Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227840 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  i need one good distortion pedal
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: i need one good distortion pedal  (Read 13239 times)
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2005, 06:03:21 PM »

this is exactly why I suggested a DS1 for now, so when he starts to later upgrade, he'll have the option to have that pedal MODDED if he'd like.  I'd really like to try that Super MOd whatever its called for the DS1....  & it looks pretty phat eheh.

BTW I love my Rat Proco that I mentioned above ------  awesome with chords & sweet high end resonse = sizzle my shizzzle.  TS9 >> Rat >> Muff >> EQ =  I'm happy with my distortion section of my board & I just took off a popular fuzz that I won't be needing.

bp
Trouble with the DS-1 is that for it to sound awesome, you need to be overdriving a valve power amp as well.  The Blackstone imitates the even order harmonic distortion that the power tubes give you, so it's perfect for DI-ing which is what you want if you're in a studio and strapped for cash.

In response the the Hot Cake:
Sound Quality: 10
in my humble opinion this is the best tone pedal you can get. what i mean by this is it sounds awful when using it to make a clean sound distorted as it is too thick when you crank the drive, and i think as a solo boost its ok but does sap tone when disengaged as it isnt true bypass. now where this pedal comes into its own is when you use it with an already cranked amp not a modern hi gain amp but a cranked power tube amp tone. the hot cake in my opinion has one good setting, level 3o clock, mid to suit and drive at 9 o clock
from harmony-central.com

You'll still need a tupe power amp for this pedal to sound amazing, whereas with the Blackstone you don't.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2005, 07:59:01 PM »

werd on that Miz -
I just dont know about blackstone & with my thinking....  I think I'm just dumping in $$ to a start of a good rig instead of pedaling SS or TransTube or crap effects that later he won't need.

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2005, 09:32:38 PM »

I gotta say that you CANT go wrong with the Line 6 POD 2.0 .. forget the newer XT .. look for a used POD 2.0 - 2.3 on ebay! It's the BEST rig for direct recording and despite what anyone says it CAN be used for live playing.

I run my POD thru my mixer and out into my P.A system and can live anywhere I want with it.

It has KILLER tone , can run mono or stereo , 32 amps , 16 cabs , slew of effects. All right at your finger tips. I have a behringer fcb1010 midi foot controller connected to mine so I can change any sound I want with one touch of a button with my foot. like turning a stomp box off and on.

I can set up a patch for screaming crunch with delay , then click .. delay is off , click , clean sound with tremelo , click and I got a heavy sound with chorus ... anything .. it's all there. Plus the FCB gives me 2 expression pedals so I also have a wah wah and volume pedal at my feet. It's VERY versatile!! Want slashes tone? Dial it in .. JCM800 Marshall. Voila!

And since you're talking about sick distortion I'll say this and leave it at this .. once you hear the amp model called "line 6 INSANE" thats built in the POD , you'll never go back!

If you wanna hear some POD clips I've posted a thread here with some of my clips. Most were done as I was just getting used to recording on the PC but it gives a rough impression of what you can get out of it.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: