Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:59:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227909 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  jcm2000 or Slash sig? Buying an amp.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: jcm2000 or Slash sig? Buying an amp.  (Read 7760 times)
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« on: December 31, 2004, 11:26:23 PM »

Im buying a new amplifier. I have found a Marshall Slash signature head but I dont have a chance to play it before I buy it though.

I can also get a brand new Marshall JCM 2000 with quad at a discounted price.
I heard that with the Slash head you can change the wattage from 100 to 50. Is this true? That could be great for me cause I will probably be doing bar gigs at this stage. Will the JCM 2000 be too loud? When I played it, it was friggen loud! However, cause Im new to the world of gigging Im not too sure what is too loud.

Oh yeah, is the Slash head compatible with the jcm 2000 quad box?
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 10:26:46 AM »

Never turn down the a Slash sig amp!!! drool
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 06:02:34 PM »

get the slash signature ! it's preety similar to marshall jubilee and it's also a limited edition

no need to say that it's SLASH'S sound Tongue

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 11:15:50 AM »

where did you find the slash amp, if your not getting it i will Tongue drool

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 01:19:24 PM »

You could save even more money by getting a non-silver Marshall 2555. It's the same amp as the Slash Sig minus the Snakepit logo and faux snakeskin cover. To answer your other question, yes it has a half power switch. In my opinion it sounds better full power though. The JCM 2000 probably has a better clean sound though depending on the model.
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 07:45:17 PM »

would you say it's easier to get a non-silver Marshall 2555? if so i'd defenetly get one of those instead too...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 08:42:06 PM »

Jubilees

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3773021406&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3772628272&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3772865256&rd=1

Slashs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3772609114&rd=1

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 01:20:32 AM »

would you say it's easier to get a non-silver Marshall 2555? if so i'd defenetly get one of those instead too...

They might not show up as frequently, but I got mine in May of 2004 for only $1000. The only 2555 on Ebay now is up to $1700. The black ones are the same amp on the inside... they're just cheaper.
pewing33ny
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 02:01:16 AM »

go with the jcm 800 2210. it's what slash used on appetite but it was modified but it'll get you 80% there, most of his tone was also from an the alnico II pickup and a les paul.

it'll also be much cheaper then a jubilee, and if you have to ask for gear advice on this board your not going to hear the differenec in the amps, they're very similar.

remember, slash will sound like slash through any setup. 
darkmonth
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 08:56:16 AM »

See my sig, and you'll know i have a JCM2000 TSL Head.  I can get near Slash sounds no probs.  The TSL is very versatile, and all tube.  It can go from Classic Marshall tones to more metally sounds.

Also, you can change the tubes to get a warmer, or more harsh sound, depending on what you want.

Believe me, you'll be fucking happy with a TSL.  They get bad press from Marshall purists.   But fuck em, coz they are blinded.  They think new = bad.  I'm in love with my amp.  It is all tube, and ALL sound!!!!
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 02:47:25 PM »

If you're checking out the JCM2000 TSL 100 also check out the DSL 100. Both sound great, but I happen to like the DSL tone better.
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 03:43:57 PM »

The JCM 2000 I am looking at is a dsl 100. It is alright. I have heard that Slash/jubilees are better heads though. I also heard that the jubilee is a JCM 800 with more gain.

Here in New Zealand, the dsl is $2500 brand new whereas the Slash is $1800 2nd hand.

My intention with the amp is not to rip off Slash though. I dont like Slash's tone on AFD, it sounds dead. I much prefer Izzy's on that album although Im in love with Slash's tone on the UYI records.

Also, if the I go with Slash sig, will I be able to go with the dsl 100 cab with it?
darkmonth
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 06:22:17 PM »

I dont like Slash's tone on AFD, it sounds dead

I'm... errr... sorry???

Dead?

Mate... you should not even be thinking of buying a tube amp if you think Slash's tone is dead on AFD.  It's a bloody classic example of how a tube amp can sound when rockin'!!!!

Jeez...
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 07:23:29 PM »

I dont like Slash's tone on AFD, it sounds dead.

man...  get a corkscrews, or a  drill, or a bottle opener, use it for your ears wax, and then listen again to slash's last SCOM solo. if you still think that slash guitars sounds dead, check your ears  rofl

Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 02:48:33 AM »

The lead lines sound cool but not his chords. Dont like the crunch.

At least Mike Clink agrees with me...
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 10:47:43 PM »

I played a brand new Slash Sig on the showroom way back ----  but I didnt like Marshalls then. I was mainly a clean amp guy.

For just over a year I have been playing with a Marshall JCM TSL100

I did have a great time with it, but hear are some points:

1. I think it could use a Tube change (sadly) right out of the box. That should clear up the minimal but annoying buzz
2. There Footswitches are known to break for this model.  I'm on my second one.  Note that it will cost you about $130 in the USA for a new one & that sux.

3. The TSL100 does NOT have a Master Volume. The TSL60 does however. BUT the 100 gives you EQ controlls for each channel & that is HUGE for me. The 100 Has a "Virtual Power Ruduction" button that emulates 25watts?  (I think its 25) It works decent. I used it for awhile within a band setting.

4. You said something about a 50watt oppossed to a 100.  You can pull out 2 power tubes  from the TSL100 & then PUFF!!  You have a 50Watter with more options (EQ for each channel, VPR,)  but still no Master....  not a huge big deal.

5. I Modded my Half Stack with the speakers Slash uses & had in the same pickup's =  I opened the amp up, Strummed a G & was knocked out to how close it sounded to his. (knocking on heavens door) haha  just to test. In the long the run, I ripped out his pickup's for I felt too limited in sound for songs in my project.

6. You can dial in a lot of marshall sounds... you can get pretty close to his. but as you get use to the amp, I do have some complaints about how the Mids are not punching through enuff on this amp, but take note that this is after a year of jamming on it & i'm really might just be getting particular.... but other people have said the same thing & they even make a 'Mod' to fix the shizzttt

opps... got to run

-BP

darkmonth
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 08:44:31 AM »

Well, here's my most recent post on the Marshall Amps forum...

I want everyone who has problems with their TSL to read this carefully... I've had my TSL60 for 18 months or so....

I'd like to explain my recent TSL60 Head experiences.

For the last 18 months, I have been wikid happy with my tones from my TSL. Sure, they've been SLIIIIIGHTLY harsher than I'd expect... but screw it, it's not genuinely vintage....

however... that was a stupid view. Read reviews in the press and you'll not read many bad ones on this amp...

read Harmony Central, and you'll read loads of bad reviews. These people are almost certainly just making mistakes with the hardware... they are simply doing it wrong... here's my experience last night at band practice.... (I'd phoned Marshall for this info and they guided me, an inexperienced user, to this...)

Basically, I turned the Master (PowerAmp tubes) to 10. Then on the LEAD (replace with CRUNCH if you want also) channel (which has a volume and a gain), I put the volume at 10, which pushes the preamp louder (therefore sending more power INTO the PowerAmp tubes, and therefore making them break up really well). I set the gain on the preamp down to 0. Then I start upping preamp GAIN, while lowering the volume slightly, to make sure it doesn't rip the back off of my cab... and the building! Tongue Basically, I send a slightly distorted tone into the PoweAmp, Really loud... the most distortion comes naturally off of the PowerAmp tubes and they fucking sing! Like you wouldn't believe. I honestly didn't realise I could get these tones from it. People have slagged the TSL off... I can see why. There are so many tones you can get from it... it's EASY to dial in very basic metally tones (and therefore these people don't think it can sound like a classic Marshall sound) ... but people don't buy Marshall's to play Dimebag metal... they buy it for Rock... so if you dial it in right.. it will fucking rock. Plus, I set the EQ to : BASS: 8 MID: 6 TREBLE: 7
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »

Great post Stormy -  & that is exactly why I want a Master on my 100  Sad

10. Let me add that the clean channel sux ass. If you don't care for a good clean channel, then don't worry about. 

11. TSL has Spring reverb - which aint bad.  If you need one then.... its there..  all prefferencecccccccc

-BP

AsXpLy
Rocker

guitar god

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 12:24:59 PM »

JCM 800 Wink

SECOND PLACE TO SLASH SIG....

JCM 2000..... NO WAY Wink

the 8TH AND FINAL RULE OF THE FIGHT CLUB IS:
IF IT?S YOUR FIRST NIGHT IN THE FIGHT CLUB.... YOU HAVE TO FIGHT!

[IMG]http://www.newgnr.com/bbs/images/avatars/gallery/gnr/axl19.gif[
darkmonth
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 02:44:37 PM »

JCM 2000..... NO WAY Wink

We've had this argument on the newgnr forum a year ago... and I'm sorry, but you are entirely wrong about it.  If you can't understand how to work the amp to get the right sounds, it's your loss.

read my quote above and if you say you can't get the tones I am saying you can, then you are calling me a liar.  And I am not a liar.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: