only difference is that *we* - the rich- got hit real bad.
it wasn't about that african kid anymore.

i have to admit that people got dumber than ever after that tragic event.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 12:59:05 PM »

If there is another attack, Im thinking if it hit the Democratic National Convention how poetic that would be.

So........you are advocating an attack on America?

TRAITOR.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 01:42:27 PM »

No, Shades, I would not call that thinking.  Yeehaww lets kill alll those who disagree!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 04:55:31 PM »

No, Shades, I would not call that thinking.  Yeehaww lets kill alll those who disagree!

If it could have doubled Halliburton's stock they would have found a way to do it, trust me.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 06:03:30 PM »

So........you are advocating an attack on America?

TRAITOR.

No one (at least on this forum) is advocating that the terrorist attack America - well, save Izzy because it works for their culture.  The point Shades was trying to make (and I agree with) is that when anothr attack happens on American soil, and it will, wouldn't it be poetic justice if the attack was on the DNC?  The people who have done least to aide the war on terror and whose staunchest supporters (and I use that somewhat loosely since the DNC would denounce many of you extremists) have faught every proactive and prudent initiative to prevent those who would attack America from getting in - all under the defense of racism.  Kind of like the tragedy that occured in liberally ran New Orleans.  When they refused to prepare and execute evacuation plans, rather than fess up and accept responsibility everyone blamed Bush.  Sadly the same thing would happen if those bastards attacked America again, Bush would be to blame for it all in your minds.  no
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 06:17:47 PM »

No one (at least on this forum) is advocating that the terrorist attack America - well, save Izzy

Kindly find where i said that.

Now when i ridicule your nonsense, you can bet its personal

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 06:37:27 PM »

One of the first things I wished that never happened was the 9/11/01 tragedy. I remember it happened like the week before we moved out of our home we had for like 14 years, it was the best memory of my childhood. Yeah the world has changed so much since then , it was a very depressing time for everyone.
i bolded those words incase people thought I was saying 9/11 was the best memory, my bad.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 09:42:19 PM »

No one (at least on this forum) is advocating that the terrorist attack America - well, save Izzy

Kindly find where i said that.

Now when i ridicule your nonsense, you can bet its personal

Izzy you'll never be able to ridicule me becuase you support racism and sexism and atrocious human rights just as long as the culture excersising them isn't western.? The cruelty and suffering minorities go through in these nations is nothing short of the same terrorism they wish to bring to America.

I refer to this thread and my reply to your comment that you never refuted - well because it appears from other comments you've made and your silence that you endorse it:? http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=23842.msg419910#msg419910
SLCPUNK
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 01:43:31 AM »

I refer to this thread and my reply to your comment that you never refuted - well because it appears from other comments you've made and your silence that you endorse it:  http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=23842.msg419910#msg419910

Stop telling people what "they think" or "must think" because they don't care to speak to an imbecile.

Shades is a traitor because he condones an attack on US citizens, and so are you.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 01:47:35 AM »

i have to admit that people got dumber than ever after that tragic event.

They sure have!

.... wouldn't it be poetic justice if the attack was on the DNC?  The people who have done least to aide the war on terror and whose staunchest supporters (and I use that somewhat loosely since the DNC would denounce many of you extremists) have faught every proactive and prudent initiative to prevent those who would attack America from getting in - all under the defense of racism.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 02:02:38 AM »

Hey Richard I know what u are saying and Dont feel bad, I did the same thing a month or two ago and I feel like such a dipshit.

I was at the gym working out and afterwards I got into the Sauna.

This islamic lookin dude got in the sauna with me and the said something bout leaving his shorts in his trunk.

He left something in the sauna with me, it was a towel with some sort of bulge under it.

Needless to say I thought i was getting suicide bombed for a minute.

I feel like such a dumbass now, but I let my imagination get the best of me.

Shades that was the most idiotic thing Ive ever read, seriously sayin shit like that isnt cool at all.

I dont know how much Dems are sabotaging the war, i dont really endorse any Democrat who tries to say we are DEFEATED.

I think that is an idiotic statement and not good for the morale of the troops.

I am a democrat believe it or not but I dont support Murtha, I sure as hell dont support Howard Dean *dems need to drop this guy if they want to win* and I dont support John Kerry, Mr Opinion but no solution guy.

Thing about Kerry is, He could be telling the 100 percent truth but to me he comes off sounding like a bitter,sore loser. that of course is my opinion.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
lastroots
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 06:30:14 AM »

Sure the death of 3000 innocent people was a tragedy. But it was a wakeup call, still the people did not wake up, but let their president instrumentalise that event to proceed doing the things that provoked 9/11.

It's sad. Every day countless people get killed, a lot of them due to the fault of the US government, and nobody cares. But when a bunch of Americans get killed it is hyped up as if it was the worst tragedy that ever happened. It wasn't.

9/11 was like America being Scrooge and Bin Laden being the ghosts. Face it people, it is sad what is happening, the ideologic terror and all, but it is just the ghosts the US called.

And with what the US government calls "the war against terrorism" it won't get any better. It will get worse.

I'm not a what some here would call a "fuckin' liberal", I'm just counting the facts.

/lastroots
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 06:41:31 AM by lastroots » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: