Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:09:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227897 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Hey Chef, these guys are killing free speech
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hey Chef, these guys are killing free speech  (Read 10180 times)
Sterlingdog
« on: March 26, 2006, 03:42:49 PM »

The Sunday Times  March 26, 2006

Hey Chef, these guys are killing free speech
Andrew Sullivan

We have a new cartoon-blasphemy scandal. No, it?s not Islamists burning down Kentucky Fried Chicken stores in Pakistan because a few Danish cartoonists had the gall to draw the prophet Muhammad. Now it?s Scientology versus the popular and hilarious cartoon television programme South Park. And the Scientologists, like the Islamists before them, are winning.

South Park is a potty-mouthed series created by two young iconoclasts, Matt Stone and Trey Parker. It features a group of nine-year-old cardboard cut-out pals whose adventures include run-ins with a talking piece of Christmas poo, Jesus, Saddam Hussein and Mel Gibson. The show is both highbrow, it has dissected left-wing political correctness along with Vatican hypocrisy, and lowbrow.

Yes, Paris Hilton once entered a ?whore-off? contest with a gay character called Mr Slave. The show is as offensive as it is inspired: the first truly post-PC television adventure. It is also brave. It doesn?t only skewer political ideology, it also aims square at religions. It has mocked Catholicism, Mormonism, evangelicalism and even featured a cartoon Muhammad as a super-hero.

The Catholic League managed to stop a rerun of an episode called Bloody Mary. But now things have become really ugly. Though South Park is broadcast in Britain one episode has never been aired in the UK, and has just been pulled in the US. The show mocked Scientology. In the episode one of the kids, Stan, takes a Scientology ?stress test? and does so well he is hailed as the reincarnation of L Ron Hubbard, the science-fiction writer who started Scientology.

Suddenly the child is mobbed. John Travolta shows up. Stan is sent to his room, where he finds Tom Cruise. When Stan tells Cruise what he thinks of his acting skills, Cruise is so crushed to have been dissed by the new prophet of Scientology that he runs into a closet and won?t come out. A chorus of people then implore Cruise to ?come out of the closet?. Not exactly subtle. But it?s a cartoon; the episode begins with a disclaimer that none of this is supposed to be mistaken for reality.

In the US all hell broke loose when the episode was broadcast. One of the show?s cartoon stars, an oversexed, overweight African-American chef in the school cafeteria, is voiced by Isaac Hayes, the soul singer best known for singing the theme song for Shaft. Hayes, it turns out, is a Scientologist.

At first he seemed to have no problem with the episode. He told the American satirical magazine The Onion that he often had to defend the show?s edginess: ?I told them not to take this stuff seriously. If you do, you?ll get in trouble. Just enjoy it.?

That was January 4. By January 18 Hayes had been admitted to hospital for ?exhaustion?, and a friend subsequently said he?d had a stroke. Eight days ago Hayes quit the show, accusing it of religious ?bigotry?. (Chef has since been outed as a paedophile, fallen off a bridge, been mauled by a mountain lion and died.) Then the Scientology episode rerun was abruptly yanked from the schedule.

News reports say that Viacom, the company that owns Comedy Central, made the decision. Viacom also owns Paramount movie studios, which has spent a small fortune on Mission: Impossible III starring Cruise, a Scientologist. He denies any connection. Viacom refuses to say why it hasn?t put the episode back on the air. South Park fans have started a petition.

And so we are back where we were with the Muhammad cartoons. Someone somewhere won?t let you see the Scientology episode of South Park. You can go to the Comedy Central website and view it on the internet ? the last refuge for free speech. But you won?t see it on television. In a battle between satire and religion, although some deny that Scientology deserves that moniker, religion wins again.

This is, of course, a trivial story in many ways. South Park is preternaturally puerile (though it remains one of the most inspired pieces of sane lunacy out there). There are wars going on. Who cares if one silly episode of a silly series gets pulled?

Well: count me as one who does care. In the mansion of free speech cartoons have an honourable room. You can say things in cartoon form that you could never put into words or enact with real live human beings. You can turn politicians into unearthly creatures; you can portray the powerful as fools and liars; you can mock pretension of all sorts with an abandon and visual wit the written word cannot match. You can create fantasy worlds that make arguments that would be libellous or untrue in other contexts.

In the cartoon in question no one alleged that Cruise was gay. They constructed a scene where he was in a closet and others were urging him to come out of it. And it?s this artful ability to say in cartoon form what you cannot say in any other without a libel writ that makes cartoons irreplaceable.

In the Parker-Stone puppet film, Team America, you get to see Michael Moore explode as a suicide bomber. In the sublime South Park movie Saddam Hussein has a gay love affair with Satan. Cartoons and puppetry, as the classic series Spitting Image proved, can convey truths and explore fantasies no other form can.

We need those truths and benefit from those fantasies. A free society survives partly because the powerful are mocked, and their pretensions undermined. Religions, which guard their own illusions carefully, are particularly ripe for satire. And they should be.

Whenever one human being is claiming to tell the truth about the meaning of life he is making a very powerful claim ? and in a free society he also runs the risk of getting a raspberry. Laughter matters because piety begets power.

Orwell once remarked that one reason fascism never took off in Britain was because the sight of a goose-stepping soldier would prompt your average Englishman to giggle. Someone is now silencing the giggles. And our world is a lot creepier because of it.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 03:52:52 PM »

The new episode seemed like a personal attack against Isaac Hayes rather than Scientology. They were basically saying that he doesn't know how to think for himself and he's a blind follower.
wheelz1045
Opening Act

Hi There

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 03:56:22 PM »

Obviously that guy needs to go out more and stop watching so much television....
Sterlingdog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 04:30:52 PM »

The new episode seemed like a personal attack against Isaac Hayes rather than Scientology. They were basically saying that he doesn't know how to think for himself and he's a blind follower.

I believe it was.  And if I'm not mistaken, they are 2 different episodes.  Chef wasn't killed in the scientology episode, he was killed after Hayes quit because he objected to the scientology episode.  Which of course was the ultimate in hypocrisy. 
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 12:04:48 PM »

this is why i hate South Park. They mock every single religion possible and i think it's indeed ridiculous. South Park should never have been aired imo

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:08:33 PM »

this is why i hate South Park. They mock every single religion possible and i think it's indeed ridiculous. South Park should never have been aired imo

and why should religion be exempt from ridicule?
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:16:43 PM »

disrespecting personal beliefs of people. Debates can be made about religion but mockery is awful

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Sterlingdog
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 12:21:59 PM »

disrespecting personal beliefs of people. Debates can be made about religion but mockery is awful

Then I'd say you completely missed the point of the article. 

Read this part:

We need those truths and benefit from those fantasies. A free society survives partly because the powerful are mocked, and their pretensions undermined. Religions, which guard their own illusions carefully, are particularly ripe for satire. And they should be.

Whenever one human being is claiming to tell the truth about the meaning of life he is making a very powerful claim ? and in a free society he also runs the risk of getting a raspberry. Laughter matters because piety begets power.

Orwell once remarked that one reason fascism never took off in Britain was because the sight of a goose-stepping soldier would prompt your average Englishman to giggle. Someone is now silencing the giggles. And our world is a lot creepier because of it.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 01:35:09 PM by Sterling » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 12:55:57 PM »

They make fun of everything: Religion, sexuality, various mental states, culture, children, grownups, rules, laws, movie stars, rock stars, country starts, themselves.........and of course John stamos brother.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 01:06:25 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 01:15:03 PM »

What gets to me most about this is not the fact that a South Park episode is not being aired (although I do absolutely love the show) but the hypocrasy of Isaac Hayes. He's put his name and voice (and to some extent his image) to a cartoon for comin close to ten years now that's ridiculed anything and everything they could. They've even had a go at the KKK and Hayes is a black man. And now because something he's into is ridiculed he packs up and leaves. That really pisses me off.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 01:17:09 PM »

South Park rules ok Don't take it so seriously..

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 04:26:54 PM »

What gets to me most about this is not the fact that a South Park episode is not being aired (although I do absolutely love the show) but the hypocrasy of Isaac Hayes. He's put his name and voice (and to some extent his image) to a cartoon for comin close to ten years now that's ridiculed anything and everything they could. They've even had a go at the KKK and Hayes is a black man. And now because something he's into is ridiculed he packs up and leaves. That really pisses me off.

yup yup and more yup.
2NaFish
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 04:36:44 PM »

Why is it awful? Anyone can hold a personal belief close to themselves on any subject. If people choose to be offended then they can be offended by anything.

And i'd contest thats it is being mocked. It is ridiculed. However, ridicule, by its very nature is deserving of itself as religion is pretty ridiculous. Mockery is different.
Elrothiel
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 05:37:02 PM »

Everything needs to be ridiculed every so often. Personally I think religion bloody well deserves it!! People have these ideas about what happens after death and they're SO scared of living an eternity in hell that they worship some random deity that was written about in a story book thousands of years ago!! Roll Eyes

Of course religion should be mocked! The very idea of being punished by something that doesn't exist for NOT worshipping something that doesn't exist.... its laughable!!

Now I understand that I may have offended a whole bunch of people by saying this, and for that I'm sorry.

But I just expressed my opinion. And I'm not going to be afraid of expressing it. And I sure as hell am not going to be chastised for expressing it!!

Isaac Hayes should quit being such a baby and go back to South Park.

"Oh noes!! They made fun of Scientology!! I don't like them anymore, even though they've kept my name in the public's knowledge for the past 10 years!!!"

Roll Eyes
2NaFish
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 06:41:25 PM »

Now I understand that I may have offended a whole bunch of people by saying this, and for that I'm sorry.

Dont be sorry. As you say yourself, you're doing nothing wrong. Its other people that choose to be offened. Its their problem.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 06:53:17 PM »

I love South Park. I know that they mock everything under the sun and that's fine. I can handle a joke.

But it bothers me when people knock others' religion. There's a lot of things I don't believe in, but I'm not going to put people down and tell them they're ridiculous and wrong for believing in that particular faith. It's about having respect.
Elrothiel
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 07:09:10 PM »

Don't be sorry. As you say yourself, you're doing nothing wrong. It's other people that choose to be offended. It's their problem.

Cheers 2NaFish! ok beer
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 07:12:03 PM »

Religion is ridiculous and needs to be mocked.  yes

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 07:13:22 PM »

Religion is ridiculous and needs to be mocked.? yes

GNR is ridiculous and needs to be mocked.

How does it feel when it's something you care about?
2NaFish
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 07:22:24 PM »

Religion is ridiculous and needs to be mocked.  yes

GNR is ridiculous and needs to be mocked.

How does it feel when it's something you care about?

I was hoping someone would say that. Correct. Gn'R are often ridiculous and deserve to be mocked. Religions are often ridiculous and deserve to be mocked also.

I get defensive and annoyed. As you would expect.

However, i don't propose we ban people from insulting gn'r just because i like it. The same goes for people who hold religious views.

Religions is not special. No matter how many people think that their's is. It is not. Gn'R is not special. No matter what i think.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: