Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:25:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Why Izzy doesn't play guitar on Civil War?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Izzy doesn't play guitar on Civil War?  (Read 3714 times)
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« on: March 15, 2006, 03:16:21 PM »

Well.. I bought UYI II many years ago, but I haven't ever noticed that Izzy doesn't play guitar on Civil War. Or if he does, he's not mentioned at the end of the lyrics anyway. Why is that? Is it simply because it's Slash's song? Noooo.. that doesn't make any sense Tongue But if there is a reason for that, I would like hear it.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 05:53:34 PM »

I haven't heard that he wasn't on Civil War... I always thought he was. But I can't be sure.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Olorin
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:33:26 PM »

He isnt on a few of the songs recorded for the illusions, he helped write most but when it came to recording for the album he didnt turn up, he was so fucked off with them at the time, he even had his own tour bus remember, he was distancing himself from them more and more until he just decided he had enough and left. He left the band before the illusions were released.
It is a miracle those albums were even made, the band was in pieces and rarely were in the studio at the same time. Izzy was most detatched and Slash had to cover for him on the final sessions.
Remember the don't cry video - "where's Izzy?", the live and let die video - the milk carton with Izzy's picture with the word "Missing" pasted across it.

Basically he just stopped turned up to sessions, thats why he isnt on it.

He didnt even know what would be on the final albums, he got his copies when they were released.

A brilliant quote from him regarding My World - "I got to the end of the album and was like, What the fuck is this shit?!"

He didnt even know it existed. Poor guy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 06:37:12 PM by Olorin » Logged
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 01:30:14 AM »

Yeah I know that they had problems with Izzy, but I didnt know that he didn't play on some songs at all Huh Axl said something like "Izzy's songs are on the album 'cause I wanted them to be. When Izzy had the songs on a four-track he said that now they're ready. People dont want that kind of stuff, they want a high-quality album."

Maybe I should read the booklets with attention hihi

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
McDuff
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 02:51:18 AM »

Yeah if I remember right on Civil War it just says Slash Lead and Rhythm and Acoustic guitar,you can listen and hear that Izzy's not on that song,I think most of the songs he does play on,but his guitar is really low in the mix
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 05:40:37 AM »

Remember that CW was recorded as early as 1990. All other songs on UYI is from 1991.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 11:17:57 AM »

Izzy likes fast recording, Duff said everybody did except Axl. When Axl or Slash said to Izzy play that note again he'd go "Why? I already played it". He didn't want to redo things, what's done was done. So they used a lot of his "scratch" tracks that where part of the basic track (live) recording.

Izzy did basic tracks with the rest of the guys in two weeks, then vocals and leads took one year. Izzy also said that he'd be at the studio by noon like they agreed to and at four o' clock in the afternoon Axl or Slash still weren't there. So usually he was there but left again before Axl and Slash showed up. He also said that he left cause if he waited till he arrived he knew Axl was gonna be even more late the next time.

Slash plays guitar on a few songs not cause Izzy wasn't there but because he didn't like the way Izzy play it. On Locomotive for example he did Izzy's parts cause they weren't agressive enough.

Also there are several credit mistakes made, first on Double Talkin' Jive the lead guitar is not played by Izzy, he doesn't play the solo. Secondly his rhythm guitar is not on Coma, it's not Izzy's sound and he doesn't palm mute that heavy ever.

Also unlike the credits say I think Izzy does play on Civil War cause it is his sound and it doesn't sound like Slash, not as heavy.
For example in the intro these short lead notes are played, it sounds like Izzy's guitar to me, very bluesy. Just compare it by watching the Civil War video from Farm Aid..
awolgnr
Headliner

Don't you think that you need somebody?

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 01:31:18 AM »

Izzy doesn't play guitar on Shotgun Blues either.  The rhythm is supposedly Axl, with Slash playing lead.  I think the rhythm is too good to be Axl, personally.  Izzy does play the cool coral sitar intro at the beginning of Pretty Tied Up though.  I always assumed it was Slash, but its not. 

I've been where I have been and I've seen what I have seen...
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 06:30:06 AM »

i once heard that slash was real pleased when izzy left the band and gilby joined because he like'd the way gilby played better

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 06:42:49 AM »

i once heard that slash was real pleased when izzy left the band and gilby joined because he like'd the way gilby played better

That's what he said yeah, he said he was always irritated about Izzy's playing and with Gilby it was much more tight. But Slash only said that cause he was pissed Izzy left. With Snakepit 2 he said Ryan Roxie was like a better version of Gilby, and with VR he said the only two guitarists he really ever meshed with where Izzy and Dave. It's all about the moment..
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 06:47:39 AM »

Izzy doesn't play guitar on Shotgun Blues either.? The rhythm is supposedly Axl, with Slash playing lead.? I think the rhythm is too good to be Axl, personally.? Izzy does play the cool coral sitar intro at the beginning of Pretty Tied Up though.? I always assumed it was Slash, but its not.?

Yeah that's a mystery for me too... again it sounds like Izzy, the chopping pick style like the palm muting only soft and bluesy.
I haven't heard Axl play electric guitar on another song so I can't compare but to me it sounds like Izzy. And if it is indeed Axl he's likely using Izzy's equipment.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: