Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:53:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When Did GNR "Jump the Shark?"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Did GNR "Jump the Shark?"  (Read 46660 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2005, 03:19:17 PM »

Mark, interesting way of looking at it. I don't really think that is when the shark jump occured. But I can see why some do. Axl does seem to be a bit of a primadonna on that interview. Not many agree with me, but I think the shark jump occured when people realized the band couldn't create any new material without Izzy. From 1993 on, GNR ceased to be a band and turned into a spoof of its former self.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2005, 03:11:01 AM »

Ya know the dude before me might've made some great points, but I'll never know cause that's way too long a post on a message board.

oh you lazy bumm,,,

its all good
Just watch the MTV interview with Axl and Kurt Loder from 1990 when he's talking about UYI and you'll be watching the beginning of when GNR jumped the shark. It all happened over a 4-5 year period but it started with that interviews.

If you want to know how it started with that interview, then read the post.
But I do appreciate your interest.

love
MNR

mark, interesting post

do you know of anywhere I can download that interview?
also, I agree on the Farm Aid perfomance  - I have only seen Down on the Farm and it is blistering, have never been able to track down the rest of the performance though

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2005, 06:11:09 PM »

Ya know the dude before me might've made some great points, but I'll never know cause that's way too long a post on a message board.

oh you lazy bumm,,,

its all good
Just watch the MTV interview with Axl and Kurt Loder from 1990 when he's talking about UYI and you'll be watching the beginning of when GNR jumped the shark. It all happened over a 4-5 year period but it started with that interviews.

love
MNR
yes the interview with him talking about the guys getting into shape, his injured foot, his slash joke about not touring for several months.. What a drastic change from 1991 to 1992.. Check indiana or st louis then see tokyo or paris..
Xx Estranged xX
Opening Act

« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2005, 09:00:22 PM »

To me GN'R will always be the original 5, so I think everything started to disintegrate when Steven was no longer in the group. But things really started when Izzy left. Sad
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2005, 11:49:32 PM »

I have read thru this thread and realized that 90% of the posters dont know what "Jump the Shark" means.

Jump the Shark is a "Happy Days" Reference. towards the end of the show there was an episode where Fonzy literaly jumped a shark with his motercycle. At that point Fonzy was no longer fonzy, he was a cartoon version of Fonzy.

so 'Jump the Shark" isn't when the band died, or when they began to go down hill. It is more when did they become a parody of themselves

here is another example from jumptheshark.com:

Beverly Hills, 90210

First Show

Last Show

Genre
 Drama

Network
 FOX

Slot Day
 Wednesday

Slot Time
 8 pm

Jumped The Shark when...
 Votes

Exit...Stage Left (Brenda)

Graduation (High School)

Exit...Stage Left (Brandon)

Never Jumped

badapple81
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2005, 05:36:35 AM »

oh you lazy bumm,,,

its all good

love
MNR
yes the interview with him talking about the guys getting into shape, his injured foot, his slash joke about not touring for several months.. What a drastic change from 1991 to 1992.. Check indiana or st louis then see tokyo or paris..

I agree, I really notice a difference suddenly between 91 and 92. When I first saw Indiana I noticed Axl seemed so much more AFD era in terms of how he talked on stage, the anger he conveyed through his stage presence etc.
dustNroses
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2005, 06:20:43 AM »

the time between releases is when they are above the shark..... when CD arrives ... they will land.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2005, 01:37:31 PM »

I have read thru this thread and realized that 90% of the posters dont know what "Jump the Shark" means.

Jump the Shark is a "Happy Days" Reference. towards the end of the show there was an episode where Fonzy literaly jumped a shark with his motercycle. At that point Fonzy was no longer fonzy, he was a cartoon version of Fonzy.

so 'Jump the Shark" isn't when the band died, or when they began to go down hill. It is more when did they become a parody of themselves

Yeah, I agree COma.  when did they start doing shit just to keep their fame going? or when it wasn't for the Music anymore but for the Money.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2005, 03:38:21 PM »

oh you lazy bumm,,,

its all good

love
MNR

I agree, I really notice a difference suddenly between 91 and 92. When I first saw Indiana I noticed Axl seemed so much more AFD era in terms of how he talked on stage, the anger he conveyed through his stage presence etc.

even though afd is my favorite era the idea whn the band changed they had ycbm out and they were playing shows in 1991 as just the guys in the band was great.. Then you see 1992 and it was a big joke overbloated mess.. Female backing, horn section, balloon of the afd monster.. The minute they brought outside people in it was getting played out.. So maybe they jumped the shark when izzy left..

The band could have had a wide range of music and still been bad ass.. They couldhave stayed just the guys rocking out without outsiders..
mick
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2005, 08:29:04 PM »

...........  And he really needs to stop sending his hired goons to the media saying how CD is "mindblowing", "insane", and "coming soon". I'm getting to the point where its like, Give it to us or shut the fuck up.

That time came almost 3 years ago...... Roll Eyes
Marc8382
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2005, 11:13:47 AM »

All this said, Axl has the chance to make an Aerosmithian type comeback with a solid album and successful tour. ?I would classify it a level above the Aero guys because of the membership of the band being a completely new entity.

I think the only way that Axl could make an Aerosmithian type comeback would be if he could reunite the old band.  Aerosmith didnt have their comback until every member was back in the band so Axl's new band just does not cut it for me. 
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2005, 05:19:06 PM »

Another minor shark jump, lets call it a 'tuna jump', was when GNR performed 'November Rain' with Elton John at the MTV awards. I am not a fan of this performance. Talk about overindulgence. Performing a song that people were sick of with a guy who doesn't even like the band. Axl and Elton both playing the piano and staring at each other the whole time. Pathetic! This was the perfect opportunity for GNR to show the world that they had something new to counteract the grunge movement. Instead we got this!

Chinese_esenihC
Opening Act

« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2005, 09:19:31 PM »

The addition of Matt Sorum was the first jump. 

There's a whole lot of other moments.  Bike shorts, the final videos, horn section & back up sungers...this worked with the Stones very well.  But GnR are not the Stones.  The whole bloated touring machine for UYI.
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2005, 10:55:23 PM »

when the original guys broke up

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2005, 08:38:38 PM »

None of them knew each other before GNR (except Izzy and Axl).

Not true.  Steven and Slash went to middle school and high school together
RichardNixon
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2005, 12:38:35 AM »

If "chinese democracy" sucks and is a flop, then GN'R have jumped the shark. As of now, they haven't, and I don't think they ever will.
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2005, 05:28:25 AM »

From about 1992ish to 2001 or so they were had officially jumped the shark.  So, with the new success of the old band's songs, did they somehow start a reverse jump the shark?

Help me Falcon (mr. technical).

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
KZiggy
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2005, 05:36:32 AM »

When Steven left.

Z

Not everything thats called Coca-Cola taste like Coca-Cola. Check out the real deal at www.beenafix.com
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2005, 05:52:43 AM »

just changing the band from the afd gnr into that illusion's circus as it steadily kept growing

Growing up with all parts of gnr I wasn't like wow so cool they have 3 chicks on the horn, thye have a keyboard players, they have two black or spanish women singing background vocals, axl has ninteen different wardrobes.. There's many cases were you can say they jumped the shark, getting bloated was one of them for me..
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2005, 05:55:53 AM »

Another minor shark jump, lets call it a 'tuna jump', was when GNR performed 'November Rain' with Elton John at the MTV awards. I am not a fan of this performance. Talk about overindulgence. Performing a song that people were sick of with a guy who doesn't even like the band. Axl and Elton both playing the piano and staring at each other the whole time. Pathetic! This was the perfect opportunity for GNR to show the world that they had something new to counteract the grunge movement. Instead we got this!

that's so funny.. the big bad rock n roll band hob nobbing with elton.. The grand pianos facing eachother... Well it was all about axl and his idol.. Maybe he took the name the blues from elton too hihi
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: