Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 11:00:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227960 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Why the setlist rants/complaints are just lame
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why the setlist rants/complaints are just lame  (Read 2797 times)
SterileEyes
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: October 26, 2006, 07:54:38 PM »

I noticed a lot of people on here complaining that they aren't 'switching up' the setlist much the last couple of tours - or at least not as much as they used to on the UYI tour.

First of all, it's a 2 and a half hour show, second of all, they switch two or three towards the end of the set - You're Crazy, Rocket Queen, Used To Love Her, Out Ta Get Me, and various new stuff gets switched in and out all the time.

They don't play a lot of the UYI stuff because they are Slash and Izzy songs. You won't see this group attempting 'Locomotive', 'Coma', or 'Pretty Tied Up' anytime soon. Maybe 'Yesterdays' or 'Dead Horse' eventually, those are I think the only two that I can imagine them dusting off.

The fact is, Axl and Co. could get away with playing the same exact 90 minute set every night with 5 songs off Appetite and 99% of the audience would eat it up. He is 44 years old and is doing waaaaaaay more onstage than he technically has to in order to give a crowd pleasing show.

He does not need to do 11 songs off Appetite every night. He does not need to sprint from one side of the stage to the other every night at his age. He does not need to do that loudass sustained scream at the beginning of Jungle every night as it's not on the record that way. He is choosing to go the extra mile just like he always has.

I'm actually one of those 'it should be called the Axl Band' type-people, I don't like that he goes on an hour late, and I'm just as impatient waiting for the record as all of you. But complaining about the setlist is pretty lame, I'll give him lots of credit there.

You know why he opens with the same song every night? Because it is the best possible opener according to him and 99.9% of the crowd who eat it up every night.

I've been a lurker on this site since it opened 10 years ago, so it's about time I made my first post.

Follow the link below to hear my cover of "Pretty Tied Up"

http://www.myspace.com/marlahooch1
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »

10 years? If thats true shouldn't you know that this topic isn't really worth starting a new thread for?  hihi

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 08:01:19 PM »

everyone has been a lurker for 10 years    rofl

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
SterileEyes
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 08:02:19 PM »

10 years? If thats true shouldn't you know that this topic isn't really worth starting a new thread for?? hihi

Actually, having lurked here this long, I posted my own thread knowing that folks who essentially live on this board (aka 'message board police') would go out of their way to inform me that I'm not posting in the correct thread and that it has been discussed before. You've done a great service to humanity by pointing that out. The world thanks you for your heroism.

Good job Smiley

Follow the link below to hear my cover of "Pretty Tied Up"

http://www.myspace.com/marlahooch1
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 02:27:31 AM »

basically what you're saying is that axl is only playing his songs from the illusion albums so that means the only songs axl contributed to the illusions is nov rain, you could be mine and 2 covers? and the izzy songs i don't think would be an issue due to the fact that izzy played with them in europe.

italysfinest1985
Rocker

Riding on the night train...

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 02:53:43 AM »

10 years? If thats true shouldn't you know that this topic isn't really worth starting a new thread for?? hihi

Actually, having lurked here this long, I posted my own thread knowing that folks who essentially live on this board (aka 'message board police') would go out of their way to inform me that I'm not posting in the correct thread and that it has been discussed before. You've done a great service to humanity by pointing that out. The world thanks you for your heroism.

Good job Smiley

LMFAO Sterile, nice burn.

Guns N Roses Custom Reunion Trailer (Axl & Slash)
https://youtu.be/7NdNrNslYkU
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 02:56:21 AM »

Hey Sterile, since you said you watch people on the forums (the "regulars"), whaddaya think of me? I hope I left a good impression!  beer

Your friend,

- xo Russian Roulette xo <3
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 04:13:58 AM »

I had setlist complaints too... 'til I saw them!

I don't care what they play, they kicked ass! I knew going in it was gonna be Appetite-heavy going in. At least they played Used To Love Her. I mean, I didn't realize how much of a 'casual' fan favorite that is. In Tampa, they went apeshit when that song started getting played.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 09:34:41 AM »

I had setlist complaints too... 'til I saw them!

I don't care what they play, they kicked ass! I knew going in it was gonna be Appetite-heavy going in. At least they played Used To Love Her. I mean, I didn't realize how much of a 'casual' fan favorite that is. In Tampa, they went apeshit when that song started getting played.

He's right. It's different hearing the same songs on different bootlegs as opposed to actually seeing them live. The band are going to play for the crowd in attendance, not those waiting for a bootleg to appear. If they think that 10 AFD songs is going to go over well, then they'll play 10 AFD songs. I suppose it doesn't matter what they play, it's GNR live.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 05:00:27 PM »

I dont complain about the setlist, although I do want TWAT to be a regular.  But if Axl just started playing new songs with out the CD out or any indication of the song, the crowd would really complain because they wouldnt know how to react to the song live, they would just stand there and listen, not really sure how to move or dance to it.  Now its Axl fault there is no CD and new songs out, but if they were actually to release the CD in November, and play more new shit as the tour progressed, then that would be awesome.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 04:11:23 AM »

I agree with you,, who doesnt want TWAT to be a regular?? Smiley
deadflowerII
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 09:27:47 AM »

Where the FUCK IS MADAGASCAR?Huh?That song should be part of the setlist....all the time!!!! beer
axlslasher
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 04:04:46 PM »

Who cares what they play. At least they are fuckin' playing. peace
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 01:26:55 AM »

Who cares what they play. At least they are fuckin' playing. peace

Exactly. Remember folks, they haven't even been playing a year yet since the return.

Remember the setlist complaints in 2003 & 2004? There wasn't one. That was the complaint...

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: