Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What music category fits for GN'R?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What music category fits for GN'R?  (Read 16248 times)
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 08:32:21 PM »

Chinese Dem is more like Hardrock... so are Maddy

yeah, or to be more spescific, techno\hiphop (the beat) influenced powerballad
it has some bluesy gutars b4 the solo too Smiley

gnr sure be categorized the hardrock\rock brand but i think they'll have way more musical variations and influences (from other genres as techno industrial, metal (screaming) classical, hiphop, blues etc) than whats standard 4 "rockbands" today

some old gnr sounds really heavy, as perfect crime, you could be mine, right next door to hell headbanger

fuck i love the sound when axl is rippin on the vocals, thats really raw smoking
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 10:33:17 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Sentimental Rose
Opening Act

I lead a reckless life & I don't need your advice

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 02:20:18 AM »

He says gn'r is hair metal just like poison and van halen.

Wait a sec. did I miss the memo Van Fucking Halen.... Hair Metal! No No No tell your friend van halen's first album was released in 1978 way before the likes of poison. In my opinion they're Hard Rock.
GN'R are also Hard Rock but I must say listen to the Crash Diet demo that song sounds metal ta me. The great thing about GN'R is there music changed over time and thats one reason guns music doesn't get old to me. Sometimes I'm in a AFD/Lies mood sometimes its UYI/TSI.

"I've got one foot out the door tryin' to hit the road ain't no match for your mean old man I think its time to roll"
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2005, 08:49:13 AM »

Chinese Dem is more like Hardrock... so are Maddy

yeah, or to be more spescific, techno\hiphop (the beat) influenced powerballad

hmmm I think it's more like Queen , 'we will rock you' kind of Beat  ok

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Philly Rose
Crazy AND German
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2005, 10:51:53 AM »

I hate the classification thing. I cant deal with it. Every Music has its own individual style. And especially GN'R; which owns so many "styles" from so many instruments and even owns digital influences; has the little right to be indepentend. But to do this classification thing to deal a bit with your answer I would say they rock. And I would say that "rock" or "hardrock" hits the old GN'R the most. But to look in the future of GN'R... to do this classification thing for them... I have no clue?! I believe they do much with orchestral instruments so I would say more and more "classical inspired". But for example for the song C.D. I still say "rock" or "hardrock".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 11:07:31 AM by M. Philly Rose » Logged

Forget about me. You can't tell me.
axlroserules12000
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2005, 11:15:23 AM »

Hard Rock
GNR-Chris
Headliner

Chinese Democracy Starts Now!

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2005, 12:42:40 PM »

GNR are just "Rock"  smoking

They are NOT "Hair Metal"

GNR-Chris
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2005, 01:57:07 PM »

Old GNR - Hard Rock.

New GNR - In Progress.

Here today...ready to rock
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2005, 02:52:09 PM »

However VR is metal. they sound metal...and they sound realy different of GN'R.

your off ya face man.......VR METAL Huh

i thought the same. but VR are 1 or 2 steps closer to metal than GnR ever was/is.

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2005, 03:38:47 PM »

Suddenly it occurred to me that the definition of Metal differs with the country (if not the individual).
"glam rock/classic rock with blues and punk elements"
i think they'll have way more musical variations and influences (from other genres as techno industrial, metal (screaming) classical, hiphop, blues etc) than whats standard 4 "rockbands" today
And especially GN'R; which owns so many "styles" from so many instruments and even owns digital influences;
And reggae... peace
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »

This, my friends, is what makes GnR so special, still to this day. You can't simply put them in one category(for example, see all the above posts). To some they are hard as nails rock, some hear a punk sound. Classic rock, hard rock, rock, punk, metal, maybe even some softer sound. It's all there, so name your poison. This is Guns N' Roses!         ps. smoke 'em if you got 'em.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
Dust N Rose
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2005, 07:18:12 PM »

i think one of the biggest misconceptions about gnr is that they were a hair metal band...GNR IS NOT HAIR METAL...they may have been popular during the hair metal era, but their music is not hair metal...gnr was influenced by 70's blues-based rock bands like: led zeppelin, aerosmith, queen, etc...i consider gnr to be "blues-based hard rock"...the new gnr...now that's a different story...no one knows what category they fall into, since we haven't actually heard an album yet...

gnr was the opposite of hair metal...they were against the hair metal sound...they were trying to bring back the classic rock of the 70's...that is what made gnr so great, and that is why they are still popular today - they didn't try to sound like all the other cheesy hair bands of the 80's..

I totally agree with you, plus I think they were a little heavy metal, not hair metal, it's not the same. It's a pity, they helped (unintentionally) grunge to become mainstream (and all the nu-metal bands later).

The old GNR - Hardrock/Metal ! Dont Deny it! Some old GNR songs are more Metal than Rock
The new?? - Hmm.. we dont know for sure, but i guess it will be a meltingpot of; Metal/Hardrock/Indus.

Yeah, that's what I believe, early GN'R seem to be more metal, I've seen in an encylcopedia about Classic Rock Guns N' Roses, they were considered heavy metal with punk elements.
If you ask some metal fans that are GN'R haters they always say Guns N' Roses are rock. They think heavier sound is more cool. Hard Rock/Metal with punk elements is the closest genre, GN'R are really hard to be categorized, they have many elements. It's their own unique style.

However VR is metal. they sound metal...and they sound realy different of GN'R.

your off ya face man.......VR METAL Huh

They are too heavy to be hard rock.
Well they are a little metal, I would say even nu-metal sometimes( Angry). Headspace is a classical nu-metal song. Especially the intro.

And a last thing, they're not reggae, don't mess with the live version of KOHD and definitely not rap, hip - hop or something like that, the only hip hop thing was Axl's clothes, you can't say maddy is a hip hop song either.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2005, 07:23:18 PM »

you can't say maddy is a hip hop song either.

noone said that, but it has a hiphop beat behind it in the verse, so it's a lil influenced  yes
not a classical rockbeat ok

sound really good  beer

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2005, 07:55:37 AM »

Rock n Roll plain and simple! I wouldnt ever have put them in the heavy metal category and definetely not hair metal!! I for one one hated with a passion these two definitions of music! Yet I have loved and lived and breathed Guns from the day Appetite came out! The people who liked heavy metal and hair metal sort of music were considered geeks! But Guns fans were considered cool! I know what music you like is not about being cool, far from it. Its just that I consider Guns (then and now) to be more talented by a long distance than any heavy metal/hair band there ever has been!

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2005, 08:05:03 AM »

Old band: rock n' fucking roll
New band: indus techno (or that's what I read on the Internet)

Labels are stupid, there's two kinds of music. Good and bad. Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Philly Rose
Crazy AND German
Headliner

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2005, 08:10:51 AM »

Old band: rock n' fucking roll
New band: indus techno (or that's what I read on the Internet)

Labels are stupid, there's two kinds of music. Good and bad. Cheesy

/jarmo

nice said: bad N good. Black N' White. Guns N' Roses

Forget about me. You can't tell me.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2005, 10:15:13 AM »

And a last thing, they're not reggae, don't mess with the live version of KOHD and definitely not rap, hip - hop or something like that, the only hip hop thing was Axl's clothes, you can't say maddy is a hip hop song either.

It has also occurred to me numerous times that the sense of humour differs with the individual not with the country. Undecided
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2005, 01:21:29 PM »

hard rock

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
Dust N Rose
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2005, 05:43:09 PM »

It has also occurred to me numerous times that the sense of humour differs with the individual not with the country. Undecided

what the.. Huh
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2005, 08:29:29 PM »

Old GnR is hard to put in a specific category. They are classic Rock yet they arent played much on Classic Rock stations{atleast here in the NY Area}. And they are too "old" to be played on a "modern" station like KROCK. Their music is great but when you really look at it they are not the most radio friendly type band. Except for the anthems all their other stuff is either too long or too much cursing. SO they get shutout.  They are played regularly on lower scale stations around here though. Which is a good thing.

As for the new band. We wont know until the first single and album. This is one of the things Im intrigued about when CD drops. TO see where they end up in todays music. It all depends on the sound and how they promote themselves. IMO, IF THE MUSIC IS UP TO TODAYS STANDARDS, they will slide right into the Krocks of the world. We shall see though. Or the whole Axl/negativity factor might play in. Lots of questions.....Cant wait to see how it all pans out

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2005, 08:33:22 PM »

I've always thought of GN'R (even today) as Led Zepelin and Pink Floyd's love child raised by Hanoi Rocks. ok

I guess I would call it "Modern Hard Rock". "Modern" not as in current, but rather as one generation removed from the "Classic Hard Rock" era of Zepelin, Floyd, Aerosmith etc. Kind of like how Warhol or Rothko are still considered "modern art artists" even though they've been dead for years.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: