Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Ritz...20 Years Later
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Ritz...20 Years Later  (Read 31772 times)
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

Beer and the ritz, a now 4 year old tradition..Me and my bud...Axl Voice was alot better on the ritz show compraed to tokyo 92..In Tokyo 92 he didn?t even have a voice it was just ..Something else

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »

...the only song cut from the MTV telecast was "Mama Kin", KOHD was in the broadcast fromm day one, and damn MTV played the shit out of that concert....

Mama Kin was left out on every aired version just as some talking in between the songs. but on some channels they indeed left out KOHD (just like the UK broadcast) aswell. KOHD/Ritz'88  became some kind of regular video single later (before the 4/20/1992 show was even played) on MTV though.

Just missing out on seeing GNR as I did when they toured the UK in '88 and having to wait what seemed like an agonising eternity for them to start touring again, before seeing my first show in Germany in May '91.....

they never did a show in Germany in May'91, only german show in 1991 was 8/24/1991 in Mannheim. i was there aswell.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 11:51:52 PM »

A lot of us old school fans keep waiting (hopelessly) for a recurrence of the magic of that night. 
all you had to do was catch the band on tour back in 2006-2007

Really their high point for purists like me.
excuse me, but what does this mean?  what is a purist?  i've seen some of you call yourselves this and i have no idea what you are trying to say.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 11:59:07 PM »

A lot of us old school fans keep waiting (hopelessly) for a recurrence of the magic of that night. 

excuse me, but what does this mean?  what is a purist?  i've seen some of you call yourselves this and i have no idea what you are trying to say.

Purist - traditionalist - like something in pure state, as if never touched.  Like a virgin.  They want to rember girl as virgin, not a whore.
OreGunsNRoses
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 01:39:59 AM »

I guess im guilty of being a purist
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 02:32:54 AM »

Purist - traditionalist - like something in pure state, as if never touched.  Like a virgin.  They want to rember girl as virgin, not a whore.

thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 03:21:24 AM »

You never know, maybe something like the Hall of Fame induction will be enough to get the 5 of them to play nice for a night. They obviously have a fractured relationship, but when Guns N' Roses is officially immortalized in Rock N' Roll history that night and it is Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff and Steven's name on that plaque you would hate to think any of them would miss the occassion because of things that happened almost 20 years ago (at that point). Whether they like it or not the 5 of them are in that one together, so hopefully they take advantage and make the most of it. Outside of that probably best to keep watching the Ritz video. Who knows, maybe the band members themselves might have to watch some old videos to remind themselves just how fuckin good and magical they were, and why the Hall will eventually want them in the first place.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 05:35:15 AM »

they never did a show in Germany in May'91, only german show in 1991 was 8/24/1991 in Mannheim. i was there aswell.
Thanks for the correction ? memory never has been good with dates.  I travelled there because I couldn?t wait the extra few days ?till they got to Wembley.  Grin

First time I heard Estranged too ? sent shivers down my spine.  Hope I get to hear it played live again one day.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 09:26:13 AM »

pur?ism      /ˈpyʊərɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pyoor-iz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?noun 1. strict observance of or insistence on purity in language, style, etc. 
2. an instance of this. 
3. (often initial capital letter) Fine Arts. a style of art developed in France in the early 20th century, characterized by the use of simple geometric forms and images evocative of objects produced by machine. 

pur?ist       (pyŏŏr'ĭst)  Pronunciation Key 
n.   One who practices or urges strict correctness, especially in the use of words.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 09:44:53 AM »

fundamentalism is a sort of purism. yes
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 10:31:03 AM »

You never know, maybe something like the Hall of Fame induction will be enough to get the 5 of them to play nice for a night. They obviously have a fractured relationship, but when Guns N' Roses is officially immortalized in Rock N' Roll history that night and it is Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff and Steven's name on that plaque you would hate to think any of them would miss the occassion because of things that happened almost 20 years ago (at that point). Whether they like it or not the 5 of them are in that one together, so hopefully they take advantage and make the most of it. Outside of that probably best to keep watching the Ritz video. Who knows, maybe the band members themselves might have to watch some old videos to remind themselves just how fuckin good and magical they were, and why the Hall will eventually want them in the first place.

Things have kept happening all through the years. It didn't just happen almost 20 years ago...

Imagine if you were married, divorced and you managed to get your own life while your ex-wife has talked shit about you ever since the divorce. Would you be happy to celebrate the 20th anniversary with her?

I remember watching the Ritz show on TV and the beeps were annoying!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 11:03:36 AM »

Things have kept happening all through the years. It didn't just happen almost 20 years ago...

Imagine if you were married, divorced and you managed to get your own life while your ex-wife has talked shit about you ever since the divorce. Would you be happy to celebrate the 20th anniversary with her?

I remember watching the Ritz show on TV and the beeps were annoying!

/jarmo

well, friendship and marrige are two very different  things.. look how many other bands, who split because they hated eachother, and put it all behind and got together again.

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 12:05:11 PM »

In the 'Fire in Malibu...' thread ppbebe provided this link to someone asking about Axl's interest in supporting organisations working to help abused children and, interestingly, it also provides an answer to your question.  So, just in case you haven't seen it, here's the relevant question and answer, and the link below.

RS: There are purists who prefer the raw vibe that bands like the Sex Pistols had and that Guns n' Roses had in the early days.

Axl: Yeah, well, there are people who like a girl that had the same haircut she had ten years ago, too. I understand that. I understand that a lot. But it's like, we're evolving, and it's us. I read a quote where David Bowie was saying that Pink Floyd was Syd Barrett to him. I'm like "Yeah, but to deny anything that Pink Floyd's done after that?" Certain elements of our music and our performance and our attitude are still there, but we're not the same people we were then. Maybe it would've been best for the purists if we'd died or broken up. Then they'd get to keep it the way they liked it.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=56

It's a great interview and one that I hadn't read in a long, long time.  So, thanks ppbebe, for reminding me.   ok

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »

In the interest of not starting another thread, HMV have a Gn'R double dvd entitled Appetite for Destruction on film, 20 year anniversary.  Unofficial I think( it must be!), but has interview with Dizzy, live clip of DotF at Farm Aid. Has Mama kin too. All plus the usual SCOM, PC etc.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »

Wow, thanks ppbebe! It's been a long time since I read that...

This thing fits nicely to nowadays:

One thing I want to say is, these aren't excuses. I'm not trying to get out of something. The bottom line is, each person is responsible for what they say and what they do. And I'm responsible for everything I've said and everything I've done, whether I want to be or not. So these aren't excuses. They're just facts, and they're things I'm dealing with. And if you've got a real problem with it, don't come to the show. If you gotta be home at fucking midnight, don't bother. Do yourself a favor. I'm not telling you to come -- I don't think that I'd want to. If you've got a problem with me trying to deal with my shit and doing the show the best I can, then just don't come, man. It's not a problem. Just stay the fuck away. Because you're getting something out of it, but I'm also there for myself. I've got a lot of work to do. A lot of work to do. I've done about seven years' worth of therapy in a year, but it takes a lot of energy. And Guns n' Roses takes a lot of energy. It's a weird pressure to try to deal with both at the same time. And I'm gonna do it the best I can when I can and how I can. And I'm the judge of that--not anybody in the crowd.

How do you think all of this will affect your songwriting?

I really think that the next official Guns n' Roses record, or the next thing I do, at least, will take some dramatic turns that people didn't expect and show the growth. I don't want to be the twenty-three-year-old misfit that I was. I don't want to be that person.

Who do you want to be?

I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace. I'm sure everybody would.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »

pur?ism      /ˈpyʊərɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pyoor-iz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?noun 1. strict observance of or insistence on purity in language, style, etc. 
2. an instance of this. 
3. (often initial capital letter) Fine Arts. a style of art developed in France in the early 20th century, characterized by the use of simple geometric forms and images evocative of objects produced by machine. 

pur?ist       (pyŏŏr'ĭst)  Pronunciation Key 
n.   One who practices or urges strict correctness, especially in the use of words.

so a purist in GnR terms is someone who is anal about spelling?
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 07:28:35 PM »

Step off, assface. I've seen the new band three different times, including their first show (with Buckethead and Paul Huge).

I've seen enough.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 07:31:45 PM »

Step off, assface. I've seen the new band three different times, including their first show (with Buckethead and Paul Huge).

I think you need to cool it on the name calling.   All I did was state a point and ask a question, which you didn't answer.
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 07:34:53 PM »

Also, for those of you who talk about "the past is the past," like it's something Axl disavowed, why have they played the majority of Appetite on the last three tours? That's been the bulk of their setlist. And you want to believe there's no reason to discuss or even think about the past in relation to the present? As Stuart Smalley once said, denial ain't just a river in Egypt.  Tongue

I've seen enough.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »

Also, for those of you who talk about "the past is the past," like it's something Axl disavowed, why have they played the majority of Appetite on the last three tours? That's been the bulk of their setlist. And you want to believe there's no reason to discuss or even think about the past in relation to the present? As Stuart Smalley once said, denial ain't just a river in Egypt.  Tongue

why do you call yourself a purist johnnyblood?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: