Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:48:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 451369 times)
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2004, 01:17:02 PM »

I love GNR, but Metallica is every bit in the same league if not higher than GNR. All one needs to do is look at the attendance numbers of their tours over the last 20 years to see that they sellout almost everywhere they go no matter what. And that is including the continual revolving door at the bass. I would also venture to say their album sales far surpass Gnr(Not sure, but I would be pretty confident making that claim).

Does all the hate stem from the fact they have continued to release albums for the last 20 years and didn't just stop after the black album in 91? Some of their albums have backfired, but that happened when they experimented a little too much. The same would have happened to GNR over that same period of time had they actually released music and not sat in a cave for the better part of 11 years.
Their album sales probably are more than GNR, but I don't see what on earth makes that matter. I don't even care to compare the two bands - my opinion of Metallica is entirely seperate of GNR. Hell, I think Axl was quite a bastard in not "saving the day" after Hetfield got burned.

My beef isn't just with Metallica, it's with the entire genre of Metal. They managed to escape it's cliches with Load and ReLoad (and I damn well enjoyed those albums), but went jumped right back into their sub-par metal mold with St. Anger. They have made quite a few great songs over the years (though they only sound good live - their 80s albums sound like shit), but they have made more songs that I just plain do not like. They are a walking cliche. Every metal band is. They all go out talking about how they will change the world with their shit, and it's THE SAME DAMN THING as everyone elses.

I am so sick of metal. There are exceptions, but for the most part, metal just plain sucks.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 01:18:00 PM by PeterCoffin » Logged

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2004, 02:07:15 PM »

Metallica used to be great but they haven't released anything that notable since since the black album.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2004, 06:31:28 PM »

I agree with PeterCoffin about Load and Reload.  I don't understand why people slag Metallica so much for experimenting a little.  It's like, because they changed their sound and look a bit, people thought they were betraying metal.  Bullshit.  I mean, let's examine the main Load-era complaints.

1) They cut their hair.
Didn't one of the all-time metal gods, Rob Halford, ALWAYS have short hair?

2) They wore eyeliner.
Eyeliner?  Metal bands have always worn makeup (KISS, Marilyn Manson, Mudvayne, etc.)

3) They wrote country songs, blues songs, and ballads.
Ozzy Osbourne - Mama I'm Coming Home
Megadeth - I'll Be There
Slipknot - Vermillion, Part 2

4) They went too mainstream.
Yeah, they did go mainstream.  Can't argue with this.  But who cares?  I say, listen to the music first.  If the music's good (and Load is my second favourite Metallica album after Master of Puppets), then everything else is secondary.

And Jarmo, if you have a problem with this thread turning into a Metallica thread, just move it into Bad Obsession, don't lock it.  It's interesting so far.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2004, 12:59:02 PM »

I agree with PeterCoffin about Load and Reload.  I don't understand why people slag Metallica so much for experimenting a little.  It's like, because they changed their sound and look a bit, people thought they were betraying metal.  Bullshit.  I mean, let's examine the main Load-era complaints.

1) They cut their hair.
Didn't one of the all-time metal gods, Rob Halford, ALWAYS have short hair?

2) They wore eyeliner.
Eyeliner?  Metal bands have always worn makeup (KISS, Marilyn Manson, Mudvayne, etc.)

3) They wrote country songs, blues songs, and ballads.
Ozzy Osbourne - Mama I'm Coming Home
Megadeth - I'll Be There
Slipknot - Vermillion, Part 2

4) They went too mainstream.
Yeah, they did go mainstream.  Can't argue with this.  But who cares?  I say, listen to the music first.  If the music's good (and Load is my second favourite Metallica album after Master of Puppets), then everything else is secondary.

And Jarmo, if you have a problem with this thread turning into a Metallica thread, just move it into Bad Obsession, don't lock it.  It's interesting so far.

I slag those album off because they are shite - its as simple as that

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2004, 12:42:33 AM »

Peter Coffin, what do you mean when you say cliche?

astutej
Opening Act

« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2004, 03:12:40 PM »

This is funny & very true review by him on the "Mighty Metallica"-HA!!

http://www.metal-sludge.com/Iann-SomeKindOfBullshit.htm
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2004, 05:03:08 PM »

Ian Ian..what can I say, ok I haven?t seen the documentary, however I think that he?s a very harsh critic sometimes and a bit sad, considering he belonged(belongs?) to the crappy MTV family. There?s osmething funny, he wrote something about how bad was theIcon thing, ok It wasn?t the best, specially beacuse of the performers, but that?s not where I?m going, my point is....he basically wrote that the show sucked but he was going nuts when Metallica played. If it was so bad then why were you a part of it?

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2004, 02:08:31 AM »

I agree with his review. Metallica should have broke up or mysteriously died in a plane crash after ...And Justice For All. Then, they could be celebrated as legends, not the sellouts they are. It's hard to listen to even their old stuff now. Sad
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2004, 03:43:26 PM »

ru guys nuts...i mean ya they made a few mistakes..but Metallica iss till one hell of an amazing band...and the figures prove it

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Evolution
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2004, 09:26:31 AM »

LOL @ Lars writing lyrics about Napster rofl
K-Rock
« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2004, 06:38:02 PM »

Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets & Garage Days Re-Revisited are the only albums worth listening to.? Everything after sucked.?

Actually I'll add Garage, Inc. because the 5 tracks from Garage Days were included on that crappy 2-cd set.

I actually have newer Metallica fans tell me that The Black Album was their last good one.? Fuck that album and it's cock-suckin entry into mainstream radio!!!

I agree that the band began it's slow decent when Cliff slid out of the window on their tour bus.......
SLCPUNK
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2004, 12:32:47 PM »

I agree with his review. Metallica should have broke up or mysteriously died in a plane crash after ...And Justice For All. Then, they could be celebrated as legends, not the sellouts they are. It's hard to listen to even their old stuff now. Sad

This will be the only time I will agree with you EVER.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2004, 03:00:23 PM »

love em or hate em, you have to give them credit. since they began, they have accomplished the following:

1. became huge with no radio or mtv airplay - just word of mouth.
2. made some of the greatest heavy metal music ever.
3. influenced an entire generation of hard rock/metal bands.
4. remained a major part of the musical landscape for 20+ years.

i won't even go into their consistently strong record sales, since that doesn't necessarily mean you're good.

but seriously, how many bands can you say these things about?
not many.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2004, 01:49:06 AM »

Fuck Iann Robinson.  He's a 30+year old nerd who's still living in the 80s, just another one of those Metallica fans who whine, "Boo hoo, Metallica sold out because they got haircuts and did ballads!"  What is the big deal?  I can't stand listening to that crap.  A good song is a good song, and Metallica made some great songs in the 90s - "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", "Until It Sleeps", "Hero of the Day", "Fuel", "I Disappear".  St. Anger wasn't their best, but I thought as an album it was far superior to ...And Justice For All.  People always act like their 80s albums were perfect and everything sucked after that.  But the fact is, Metallica's consistency has always varied.  I mean, Master of Puppets is their only album that has really no filler.  I think Load was a great album that really showed their ability to transcend being locked into a pure thrash metal vaccuum and reach into other forms of music.  Metallica's supposed fans are really trying to lock them into a specific style and not let them grow as artists.  Why does Metallica have to stick to sinus-rattling thrash rockers about insanity?  Can't they also do a heartfelt country ballad every once in a while?  As long as it's good music.

So now we have Metallica in a movie expressing their feelings.  So fine, Lars is a whining ass, but we all already knew that.  Whatever you say about watching metal gods in therapy, I think it's interesting to watch the psychological inner workings of this kind of band.  St. Anger may not be the group's best album, but it's still a brave experiment, more of a garage metal feel.  The fact is, Metallica always challenge their audience, and whether the result is good or bad, I like it how they take chances.  If Iann Robinson doesn't like it, maybe he should listen to Slayer or some 80s thrash band that DIDN'T experiment that much and keeps repeating the same kind of stuff.  If Metallica had done that, we wouldn't still be talking about them.
K-Rock
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2004, 10:55:33 AM »

Fuck Iann Robinson.? He's a 30+year old nerd who's still living in the 80s, just another one of those Metallica fans who whine, "Boo hoo, Metallica sold out because they got haircuts and did ballads!"? What is the big deal?? I can't stand listening to that crap.? A good song is a good song, and Metallica made some great songs in the 90s - "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", "Until It Sleeps", "Hero of the Day", "Fuel", "I Disappear".? St. Anger wasn't their best, but I thought as an album it was far superior to ...And Justice For All.? People always act like their 80s albums were perfect and everything sucked after that.? But the fact is, Metallica's consistency has always varied.? I mean, Master of Puppets is their only album that has really no filler.? I think Load was a great album that really showed their ability to transcend being locked into a pure thrash metal vaccuum and reach into other forms of music.? Metallica's supposed fans are really trying to lock them into a specific style and not let them grow as artists.? Why does Metallica have to stick to sinus-rattling thrash rockers about insanity?? Can't they also do a heartfelt country ballad every once in a while?? As long as it's good music.

So now we have Metallica in a movie expressing their feelings.? So fine, Lars is a whining ass, but we all already knew that.? Whatever you say about watching metal gods in therapy, I think it's interesting to watch the psychological inner workings of this kind of band.? St. Anger may not be the group's best album, but it's still a brave experiment, more of a garage metal feel.? The fact is, Metallica always challenge their audience, and whether the result is good or bad, I like it how they take chances.? If Iann Robinson doesn't like it, maybe he should listen to Slayer or some 80s thrash band that DIDN'T experiment that much and keeps repeating the same kind of stuff.? If Metallica had done that, we wouldn't still be talking about them.

expressing their feelings.......watching metal gods in therapy.....psychological inner workings....brave experiment..... hihi? (I think you and Lars should hang out).

The only "garage feel" Metallica material is Kill 'Em All & Garage Days Re-revisited.

So from what you are saying, Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning & Master of Puppets were "repeating the same kind of stuff"Huh Each has it's own unique sound.

What's with the living in the 80's crap?? Because I was a fan from the beginning and don't like any of your "great Metallica 90's songs".....I'm living in the 80's??

As for your: "He's a 30+year old nerd who's still living in the 80s, just another one of those Metallica fans who whine, "Boo hoo, Metallica sold out because they got haircuts and did ballads!" statement........

The only 80's albums in my top 10 are AFD & Kill Em All.? AFD being #1 and Kill Em All being somewhere closer to 10.......I cut my hair......and I seem to remember one of the greatest ballads ever made being on their 2nd album......yeah that's right......"Fade To Black".

I'm not crying about their Symphony experiment.......I just think it sucked.? And I believed their bullshit that they went back "to their roots" with St. Anger.? They've resorted to saying whatver they have to to sell albums.? Ulrich and Hetfiled ran the band into the ground.? Why wouldn't they let Newsted contribute??......and why in the world would you supress Kirk's solo-ing talent??? The answer: EGOS.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2004, 10:50:54 AM »

Just Picked up 2 tickets to a Metallica Concert in Toronto...anyone seen them on this tour that can give me an idea of the setlist and pyro and stuff?

MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2004, 04:17:07 PM »

Metallica...Didn't they use to sing good music in the 80's and 90's. What ever happened to them?

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2004, 04:25:04 PM »

Metallica...Didn't they use to sing good music in the 80's and 90's. What ever happened to them?

Last i heard they were opening for Warrant hihi

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2004, 05:14:23 PM »

whatever guys..try to be happy for me..lol...its gonna be agood show

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2004, 05:17:33 PM »

whatever guys..try to be happy for me..lol...its gonna be agood show

Hey - we don't dispute that - they play the old stuff!

I had tickets to see them last year (yet due to certain circumstances never saw them) but my brother did and said they were great - just go get a drink when shit like 'fuel', 'st anger' ...hell ANYTHING after 1991 is played - let us know what u think of the show

ps. make sure to take ur 'fuck Napster' placard with u hihi

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: