Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 11:05:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227960 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Why is Steven Adler on Civil War?
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why is Steven Adler on Civil War?  (Read 5743 times)
Sam
Headliner

"Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Dizzy Reed"

« on: February 05, 2006, 03:52:34 PM »

He's not any other USI songs, why didn't Matt just lay down his track?

"Tell me what you're gonna believe"
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:16:45 AM »

I think it was mainly because THEY had already finished recording the song, so why would they do it again? beer
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 06:37:03 AM »

cos they needed his "jazz" on at least 1 song..

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
wadey
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 12:28:38 PM »

i saw steven adler and his new line up last night at bradford rio's and they played civil war. absolutely amazing... even now adler is better on drums than matt.

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 12:43:26 PM »

Damn, Steven Rules!!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »

hell yeah he does!!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 03:09:54 PM »

i like matt more. I think they left it cause they already made so many edits, redoing it would be so shitty. Also wouldnt he have songwriting credits?

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Sam
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 04:13:58 PM »

I also heard that when they were recording, Steven was so messed up on drugs, they had to edit the drum track just so they could play to it.

Sweet s
Rocker

Here There Everywhere

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:24:38 AM »

He Recorded Civil war but could hardly get thorough that as he was so high and was fired soon after and they didn't want to re-record the song so they kept it and att played on the rest of the albums

We Love To Treat Women Great ,But We Havn't got Any Money So We Treat Them Like Shit-Izzy Stradlin 1986
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 11:54:02 AM »

He Recorded Civil war but could hardly get thorough that as he was so high and was fired soon after and they didn't want to re-record the song so they kept it and att played on the rest of the albums

actually i read he was detoxing off Heroin at the time and that will fuck you up more than being on it
Sam
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 04:33:58 PM »

actually i read he was detoxing off Heroin at the time and that will fuck you up more than being on it

Yeah that's what I read.

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 11:32:50 PM »

Guys, there should be only 1 BASHING thread for Adler...  you know to stop bashing him every time there is news about him...  peace
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 04:30:31 PM »

to quote a famous GnR song "It's So Easy" to bash Steven
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 04:43:16 PM »

haha no way...
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 08:18:39 PM »

steven plays in this song cuz this song was realased before the discs for a movie soundtrack when steven was in the band...

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
AMS
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 09:26:32 PM »

I saw Steven Adler at a local club and he gave me one if his drumsticks! Grin Lucky me!

They recorded it with Steven because Matt sucks.
Sweet s
Rocker

Here There Everywhere

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 05:48:00 AM »

Apparently Steven's playing was so bad when they started to record UYI that he couldn't even hold his drum sticks all the other guys were telling him how Fucked up he was but he wouldn't listen to them

We Love To Treat Women Great ,But We Havn't got Any Money So We Treat Them Like Shit-Izzy Stradlin 1986
AMS
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 10:22:03 AM »

Because he was sick from heroine.

Slash told him that he had to record it "now" though, in order to save money. But Steven was getting affected by his drugs.

You can't blame Steven for using drugs, everyone was at this time. Axl just wanted Steven out.
Sweet s
Rocker

Here There Everywhere

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:17 AM »

I heard That Axl used to kick steven in the balls every time he saw him hihi

IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 11:00:32 AM »

Wether Steven was fucked up on drugs or not, his style and groove gave the songs their feel and swing. The punkrock attitude which is missing on the Sorum songs. But to each their own..

http://www.gnrinfo.tk/

In Their Own Words

Slash: We did "Civil War" with Steve Adler, and before I could put the guitars on, we had to edit the drums because he was so out of time. He couldn't keep his meter together. So it was another one of those situations where I had to judge when he was gonna come in.

Steven: I had to play it like 25 times until it was useable. My timing was so up and down because I was so weak. The whole time I kept telling the guys, "I don?t feel good, I?m really down" and they kept saying "You're just fucked up", "I?m not fucked up!" I was sick from an opiate blocker I got from a doctor that Doug Goldstein took me too. I think he knew what effect it would have on me...I wanted to wait another week or so before we went in to the studio to record. Slash says that we couldn?t waste the money, and we had to do it that day. They all knew I was sick....it?s a great song, it came out great, but I?m sure had I not been in the position that they put me in I would have nailed it in one take. Slash called me on a Thursday, knowing that I was sick, and said "We?re going in the studio this weekend" I said "dude, you know I can?t go, I?m sick from this bullshit medication". He said we can?t waste the money, an I said don?t even tell me about wasting money, we know somebody who wasted plenty of fucking money! If one of them was sick, it would have been postponed! We just weren't a team anymore.

Slash: It's the same version [as the one on Nobody's Child - Romanian Angel Appeal], just mixed better. It was ironic in the timing when it came out. When we recorded that, it wasn't in our normal studio. I didn't have a normal amp. It was one of those things where we had to do it because we were doing it for a benefit album, and it was a rush thing. The song was great, but Steven couldn't play. It took two days just to get the drums. That's out of the norm for us. I had to use a rented amp, and I wasn't particularly happy with the sound. Then Clink tried to mix it in a couple of different studios. I wasn't happy with the mix, and we usually don't use Clink to mix. We sat in on the mix, but I couldn't get it right. I don't like the studio. When it came time to use it for our album, we had it mixed by Bill Price, who is awesome.

Slash: I love playing "Paradise City" and "Civil War." Sometimes it's because they're comfortable and sometimes because I can put in more energy without compromising the quality of my playing. Sometimes it's a give-and-take thing
Sweet s
Rocker

Here There Everywhere

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 11:24:54 AM »

Slash said On the behind the scenes programme that when they started to record the UYI albums Steven would li to them saying he had no drugs then the Other Gunners would go to his house and find Stashes of Drugs Hidden behind the Toilet ETC..... Undecided

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: