Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:49:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  WTTJ as opening song how does it make you feel
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WTTJ as opening song how does it make you feel  (Read 13989 times)
Brody
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2006, 09:22:58 PM »

I think they should definately open wit wttj... its not rehash when 99.9 percent of the fans want to hear it!
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2006, 09:26:46 PM »

At the moment nothing makes a better opener than Welcome to the Jungle.  It was written to be an opening song.  Maybe once the new band starts playing more new songs (whether or not the album is released when they start playing them) they may come across a better opener.  At the moment, it's gotta be Jungle.  However, going from that to It's So Easy and then right into Brownstone might need to be mixed up again.  Playing the big 3 all in a row at the beginning is far worse, in my opinion, than having Jungle as a staple opener.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2006, 09:39:24 PM »

Jungle as the opener is as stale as a year old loaf of bread. Using that as the opener just tells you all the songs that are coming up next. These setlists are so predictable everyone knows them by heart.

its stale only to us boring cunts who hang on the internet all day, you ever thought about that!! Huh

it gives me the goosbumps, its killer!!  beer drool
... Nice covers each nice3ZZZZZZZZZZZZZz
how about the fake band bringing it to you, that;'s boring

Mike!

Were you HAMMERED when you posted these??  Grin

Just wondering by the typos, they're not like you.

Having said that, I wonder why everyone turns EVERY topic into a New Vs. Old battle instead of the subject at hand?!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2006, 09:46:27 PM »

Welcome to the rehash baby!  hihi

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2006, 09:48:10 PM »

It makes me feel like it's the fourth quarter of a football game. It makes me feel like it's the ninth inning of a baseball game. It makes me feel like it's the third period of a hockey game. Mostly, it makes me feel like getting drunk as fuck and smashing shit up.
axlsfury
Opening Act

Gonna bring you to your sha na na na na na knees

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2006, 10:07:25 PM »

It gives you that spine tingling feeling that you are about to see the most explosive band in the world kick some fuckin ass!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2006, 11:25:54 PM »

Best

Opener

Ever.

nuff said.

Seriously, after waiting an hour (or two) you are so pumped up and dying to hear that tell-tale riff that when you finally do your head just explodes.

Its like watching one of your favorite movies over and over again and the excitement that builds EVERY time when your favorite line or scene is about to come on.

I agree with DTJ too, PC is an amazing song to close with too.  If it ain't broke..........

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
daubs
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2006, 11:40:09 PM »

if they ever ended with anything other than PC i would literally cry..but i think they should mix up jungle..nightrain was a good opener, same with its so easy...  also i liked jungle when it wasent guitar to start but axl screamed 'you know where the f**k you are?".

i have one bootleg where right next door to hell was used as the opener (indiana in 1991 i think) and i liked that too...
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2006, 11:44:29 PM »

reply to this thread name, it make Honestly it makes me feels like shit? bunch of guys playing afd that I have 0 desire for..

I wish this band would get it'ds own editnity

Not to sound like a dick or anything Mike,but I have no idea why you put so much effort into a message board for a band you don't even like.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2006, 12:20:37 AM »

reply to this thread name, it make Honestly it makes me feels like shit  bunch of guys playing afd that I have 0 desire for..

Not to sound like a dick or anything Mike,but I have no idea why you put so much effort into a message board for a band you don't even like.

I kinda gotta jump in on that "not to be a dick" thing here too. I often wonder about exactly what you said. There are plenty of posters here that I know truly loved GNR at one time but just do not like the new band or anything Axl has done w/ the band since like 1996.

Although I like reading alot of the posts, I genuinely wondering (in the same "not to be a dick" vein) why some of them still come here. Or as I said before, why every thread has to dissolve into an Old V. New debate.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2006, 12:39:52 AM »

reply to this thread name, it make Honestly it makes me feels like shit? bunch of guys playing afd that I have 0 desire for..

I kinda gotta jump in on that "not to be a dick" thing here too. I often wonder about exactly what you said. There are plenty of posters here that I know truly loved GNR at one time but just do not like the new band or anything Axl has done w/ the band since like 1996.

Although I like reading alot of the posts, I genuinely wondering (in the same "not to be a dick" vein) why some of them still come here. Or as I said before, why every thread has to dissolve into an Old V. New debate.

I know exactly what you mean. I go to other message boards as well,and see people complain all the time,and have for years,yet they spent $65 on a ticket for the NY gigs..Doesn't make sense to me.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Evolution
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2006, 12:41:47 AM »

I think it's the perfect opener. The small "do do do dolodo" part that provokes the crowd, to the opening chords which I dunno, just seem to fit seeing the band in the stagelights for the first time to the crunching riff and seeing the band begin to rock out.

Same for PC perfect singalong finish.

Just for an example, if Metallica came on with Dirty Window and ended with The Unamed Feeling the fans would shit all over it. Why can't GN'R just start and end on two of their signature songs without a negative reaction?
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2006, 12:44:32 AM »

They should open with "Chinese Democracy".
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2006, 12:49:05 AM »

I dont think anyone "hates" new GNR. Everyone(even the "haters") are giving them a chance. Most old time fans are tired of hearing stuff from 20 years ago. We have endured years of hype for an album that still hasnt been released, and instead of hearing that album, we get to hear live renditions of an album from a band that wasn't even part of it.

The music from new GNR is incredible. You might label me as one of the "haters", but when the new songs leaked I was in front of the line raving about how great some of those songs are. Hell, I consider The Blues, CITR, and Better as some of the best GNR songs ever. I consider The Blues to be a true masterpiece, and it could have easily replaced any song from UYI 1 or 2.

EVERYONE is giving the band a chance. People just want to see what GNR has to offer now instead of these constant trips down memory lane. The new band needs its own identity, and AFD isnt going to give it to them.

Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2006, 12:52:10 AM »

I dont think anyone "hates" new GNR. Everyone(even the "haters") are giving them a chance. Most old time fans are tired of hearing stuff from 20 years ago. We have endured years of hype for an album that still hasnt been released, and instead of hearing that album, we get to hear live renditions of an album from a band that wasn't even part of it.

The music from new GNR is incredible. You might label me as one of the "haters", but when the new songs leaked I was in front of the line raving about how great some of those songs are. Hell, I consider The Blues, CITR, and Better as some of the best GNR songs ever. I consider The Blues to be a true masterpiece, and it could have easily replaced any song from UYI 1 or 2.

EVERYONE is giving the band a chance. People just want to see what GNR has to offer now instead of these constant trips down memory lane. The new band needs its own identity, and AFD isnt going to give it to them.

I sympathise with this to a degree. I was hoping this 06 tour would be out to prove to the world that 13 years of work hasnt been wasted.

Oh well, guess we have to wait for the album.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2006, 01:00:21 AM »

I sympathise with this to a degree. I was hoping this 06 tour would be out to prove to the world that 13 years of work hasnt been wasted.

Oh well, guess we have to wait for the album.

As do I, but, if the 2006 version of GnR goes on to release CD and then say 4-5 more albums, I am STILL going to want to hear WTTJ and PC and some other AFD hits when I see them in concert.  They can't just completely ignore the old stuff, otherwise it would be silly to call it Guns N' Roses.  But, for now, I can see why some are dying to hear new songs and less AFD/UYI.  Give it time, the set list will def change when CD drops or a single is released.  I've been there in the trenches from the beginning and nothing will make me happier then when CD is released and we have new material, but after going to 2 out of 4 NYC shows - seeing Axl on stage and hearing those classic songs getting the shit played out of them was a nice way to hold me over.   beer

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2006, 01:08:23 AM »

Hanna, I agree to a certain extent. But 80% of AFd doesn't have to be played. The fans arent demanding it. Ok, lets say Jungle is always the opener. Thats 1 AFD hit. What else do you want? Do you want most of it and for most of the other gNR albums to be ignored, or are you willing to have him select certain AFD songs to be played(like during UYI tour)? Like you, I have been "in the trenches" since the beginning, and in my opinion, the only AFD songs that are almost required would be Jungle, SCOM, and PC. You might could put ISE and Brownstone in that category, and maybe NT. Maybe alternate NT with RQ or something on different nights. There just isnt a reason to dig so deep into AFD. Most fans, while waiting for CD, would rather hear something like DC, DTJ,etc. instead of My Michelle, OTGM,etc.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2006, 01:30:26 AM »

Hanna, I agree to a certain extent. But 80% of AFd doesn't have to be played. The fans arent demanding it. Ok, lets say Jungle is always the opener. Thats 1 AFD hit. What else do you want? Do you want most of it and for most of the other gNR albums to be ignored, or are you willing to have him select certain AFD songs to be played(like during UYI tour)? Like you, I have been "in the trenches" since the beginning, and in my opinion, the only AFD songs that are almost required would be Jungle, SCOM, and PC. You might could put ISE and Brownstone in that category, and maybe NT. Maybe alternate NT with RQ or something on different nights. There just isnt a reason to dig so deep into AFD. Most fans, while waiting for CD, would rather hear something like DC, DTJ,etc. instead of My Michelle, OTGM,etc.

My MUST HAVE AFD songs would be:

WTTJ
PC
NT - the outro is just way to killer
SCOM
ISE
and
RQ (just a huge personal fave)

My michelle with Bas was AWESOME, but that is just going to be case for NY, so I could do without it.

As for more UYI, I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking more of....if they play more UYI, its still more "live renditions of an album from a band that wasn't even part of it." right? 

Personally, the only UYI songs I think missing from the current set lsit are civil war and don't cry.  The other really really good songs are either izzy songs, too long (estranged/coma/locomotive/breakdown) or just not worthy of replacing the AFD songs you mentioned (I mean do I really need to hear bad apples or don't damn me? - they're just not as well known or as good as OTGM and My michelle).  As for the fans demanding, it was pretty clear to me from RiR5 they wanted Don't Cry so I'll give you a big  ok on that one!

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:56 AM »

As for more UYI, I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking more of....if they play more UYI, its still more "live renditions of an album from a band that wasn't even part of it." right??
Well, I would prefer all new songs, but that cant happen. So since he has to rely on old GNR material, I think it would be a better concert if Axl added alot more old material to the setlist besides mostly AFD. Examples, the UYI songs you mentioned, and hell, maybe a few off TSI that most hardcore fans like(Aint it Fun, Down on the Farm, Black Leather,etc). Maybe even perform Move to the City or Mama Kin. Just mix things up a little. That way, when you go see a GNR concert before the album comes out, you have no idea what they will open with, and no clue as to what the exact setlist will be.

Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2006, 01:40:45 AM »

Yea, as for the UYI stuff it would be nice to hear a setlist more different than 01/ 02.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: