Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Should Critics Be Allowed to Review CD a Couple Weeks Before It Comes Out?
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should Critics Be Allowed to Review CD a Couple Weeks Before It Comes Out?  (Read 4069 times)
cybercurves
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: October 11, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »

Given the situation surrounding this album, you can bet when the critics get ahold of it, they will be going through it with a fine tooth comb.  Axl's work will be under a microscope, they will criticize every single detail about this CD.  My question is, is this really necessary in the big picture? 

The reason albums were criticized in the past was because critics were able to preview a record so you could decide whether to buy it or not, based on one critics opinion.  But now everything's changed.  You could preview the album yourself.  Stores are set up so you can preview a CD, you can listen to streaming previews on iTunes, etc.  So why bother with critics now?  As far as I'm concerned, they have no place in music anyways.  They create more negativism for the artists instead of being positive.  If I was Axl, I wouldn't allow any advance copies to be sent out to the press.  Wait until the album get's released, then the critics can do whatever they want to.

What do you guys think? 

cybercurves
Olorin
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:38:05 PM »

Thats a bit like trying to hold back the tide isnt it?

Chinese Democracy doesnt need to be wrapped in cotton wool, lifes a bitch and Axl knows it.  Some people will dig it, others will hate it and most people who have many other concerns in life to be concentrating on, wont really give a damn either way.

All music, films, books etc are reviewed by critics on their release, some kindly and some harshly but ultimately it is the quality of the actual product that speaks loudest.

IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 01:26:48 PM »

The media has been reviewing this for 6 years...They obviously never heard the album then, so screw the dishonest SOB's!  No need to let them use ChiDem to sell their magazines...the Album will speak for itself. ok 

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
gnrrock
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »

If they have heard it then sure.  Why not?  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Will not effect mine!
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 01:52:59 PM »

Unfortunately, unless the critics are die hard rock fans, I don't see CD getting rave reviews for one simple reason... it's not a "pop" CD.  The only song I have heard from it that sounds half-way poppish is "Better".  Like it or not, CD is going to be a technically proficient album that flies over the heads of most of the mainstream.  This may be true for a lot of Guns fans.  You see, a song like "Shackler's Revenge" is way too technical for mainstream radio.  Guitar enthusiasts will love it.  This is an album for "rock geeks", not one for the masses.  That's the way I see it unfolding... and yes, I consider myself a "rock geek".   Wink
gnrrock
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »

You may be wrong.  Axl has always fount a way to cross lines and get those who enjoy many genres of music to listen.  Remember much of the sounds of GNR were diff.  In fact each album that was released in the past was new version of GNR and new sound.  Hey, and Metallica's new cd got pretty good reviews which leaves me to believe there are those out there that enjoy good music.
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »

unfortunately even tho on its own CD may be a great album... it's not AFD. That's all critics care about. Can axl make a record that's better than AFD with 13 yrs/$13M??? That's all it is. It could sel 10 million copies, debit #1, and all that shit.. but critics are gonna nail it.

The most popular sentiment is gonna be this... "13 years for this???" "Axl broke up GNR for this??"

Unfortunately that's how criticism is going to be. I wish it wasn't this way... reviews are going to kill sales tho IMO.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
gnrrock
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »

We shall see.  Need a strong single and sit back and see what happens.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 02:21:39 PM »

I think it will be 50/50 when it comes to reviews, people are either gonna give at good review or trash it cause it's not up to their expectations for being a over a decade production.  I don't care about what they say aslong as it brings in new fan's and im not talking about the one's who go oh new GnR I didn't like them before but since everybody likes it I will.  I get a ton of that type of stuff were I live.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 02:41:22 PM »

unfortunately even tho on its own CD may be a great album... it's not AFD. That's all critics care about. Can axl make a record that's better than AFD with 13 yrs/$13M??? That's all it is. It could sel 10 million copies, debit #1, and all that shit.. but critics are gonna nail it.

The most popular sentiment is gonna be this... "13 years for this???" "Axl broke up GNR for this??"

Unfortunately that's how criticism is going to be. I wish it wasn't this way... reviews are going to kill sales tho IMO.

bad reviews are better than no reviews. gnr need lots of attention. that's what it is about, when it comes to selling lots of cds. bad reviews hardly ever effect the sales. there's other reasons. you have to catch a certain spirit of the age/time and be perceived...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:46:55 PM by whiny » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 03:36:15 PM »

As long as I can somehow qualify as a "Critic," then yes.  yes

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 03:45:01 PM »

I sincerely doubt this album will leak before release date.

Even if the current Best Buy news is true, I just don't see any copies leaving authorized hands until the morning of 11/23.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 04:09:33 PM »

I sincerely doubt this album will leak before release date.

Even if the current Best Buy news is true, I just don't see any copies leaving authorized hands until the morning of 11/23.

I hope not.  Enough of it has leaked out, I don't see how anyone would want to download it a week early or whatever when there would be a physical copy in their hands soon anyways.   I hope most of the GnR boards out there will have enough respect for the band to curb discussion on anything else that leaks until the album is out cuz I want my first impression of the entire album to be my own after I buy it.
burnz007
Rocker

Kick'n back in the shadows...

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »

Considering Axl's disdain for music "critics" I doubt they will send out an advance copy to them.  GNR probably only care what the fans think, and even then they might not give a shit. 
Some critics will praise it, others will pan it... I'm sure they'll plenty of "it's great, but not a 14-year-wait great" and "it's not GNR without Slash/Duff" shit. 
I don't think they need the attention... they've had plenty of that with just the anticipation of the album and all the news reports about the unconfirmed Nov.23rd release date... also the fact WTTJ is played at nearly every sporting event across the country
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 05:57:29 PM »

I feel as if there is a number of critics who have probably already written most of their reviews.  Its like often celebrity obituaries are written ahead of time, Chinese Democracy reviews are stuffed away waiting for the actual release where upon critics will add a few zingers about certain tracks.  Now, as the original poster was concerned about critics going through the album with a fine tooth comb, I think it'll be just the opposite, where critics will make snap judgements of the material without listening to things critically enough to peal the layers of what will be complex arrangments.  I do hope there are repuatable critics that will give it a fair shot and not try to make it fail against some unrealistic expectations because the album took so long to release.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »

I feel as if there is a number of critics who have probably already written most of their reviews.  Its like often celebrity obituaries are written ahead of time, Chinese Democracy reviews are stuffed away waiting for the actual release where upon critics will add a few zingers about certain tracks.  Now, as the original poster was concerned about critics going through the album with a fine tooth comb, I think it'll be just the opposite, where critics will make snap judgements of the material without listening to things critically enough to peal the layers of what will be complex arrangments.  I do hope there are repuatable critics that will give it a fair shot and not try to make it fail against some unrealistic expectations because the album took so long to release.
See my earlier post...exactly my thoughts...they don't even listen to what they are reviewing.

How many times have you read "If The World - which plays over the credits..." accompanying reviews of that song.  From what I have heard, and seen written here, the song runs over the closing scene - prior to the credits...they all graft from one story (which they probably googled from their laptop), and try to put their 'own' spin on it...too lazy to actually see the movie/hear the song.

Critics are just paid opinionizers (is that a word?)...and you know what they say about opinions:  Everyone has their own - so why would anyone need more in their life. ok

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »

"Well, Chinese Democracy is finally out, and all I can say is "We've waited fifteen years for this?"  Axl has been tweaking with most of these songs for years, and it shows.  They sound dated and over-produced. Its going to obvious to GNR fans that Slash's guitar work is sorely missed.  Now Axl has surrounded himself with a bunch of hired musicians who look like a freakshow. Some songs show a slight glimps of what could have been if the real band had stayed together.  However, most of the songs fall short of being anything special." <----Example of what kind of "reviews" we are going to see. Already written, just waiting to be printed.
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 06:58:49 PM »

"Well, Chinese Democracy is finally out, and all I can say is "We've waited fifteen years for this?"  Axl has been tweaking with most of these songs for years, and it shows.  They sound dated and over-produced. Its going to obvious to GNR fans that Slash's guitar work is sorely missed.  Now Axl has surrounded himself with a bunch of hired musicians who look like a freakshow. Some songs show a slight glimps of what could have been if the real band had stayed together.  However, most of the songs fall short of being anything special." <----Example of what kind of "reviews" we are going to see. Already written, just waiting to be printed.

The musicianship is awesome, maybe too techie for you, but it's superb.  Can't fault Axl for the hired guns, because they fucking rock!  But this is essentially Axl's solo project. 
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »

You missed my point.  Those arent my opinions. Its an example of what kind of reviews we are going to see.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 07:14:17 PM »

The musicianship is awesome, maybe too techie for you, but it's superb.  Can't fault Axl for the hired guns, because they fucking rock!  But this is essentially Axl's solo project. 

No, its not.

You missed my point.  Those arent my opinions. Its an example of what kind of reviews we are going to see.

I understood your point.  There are a lot who have already written GnR off, and anyone who doesn't give this album a fair listen without that kind of bias isn't a real journalist.   It should be all about the music, thats all it is, music.   
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 07:20:20 PM »

i think giving critics cds to review early is a free ticket to insta leak.

Axl wont do it.

html sucks
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 12:41:54 AM »

Like Maxim Magazine "reviewed" Warpaint even though they didn't even get a copy?

No thank you.

There will be plenty of time to review the album after it's out.
ben9785
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 06:51:07 AM »

You know what the truth is?

They're not going to care about the music.

Every single bloody article that comes out about this album is going to be based on the same shit:

-boo hoo it took so long
-axl blah blah rumour blah axl blah blah lie blah
-ahhh slash and duff arent there, its not the same anymore, its not the same band, waaa

And maybe if we're lucky they might make a note about the music:

-why doesnt it sound like 'appetite for destruction'? why doesnt it sound like the 80s again? why does it sound so modern? why does it sound so unique? why does it sound so great? it can't be great because slash isn't there boo hoo

Don't even bother reading any of the reviews when they come out.

I hope GNR and the label and management realize this and don't do any favours for these 'press' by giving them copies.

Let them go out there and buy the cd listen for themselves, then they can cry about the fact they had to pay for a copy of the album instead of receiving a courtesy copy in their entire article, and at least the music will be spared
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:27:27 PM by ben857 » Logged
Shackler
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 07:28:50 AM »

Up to band management

Like the tides done on the ocean, the waves already set in motion, the only one in this game that's lost is you!!!
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: