Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Can I Get Another Box Of Crackers, Please?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can I Get Another Box Of Crackers, Please?  (Read 3405 times)
western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« on: December 28, 2008, 12:01:02 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081227/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cracker_box_money

IRVINE, Calif. ? The box of crackers Debra Rogoff bought from the grocery store had some crackerjack in it ? an envelope stuffed with $10,000.

Yet the Irvine woman was more curious than ecstatic about her daughter's find. After all, who would leave money in such a place?

"We just thought, 'This is someone's money,'" she said. "We would never feel good about spending it."

Rather than go on a shopping spree, the family called police and was initially told the money could be part of a drug drop.

Police later heard from store managers at Whole Foods in Tustin that an elderly woman had come in a few days earlier, hysterical because she had mistakenly returned a box of crackers with her life savings inside. In a mix-up the store restocked the box rather than composting it.

The Lake Forest woman, whose identity was not released, had lost faith in her bank and decided the box would be a safer place for the money.

Luckily for her, the box of Annie's Sour Cream and Onion Cheddar Bunny crackers were bought by the Rogoffs, who discovered the crisp $100 bills in an unmarked white envelope on Oct. 10.

The Rogoffs never heard from the woman and didn't receive a reward, but Rogoff did return to Whole Foods a couple weeks later.

"I asked them if I could have another box of crackers," she said with a laugh. The store obliged.

___

Information from: The Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com

---

My thoughts: I think this illustrates how humans beings can be dumb sometimes, but in some instances, other humans beings can really show their character.

I remember one time I found a wallet in the bath-room and it had $160 in it and i really could've used that money, but I fought my urges, gave it to my supervisor and found out it was someone who worked with me. But, wasn't that guy ever thankful that someone less honest didn't take his wallet?

Your guyses thoughts?

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:52:35 PM »

Well I think some common courtesy would have been nice, in regards to some kind of kickback for the safe return of her funds.  This woman doesn't understand how lucky she is to have such honest people to have found and returned what was probably her life savings.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

Her life savings? Jeez...

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 03:22:01 PM »

Reminds me of a story a good friend told me.  his mom liked to keep her cash and valuables in the house instead of a bank. so she put her engagement ring in a tea bag in the back of their kitchen cabinet.  my friend was sick so he made himself some tea...

most expensive cup of tea ever Smiley

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Albert S Miller
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:58:58 AM »

Well my thinking is... It was mentioned in the article that she did not trust her bank, therefore removed her money, tends to make me think that may be all she had that's all.  Regardless, it wasn't a small chunk of change.  Wonder if maybe after all that, she may trust a banking system again lol.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »

Well my thinking is... It was mentioned in the article that she did not trust her bank, therefore removed her money, tends to make me think that may be all she had that's all.  Regardless, it wasn't a small chunk of change.  Wonder if maybe after all that, she may trust a banking system again lol.

Yeah, but if it goes through like it's supposed to, the whole neighborhood knows her, they'll expose her.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »

She only saved $10,000 over her lifetime?

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Albert S Miller
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »

She probably had more, and maybe that is all that remains, at least she has that, cuz she almost lost it.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:13:27 PM »

Why do old people do this shit?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Albert S Miller
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 12:16:44 AM »

They say you come into the world a baby and you also leave it pretty much in the same fashion, people just get old and tired, it's lifes process, the poor old bod and it's functions flat out just get pooped out, the memory is usually one of the first to start fading.

western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 12:25:08 AM »

Old people do tend to believe in the old way of doing things.  ok

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
Albert S Miller
Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »

Old people do tend to believe in the old way of doing things.  ok
Yep! I agree with that as well.

victor08
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 01:54:43 PM »

i would have kept the money. just being honest....  smoking
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 12:05:02 AM »

While helping my uncle clean up his room to paint it, I found a shoe box full of 100's.  My aunt liked to hide cash just in case she needed it and because of Alzheimer's, she forgot about it.  We went to the bank that instant and bought T-Bills.  Sad really,  older people horde because they didn't have much growing up like my aunt and although they could afford it, they never would go on real vacations because of fear.  After all of that hording, the money all went to a nursing home and nursing care in the end.  Too bad I'm honest?  Nah I sleep real well at night

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 12:23:07 AM »

While helping my uncle clean up his room to paint it, I found a shoe box full of 100's.  My aunt liked to hide cash just in case she needed it and because of Alzheimer's, she forgot about it.  We went to the bank that instant and bought T-Bills.  Sad really,  older people horde because they didn't have much growing up like my aunt and although they could afford it, they never would go on real vacations because of fear.  After all of that hording, the money all went to a nursing home and nursing care in the end.  Too bad I'm honest?  Nah I sleep real well at night

My Nigerian business partner has promised me an entire basement full of 100's once I my next check clears.

I tried to get some old friends to go in on this business with me, but they backed out...chump asses.

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 12:27:16 AM »

My Nigerian business partner has promised me an entire basement full of 100's once I my next check clears.

I tried to get some old friends to go in on this business with me, but they backed out...chump asses.
Hey can I get some of that action?  I could use the bread?  I'll wire you 10K right now.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 03:06:59 AM »

this is hilarious... people are crazy!!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 04:19:49 AM »

What's so surprising? Most people on this planet are poor...

Fuck 'Em All.
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »

Ha Ha that's just funny....  We all have 2 bags full.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: