Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:27:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227891 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  For those w/ tube amps. preferrably Marshall. JCM800 tubes question...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For those w/ tube amps. preferrably Marshall. JCM800 tubes question...  (Read 4080 times)
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« on: February 28, 2005, 09:42:31 PM »

Stocked with EL34's. Probably need to be replaced. Anyone know of the best El34's to buy? and Also, I think I have a grounding problem, when I touch the strings or any metal part, the hum dies down. Anyone have any problems like this with thier JCM?
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 05:16:16 PM »

Stocked with EL34's. Probably need to be replaced. Anyone know of the best El34's to buy? and Also, I think I have a grounding problem, when I touch the strings or any metal part, the hum dies down. Anyone have any problems like this with thier JCM?

when you touch your guitar parts, the hum goes off?  did recently swap guitar pickups?

electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 08:53:24 PM »

yeah, but i didnt have a problem with my fender amp. The same thing happened to me when i owned a tele and it was a grounding problem...That is the only thing i can think of.
BP
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 12:31:18 PM »

yeah, but i didnt have a problem with my fender amp. The same thing happened to me when i owned a tele and it was a grounding problem...That is the only thing i can think of.

I get the same problem sometimes when I swap pickups- I've tried a lot of combos
I know what you mean though, it happens even when the guitar is turned down. I think its just my faulty wiring Cheesy  using the wrong solder reson for grounding/wiring. My tech is MIA on tour for months now.... I wanted him to redue it all for me since it's my 77' Gibby & want to change pots anyway.

I assume all cables are good for ya.   

As for Tubes....  I don't own a 800, but check into JJ's & then maybe GrooveTubes & Electro Harmonix. I think zakk uses GT. just a start ....  Read up some reviews on the amp

-BP

ps "What is the brand of tubes (pre-amp and power) in your using in your JCM800? And is it a modded amp?
Zakk Wylde: I use 6550 Groove Tubes, and no my heads aren't modded."

hope this helps ya a bit  -BP

BP
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 12:36:08 PM »

opps .....? ? I have a fender twin & I don't have issues as much or none that I remember. High Gain amps will bring that shizzle out.? but I guess it could be an amp grounding issue too, but I don't know alot bout's that.? except that my friends AMPEG electricuted the fuck out of me once & I threw a fender bass across the room.

bp

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 08:34:33 PM »

I like the SED (formerly Svetlana) EL34 tubes for Marshalls. They have the winged 'c' logo like this =c=. I get mine from http://www.dougstubes.com. Remember you have to re-bais your am when you switch power tubes or have your tech do it.
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 10:17:35 PM »

I'm not sure which EL34's are in there now. The writing is barely visable. I basically want some EL34's that will add some balls. And what is biasing? I have been using solid state amps my whole playing life...
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 06:14:09 AM »

Well if you're used to transistors you should stick with them, a tube amp will totally change your sound, cos they kick ass. Anyway Groove's are quite popular? ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 02:07:11 PM »

I'm not sure which EL34's are in there now. The writing is barely visable. I basically want some EL34's that will add some balls. And what is biasing? I have been using solid state amps my whole playing life...

Biasing is adjusting the amp to perform the best for the tubes you bought. All tubes are slightly different and in order to get the best sound and life out of them the amp has to be biased. If biased incorrectly your amp could run cold in which case it woun't sound very good or run too hot in which case you'll cause your power tubes to die much faster. Find a local amp tech and bring in your amp along with the new tubes. It shouldn't cost much money to have this done. I do not recommend Groove tubes since they do not even make tubes... they just buy them from a lot of different manufactures and relabel them. Trust me, get SED EL34 power tubes.
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 08:32:54 PM »

do you mean the old svetlana's?
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 09:45:34 PM »

do you mean the old svetlana's?

Svetlana used to make great EL34's. Someone else bought the rights to the same but doesn't manufacture them. So new Svetlana's aren't the same tube. However SED continues to make them the old way. Trust me, just get SED EL34's. E-mail or call Doug at dougstubes.com. Make sure you order matched tubes. He can explain all this stuff better than I can, it's his job!
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 02:06:01 AM »

Yo darkburst, what is this DI jack for in the back. And I recently bought a new EQ and I started thinking, is there any way to shape my overall sound instead of just eq after guitar but before amp? Or would I need an FX loop to do that?
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 12:16:46 PM »

Yo darkburst, what is this DI jack for in the back. And I recently bought a new EQ and I started thinking, is there any way to shape my overall sound instead of just eq after guitar but before amp? Or would I need an FX loop to do that?

Yeah you'd want something with an FX loop. What are you using the EQ pedal for? You should be able to get what you need with the controls on your guitar and amp.
BP
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 02:43:53 PM »

true on that with Groove Tubes & relabeling. A lot of companies do that. I'd take Darkburst's advice on tubes  yes

Slash use to use the boss eq in his fx loop I think...   probably just to boost for leads & feedback & what have you...

i dunno i'm bored & trying to stay out of the gnr forum as the intelligence level has got me weirded out with that story  Lips Sealed .

/bp

electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 08:11:46 PM »

I bought an EQ to give my mids a boost and shape my over all tone. I cant really do that with a bass, treble and mid knobs, or much to my liking.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: