Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 09:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Ritz...20 Years Later
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Ritz...20 Years Later  (Read 31771 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »

IMO, this Floyd analogy by 1992 Axl is contradicting his ?purist vs evolving? theory.

There are purists who prefer the raw vibe that bands like the Sex Pistols had and that Guns n' Roses had in the early days.

Yeah, well, there are people who like a girl that had the same haircut she had ten years ago, too. I understand that. I understand that a lot. But it's like, we're evolving, and it's us. I read a quote where David Bowie was saying that Pink Floyd was Syd Barrett to him. I'm like "Yeah, but to deny anything that Pink Floyd's done after that?" Certain elements of our music and our performance and our attitude are still there, but we're not the same people we were then. Maybe it would've been best for the purists if we'd died or broken up. Then they'd get to keep it the way they liked it.

How do you think all of this will affect your songwriting?

I really think that the next official Guns n' Roses record, or the next thing I do, at least, will take some dramatic turns that people didn't expect and show the growth. I don't want to be the twenty-three-year-old misfit that I was. I don't want to be that person.

Who do you want to be?

I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace. I'm sure everybody would.

Even after Syd was out of the band, his "sound" was still the "Floyd sound" and a lot of their songs were written either about him or about his influence on how they looked at the world around themselves.  IMO, the basis for ?anything that Pink Floyd?s done after that? was Syd?s struggle to find ?more internal peace.?

So, 1992 Axl shouldn't have compared the evolution of GNR to the 'Floyd after Syd' because what GNR evolved into in 1992 was something completely different than 1987 GNR.

Just like 2008 GNR evolved into something totally different than 1992 GNR.  The current band's influences come from a wide variety of places which does include the band?s history but only inasmuch as the common denominator  to both past and present is Axl.

Rest in Peace, Syd.  May God bless your soul with His Peace.  Smiley

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »

Also, for those of you who talk about "the past is the past," like it's something Axl disavowed, why have they played the majority of Appetite on the last three tours? That's been the bulk of their setlist. And you want to believe there's no reason to discuss or even think about the past in relation to the present? As Stuart Smalley once said, denial ain't just a river in Egypt.  Tongue

why do you call yourself a purist johnnyblood?

Why the fascination with this word "purist"? You seem to be probing for some type of conspiracy here. Do you not understand the term as it's used in the modern English language. Hell, in regular old conversational English? Or do you feel there's some type of hidden communist message in the word? I think I answered the question of why I'm a purist with my original post, which for unknown reasons you saw fit to pick apart and analyze as though the literal words I used have some sort of double-meaning. Well they don't Jim Bob. What I said is what I meant. To me, that era of the band was the best. No more no less. If you can't connect the dots with all that help then you never will. Good lord. And while we're here, am I still allowed to like the new band, even though I don't think it's as good as the old one? Can I still root for Axl? Or is there a secret blood contract that you have to sign to the new band saying you'll never, ever, for the love of AXL, think fondly of the version of the band that's actually released an album?

I've seen enough.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 09:31:27 PM »

You never know, maybe something like the Hall of Fame induction will be enough to get the 5 of them to play nice for a night. They obviously have a fractured relationship, but when Guns N' Roses is officially immortalized in Rock N' Roll history that night and it is Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff and Steven's name on that plaque you would hate to think any of them would miss the occassion because of things that happened almost 20 years ago (at that point). Whether they like it or not the 5 of them are in that one together, so hopefully they take advantage and make the most of it. Outside of that probably best to keep watching the Ritz video. Who knows, maybe the band members themselves might have to watch some old videos to remind themselves just how fuckin good and magical they were, and why the Hall will eventually want them in the first place.

Things have kept happening all through the years. It didn't just happen almost 20 years ago...

Imagine if you were married, divorced and you managed to get your own life while your ex-wife has talked shit about you ever since the divorce. Would you be happy to celebrate the 20th anniversary with her?

I remember watching the Ritz show on TV and the beeps were annoying!

/jarmo

well, friendship and marrige are two very different  things.. look how many other bands, who split because they hated eachother, and put it all behind and got together again.

And went on to become huge again. Aerosmith is the perfect example.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 09:42:59 PM »

You never know, maybe something like the Hall of Fame induction will be enough to get the 5 of them to play nice for a night. They obviously have a fractured relationship, but when Guns N' Roses is officially immortalized in Rock N' Roll history that night and it is Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff and Steven's name on that plaque you would hate to think any of them would miss the occassion because of things that happened almost 20 years ago (at that point). Whether they like it or not the 5 of them are in that one together, so hopefully they take advantage and make the most of it. Outside of that probably best to keep watching the Ritz video. Who knows, maybe the band members themselves might have to watch some old videos to remind themselves just how fuckin good and magical they were, and why the Hall will eventually want them in the first place.

Things have kept happening all through the years. It didn't just happen almost 20 years ago...

Imagine if you were married, divorced and you managed to get your own life while your ex-wife has talked shit about you ever since the divorce. Would you be happy to celebrate the 20th anniversary with her?

/jarmo

To Continue that: than you re-marry, promising things are going to be totally different, but spend the next 15 years revisiting past memories with the new wife and never really do anything different
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 10:09:39 PM »

Why the fascination with this word "purist"?

because it sounds stupid.   and i can see this means you are simply one of those people i refer to in my sig.   hihi
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »

Why the fascination with this word "purist"?

because it sounds stupid.   and i can see this means you are simply one of those people i refer to in my sig.   hihi

Ran out of ideas eh? Or should we say, never had one in the first place? Good night Jim Bob. Happy living! ok

I've seen enough.
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »

I sat down tonight and started watching GN'R Live at the Ritz and realized it has been 20 years since that show.  Now for me this show was my first real introduction to Guns other than Welcome To The Jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine.  This show was February 2nd 1988 and I got to watch it on Much Music a few months later...and the anticipation building up to get to watch this show was nuts.  I was 14 and that day was the longest ever...waiting for it to air on Much Music that night.  We didn't have a VCR then, so I recorded it with my little stereo sitting in front of the TV...that is how I listened to it for a long time after before I got a copy of the concert on video.  I can still remember the tape ending and having to flip it over during Knocking on Heaven's door.  Anyway, this is the purest rock concert ever filmed and for Guns it is the purest Pro shot ever filmed before that got insanely big.  Man 20 years...what the fuck!!!!  Why isn't there a 20th year Anniversary release of this on DVD!!!!  peace

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2008, 05:01:52 AM »

My personal take on the Ritz show:

The band was drunk/on drugs it seems and they were more interested in looking cool than actually sounding cool. Guitars/bass out of tune, missing many notes/chords/entire parts of songs, Axl is not in his best form, and they have that drummer who just isn't good on drums, high or clean doesn't matter.

Seriously, this was a "look we are r&r and we know how to pose like that" show and many seem to like that. Was the show energetic? Yes, but musically this was very poor. Take their Paris 1992 show (broadcast live all over the world) ... that one rips this Ritz thing to pieces on all levels.

Ritz show, overrated as Mcdonalds junkfood  peace

This signature is very funny.
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »

yeah, slash said the same in his book, wich got me thinking how much better could they be... cuz this show is awesome!

this 02/02/1988 ritz mtv show performance-wise was an average 80s gnr show....axl's got voice trouble and the band performance was "so so" only. people of 80s knowledge should know there have been much better ones, for example if they would have captured/televised

August 02nd 1988 - Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, IN

now THAT would have been killer on tv broadcast worldwide. the audio master source of this was released on dime last year or so, go and check please.

still.....we just had this 02/02/1988 ritz - 02/02/2008 20th anniversary....where is the official MTV dvd release??

Chinese Democracy!
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2008, 12:02:30 PM »

I think this show is cool, Slash looks particularly fucked up during the pc outro. I always thought that GNR were their best and coolest on that first leg of the UYI tour very, very unpredictable.

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2008, 12:10:02 PM »

Only remeber beatifuls.

Thakz

Smiley

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »

The band was drunk/on drugs it seems and they were more interested in looking cool than actually sounding cool. Guitars/bass out of tune, missing many notes/chords/entire parts of songs, Axl is not in his best form, and they have that drummer who just isn't good on drums, high or clean doesn't matter.

Seriously, this was a "look we are r&r and we know how to pose like that" show and many seem to like that. Was the show energetic? Yes, but musically this was very poor. Take their Paris 1992 show (broadcast live all over the world) ... that one rips this Ritz thing to pieces on all levels.

That's what a rock show is though...if you want a bunch of sober guys playing there instruments in key and pitch perfect than go see an orchestra.
The band definetly moved on and became more professional and put on some wicked shows...but the Ritz is just an example of a really raw gritty rock show! And defenitely no what you refer to it as "McDonald's junkfood"

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:31:58 AM by RoCoKiN » Logged

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
morf13
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »

Still the best show i have ever heard! Its so easy,jungle,all great!
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »

Rock n' roll is more than playing with technical precision.  This was a band in February of 88 that was about to explode all over the world.  I love watching them play on the small stage like this and since it was professionally shot it stands as a unique piece of GN'R history.  I disagree about your view that they were trying to look cool and pose because they didn't have to try at all...they were the coolest motherfuckers ever.  Look at rock n' roll today and note the differences.  Everything today is manufactured bullshit. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »

The Ritz was one of the best shows EVER! You could tell that this was a band on  the edge of rock. Although they were drunk and high, the
passion, determination, and balls  to make it was  displayed during this show. It really defines the quintessential spirit of Guns N' Roses!
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2008, 10:02:53 PM »

Guns N Roses at Ritz DEFINES what Rock N Roll is about , the dirty , the raw , the real. Nothing ever gets more real than that performance , everything is so in your face. It embodies to me what GN'R stands for " Fuck you , we play rock n roll , we play it loud , and if you don't like it FUCK OFF"  ok beer drool
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2008, 08:16:42 AM »

GN'R stands for " Fuck you , we play rock n roll , we play it loud , and if you don't like it FUCK OFF"  ok

You said it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2008, 08:59:33 AM »

/jarmo

To Continue that: than you re-marry, promising things are going to be totally different, but spend the next 15 years revisiting past memories with the new wife and never really do anything different

aahah, nicely put Smiley

Chinese Democracy!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »

/jarmo

That's exactly what some former members were about.

Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »

Ok, I am making a few notes after your comments about my post:

- ultimate R&R is about being off key, missing parts of songs and pretend it's cool because you are high, wearing a tight leather pants and jumping into the crowd.

- R&R is not about making music sound as good as possible.... no, it is about the other trivial quasi-macho stuff, that's what makes a gig "amazing", not what you hear.

- people who want to hear music played as good as possible must listen to classical music.

That's what I got from you, correct?

ok

This signature is very funny.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: