Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:42:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  solos
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: solos  (Read 4334 times)
MrBrownstone527
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: October 02, 2006, 04:35:38 AM »

I just thought about this recently, but why doesnt brain or tommy do any solos?

my guess for tommy is that maybe he is not the most technical player, but brain is really technical, hes an amazing drummer and yet we never see any solos

it was cool to see what sorum could do back in the day, i would definately want to see what brain could do

what do you guys think
yorkie81
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 04:42:38 AM »

The sorum solo is shocking, the only reason I got the UYI concerts on DVD when I had them on video was so I could skip that solo easier.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 04:43:54 AM »

Brain used to have a joint-solo with Bucket during 2002.

Honestly, drum solos are boring. Granted Brain's stuff was a helluva lot better than Matt's but it's still a drum solo.

Typically GNR didn't have too many solos with Duff. So I think the same holds true for Tommy.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
pollyblue
Rocker

t.w.a.t.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 05:29:08 AM »

am i the only one who liked matt's drumsolo?
he putted some really amazing technical stuff in it.
i used to play that solo too.
miss bomb
Rocker

nanook

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 05:48:30 AM »

i hate matt's solo in the dvd, apart from where duff comes in. looks and sounds pretty cool

im glad there arent any more solos, we have enough!

7.6.6,11.6.6,29.7.6x2,10.11.6
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:50:39 AM »

Brain solo would be cool. The only solo I dont care for much is Dizzy's. It seems to just go on and on for me. Dig the shit out of the guitar solo's. Really enjoy BEautiful with Richard and Robin. I think its really cool.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 06:01:57 AM »

Drum solo's of Matt were awesome!!! All solo's back in the day were awesome in comparison with the boring ones now.
But indeed, I would also love to see a drum solo of Brain, just to see how good he is.

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 07:10:35 AM »

would be cool, can't say that matts solos where that geat but they where ok.
Mikkel
Headliner

I like Grandaddy.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 08:06:39 AM »

Matt's solo rocks. I heard one of Brain's solos once when I accidentally pressed play on a drum machine.  peace

SammyD1st
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 08:14:26 AM »

Brain did a drum solo at Rock in Rio Lisbon.

Axl said "We're going to do something we don't usually do, because I think it will be fun. And espicially, the people that don't like it - it'll really annoy the shit out of them."

- SammyD1st
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 08:28:25 AM »

I still think it'd be neat if Tommy should get to play a solo song.  Maybe in between the opening band and GNR, or before the show starts, as as treat for the early goers, kinda like what Eddie Vedder does at PJ shows.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 08:30:12 AM »

While I don't particularly like Matt's drum solo during the Illusion tours, I still think he's a better drummer than Brain. There's a lot of talk about how great Brain is, and while he can play the old songs ok and the new ones well, I'm not exactly blown away by anything he does.

Maybe when I hear Chinese Democracy in full I might gather a different opinion, but for the most part he's playing pretty straight forward rock beats mixed in with programmed loops and stuff (on the new songs).

And before everyone jumps on me, this isn't a dig at Brain, I just haven't seen or heard anything very flash.

Oh, and I don't think wearing headphones is very rock n roll either... hihi

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 08:57:43 AM »

Matt solo was great no doubt, but as some of you said already drum solos are boring. It's better without such.

"...It don't really matter..."
TheMole
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 10:24:17 AM »

While I don't particularly like Matt's drum solo during the Illusion tours, I still think he's a better drummer than Brain. There's a lot of talk about how great Brain is, and while he can play the old songs ok and the new ones well, I'm not exactly blown away by anything he does.

Maybe when I hear Chinese Democracy in full I might gather a different opinion, but for the most part he's playing pretty straight forward rock beats mixed in with programmed loops and stuff (on the new songs).

And before everyone jumps on me, this isn't a dig at Brain, I just haven't seen or heard anything very flash.

Brain is a fuckin' great drummer, just listen to his primus stuff and you'll know. I agree though, his playing is boring in GNR. Much like Matt's was...
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 10:57:02 AM »

Brain is a fuckin' great drummer, just listen to his primus stuff and you'll know. I agree though, his playing is boring in GNR. Much like Matt's was...

Aside from Matt's boring drum solos, I really liked the stuff he played on the UYI albums and on tour with the band. I wouldn't have called any of that boring, but in all honsety Brain's live drumming in GN'R doesn't do much for me. Hopefully CD will showcase his skills.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 11:01:58 AM »

I think it would be awesome if Tommy would play "Attitude". ?It's a song that the band used to play live- but is a cover at the same time- so he wouldn't exactly be pissing on Duff's shoes like he would if he played "So Fine". Plus, he's a punker- I could see him pulling off a great rendition of that tune. Or... why not play "New Rose"- which I don't believe Duff ever played live? I would much prefer one of those to one of Tommy's solo songs (as much as I like them).

As far as drums go... I would much rather hear a longer extended solo from Bumblefoot. They need to show off his chops some more.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 11:04:02 AM »

my guess for tommy is that maybe he is not the most technical player, but brain is really technical, hes an amazing drummer and yet we never see any solos

it was cool to see what sorum could do back in the day, i would definately want to see what brain could do

what do you guys think

I read something once about Brain not liking to do solos. I don't know if Tommy would care to either. I know there's been alot of trash talked about the Beautiful thing, but I'm hoping they keep it.

They weren't doing it yet when I saw them in May and I've only been able to see it on the boots so far.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Ak1nney
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 11:10:26 AM »

I got an idea, no solos. BUT IF A SOLO. How about something amazingly badass involving all 3 guitar players in some crazy guitar symphony extravaganza! lol

But fo real.
gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 01:39:34 PM »

what do you guys think

I personnally think solos are annoying. I'd rather hear another song than a solo.  Last thing I wanna hear is another solo.

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 01:43:42 PM »

Am I the only person here that hated sorum and his solos? I didn't think he had too much talent for a drummer, let alone GNR... Brain could own Sorum any day, IMO.

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: