Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:37:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Supernova, rock star is on now
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Supernova, rock star is on now  (Read 52334 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #300 on: September 15, 2006, 06:36:18 PM »

D - i disagree. times are changing. and i understand what you're saying about selling out and maintaining street cred. but it's tough to make it. and reality TV is one method.

so i don't think reality TV NECESSARILY kill all your cred. it is possible to do reality TV and be taken seriously.

and you actually mentioned two major examples to back it up. kelly clarkson and carrie underwood. that's 2 of the first 4 AI winners and they are extremely successful and VERY respected musicians.

so i really don't know how you can make your argument.

another example.....i think a bunch of people have major respect for Storm Large, and would love to see her perform or hear some music from her. she's a household name with lots of cred. yet none of us would have heard of her without the show.

and the traditional way doesn't always work out for people. how much cred is there is signing a deal with a record label and becoming a slave to them, and having them control and change your music?

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #301 on: September 15, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »

What if Storm had won though? Thats my point.

She wins, she does 1 album with Supernova, one tour, Tommy decides to quit and it would be very hard to rebound from that.

DiLana still has a career as long as she gets away from Gilby and Dave.

Storm has a career as long as she stays away from Gilby and Dave.'

Lukas however is screwed.? ?Supernova will make one record, it will sell about 250,000 copies, Tommy will go back to Motley, Jason will futher along Voivod and then Lukas is left out in the cold.? I can't see him having any kind of respectable career after this cause he will always be Lukas, Singer of the failed reality TV band Supernova.

How about Marty from last season? He hasnt had a career.

U would think storm and DiLana would have a better chance but u never know.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #302 on: September 15, 2006, 06:49:06 PM »

i have to disagree to D...sorry but Lukas has been a struggleing musician for years always trying things and never being quite able to make it...I admit i;'ve never been a fan ?of his before the show but I'm sold for life on this guy. I've read his biographies and shit that ive seen and managed to find both his albums...i mean it's not the greatest stuff but it's pretty damn good for indy releases, like i said earlier he did have a record contract up here in canada for winning a contest for the best unsigned band in canada, but after one album he was never able to get over. he also did the theme song for BeyBlade...if i woulda been in his shoes for the oportunity i woulda jumped at it too, I'm really looking forward to the release of this album.

another thing...up here we have a contest on the local radio station who give unsigned bands the chance to win a contract, a couple winners have done well...you may have heard of them i dunno how popular they are south of the border but their name is Finger11, but basically it was fans call t he station and vote for them and that particular year they won.

back to lukas, he's surrounded by solid veteran musicians, if he has his way he'll be able to rework a coupel tunes to his likeing and the album might be a pleasant surprise...we'll have to wait and see peace

i think gilby is in supernova solidly for now, here's an exerpt from his recent htgth interview

C: When are you gonna release another solo album?

G: (Laughs) Well, not for a while. I was planning on doing it this year. When I got back from the MC5 tour, my job was to write a new solo record. But now that Supernova is happening, those songs that I was working on, I'm gonna be giving them to Supernova. So, if they won't make it, it'll be the same thing with GN'R, I'll make one next year. Let's just see how Supernova goes. I mean, one thing about making solo records is, it never goes away. There was a few years ago, I actually said I'm not doing it anymore, I'm done. And I really did quit. And I just kinda felt that I was cheating myself. It's a really good form of expression for me and I should keep doing it.

C: So are you writing new music now?

G: Yes, that's what I've been doing. I have a lot of really cool new songs that I'm really happy about. And like I said they're gonna go to Supernova, if we don't dig them they'll go to a new solo record.

Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #303 on: September 15, 2006, 08:37:34 PM »

Lukas HAD a career.

Its a reality TV Career and its a built in fanbase but its not a true fanbase, those people are fickle. American Idols get millions and millions of votes but when it comes time to buy the records where are all those fans?

If your point was true, those artists would have 20 year careers and they dont.

Bo Bice didn't have a record deal before Idol but what did American Idol do for his career? He made one record which absolutely flopped and his career is over.

Had he not been on American Idol he could've potentially still got a record deal but it would've been more authentic and he would've gained TRUE Fans, not just reality TV fans who forget about u as soon as the next season starts.

Sure its a gimmicky way to get a record deal but Id rather get one the old fashioned way or not at all.

I don't want a record deal because Reality TV made me some product to sell to people.

Lukas sold out all credibility for 15 minutes of fame.

After years of doing it the right way, he sold out and took the easy way and his career will be finished in less than a year.

I am in no way dissing Lukas.? Its just his original song Head Spin is 100 times better than all Supernova songs combined.

Where did those years of doing it the 'right way' get him?? I'll tell you where they got him, they got him frying chicken wings at Hooters!? Wow!? Great career!? His 15 minutes of fame bought him a lot more than those years ever afforded him.? He now has the opportunity to record an album and front a band on a tour.? Tell me, where was he booked before he took the stage on rockstar?? How many record contract offers was he considering?

Supernova -- or whatever they decide to call themselves, since they aren't allowed to use the name supernova.? Interestingly enough, the name belongs to another California based band that's been around for 17 years.? Haven't heard of them?? Oh... that's probably because they're UNSIGNED!? -- probably won't last more than the 1 album and tour.? But that's 1 album and 1 tour more than Lukas was about to work on a few months ago.? As my previous point about the band Supernova suggests, it's not that easy to break into the music business and make a name for yourself.? Lukas now has his foot in the door, what he chooses to do with his career after this album and tour is over -- is up to him, but he at least will have more opportunities available to him than he would have had if he had never done rockstar.

How many people besides Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood have any kind of career in music? NONE!

Do you actually read the stuff you write??

Again, you're counting commerical success as a career, so ok... let's talk commercial success.?

Bo Bice's first single debuted at #2 on the billboard singles chart.? hmmm... not bad for someone with no career in music.? His debut album debuted on the album charts at #4.? again... not too shabby.? Especially for someone who had no contract BEFORE he did the reality show... and while we don't know for sure if he wouldn't have been discovered in some other way, I'm betting that he was trying to build a career on his own before he auditioned for American Idol.

Clay Aiken's debut single debuted at #1, and has been certified platinum, and was the best selling single of 2003.? Hey!? that's pretty darned good for someone who has no career in music... no credibility.? His debut album went triple platinum.? Not bad in this day and age of album piracy and free music downloads.

Ruben Studdard's debut album went platinum.?

Fantasia's debut album went platinum.

Chris Daughtry has a recording contract and will be releasing his solo album this year.? If the 'scandal' that surrounded his leaving the show is any indication of his fanbase, I would say that he has a very successful career ahead of him.

These are but a few examples.? However, I should mention that since both Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson have been so enormously successful, your argument holds no water.? Someone CAN and HAS appeared on reality television and has made a successful career for themselves.?

It isn't career suicide to appear on reality television.? Unless actually HAVING a contract and a career in their chosen field is considered career suicide... but you'd have a real hard time convincing me of that.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #304 on: September 15, 2006, 09:39:54 PM »

Tied Up u are missing the point.

Bo Bice's CD stiffed, I think it barely even went Gold. Clay Aiken is a joke, Fantasia's album didn't sell well. Remember she got probably over 20 million votes on Idol, so selling 1 million albums is very underwhelming.

SO let me ask u a question.

If theiralbums didn't sell well WITH all the American Idol faithful, how the hell are they gonna sell when those people dont care about that batch of American Idols and are onto the next batch?

I like Lukas but I want more for the guy. What's he gonna do once Supernova make one album and then quit?? Where will he go? Im sayin he would've had a better career had he lost on Supernova instead of winning.

All his hard work will be for nothing and he will be back workin at Hooters.

Tommy Lee isnt gonna stick with this group. Jason Newsted isnt gonna stick with this group.

So by saying he committed career suicide, basically Im sayin any shot at a credible solo career is over.? Cause once u front a band like Supernova, U cant go back to being a solo guy.

I think the reason none of these people made it is cause they basically cant write songs.? They are COVER musicians and Ive always preached on here. Cover Musicians are great at clubs,parties and karaoke bars, but until u can write your own great songs, U are useless and nothing to record labels.

how else can u explain DiLana not being a major star?? U watch the show and u see why, she cant write.

These people are great lounge singers, great Cover band singers.? Toby's song was good but wore on your nerves quick.

Lukas' Headspin was pretty good but Id like to hear 12 to 20 songs to see how prolilfic and diverse he is.

For your examples.

out of all these though, who are credible?

Here is an example and I hate to say this but it is the truth.

If Jon Bon Jovi emailed me and told me he loved my stuff and wanted to produce me. Id say NO.

Hard to believe? not really cause even though I love Bon Jovi and they are as famous as it gets, for some reason their "Cred" isnt that great. I know if I came out with a CD and Jon Bon Jovi was the producer, I would have no Cred and little chance at a career.

One album isnt a career. 3 years isnt a career.

These people are products of Reality TV and they can ride that for an album maybe 2 if they are really good. But 95 percent of these people end up with nothing.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:41:29 PM by D » Logged

Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2006, 12:17:05 AM »

No, D, you're missing the point.? See... this is what they wanted for themselves.? It's not about what YOU want for them, it's about what they want -- they made the choices to put them where they are... they apparently DON'T consider it career suicide to have their talents exposed to the rest of the world.?

Selling 1 million albums is not underwhelming in this day and age of music downloads.? These days, people download music, they don't go buy music anymore.? Going platinum now is a lot harder than it was back before the days of music downloads.?

So by saying he committed career suicide, basically Im sayin any shot at a credible solo career is over.? Cause once u front a band like Supernova, U cant go back to being a solo guy.

Who says?? He's a young guy, this is just the tip of the ice burg for him, you don't know what the future holds for Lukas.? Where his future goes from here is all up to him.? ? If he performs well on tour, and performs well on the album, there will be enough interest in him to allow him to carve a solo career for himself.

My whole point is that sometimes you have to be willing to make sacrifices for the possibility of future gain.? That means that sometimes you have to do things that are unconventional to get the exposure your talent needs to become a success.? Appearing on a reality show doesn't make you a sell out, it means that you've got the courage to actually make your career work for you rather than sitting around waiting for something to happen to you.? It will never happen if you aren't willing to take some chances.?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #306 on: September 16, 2006, 01:47:11 AM »

How many copies does everyone on here predict Supernova will sell

I say 400,000 tops.

Do u honestly believe anyone is gonna take this band seriously?

Lukas will make minimum money and his career will be over.? Thats how these shows go.? Ever heard of Justin Guarini?

Chris Daughtry is gonna fuckin sing for Fuel.......... Fuel's career was over after their last record flopped, so he is gonna have as much cred as the fake asses who front Journey and Skid Row.

Yeah u can call it a career and if thats what they want, if there goal is to be a product and record an album of songs already written with little input..... all power to them but I could never do it. I guess Ill sit in my basement and dream cause to me and to quote the great movie "Rock Star"

I'd rather fail as me than succeed as someone elses product.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 01:50:55 AM by D » Logged

Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #307 on: September 16, 2006, 03:11:47 AM »

Um... no, Chris Daughtry turned down Fuel's offer.  Or didn't you hear about that? 

You can try to sugar coat it with as many lofty ideals as you want.  Lukas is ultimately the product of his own choices.  He just chose to do something rather than to wait around for something to happen for him.  It's called taking charge of your own destiny. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2006, 03:31:50 AM »

Um... no, Chris Daughtry turned down Fuel's offer.? Or didn't you hear about that??

You can try to sugar coat it with as many lofty ideals as you want.? Lukas is ultimately the product of his own choices.? He just chose to do something rather than to wait around for something to happen for him.? It's called taking charge of your own destiny.?

U dont think he would have been better off not winning?

Thats all Im saying. I think DiLana and Storm will have a much better career than Lukas.. they got on the show, got their exposure and left before they had to play with supernova.

Im glad the Daughtry dude turned that down. NOW that would've been career suicide.

pasnow
VIP

« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2006, 10:03:33 AM »

I think going in the band knew it was a one-shot deal. 1 album, 1 tour, that's it. I do think the song "It's all love" that they played is pretty good (kudos to Gilby), and I think Lukas' song "Headspin" could be released as a single. Overall, I think based on the viewers of the show & their curiousity, they may sell close to a million records, but most of that is due to people just curious to hear how it came out, not how great a band they are.

Again, it's all a novelty act, and even though they may get 2 or 3 hits off this record, the band will say "Thanks, it's been fun" then we'll never hear of this Lukas guy again. Much like winners of Survivor, The Apprentice etc... Face it, they're not going to be the new Audioslave or anything..

Dilana, well it seems Gilby is willing to write songs for her, and based on that, she might, might put out an album that will be moderately successful, maybe 400,000 copies, with a mini-hit or two. Kinda like a rocker-chick Pink type album.. Nothing credible.

Storm we'll never hear from again.. Or anyone else from that show, aside from Navarro & Brooke Burke love
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2006, 11:55:11 PM »

I think going in the band knew it was a one-shot deal. 1 album, 1 tour, that's it. I do think the song "It's all love" that they played is pretty good (kudos to Gilby), and I think Lukas' song "Headspin" could be released as a single. Overall, I think based on the viewers of the show & their curiousity, they may sell close to a million records, but most of that is due to people just curious to hear how it came out, not how great a band they are.

Again, it's all a novelty act, and even though they may get 2 or 3 hits off this record, the band will say "Thanks, it's been fun" then we'll never hear of this Lukas guy again. Much like winners of Survivor, The Apprentice etc... Face it, they're not going to be the new Audioslave or anything..

Dilana, well it seems Gilby is willing to write songs for her, and based on that, she might, might put out an album that will be moderately successful, maybe 400,000 copies, with a mini-hit or two. Kinda like a rocker-chick Pink type album.. Nothing credible.

Storm we'll never hear from again.. Or anyone else from that show, aside from Navarro & Brooke Burke love

Let me ask u a question.

How many hit singles or albums has Gilby ever wrote or produced.......... ZERO

Thats my point.  She needs to get as far away from him and this show as she can.

Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #311 on: September 17, 2006, 05:56:25 PM »

Im thinking about buying supernova tix for the fox thate in detroit ... if i do i have fulfiled one of my goals this year

1 Supernova Tix
2 GNR Tix
3 Red Hot Chili Peppers Tix
 ok

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
sandman
Legend

« Reply #312 on: September 17, 2006, 08:25:50 PM »

if SN makes a great hard rock album, it will sell millions.

that's the bottom line. kelly clarkson has sold millions cause her album is incredible. but everyone predicted it wouldn't sell very much.

bo bice's music sucks and was obviously influenced by the corporate record label. it sounds cheesy. that's why it didn't sell. not because he was on AI.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #313 on: September 19, 2006, 09:17:34 AM »

well now they have their site up and running,

http://www.intothesupernova.com/

they have studio streaming of the 2 songs Lukas performed after winning

"It's all Love" and "Be Yourself and 5 Other Cliche's" I'm really impressed with the sound of the music gilby and jason both stand out nicely rather than Tommy drowning out everything like he did on the show, and Lukas just sounds amazing...love his voice

album is out nov 21

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2006, 10:03:52 AM »

well now they have their site up and running,

http://www.intothesupernova.com/

they have studio streaming of the 2 songs Lukas performed after winning

"It's all Love" and "Be Yourself and 5 Other Cliche's" I'm really impressed with the sound of the music gilby and jason both stand out nicely rather than Tommy drowning out everything like he did on the show, and Lukas just sounds amazing...love his voice

album is out nov 21

Based on those 2 tracks...I'll buy it.  Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #315 on: September 19, 2006, 10:07:47 AM »

Based on those 2 tracks...I'll buy it.? Smiley

yeah totally...gilby's got some nice fills in there and Jason got a really cool riff at the start of that track...I'm excited for the release, I'll be getting it too beer

Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #316 on: September 19, 2006, 10:51:22 AM »

Actually, I'll hear from Storm again, seeing as I live about a half an hour from Portland which is where she is located.  She's a pretty big deal here.  From what I hear, she's going to be recording. 

How many copies does everyone on here predict Supernova will sell

I'd rather fail as me than succeed as someone elses product.

D, you are so lost on 'hit singles/albums' - and that's sad.  Commercial success is not the measure of a good song.  There are many bands/artists that enjoy/have enjoyed great commercial success -- does that make them great songwriters, or even great artists?  No... it just means that they had the benefit of good marketing.  The good stuff... doesn't always rise to the top, D. 

I'm going to use the example of visual artistry here, because, well, I'm a visual artist.  Vincent Van Gogh sold ONE, yes ONE painting during his lifetime, for an amount that would amount to about 400 francs now.  Not so amazing.  Especially considering that NOW... his art sells for record breaking amounts.  Millions and millions of dollars. 

However, during his lifetime, he didn't have any 'hits.'  He wasn't selling his paintings... if he were alive today, experiencing the same kind of 'success' selling his paintings as he did during his own lifetime, he would hardly be considered successful. 

My point is, COMMERCIAL success is not a true measure of the artist.  We can't accurately judge Dilana's writing ability based on a few edited clips from a television show.  We can't say that Lukas will or will not have a career after a short-lived run with the Tommy Lee project.  We don't know what these artists are capable of when they've had additional opportunities presented to them. 

Dilana should accept any help that she can get along the way.  Maybe Gilby isn't the greatest offer out there, but it's something more than she was offered a few months ago when she was a struggling musician trying to get a break.  Everyone's got to start somewhere.  Just because these people (Gilby and Dave) don't have the kind of success that you consider to be substantial doesn't make them less of an artist.  I mean... if commercial success or ability to sell records or write music that sells is a measure of an artist...where does that leave you, dude? 

Lukas may be a 'product' of the Tommy Lee project... but you know what, look what he gets from it:  a chance to record on an album and a chance to be on tour, HEADLINING the venues where he'll be appearing.  That's a pretty amazing trip from working at Hooters a few months ago. 

The truth of the matter is, we are all products of something.  Lukas was a product of Hooters before he became a product of this new project.   We all represent and reflect the choices we make in life.  Maybe you don't necessarily believe in the choices he's made, but I mean, he's going into the recording studio, and he's going on tour.  Where are you going, D?  What do your choices reflect?  What product are you selling?  I'm not going to state it outright, because I would hope that you could take a good look and realize what I'm saying here. 

Hmmmm... let's see... former Hooters cook becomes lead vocalist for a one-shot band, gets to record an album and go on a headlining tour with same band, and then after that, who knows what will happen.... VS. living with girlfriend's parents as an unemployed rocker wannabe who has yet to sell 1 song. 

hmmm... difficult choice. 
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #317 on: September 19, 2006, 11:19:36 AM »

im sorry D.
but if gilby hasnt produced or written a hit single, does that make him a bad musician?

have you heard Tiuana Jail, Cure Me Or Kill Me, Zip Gun, Captain Chaos, Alien, Monkey Chow, Wasnt  yesterday Great and so forth?

gilby has LOADS of fucking great songs! and calling him a nobody would be like calling my shit for the next Axl Rose....

just cuz ones record label doesnt give the artist enough promotion doesnt make them untalanted or any less talanted then the high profiled band...

the only reason Bon Jovi got huge was the look.. dont think the music had too much to say there.
i mean, yeah, the music is OK, but if they looked like shit they would end up in the gutter.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 11:23:17 AM by Captain P?l » Logged

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #318 on: September 19, 2006, 11:29:10 AM »

Based on those 2 tracks...I'll buy it.? Smiley

yeah totally...gilby's got some nice fills in there and Jason got a really cool riff at the start of that track...I'm excited for the release, I'll be getting it too beer

My only complaint, and it's been one since the show started, is they need another guitarist to play rhythm.  Hell, they should just ask Magni to join and play (he wouldn't, I'm sure...).  But they still sound very good in the studio even without it.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2006, 11:32:08 AM »

Actually, I'll hear from Storm again, seeing as I live about a half an hour from Portland which is where she is located.? She's a pretty big deal here.? From what I hear, she's going to be recording.?

I have some friends up in that neck of the woods who extoll the virtues of Storm Large and the Ballz.  From the little I've heard, she's pretty darn good (and successful) in her own right up there.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: