Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 05:29:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227930 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  POD XT - any good?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: POD XT - any good?  (Read 3271 times)
GNR-Chris
Headliner

Chinese Democracy Starts Now!

« on: January 28, 2004, 09:28:06 AM »

Hi,

I'm seriously thinking about getting a POD XT, but it is pretty expensive for me - about 300quid. I was wondering if any of you guys have got one/used one and have any opinions on it.

I would only use it for recording, mostly using my PC.

Should I get one?

Thanks in advance,

GNR-Chris  smoking
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 11:20:14 AM »

I have one. I've only had it for a bit more than a month, but I've been toying around with one for longer. I think it really is worth the money spent. I can send you audio clips, if you wish.

I use mine for playing, and recording. I think it sounds best when put through a PA-system, but it really depends on the way you make the presets. My friend uses his with an amp, and it sounds great.

I don't have the floorboard (even the short version), but I have used it, and it is on my "things to buy" list since it adds the wah-pedal, which is also - I think - excellent.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
GNR-Chris
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 02:48:12 PM »

I have one. I've only had it for a bit more than a month, but I've been toying around with one for longer. I think it really is worth the money spent. I can send you audio clips, if you wish.

I use mine for playing, and recording. I think it sounds best when put through a PA-system, but it really depends on the way you make the presets. My friend uses his with an amp, and it sounds great.

I don't have the floorboard (even the short version), but I have used it, and it is on my "things to buy" list since it adds the wah-pedal, which is also - I think - excellent.

Thanks for the reply  ok

I have heard many good things about it, but some people have said that it just doesn't give a good "tone".

What amp do you play it through?
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »

I acutally don't even use an amp.. I play it through my soundcard, which is connected to my home stereo system.. And when I play along certain records, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.. Except in the quality of playing.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
darkmonth
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 04:21:45 PM »

My mate has one... meh... I think Line6 is overrated.  Even their amps.  My other guitarist had a Flextone III Head and ... well... yeah... it was good.  Because of it's variety.  But I desire a certain tone... and not one single Amp sim unit (which is what POD is), comes close when you play live.  And I have recently started doing recording with my amp and it is incredible.  I can only say this...

get the POD if you want loads of pretty cool sounds.  Don't get it if you know the difference between that and a 1000 dollar tube head and cab.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 06:36:54 PM »

I can only say this...
get the POD if you want loads of pretty cool sounds.  Don't get it if you know the difference between that and a 1000 dollar tube head and cab.
Exactly.

Unless you want to just drop tune and play metal, then maybe get the pod, because I've heard numerous stories of people who think the Line 6 Rectifier model sounds better than the Mesa's....and it'll break less.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 03:06:27 AM »

My mate has one... meh... I think Line6 is overrated.  Even their amps.  My other guitarist had a Flextone III Head and ... well... yeah... it was good.  Because of it's variety.  But I desire a certain tone... and not one single Amp sim unit (which is what POD is), comes close when you play live.  And I have recently started doing recording with my amp and it is incredible.  I can only say this...

Exactly what I meant when I said worth the money spent.. Hell if I had the money, of course I'd buy myself a 1000 dollar tube head, and a 4x12 cab to go with it. But I don't, and judging from the original poster, neither does he... The PODxt does have a mild problem, when the Output of the PODxt has to be loud. The sounds get weaker. So what you have to do, is use little of the PODxts output, and use lots of the amp you're playing it through.

So what I meant was, I think the PODxt is great value for the money.

I'd say that you can get really good sounds off the thing. It really is all about taking the time and making the good tones... I tried to get a nice Les Paul / JCM 800 sound for a really long time, and then I found one from the internet, and it sounds great (IMO).

As for playing live.. I really can't comment on that, since I haven't played a single gig in my life. But as far as recording stuff on your computer, PODxt really is worth every penny.

GNR-Chris
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 01:01:06 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback - both positive and negative, its good to hear from people who actually have experience in using it.

I think I will get one as it does sound good value for money  Smiley

Thanks again for all the honest opinions,

Chris  Cool
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 04:20:19 PM »

get a v-amp 2, its cheaper, does the same thing Smiley

Chinese Democracy!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 05:29:01 AM »

My mate has one... meh... I think Line6 is overrated. ?Even their amps. ?My other guitarist had a Flextone III Head and ... well... yeah... it was good. ?Because of it's variety. ?But I desire a certain tone... and not one single Amp sim unit (which is what POD is), comes close when you play live. ?And I have recently started doing recording with my amp and it is incredible. ?I can only say this...

get the POD if you want loads of pretty cool sounds. ?Don't get it if you know the difference between that and a 1000 dollar tube head and cab.

I agree, I bought one and I sold it, i didnt like it. Maybe I was impatient and didnt mess with it enough, but for the equipment I have, it just didnt work out.

To each his own though, some people think its amazing and it has its moments, but I like my DIgitech better.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 02:32:07 PM »

I have the POD, but mine is the 2.0, not the XT

I did record the guitar of my band?s first cd with the POD, you can check the sound at www.nutshell.com.br / www.tramavirtual.com.br/nutshell

ok

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 02:40:11 PM »

There's not a huge difference in the amp models between the 2. The differences are more on the effect side.. From what I've heard, the 2.0 might actually have a better Mesa Boogie sound than the XT... Having said that, I really like the JCM800 of the XT with the latest software upgrades.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 05:18:14 AM by Skeba » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: