Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:07:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  WTTJ as opening song how does it make you feel
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WTTJ as opening song how does it make you feel  (Read 13958 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2006, 02:30:44 AM »

Goosebumps...........
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2006, 11:11:01 AM »

WTTJ was always the perfect opener, but now that Axl doesn't do the whole scream-intro I'm not so sure.  It feels a little empty now.  It still fires up the crowd though so I guess it does it's job.

sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2006, 11:11:47 AM »

Goosebumps...........

I have to agree.

It is just expected but a welcomed expected.

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2006, 01:21:28 PM »

I kinda gotta jump in on that "not to be a dick" thing here too. I often wonder about exactly what you said. There are plenty of posters here that I know truly loved GNR at one time but just do not like the new band or anything Axl has done w/ the band since like 1996.

Although I like reading alot of the posts, I genuinely wondering (in the same "not to be a dick" vein) why some of them still come here. Or as I said before, why every thread has to dissolve into an Old V. New debate.
I dont think anyone "hates" new GNR. Everyone(even the "haters") are giving them a chance. Most old time fans are tired of hearing stuff from 20 years ago. We have endured years of hype for an album that still hasnt been released, and instead of hearing that album, we get to hear live renditions of an album from a band that wasn't even part of it.

The music from new GNR is incredible. You might label me as one of the "haters", but when the new songs leaked I was in front of the line raving about how great some of those songs are. Hell, I consider The Blues, CITR, and Better as some of the best GNR songs ever. I consider The Blues to be a true masterpiece, and it could have easily replaced any song from UYI 1 or 2.

EVERYONE is giving the band a chance. People just want to see what GNR has to offer now instead of these constant trips down memory lane. The new band needs its own identity, and AFD isnt going to give it to them.

exactly, why would people think I get pumped to hear axl and some dudes keep playing wttj, why should I get goosebumps when the guys playing have nothing to do with the song besides axl...

Would I get pumped up if others singers were doing gnr tunes..? it would be different but not the same feeling as when axl sings.. Band members who weren't apart playing is no different then someone else singing these songs... I'd rather have the guys who worked on it.. Why am I hearing as many old gnr tunes today as 15 years ago when it's a whole new band, why do people who know others are old time fans not get why we don't get excited to hear jungle from 7 other players plus axl..?? Undecided

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2006, 01:47:34 PM »

I kinda gotta jump in on that "not to be a dick" thing here too. I often wonder about exactly what you said. There are plenty of posters here that I know truly loved GNR at one time but just do not like the new band or anything Axl has done w/ the band since like 1996.

Although I like reading alot of the posts, I genuinely wondering (in the same "not to be a dick" vein) why some of them still come here. Or as I said before, why every thread has to dissolve into an Old V. New debate.
I dont think anyone "hates" new GNR. Everyone(even the "haters") are giving them a chance. Most old time fans are tired of hearing stuff from 20 years ago. We have endured years of hype for an album that still hasnt been released, and instead of hearing that album, we get to hear live renditions of an album from a band that wasn't even part of it.

The music from new GNR is incredible. You might label me as one of the "haters", but when the new songs leaked I was in front of the line raving about how great some of those songs are. Hell, I consider The Blues, CITR, and Better as some of the best GNR songs ever. I consider The Blues to be a true masterpiece, and it could have easily replaced any song from UYI 1 or 2.

EVERYONE is giving the band a chance. People just want to see what GNR has to offer now instead of these constant trips down memory lane. The new band needs its own identity, and AFD isnt going to give it to them.

exactly, why would people think I get pumped to hear axl and some dudes keep playing wttj, why should I get goosebumps when the guys playing have nothing to do with the song besides axl...

Would I get pumped up if others singers were doing gnr tunes..? it would be different but not the same feeling as when axl sings.. Band members who weren't apart playing is no different then someone else singing these songs... I'd rather have the guys who worked on it.. Why am I hearing as many old gnr tunes today as 15 years ago when it's a whole new band, why do people who know others are old time fans not get why we don't get excited to hear jungle from 7 other players plus axl..?? Undecided

IMO in this particular case it sounds like you are taking about a complete cover band.   I would in no way shape or form get goosebumps from a total cover band...but when Axl comes out with that scream or just knowing that he is a part of it that is good enough for me.   I mean sure they didn't write but Axl did and since it's all about him too, I get excited and goosebumps when they open with that or play the old tunes.  I don't look at sooooo seriously that just because the band didn't write it doesn't excite me.   I mean...if they did get back to together we saw them live...I think most of us if not all would have corinarys cuz the excitement would be far to great...but for now...this is still exciting and will continue to be until CD is released and we get more material.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2006, 01:56:21 PM »

well of course it was great to see axl, but hearing jungle makes me think others too.. So for people who axl is their favorite it is possible any incarnation of gnr would be cool by them..

There's just something about the band who did the songs be behind him playing them..

it would be like if someone said who would you rather hear doing my michelle axl or sebation, eevryone would pretty much say axl..

I rather hear the others play wttj, same thing to me..

When I hear vr do brownstone the excitment isn't the same either..

It's like cherone or corabi doing vh or crue tunes of old..
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2006, 02:04:52 PM »

well of course it was great to see axl, but hearing jungle makes me think others too.. So for people who axl is their favorite it is possible any incarnation of gnr would be cool by them..

There's just something about the band who did the songs be behind him playing them..

it would be like if someone said who would you rather hear doing my michelle axl or sebation, eevryone would pretty much say axl..

I rather hear the others play wttj, same thing to me..

When I hear vr do brownstone the excitment isn't the same either..

It's like cherone or corabi doing vh or crue tunes of old..

Lead singers of bands are the most identifiable IMO...I was definitely more excited to see Axl do Brownstone and It's So Easy then VR ..I mean it was rocking and great to see VR do it but I didn't get that same rush like I did Axl.  But also it is a matter of opinion depends who is your fav in the band.  Most people would say DLR couldn't pull off any Van Halen songs solo cuz Eddie was VH or vice versa..I guess it's just a matter of the individual opinion and who you really identify with..and then there are those that no matter whether it be VR or GNR doing GNR tunes it's equally as great.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2006, 02:45:01 PM »

Opening with WTTJ is like The Stones opening with Start Me Up. Neither are anywhere near my favourite songs by the band, but they both create a huge audience adrenalin rush and that's the main point of an opening song IMO - to get the audience totally pumped up and into it from the start.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2006, 03:44:48 PM »

I have been saying this for some time as well.

Me too.  opening with CD got it made.

No doubt WTTJ is a supreme opener.
While "standing by for GNR", knowing I'd be hearing the intro of the song at any minute and I got thrilled.
this firsthand experience convinced me that the setlist for this round ought to be that way.

When we hear Chinese Democracy or manby another new song, opening a show, we won't hear most of the old songs they're playing now, I imagine. this first song, at the same time, will open a new chapter in the band (and in the history of rock music, I hope) .
And I can see still james moaning about as how they play few old songs.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2006, 04:11:28 PM »

And I can see still james moaning about as how they play few old songs.
rofl It seems like you would actually agree with what I was saying. For ages, you have been saying this new band is better, and how the past is the past and for everyone to move on. That CD is whats important and the old stuff is relics from the past. But I guess since Axl doesn't seem to agree,  you are backing off from those prior statements.

I would agree that CD would be a good opening song. Even something unknown would be great. People seem to forget that before the UYI albums came out Right Next Door to Hell and Perfect Crime were used as openers. It didnt hurt the show by doing that.

NiGhTrAiN?
Headliner

Where's my Geritol? I need some Ensure

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2006, 04:29:24 PM »

they're a new band, they should open with a new song. I think personally Chinese Democracy would be a killer opener, the new version's got a killer intro.
but I actually thought it should have been the opener in 2002 too. the way Robin plays the new intro kinda resembles the way he starts with WTTJ, kinda teasing the audience of what to come, and then bust into the song!

I love WTTJ but hey CD would be killer too with all those flames on stage. That's rock  smoking
EFISH
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2006, 04:32:32 PM »

the concerts after CD is realeased (probably the US tour) should start with Chinese Democracy... until then..... do you know where the fuck you areeeeeeeeee? welcome to the jungle!
CocaineTongue22
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2006, 09:11:38 PM »

Jungle. The signature, and one of the best rock songs ever written. The place always erupts.
badapple81
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2006, 09:14:40 PM »

I get hyped just listening to the opening riff of Jungle on the NY boots.. it's the perfect opener.

SLC described if perfectly with one word.. goosebumps.
bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2006, 09:39:34 PM »

I agree...WTTJ is a great opener and tough to beat by any band.  If CD gets rolling big after it's release...then maybe CD as an opener would kick ass.  I see no problem opening with jungle and closing with PC, but I would love to see a very random set list in between these two.  Also, I would like them to drop covers like LALD and KOHD and add other rare tunes instead.

I bet they introduce many more tunes after the CD is released over the course of their tour.  However, I also believe our hardcore fan community sometimes thinks that all other concert attendees think like us.  When most of them love exactly what setlist this band is doing every night right now.
Scarlett
Headliner

Someday.......

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2006, 11:13:36 PM »

Jungle is such a powerful song to open with. Definitely my favourite. Massive build up...Crowd always go nuts!!!

I agree. That song will never get old, IMO.

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
Even cold November rain
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2006, 11:46:02 PM »

the way robin plays jungle--with the 'tease riffs'--it will always give me goosebumps

but i'd prefer they open with a new track-one that defines the band as constituted now. i think the reworked CD from this tour would be perfect for that-then launch into an AFD one right after.

but it's probably irrelevant, as i will buy a ticket either way...it's more what the non-diehard public expects from a guns show---and jungle is a staple, and will probably remain the opener even after a new record is out.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2006, 02:25:24 AM »

I'd rather here the new band with Axl playing the old songs, than never have a chance to hear them live again which is the alternative.  There will never be a reunion.  Hearing Axl sing his old songs with new band members is the closest thing you'll ever hear to the old Guns N Roses again
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: